Invitation

You Mistook Me For The Stars

I. Invitation


 

It’s a quiet afternoon but mostly every day was quiet on the Isles, especially at home. Not as much excitement as one may think. Some would call it boring. Dull. Mundane. And perhaps, they were right.

 

Yet, it matters little when those opinions come from the mainland. They could never understand the beauty of The Bearclaw Isles--the home of House Kang.

 

But that’s perfectly fine. Seulgi enjoys the quiet. It was better for hunting.

 

She makes her way out of the forest as the sun was starting to set. Bow in one hand and prey in the other. A rabbit she killed with ease. All it took was one arrow. One shot. Not a single resource wasted. Good thing, too. Her quiver was nearly empty. She’d have to make more arrows sometime soon.

 

She huffs, climbing the steep hill back to the outer walls of the regional capital, Ursantrum. The guards bow as she passes through the front gates. Seulgi opts for taking a more discreet route, turning into an alley, going for the long way back home. Because if she were to take the main road, she was bound to be stopped and pulled into a conversation by at least four or five people. Not that she didn’t enjoy it but today, she was in a hurry.

 

Finally at the castle, Seulgi runs past the stone steps leading to the entrance and heads around the back to a small wooden shed. Her personal refuge.

 

She kicks the door and it swings open with a horrendous creak. Inside, logs and sticks occupied the far left corner, firewood and potential arrow shafts. Tools hung on the right wall and all over the ground near it. In the middle, a table and then behind it, against the wall, the spare bed she put there herself years ago.

 

Seulgi walks in, closing the door behind her, and then heads for the table, dropping the rabbit. Carefully, she sets her bow down as well and hangs her quiver on a nail on the wall. Then, from the holster on her thigh, she unsheathes a knife about two to three inches long. Expertly, spinning it in her palm, she contemplates.

 

What to use the fur for?

 

How to cook it?

 

Maybe she should--

 

The door slams open and Seulgi jumps, nearly cutting herself but thankfully catches her knife by the handle.

 

“Seul! Look!”

 

Her brother, Seulong, prances into the shed without invitation, wearing the widest and most annoying smile on his face.

 

“God,” Seulgi hisses, sheathing her blade. “I almost stabbed myself from you barging in here.”

 

Completely disregarding her comment, Seulong’s nose twitches. His eyes dart about and when he sees the rabbit on the table, he jumps. With a groan of disgust, he pinches his nose, taking a few steps away from the carcass.

 

“Ugh, you just came back from hunting?” he gags. “You should have put a sign on your door or something. You know I’m not very fond of dead animals.”

 

Seulgi shakes her head. Being three years older than her, one would think Seulong would be the more mature one but that was not so. In so many ways her and her brother were alike but at the same time, so different. She liked hunting. He didn’t. He liked grand parties and formal attire. She didn’t. He was brash and outspoken. She was more calm and collected. But they were both relatively easygoing people.

 

And yet differences aside, they shared many things, the same nickname being a prime example--Seul. Though, they were the only ones who used it with each other. But there was also the opinion that, despite their age difference, Seulgi and Seulong were often mistaken as twins. A sentiment Seulgi thoroughly disagreed with but didn’t bother arguing.

 

She escorts him out of the shed and closes the door behind her.

 

“Well then, perhaps you should’ve knocked first,” Seulgi says, shivering as she crosses her arms in reaction to the evening breeze starting to settle in.

 

“Tell me, who would bother knocking when they have an announcement as grand as this!” Seulong shouts and with a dramatic jump and twirl, presents a rolled letter in his right hand. “Ta-da!”

 

Curious, Seulgi’s eyes narrow, wondering what could be so special about it. That is, until she noticed the mark on the opened seal. It was from the kingdom’s capital, sent by the royal family. Her lips barely part, but before she can ask, Seulong answers her question.

 

“It’s an invitation to the Moonlight Festival at the capital!”

 

She pauses.

 

The Moonlight Festival was an annual event that took place in the kingdom’s capital, Revala, over the course of a full month. Lords and Ladies, farmers and peasants--all sorts of people from all corners of the kingdom attended. It was a joyous time. The gates were open to all. Taverns and inns within the capital were so full that many seeked rooms in the towns on the outskirts of the gates. But the things is, no one needs an invitation to attend. The Moonlight Festival is freely open to all, so… why?

 

“Invitation?” Seulgi her head to the side. “What are you talking about? You don’t need an invitation to go to the festival.”

 

“Please, I’m not stupid,” Seulong scoffed. “I received an invitation because there’s something else going on during this year’s Moonlight Festival.”

 

Seulgi arches a brow and once again, glances at the rolled letter in his hand.

 

“Something so grand that it needs an invitation?”

 

“Yes,” her brother nods as he carefully unrolls the parchment and hands it to her. “Because the Princess is looking to marry and they’re calling all the potential suitors of each Great House to come meet her. All accommodations taken care of as well.“

 

Marry? She quickly reads the letter. For there was a possibility her brother misunderstood, given how stupid he was and how quickly he was to jump in excitement, it was completely plausible. But sure enough, what he said was true.

 

Seulgi laughs, “There’s absolutely no way she’ll pick you.”

 

Seulong snatches the letter out of her hands but no so forceful that it teared. He rolls it up with the utmost care, tucking it into his back pocket.

 

“How are you so sure?” he jeers.

 

And Seulgi rolls her eyes, finding it absolutely hilarious that her brother thought he even had an inkling of a chance.

 

“Seul, you’re my brother. I know you. And I’m a girl,” she says, clearly laying out her point. “Therefore, I know most girls would not choose you to be their husband.”

 

But her brother wasn’t someone so easily discouraged, especially by her. If anything, he had a tendency to get more riled up and motivated whenever Seulgi doubted his capabilities. And sure enough, from the look on his face, Seulong accepted her words as a challenge.

 

“Whatever, Miss Charming. You’ll see,” he smiles cockily. Then in the next instant, his eyes brighten. “In fact, come with me! The festival is a month long of fun. You can enjoy yourself while I’m out wooing your future sister-in-law!”

 

Although she didn’t agree with the wooing, she was most certainly interested in the festival. She’d never been to the kingdom’s capital. Actually, she rarely had the opportunity to visit the mainland at all. Just a handful of times as a little girl when she accompanied her father.

 

Seulgi hums to herself in thought. The decision was an easy one to make.

 

“I suppose it could be fun,” she shrugs, downplaying the excitement bubbling in her chest.

 

“Right? Come on, Seul!” he says.

 

And Seulong playfully shakes her by the shoulders, knowing full well how eager she truly was. Eventually, she breaks into a laugh at his persistence and gives in.

 

“Okay, okay, I’ll come,” Seulgi grins. “But I’m telling you, don’t get your hopes up, brother. The Princess is out of your league.”

 

He smirks at her.

 

“Like I said, you’ll see.”


 

//


 

The boat ride was five days long and they arrived the exact morning of the first day of the festival. Unfortunately, they were late. Incredibly late. The opening ceremonies had already finished and once they set foot in the port, Seulong bolted for the castle, following one of the royal family’s emissaries who had been waiting for them since early morning. The other emissary took it upon himself to show Seulgi where they would be staying.

 

Because of their late arrival, most of the inns within Revala were booked. Their accommodation ended up being at an inn on the outskirts of the west gate.

 

Seulgi counted the minutes in her head. It wasn’t too bad. About a ten minute walk from the west gate to the inn. Travelling back and forth wouldn’t be a problem. Not for her, at least. Perhaps her brother would have some complaints but that was the price to being late.

 

Once she was settled with a room on the top floor, the emissary bowed.

 

“We hope you enjoy your stay during this year’s Moonlight Festival.”

 

Seulgi gave her thanks as he exited graciously.

 

The room was fine enough. Simple but spacious. Near the back, there were two beds on opposite ends of the room with a partition, sort of like a wooden screen, between them. In the left corner, closest to the door, a small vanity set complete with a chair and mirror. Beside that was the door to the bathroom.

 

After testing the comfort of both beds, Seulgi opted for the one on the left side of the room and set all their bags and travel items at the foot of their beds. But unpacking and the like could wait until later. For now, Seulgi wanted to have a look around.


 

//


 

The streets were bright and lively, crowded with people still setting up decorations, hauling supplies from wherever, or just idly walking around, sightseeing. Seulgi walks slowly, marvelling at it all. Wonder and excitement evident on her face.

 

Revala was something else. Of course, Seulgi would always prefer her home, Ursantrum. No question. But it was difficult not to admire the magnificence of the kingdom’s capital.

 

Seulgi steps to the side of the street to observe.

 

The only event for today was the opening ceremony and then, later tonight, the celebratory bonfire. A chance for everyone to drink, dance, and mingle. It seems everyone was busy with tonight’s preparation as several groups began hanging banners from the roofs of every other building lining the street. Men pushing carts of wood towards the main square. Women carrying baskets of goods right behind them.

 

Quietly, Seulgi watches, leaning against a lamp post but is quickly disturbed by the feeling of being watched. Her eyes scan the crowds. Careful to be discreet. And when she finds who it is boring holes with their stare, it’s no surprise.

 

A group of four girls, all dressed in lovely gowns and covered in precious jewels. All from wealthy families, no doubt. Perhaps even members of one of the many Great Houses coming to visit. Hard to tell when they wore nothing displaying their family arms. Seulgi purses her lips. Well then, maybe they were just rich.

 

She tilts her head and sends them a small grin, knowing full well they were scrutinizing her clothes. Seulgi was always one for comfort. Fancy dresses, beautiful jewels--she was never interested. And so, her attire was always more on the casual side. A loose-fitted white long sleeve, some fitted black trousers, and leather high boots. Upon first glance, no one would ever guess she was Lady of House Kang. More likely some tomboy-ish farm girl from an irrelevant tiny town. And she preferred it that way. Made it easier to get around.

 

The girls shamelessly continue their whispering. Clearly, they were enjoying themselves. A compliment of sorts that they found her so interesting, Seulgi supposes.

 

“Coming through! Coming through! Excuse me--Oops, sorry!”

 

Seulgi looks up the road. A tiny burly man carrying a barrel nearly bigger than he, makes his way down. Shouting to clear a path as the barrel obstructed his vision. Everyone moves out of the way save for the group of girls too busy speaking amongst themselves. Seulgi hurries across the street. The girls stare wide-eyed and in shock as she rushes over. Then, just as the man nearly collides into them, Seulgi hugs the barrel and gently stops him in his tracks.

 

“Careful, sir,” Seulgi says, peeking around to see a look of surprise upon the man’s face, wondering why he was stopped. “You nearly ran into these ladies. They didn’t quite hear you hollering with all the commotion going on.”

 

He lowers the barrel for a second. Speechless and somewhat confused, Seulgi assumes, the girls simply blink and stare.

 

“Oh, my apologies, ladies! Can’t see past this darn thing,” he laughs.

 

No one responds.

 

Seulgi turns around to see the girls still in a daze, unable to speak. She flashes them a smile and looks back at the man.

 

“Perfectly alright, sir. Might I ask what’s in the barrel?”

 

“Ale for tonight, of course,” he smiles widely as he readjusts his grip on the barrel. “What’s a giant fire without some food and drinks for everyone to enjoy?”

 

Seulgi nods with a chuckle.

 

“I couldn’t agree more. Best be on your way then,” she winks and pats him on the arm before sending him off. “Just keep a better eye out.”

 

“I most certainly will. My apologies once again, ladies,” he nods and then walks off. This time, he bobs his head left and right, making sure not to run into anyone down the street.

 

“Umm,” a quiet voice behind her struggles to speak. Seulgi looks over her shoulder. One of the girls wearing a dark blue dress, steps forward. Her eyes avoiding direct contact. Her lips were cherry red and they slightly part only to close again. Then, they slightly part once more but close right back.

 

Seulgi places both hands on her hips.

 

“Ladies, you might want to watch out as well. You don’t want to ruin your beautiful dresses,” she playfully smirks. “I hope you enjoy the bonfire tonight.”

 

She takes a step back and bows ninety degrees, then takes her leave, not bothering to wait for a reply. With so much left to see, there was no time to waste.


 

//


 

After wandering around the capital for some time, Seulgi returns to her room. Falling back onto her bed, deciding to get some rest before tonight’s bonfire. A small nap was long overdue considering she hadn’t slept well during their overseas voyage. All the rocking and swaying, she’s lucky she didn’t get seasick. But it did make her restless.

 

She shuts her eyes and slowly, breathes in and out. Already sinking into slumber when the door slams open then shut.

 

Immediately, she jumps up from the bed, only to see her brother frantic and distressed.

 

“I botched it, Seul! I completely botched it!” he exclaims, seemingly half mad. His fingers run through his hair over and over, making it a wild mess.

 

Unsure and confused, Seulgi’s brows knit together.

 

“Slow down,” she urges, attempting to calm him. But Seulong begins to pace back and forth in the room. Hands still tangled in his hair. “What do you mean?”

 

“I barely got to speak,” Seulong shakes his head. “A stuttering mess. She didn’t even look at me.” He laughs at himself pitifully, finally sitting down on the vanity chair. “How could I have messed up this badly?! I blew it. I absolutely blew it.”

 

Incoherent sentences. Bits and pieces. Seulgi tries to put it together in her head like a puzzle. Just what happened?

 

Seulong hangs his head in defeat and releases a frustrated groan.

 

Whatever it was, it clearly wasn’t anything good.

 

“Hey, I’m sure it wasn’t that bad,” she says, rising from the bed and kneeling where he sat. Patting his knee comfortingly. Her eyes search for his but he kept them hidden and buried within his hands.

 

“Bad?” Seulong bitterly scoffs. He was angry at himself. Immensely, as far as Seulgi could tell. “Please, it was horrible. Utterly humiliating! What am I going to do?” His voice cracks just a bit. Her brother was more than just angry, he was disappointed. Sad. For the first time in a long time.

 

She wonders what happened but it was useless to ask. If her brother wanted to tell her, he would have by now. She could only guess it was something he did not want to relive, not even by sharing it with her.

 

During their short voyage to Revala, all he could talk about was meeting the Princess. Saying how he would prove to be the ideal husband to her. That he would try his hardest. Not just for the sake of earning the Princess’s love but to show everyone here, all the Lords of the other Great Houses, that House Kang was one to admire. He was so excited. Constantly smiling and laughing. Now, he was a disheartened mess.

 

And Seulgi feels her heart tug at the sight of him.

 

“Okay, well even if it was as horrible as you say, it’s just a minor setback,” Seulgi assures him in the most gentle voice. “Look at yourself. You’re Seulong Kang. Lord of House Kang and ruler of The Bearclaw Isles.” Finally, he looks at her, and she smiles at him. “You’re not a quitter. You’re clever and resilient. So I know you’ll redeem yourself.”

 

His hands drop in his lap and for a moment, he chews at his bottom lip in thought. He then heaves a heavy sigh.

 

“How are you so sure?”

 

She gives him a hard pat on the back, hoping to shake him out of it and bring him back to his cheery old self.

 

“I’m your sister. I know you better than you know yourself.”

 

The obvious reason elicits a small laugh from him and he smiles. Not as wide and bright as usual but it was a smile nonetheless.

 

“Somehow, you always know the right things to say. But I don’t know,” he shakes his head. “You weren’t there, I really--” He pauses abruptly and then stands from his seat, finger tapping against his lip. A habit Seulgi knows all too well. It meant an idea struck him. “Seul, do you love me?”

 

The question is both rhetorical and suspicious. But Seulgi answers anyway.

 

“You’re my brother. Of course, I love you.”

 

He turns to her, placing both hands on her shoulders and takes a deep breath.

 

“Before you say anything, hear me out,” he says slowly and Seulgi nods, waiting. “You’ve always been good with people, talking with them and getting along. More than I ever have, at least. You can help me!”

 

Seulgi jerks her head back a bit. Her face twisting into a look of confusion.

 

“Help you? How?” she asks warily, noticing the mischievous glint in his eyes. “There’s no way I can coach you into winning over the princess’s heart.”

 

“No,” he agrees and then his smile regains its luster. “But you can pretend to be me and charm the princess!”

 

Charm the princess? Seulgi’s jaw drops, speechless. The suggestion was absurd. But it was just the kind of thing her brother would come up with. It takes a few seconds but Seulgi regains her composure.

 

“You’re out of your mind,” she simply says, shaking her head.

 

But her brother remains adamant. She can see it on his face, he was already convinced that this plan could possibly work.

 

How? They were talking about fooling the Princess.

 

“Seul, please!” he begs.

 

Thinking about it, maybe it wasn’t completely outrageous. Her and Seulong were quite similar, as much as she hated to admit it. None of the families of the Great Houses personally knew them either. Fooling them wouldn’t be quite as hard. But pulling the wool over the Princess’s eyes was something else. There was the possibility it would work. Yet, there was also the possibility that it would blow up in their faces.

 

“Come on, please!” Seulong pleads harder. More desperately as he resorts to groveling on the ground, hugging her knees. “Don’t you want me to be happily married? Don’t you love me? Seulgi, please!”

 

Seulgi internally curses herself and sighs.

 

“There’s no way it’s going to work,” she says aloud. More for herself, than for him. Still, she can’t help herself as she remembers how pitiful he was just moments ago. “You’re really that desperate. huh?”

 

And Seulong knows he’s won.

 

“It’s worth a try,” he smiles up at her again. “Come on, I don’t have anything else to lose.”

 

Her fingers run through her hair. She should say no. It was common sense. But… they never were the smartest siblings. And Seulgi always had a bad habit of giving in.

 

“Fine.”

 

--

 

Snip. Snip.

 

She keeps her eyes on the floor. As the minutes pass by, more and more of her hair begins to pool around her. And the weight of her head starts to feel lighter.

 

Snip. Snip.

 

She brushes some hair off of her trousers. How much more was he going to cut?

 

“On second thought,” Seulgi speaks up. “I don’t think this is going to work.”

 

“It’s going to work,” Seulong replies, still busy with her hair.

 

And Seulgi groans, frustrated at both herself and her brother.

 

Snip. Snip.

 

“You come up with the stupidest plans, you know that?”

 

“And you always follow them. So who’s really the stupid one?” Seulong sneers.

 

Snip. Snip.

 

“Still you,” Seulgi snaps back, “considering how terribly you messed up and need my help now.”

 

He yanks her hair a bit and she yelps.

 

“Alright, hush, or I might cut off more than I should.”

 

After a few more minutes, Seulong is finally done. He taps her shoulder and Seulgi lifts her head, gazing at the vanity mirror. She hardly recognizes her reflection. For nearly, her entire life, she kept her hair long. The shortest it had ever been cut was an inch or two below the shoulders. Until now, that is. Now, her hair was about chin-length, loosely gathered and tied back in a half ponytail just like her brother.

 

“Dammit,” she hisses.

 

And Seulong quickly jumps in worry, staring back at her in the mirror.

 

“What? Is something wrong?!”

 

“God, everyone’s right,” she whines, turning her head to examine herself from different angles. There was no denying it now. “We really do look alike…”

 

“Now you see?” Seulong laughs, putting his face next to hers. Unlike her, he never denied the opinion that they could pass as twins. Looking in the mirror now, Seulgi was forced to accept it. Maybe this plan wasn’t so farfetched after all. “It’s a good thing for me though.” He pats her on the head. “It’s all up to you, Seul.”

 

“You’re going to owe me,” she glares. “Greatly.”

 

He nods.

 

“I’ll owe you my life.”

 

She would remember that.


 

//


 

The bonfire was about to start but the streets were still relatively quiet. She perhaps had an hour or so before everything was crowded once again.

 

Seulgi runs past the west gate and heads for the main square. The cold night causes her to shiver, even more so now that her hair barely covered the back of her neck. She runs faster, wincing a bit from the uncomfortable binding flattening her s. Her brother’s tunic that she was wearing wasn’t exactly pleasant either but at least it wasn’t a dress. All things she would have to get used to.

 

She turns left for the main square.

 

The Princess was said to attend the bonfire tonight, at least, that’s what her brother heard. And rather than wait for tomorrow, it was best to remedy the horrible start Seulong had put them in, as soon as possible. And Seulgi plans on doing just that.

 

She spins around another corner and just as she does, she nearly bumps into a man.

 

“Sorry!” she apologizes, bowing.

 

“Not a problem, oh--do I know you?”


Seulgi lifts her head, surprised to see it was the man carrying a barrel she met earlier in the afternoon.

 

“It’s me--” Seulgi quickly shakes her head, remembering she had a role to play and corrects herself. “I mean, you must have met my younger sister earlier. We’re practically twins,” she laughs, deepening her voice just a tad.

 

“Ah, your sister! Never did catch her name but she did help me steer clear of hurting anyone earlier. I almost--”

 

“Actually, do you mind helping me?” Seulgi cuts him off. “I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

 

“Oh? Sure,” he smiles. “What can I help you with?”

 

“I have some urgent business with the Princess and was hoping to talk with her before the bonfire starts. Do you know where she might be? Is she still at the castle or preparing elsewhere?”

 

It all comes out like a whirlwind. She didn’t want to be rude but she didn’t exactly have the time for idle chatter.

 

“The Princess, huh? Well, lad, you’re in luck. Just saw the Princess pass by here, looked to be headed towards the gardens--”

 

And before the man could finish, Seulgi runs east of the main square.

 

“Perfect, thank you!”


 

//


 

Revala Gardens

 

Seulgi stops at the sign, bent over on her knees, panting for air. She takes a few minutes to catch her breath. Realign her tunic, running her hands over it, ensuring she didn’t look like a complete mess. Carefully, she sweeps the stray strands of hair from her face and dries the tiny beads of sweat near her temple. After taking a deep breath, she walks forward, approaching the arch of flowers that marked the entrance.

 

But just as she comes within two feet, two guards stop her.

 

“What business do you have in the gardens tonight?” the guard on the left asks.

 

The two men were huge. Almost like towers compared to Seulgi. There was an intense look in their eyes as they both stared her down. But Seulgi didn’t care enough at the moment to be intimidated.

 

“I wish to have a few words with the Princess,” she says, getting straight to the point.

 

They exchange a glance and the guard on the right clicks his tongue.

 

“The Princess is not here.”

 

Seulgi arches a brow. The man didn’t even try to sell that lie. She scoffs and folds her hands behind her back.

 

“So the Royal Guard is simply here, for what? To pick flowers? Make wishes at the fountain?” Seulgi shakes her head and laughs. “Please, gentlemen, let’s be truthful, shall we?”

 

They don’t speak. They don’t even bother uttering a word and step forward. Casting their shadows over her, they were bigger than she initially thought. Massive men clad in full plate armor. Both holding the hilt of their swords. Seulgi shifts her eyes back and forth between the two of them. Perhaps, this was a bad idea.

 

“Let him through.”

 

The voice was soft but authoritative.

 

Then, in the span of a heartbeat, the guards step aside and turn as still as statues. Seulgi gawks at them, amazed. The didn’t look at her. They didn’t even blink. The only movement was from their breathing. Cautiously, she walks past them and then turns around. Still, neither one of them budged.

 

And so, Seulgi enters the gardens before she loses her chance.

 

--

 

The first thing she sees is a fountain. Beautiful and grand. Standing before it, staring in silence, was a girl. She was smaller than Seulgi. Petite. Her hair was simple. Long straight, black locks. But her dress, it was probably the most extravagant gown Seulgi had ever seen. A dark, crimson red that seemed to seduce anyone. All it took was a glance.

 

“And you are?” the girl asks without bothering to turn around.

 

The delicateness of her voice surprises Seulgi. She takes a second to recompose herself and bows.

 

“My name is Seulg--Seul Kang,” she briefly stutters, forgetting her disguise. “Lord of House Kang. Ruler of The Bear Claw Isles.”

 

Seulgi takes a breath. Cursing herself for nearly ruining the plan by saying her name. Seul Kang wasn’t quite right either but it was good enough. Perhaps better now that she thinks about it. If anyone were to address her by Seul she would most certainly react to it as opposed to being called Seulong. Her brother would just have to rectify her mistake later but that was a small worry. Right now, the problem was getting on better terms with the Princess.

 

“Ah, the stuttering mess. Yes, I remember you,” she sighs as if she were replaying the memory in her mind. “At least you’re able to talk properly now. Tell me, Lord Kang, what made you think that provoking my guards was a smart thing to do?”

 

“It wasn’t,” Seulgi immediately answers. “But it worked.”

 

For here she was, speaking to the Princess just as she set out to do.

 

“I suppose so.”

 

And Seulgi’s not sure if she’s imagining it, but she seems to hear a hint of a smile. Then, finally, the Princess turns around.

 

Everything she’s heard about the Princess, how beautiful she was, how radiant--those words did no justice. None at all. For the girl before her was beyond description. Ethereal. Unbelievably ethereal. So much so, Seulgi’s jaw drops.

 

The Princess curtsies. Graceful and elegant.

 

“A pleasure to meet you, Lord Kang. I am Irene Bae, your Princess,” she stands back up. “I don’t believe I need to drawl on any further with titles.”

 

Seulgi nods and bows once again, somewhat speechless.

 

“So, Lord Kang, why are you here?”

 

Despite the frailness of her voice, her eyes were dark and intimidating--strong. And Seulgi could tell, she was not one to entertain any sort of drivel. So, she gets straight to the point.

 

“To give my deepest apologies for my idiocy earlier today,” Seulgi stares directly back at her, making sure to convey her sincerity. She’s still not sure of what happened but the desperation her brother radiated was enough to give her some kind of hint.

 

“Idiocy, that’s a good word for it,” she merely nods. “Next time, don’t be late. Punctuality can say a lot about a person.” Her words come out quick and harsh, attacking Seulgi. “And your tardiness simply told me that you are not serious. Therefore, in my eyes, at this very moment, you are an incompetent suitor.”

 

Seulgi steps forward, trying to at least defend herself--defend her brother.

 

“I agree and I know I can’t redo what happened--”

 

“A redo would be quite pointless,” she cuts in, ruthless.

 

“Yes, I know, that’s why I’m not here asking to start over,” Seulgi speaks a little louder. Not to be rude but enough for the Princess to fully hear her out. “I’ve already stepped on the wrong foot and I wanted to apologize for that. But I’m also here because I wanted to tell you that from here on out, I’m going to prove my worth.” She takes a deep breath, eyes flickering with resolve. “I wanted to assure you of that. So don’t count me out yet.”

 

Irene remains expressionless. Her eyes deep and dark. Unreadable.

 

She takes a step towards Seulgi.

 

“We shall see. I’ve heard many promises from handsome lords. You all speak highly of yourselves, saying you will prove your worth to me. Let me tell you what I told everyone at the opening ceremonies that you missed.” Another step closer. “I am the one who decides who is worthy. You can be the richest, the most beautiful, the smartest--all notes of high praise. Worthy,” she nearly hisses the word. “But if I say you are not the one, if I don’t choose you, then you are not worthy.” One more step and standing this close, Seulgi finds it harder to breathe. “Regardless of what you or what anyone else believes. I am the one who decides. It’s as simple as that. Do you understand?”

 

Barely able to speak, Seulgi utters a quiet reply.

 

“Yes.”

 

The Princess tilts her head, hair falling to frame her face. Ebony locks against ivory skin. She gives Seulgi the tiniest smile.

 

“Hmm, I wonder if you truly do.”

 

And then she exits the garden, leaving Seulgi alone in the cold as the bonfire began.


 

--

 

a/n: Alright, so here we are, a small start to a new fic. Like I said in the description, it’s one of my favorite cliches and I just had the urge to write it lol for those who share similar tastes, i hope you enjoy this. If you did not, then thank you for giving it a chance at least =] i don’t know what else to say since this is just the beginning but thank you as always to everyone who read, whether you’re silent or not lol thank you to everyone who decides to subscribe as well~ also sorry for any mistakes i might have missed lol other than that, i’ll try to update asap~ thanks =]