End

Moonlight Melody

On the especially bright
Night, my heart was beating faster

 

Irene loves staring at the sky at the middle of the night, watching the bright, glimmering stars that illuminates the lonely night, along with her lonely heart. She started developing the habit ever since she was eight years old. Fast forward to 13 years later and here she is, still doing that little habit of hers. Sitting on the rusty old swing, the raven haired girl looks up the sky with a sad smile plastered on her face. She has been doing this for more than a decade, but why is she still feeling sad whenever she’s sitting here alone?

 

As Irene was staring at the sky while listening to some of her favourite songs through her earphones, a tap was felt by the woman, making her jolt out of shock and immediately snapped her head towards the culprit. She looked at the person and felt her heart skipped a beat by the beauty of the girl beside her. The raven haired girl immediately pulled her earphones out as she realized that the stranger was looking as if she wanted to say something.

 

“Why are you alone here in the middle of the night? Isn’t it dangerous?”

 

Speak for yourself.

 

“You should ask that to yourself.” Irene taunted.

 

“I-“ The girl stopped talking, taken-aback by Irene’s bold words. But instead of walking away like anyone else before her, the girl smiled widely at Irene, making the latter’s heart skipped a bit, a few beats actually.

 

Her smile is blinding.

 

“I was on my way to my house actually when I saw you here alone, you looked lonely so I decided to approach you…” The girl grinned like a fool and scratched her nape cutely, one of Irene’s weakness.

 

Cute girl grinning like a fool.

 

“I… am not lonely.” Irene defended herself.

 

“You’re not. But your heart is.”

 

And that’s how Irene befriend the cute grinning girl, named Wendy.

 

 

I was afraid that you’re gonna find out how I feel
And I was stumbling backwards that day

Suddenly I hear from somewhere
The sound of a bell rings in my ears

 

 

Them meeting together every night is like an unspoken promise, since Wendy just randomly started accompanying Irene whenever the latter would sit on the swings alone. Irene didn’t hate it when Wendy would randomly appear beside her. No, she didn’t hate it, in fact, the older of the two love it, love it a little bit too much.

 

Every day, Wendy would find things to do with Irene. Whether playing ‘I Spy’, drawing random things on the dirt below the swings, playing some phone games, talking about themselves or even keeping quiet, listening to some songs suggested by either of them while looking at the sky for a few hours. Irene liked it, she liked it now that she has someone to share her habit with her.

 

“So what do you wanna do today?”

 

“Whatever you want to Wendy.” Irene smiled as she was looking at giddy Wendy who was smiling from ear to ear.

 

“Alright then!” Wendy's expression gleamed as she quickly took out her guitar than she brought from home (How could Irene not notice that big guitar before?). “I have a song that I wanted to sing for you.” The blonde haired girl said as she was tuning her guitar, smile still evident on her fluffy face.

 

After a few minutes of tuning, the younger girl seemed satisfied and started sitting on the ground, in front of Irene who was sitting on the swing. “I'm sorry if I sound bad… its been a long time since I sang and played guitar before.” Wendy giggled before continuing, “This might be the first and last time I'd ever sing to anyone.” And she started struming her guitar.

 

Irene didn't know if she should feel fluttered by Wendy's words. Nevermind. She already did anyway.

 

The moment Wendy started singing, that's the moment, the first and only moment that Irene’s heart didn't felt lonely.

 

The quietly sad goodbye
I didn’t know that would be the last
Another day has gone
Only faded pictures remain


I was always alone
Am I used to it now?
Only holding onto the
remaining promises
I’m waiting for you, even though you won’t come


Before the sun sets, before the sun sets
Before the sun sets, before the sun sets


When the days grow long again
When I take a deep breath
And listen to my heartbeat


What does it mean to live?
I’m thinking again for you


I was always alone
Am I used to it now?
Only holding onto the remaining promises
I’m waiting for you, even though you won’t come


Before the sun sets, before the sun sets
Before the sun sets, before the sun sets


It’s even darker here
As I’m all alone
For you, I pray


Even the last words
Remain deep in my heart
Remain deep in my heart
Remain deep in my heart

 

After Wendy had finished singing, as if time had stopped, the raven haired girl kept mum and just stared at the girl in front of her who's voice was like an angel, blessed by all the high heavens above.

 

“I'm sorry if it sound bad…” Wendy chuckled, snapping Irene off her imagination and scratched her nape, suddenly felt embarrassed at her performance. “I should've practiced a bit more before singing it in front of yo-”

 

“You're perfect.”

 

“W-what?” Wendy blushed more as she heard what Irene had just said to her.

 

“I-I mean, your singing. Your singing sounds perfect.” Irene smiled genuinely, which is a first from her. A genuine, sincere smile. She never even smiled genuinely at anyone, even to her parents. But Wendy walked into her life, and changed everything.

 

“Ah, really? I'm glad you like it.” The blonde smiled and stand up, quickly sitting on the other swing, beside Irene.

 

“Why won't you become a singer? You can pass easily, Wendy.”

 

“Ah, I like the sound of it.” Wendy said, but Irene could felt a glint of hesitation in the younger’s voice. The girl looked at Wendy curiously before the latter continued her words. “But I'm not interested in being a singer.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I only want to sing to one person, the person who I cared the most.”

 

 

Is it moonlight, it was shining upon us
It was silently looking at us, did it wanna say something
We hadn’t heard it before then
An unforgettable moonlight melody

 

 

“Hey Hyun.” Wendy said as they were keeping quiet, since Irene didn’t feel like talking today, which Wendy found a bit weird since the older woman would talk non-stop whenever the blonde girl is beside her.

 

“Hmm?” Irene hummed with a low and tired voice as she looked at Wendy.

 

“You okay? You don’t look fine…” Wendy asked with a glint of sympathy in her tone.

 

“Yeah Wan, I’m fine. Don’t worry too much about it.” The girl looked at her and showed her a fake, tired smile.

 

“Hey…” Wendy sighed as she knew too well that Irene is far from being fine. “You know you can always talk to me about everything.” Her brows furrowed in worries as she was holding Irene’s cold right palm.

 

“Wendy, I'm fine. Really.” Irene closed her eyes in annoyance and released Wendy's warm hand away from hers. “I just need some rest.” She said as she looked up the bright night full of stars, trying hard not to feel a tinge bit of sadness and loneliness from her heart.

 

That was the first time Wendy had seen Irene so broken. Irene didn't tell but Wendy could see, she could see so clearly how broken the older girl was. After a few hours of silence, Irene got up and walked to her house, leaving Wendy behind. The latter would always accompany the older girl to her front house, but Wendy knew better not to do it today since she knew Irene wanted to be alone today.

 

 

Sometimes, no actually a lot, I think of you that night

 

 

The day after the incident, Irene didn't go down to the park like she usually do, and that worries Wendy so much. The blonde girl waited and waited for Irene, till the wee hours of morning, not minding that she has class early that morning. But, Irene never arrived.

 

The next few days was also like that, and it made Wendy’s mind go haywire, it made Wendy felt like crying her eyes out to the lonely night. Has she done something wrong to Irene till the latter avoided her for almost a week?

 

The sixth day, Wendy couldn't take it anymore. She needed and she wanted to meet Irene again. Standing up from the swing, the blonde girl walked quickly to Irene’s house, and immediately knocked on the front door hardly, not worrying of the consequences of her actions. Irene was the only one running around her mind right now. She's not letting Irene go away from her easily again, not after that day she let the older girl go.

 

“Irene open the door. I know you're in there.” Wendy said rather calmly, but her knocks are the opposite of her tone.

 

No answer.

 

Giving up is not in the girl's dictionary. Wendy is not giving up. Not after Irene is just a door away from her.

 

“Irene please!” Wendy sobbed, she finally sobbed after few days of holding it in. “I just need to meet you…” She sounded broken. “Please…” So broken.

 

Feeling all of her energy dissipated into thin air, the broken girl slid down the door, hugging her knees as she silently cried the night away.

 

 

I was afraid that you’re gonna find out how I feel
So I closed the window in vain

 

 

Wendy stopped going to the park. She stopped although her heart was longing for someone, someone who just left her broken. Wendy is being selfish. She hates it but she's being selfish right now. Wanting Irene all for herself although she knew too well that the latter treated her nothing more than just friends.

 

She would occasionally walk pass by the park after her class and the memories of Irene and her just flooded back into her mind. Wendy is broken, still, but she won't cry because it ended, no she won’t. Instead, she would just smile because it happened.

 

 

Is it moonlight, it was shining upon us
It was silently looking at us, did it wanna say something
We hadn’t heard it before then
An unforgettable moonlight melody

 

 

It was 10 pm when Wendy was walking back from the supermarket, buying some groceries her parents asked her to buy. It has been exactly 3 weeks since she and Irene last met and the blonde was getting better, a little (too little) bit better and she was living her normal life again, her daily life before Irene walked into her life. She was listening to some songs through her earphones, putting the volume to its maximum level as she wanted to block any outside noises. She liked it better that way anyway.

 

She kept looking down the road as she doesn't want her eyes to wander to that especially place she wanted to avoid. But, the heart wants what the heart wants. No matter how hard she tried to avoid looking at that place, her heart (and eyes) betrayed her and she ended up looking at the place, and she could feel lump forming in , her heartbeat was suddenly beating erratically as she saw the back side of the girl she missed the most this whole month, sitting on the swing, their swing. Dropping her groceries, Wendy ran as fast as she can towards Irene and as soon as she arrived in front of Irene, she was gasping for air and the latter was shocked that she stood up from the swing, looking at the gasping girl in front of her.

 

“W-Wendy…?”

 

Without saying anything, Wendy quickly engulfed Irene into a tight hug, so tight that Irene almost can't breathe.

 

“I won't ever let you go away from me again.” The blonde sobbed as she hugged Irene tighter.

 

The older girl sighed and hugged Wendy back again. “I'm sorry for suddenly leaving you alone.” Irene said as she buried her face into Wendy's neck, inhaling the latter's faint lavender scent.

 

“Promise me you won't leave me again.” Wendy sobbed harder as Irene was caressing her back softly.

 

“W-Wendy…” Irene looked at Wendy who was a sobbing mess. “Please don't cry.” The raven haired girl begged as she wiped some of Wendy’s tears away with her thumbs. Irene sighed more and bit her lip, seeing as if she had something to tell Wendy.

 

“I have to tell you something.” Irene inhaled a huge air before braving herself to say the thing she wanted to tell Wendy for a long time now.

 

Wendy who was exhausted from crying just looked at Irene.

 

“Wendy… I'm moving.”

 

 

Do you remember how it sang for us
And blessed us
Out of many stars, it
Was espeially big and bright

 

 

It was an accident. A car accident. A goddamn car accident that killed both of Irene’s parents and left her with a broken ankle, broken wrist and concussions plus a few scratches here and there. A drunk driver who was driving a pickup truck crossed the red light, and ran into Irene’s car, stumbling them a few rounds. Irene was in a coma for a few days because of that and her parents was unfortunately pronounced dead due to internal bleeding in the brain. That was why the girl was never seen sitting in the park for month. Irene was even lucky that she survived that crash. The doctors said that she had a little chance to wake up from the coma, and Irene proved them wrong when she woke up two weeks after sleeping.

 

Wendy was speechless when Irene told her everything that happened.

 

“W-Why do you want to move away? Irene, I-I can take care of you, you don't need to move away please. I'll take care of you every-”

 

“Wendy.” Irene said calmly and sternly at the same time, making the other girl immediately shut up. “It's hard… I still need to go to this special hospital every two days, and it's very far away from here… and I'm still having some aftereffects of the concussion. I have to move away even if I don't want to. You know I dont want to move away, especially after I meet you.”

 

“W-Where will you be moving, and w-when?”

 

“Australia… T-Tomorrow.”

 

“I-I can go visit you every holiday… O-Or maybe every months after I graduated from my study, Or-”

 

“Wendy, stop.” Irene smiled sadly. “You don't need to do that. Don't hurt yourself.”

 

Irene’s words made Wendy cried, again. She doesn't even know she has the energy to cry a lot of time that day.

 

“T-Then… let me do this one thing before you go.”

 

Wendy grabbed Irene’s collar and pulled her close, surprising the latter before kissing her on the lips, for the first and probably the last time.

 

“I'll wait for you.”

 

 

It was silently in the same place every day, even when I try to listen
I couldn’t hear it again, my precious
Unforgettable moonlight melody

 

 

It's been exactly three years since Wendy and Irene last talked to each other, and the only thing that reminded Irene of Wendy was the latter's favorite guitar pick, which the blonde had given her that day they kissed.

 

Wendy was still visiting the park everyday, not missing a single day even if it was raining. She would look at the stars, since the stars reminded her so much of Irene. The irony that what once used to be Irene’s habit is now Wendy's. The latter chuckled sadly as she was looking at the sky. It was snowing that day, but Wendy still went to the park, even if she's alone and the fact that it was minus zero degree that time. Heaving Having a heavy breath, the girl stood up from the swing, wanting to go back to her cozy and warm home.

 

Another failed day.

 

As she was walking slowly, Wendy felt a familiar warmth behind her, her heartbeat suddenly went skyrocketed.

 

“Wendy, I'm back.”

 

Wendy quickly turned around and her eyes was twice it size, seeing the woman she misses these 3 whole years and goddamn, Irene looked more beautiful as time passed and her hair was now grey, freaking grey that probably only she could pulled it off effortlessly. Without wasting any second, the younger girl quickly run towards Irene, even though she knew too well that the road was slippery. But she didn't care, especially after the woman of her dream is standing a few feets away from her.

 

Wendy quickly pulled Irene into a tight hug as she arrived in front of Irene.

 

“Irene, I miss you.” Wendy kept hugging Irene who was breathing calmly and caressing her back softly.

 

“I miss you too Wendy. So much. I'm glad that you waited for me.”

 

Wendy looked at Irene and smiled from ear to ear, which the latter do the same.

 

“I promised you I would never let you go again.”

 

“Don't worry… I'm staying in your heart from now on, Wan-ah.” Irene kept smiling and pulled something out of her back pocket and placed it onto Wendy's cold palm.

 

“My guitar pick?”

 

“So you can serenade me to sleep everyday, Wan.” Irene smiled sheepishly at the girl in front of her. “I'm staying here,” she pointed at Wendy's heart before continuing, “And won't be leaving it forever.”

 

Wendy immediately cupped Irene’s cheeks and pulled the latter in a deep, slow, and warm kiss. The kiss where it melted both of their’s broken heart, and moulded them back into one, full, healed heart full of happiness, love and gaiety.

 

“I love you, Hyun.”

 

“I love you too, Wan.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello :D im sorry for the long indefinite hiatus. my life is still a mess LOL ANYWAY I LOVE RED VELVET'S NEW ALBUM. I AM BALD (AND STILL IS) BECAUSE MY WIG HAS BEEN SNATCHED LOL 

anyway, what's your guys favourite song from the album? mine would be moonlight melody since the song purifies my soul omfg istg AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH lol sorry i am fangirling crazily rn. if you followed/stalked me on my twitter, you can see me fangirling like a mad girl LOL okay i'll stop.

upvote/comment if you enjoyed this story :D

that's all for now bye bye~! *peace out*

ps: follow me on twitter @ quivernoldsaff and let's fangirl together there xD 

PSS: THE SONG WENDY SANG WAS ERIC NAM'S BEFORE THE SUNSET. TAKE A LISTEN TO IT THE SONG IS VERY GOOD ADKHFGASDHF