Out Of Rain

Out Of Rain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Drenched in the rain at the bus stop, Jungkook waits for the next bus.

As soon as it arrived, he went to sit all the way at the back.

There, no one would see him cry.

There, no one would hear his sobs.

 

He never meant to hurt Jin.

It was supposed to be just a simple break up.

He never expected Jin to actually resist and struggled to refuse to accept.

He regretted the part when Jin fell but he convinced himself that breaking up was for the best.

 

It was for Jin.

 

For him.

 

Only him.

*

 

 

 

Jungkook snaps out of his flashback and back to the present as the rain poured even harder outside. He is warm and comfortable inside his expensive high rise apartment. But inside his heart, there is a rather cold and longing feeling.

 

The thing about life, it doesn’t always go your way.

Jungkook made a decision years ago that determined where his life would go. Back then, two years seemed like a long time but thinking of it now, it’s not that long. Since that Sunday when he saw Jin there has been a lot of ‘what ifs’ in his mind. What if they didn’t break up? What if they made the long distance relationship work? After all Jin is faithful and loyal, What would be their life now? Those questions kept him awake at night.

 

He wants to stop loving Jin, and he has tried for the past four years but the memories can’t be stopped. At times he can’t even contain it. When a certain thing or place reminds him of their past relationship, Jin would fill up his mind and heart again.

Jungkook has no one to blame but himself. He’s been doing so the past four years.

 

His self-blaming only stopped when he heard his phone ring.

It was Namjoon, an old friend from college, inviting him to a mini reunion hosted by their professor.

 

It took Jungkook a few seconds to confirm his attendance, contemplating.

 

But after seeing him that rainy Sunday…

 

He wants to see him again.

 

 

 

- - - 

 

 

 

“Jin!”

Jin follows the voice and smiles as he finally spotted the owner of it. They hug the moment they get near each other.

“My God! It’s been a long time!”

“I know! But look at you! You haven’t aged a day Yoong!”

“Okay, lunch is on me then.” Yoongi laughs in response to Jin’s compliment.

They settled in one of the tables in the Italian themed restaurant. They started to catch up and chat as they enjoyed their pasta.

“I still can’t believe we’re finally in the same city at the same time.” Jin expressed his happiness at seeing his bestfriend after only communicating through video and phone calls. They're based in different cities and it just so happens that everytime one of them is in the other’s city, the other is away on a trip or business. “This reunion is years in the making.”

“Well you better believe it cause I’ll be in town for the entire week.” Yoongi replies. “But speaking of reunions, Professor Lee contacted me yesterday inviting us for a mini reunion he is hosting this coming weekend. He couldn’t contact you ever since you changed numbers when you lost your phone back then.”

“Why all of a sudden?” Jin asked.

“Oh, that’s because he is retiring.” Yoongi answered. “And I heard from Joon it’s just a mini reunion since it was a short notice. Probably only invited his favorite students. And I was thinking we could go together.”

Suddenly Jin became quiet.

Yoongi noticed and asked “You okay?”

“Yeah.” Jin replied. “I just remembered we did a research project with him.”

“Yeah we worked on pairs with few underclassmen. I was paired with Jimin remember? And you were partnered with…” Yoongi stopped as soon as he realized. “Oh…”

Jin smiled. “It’s okay Yoong, it was a long time ago.”

“Uhm, did you ever find out the reason why he did that back then?” Yoongi asked as he himself did not understand what happened.

Jin didn’t understand Jungkook’s actions back then either. He really wanted to know the reason. Even at the last moment he was hoping Jungkook would show up to tell him why he did what he did.

 

*

“Let’s go Jin, it’s time.” Yoongi calls his bestfriend to head at the boarding area.

But Jin is still in the passenger’s area of the airport, scanning left and right, throughout the place.

“Our parents left a while ago. Who are you looking for?” Yoongi said, then paused when he finally caught on. “Oh… did he know you’re leaving today?”

“I don’t think so… we-“

But before Jin could finish telling Yoongi about their break up, the airline announcer was already calling the passengers for the last boarding.

“Let’s go, come on. You can just call him when we get there.” Yoongi grabs his arm and leads him to the boarding gate.

And with a last look back, Jin still didn’t see the face he wanted to see in the crowd. So he let Yoongi pull him and aboard the plane they go.

*

 

Jin never got the answer. “No. I don’t.” Jin replied to Yoongi. “Past is past. I’ve moved on and I’m sure he has as well.” He ends.

Both of them then moved on to another topic as they finished their food.

 

 

 

- - -  That weekend… 

 

 

 

Jin is sitting at the back of a cab when his phone rings.

He checked to see who it was and his guess was right, it was Yoongi.

They were supposed to go together at the reunion venue but he was running late because of the weekend rush hour traffic.

“Hello Yoong.” He picked up. “I got stuck in traffic but I’m almost there.”

“I’m sorry Jin…” Yoongi’s voice sounded like he was down.

“Sorry for what Yoong?” Jin asked, confused. “Is everything okay over there?”

“No. Yeah. I mean, I’ll explain when you get here. Hurry.” Yoongi said before hanging up.

 

 

The taxi stopped right in front of the restaurant.

Jin got out as fast as he could and immediately spotted Yoongi by the doorway entrance waiting for him.

“I’m sorry Jin.” Yoongi apologized as soon as Jin got close to him. “I really am, sorry.”

“What is going on Yoong?” Jin asked as confused as ever.

“I think he knew.”

“Knew what? Who?”

“Listen.” Yoongi starts. “Remember that time when we had an argument in our classroom back in uni.?”

Jin’s brow furrowed as he tries to recall what his bestfriend is talking about, when they’re supposed to be meeting the others and enjoying the reunion. “But we don’t usually argue Yoong.”

“Exactly!” Yoongi agrees. “So it shouldn’t be that hard to recall. That was the only time, it was in our senior year.”

“Oh.” Jin finally remembers. “The one about our internship?”

“Yes! That one!”

 

 

*

Yoongi was sitting at a desk by the window reading a book called ‘Simple English Phrases’ when Jin entered the empty classroom and slowly walked toward him. He dropped a pamphlet titled ‘University Internship Abroad Program 2011-2012’ on the table and it got Yoongi’s attention. “What is this?”

“It’s my pamphlet.”

“I know it’s your pamphlet, I have one too. What is it doing in front of me?”

“I have decided not to intern abroad.” Jin answered.

“What?! Why?” Saying Yoongi is surprised is an understatement.

“There isn’t any reason.”

“I don’t believe you.” Yoongi said. “We’ve applied for this internship the moment we got into this university Jin. What happened?”

“I…” Jin stuttered with his words.

“I’m your bestfriend, I know you’re bad at lying. So tell me the truth.” Yoongi demanded.

Jin really should’ve thought more about his excuse, but then again like Yoongi said, he’s bad at lying.

“I also heard from professor Lee that we’re the only ones that got picked this year so the university is housing us in the same apartment there. It’s already set, so what is it? What’s the reason that is so important that you’re dropping your longtime dream for?” Yoongi asked again, this time voicing out his suspicion. “It is because of Jungkook?”

Jin couldn’t help but look down and avoid meeting Yoongi’s eyes.

“Have you forgotten? The only reason why you joined Professor Lee’s research project in the first place was for the extra credit and his recommendation for the internship. So why give up your dream?”

Jin stayed quiet. He didn’t know what answer to give his bestfriend. He thought he had already decided on it but now that Yoongi reminded him of how important his dream is for him he is having second thoughts.

“We’ve dreamed about this since high school Jin, you promised we’d go together!” Yoongi’s voice slightly raises as he stands up to meet Jin’s eye level. “I can’t believe you’re dropping your dream and your bestfriend for a junior you’ve only known for two years.”

And with that, Yoongi stormed out of the classroom. He bumped into another student in the hallway but he was too mad to apologize or even take notice of someone else at that moment. He brought his book with him but left the pamphlet there for Jin, to take back. Hopefully.

*

 

 

“When I walked out from you I bumped into someone.” Yoongi continues. “I didn’t pay any attention to who it was, I only saw a little of his back, and honestly at that time I didn’t care. But now, I think I know who it was.”

“After four years?” Jin asked. “Why now?”

“Because when I arrived earlier, I saw someone leaving from the table. I only saw the person’s back but it was familiar. When I asked Joon who was the person that left early…”

Jin anticipates the identity of the person, although he already has a strong feeling on who it might be.

“He said it was Jungkook.” Yoongi finally revealed. “And I think it’s the same person from years ago. I think he knew.”

“About my internship? Of course he knew, the announcement of the chosen students in each department was posted in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter