Final

Play pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Minhyuk stayed up all night, thinking the same things repeatedly. He would never ever have imagined a certain hour or minute could cause a bad memory inside his head but that 11:30 pm with cars driven on the main street and that 12 am when they arrived home and when Eunkwang turned his back without saying goodnight and leaving Minhyuk hanging in the living room...those hours and minutes hurt. They hurt him.

To count the hours that he hasn't seen Eunkwang yet, it would be exactly 6 hours and 30 minutes. Now that Minhyuk look at the time, it is 6:45 am in the morning. He hasn't closed his eyes even just for a minute yet. 

He never knew that a heartbreak is this bad. Heartbreak is not a romantic thing like people said. It is just a terrible mental explosion inside the body. The heart is not beating well and the tears run dry for a minute just to feel that dull hours without Eunkwang. Of course, he could stay more than 6 hours without Eunkwang but this one is different. Eunkwang has never been this angry or mad at him, or has he? Minhyuk does not even remember now. Every memory with Eunkwang is very pale and faded just like a film watched for so many times. 

All Minhyuk does is staring at the clock which is hung on the wall and counting down the time to hear that click sound from Eunkwang's door. He is waiting for Eunkwang to come out from his room. 

He has been blaming himself for what he has done. This pretending game is the worst and Minhyuk swears he would never play that again. It is almost 7 am and then he heard the door is open. His eyes spark from the thought of meeting his best friend again. He sits up from his bed and walks to the door to meet Eunkwang... but that was just an almost. He never has an enough courage to face his angel... his broken angel.

Again, this coward Minhyuk. Minhyuk hates himself for being a coward. His courage was not enough to confess Eunkwang so that he started to pretend and even now, he is losing chance to meet his best friend. 

No, not this time. Minhyuk whispers in his mind and open the door. There...he met his friend drinking an orange juice as usual. 

"A... are you going to work?" Minhyuk asked as he steps towards their kitchen, hoping Eunkwang would answer but the older didn't. He acts like Minhyuk is a ghost. For the younger, instead of being ignored, being a ghost might be better than this. 

But well, it is the consequence of what he did so Minhyuk determined to take all things to make Eunkwang talk to him again. He won't expect too much from Eunkwang, just one thing. He can't go a day without talking to the older. This is just a torture. 

He sits on the chair putting his chin on his palm and watched Eunkwang walking here and there in the kitchen, probably cooking something for the lunch box.

The way the older uses his small fingers to cut things and washes the dishes is a gift given by nature to Minhyuk. He does not know how long he stared at his best friend but he realizes Eunkwang is talking to him only when he saw the cutest lips are moving.

"I said this is for you. Are you listening or what?" Eunkwang said, giving a disappointed look. 

"Y...yeah?" 

"Oh please...you are not even listening." He saw Eunkwang eyes roll up and handed him a lunch box. 

"Is this for me?" Minhyuk is truly happy to see that Eunkwang still cook for him. 

"Yes. What, you don't want it?" Eunkwang said looking at him with those brown colored eyes that Minhyuk has been missing for the whole night. 

"No... no. I want it. I love it. I love it so much." Minhyuk said and he saw a slight of blush on Eunkwang face and that makes him happy too. This is the moment of the after-storm where the sky becomes clear and a sunlight comes in. Eunkwang is not mad at him anymore.

"Fine." Eunkwang said as he picks his files and some other stuffs on the table and head out. Eunkwang is pouting. Minhyuk could never be happier than seeing the cute Eunkwang. 

"Bye! Take care! Look at the both side when you cross the road and don't forget to have lunch on time!" Minhyuk knows Eunkwang might not hear what he is shouting since the boy already left the house. But he can't wait to give all his attention to him after he had messed up for a long time. 

And now, I can leave for work happily. Minhyuk thinks as he walks into the bathroom to take a shower before he goes to work. 

--

"Hyung...here is the paper." Changsub, the co-worker of Eunkwang, gives out some office paper to him.

"Thank you, Changsub ah." Eunkwang said smiling: not a forced smile but definitely not a usual one. He has been telling himself to work and stop thinking about Minhyuk. On the car with Minhyuk, what he has decided is to stay as friends. Although Minhyuk said he loves him, but what Eunkwang saw Minhyuk with the girl at the café is not just a scene. It is a total blues for Eunkwang. 

"By the way, I didn't know Minhyuk hyung would turn down a hot girl." Changsub said suddenly and Eunkwang has no idea for it. 

"What hot girl?" he asked in confusion.

"Didn't he tell you? I set him up with a junior I know from our college." from what Changsub said, everything goes crazy again. 

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh so you don't know? Well, I have seen Minhyuk hyung has been single for a long time so I set him up with my junior. He does not even know that he is meeting a girl yesterday." Changsub said as he drinks up a coffee from his mug. Whatever Changsub said brings Eunkwang back to that afternoon.

"S...so?" Eunkwang asked and Changsub continued without knowing how much sadness covers the older's face.

"I told you... he turned her down. She said he ran after someone during the conversation and never come back." 

No, that does not make sense. Eunkwang did see Minhyuk having fun with a girl. They are all laughing and smiling. 

"B...but they were laughing together." Eunkwang slipped words from his mouth before realizing it. 

"You saw them? You said you don't know. Well, never mind. But I think Minhyuk hyung was laughing with her because he did not want to be rude. I don't know. Well, I have to go to the department now. See you hyung!" Changsub said as he waves at Eunkwang and walked out.

So, Minhyuk was not together with a girl? So he did run after me and so he did care about me?

That 3 minute talk with Changsub changes Eunkwang's mind, from friends to lovers? Maybe?

--

When he arrived home, Minhyuk was not back y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter