2. Hourglass

Time Machine

 

“Can you make me a Time Machine?”

 

“No, no, and no!” I snapped. “Firstly, I am not inventing anymore. Secondly, a time machine? Are you crazy?”

“I’m not crazy,” He shrugged. “I’m unusual.”

“I can see that,” I replied. “But I told you, I’m never inventing again!”

“Because you’re a coward,” He looked me directly in the eye. I froze, drawing in a deep breath as I watched him gently spin the teacup on the glossy saucer. An uncomfortable silence hung in the air, as I tensely held eye contact with him.

“I may be a coward,” I choked my words out. “But what gives you the right to say that?”

“Mm,” He shrugged again, “I don’t know.”

“Then, let me ask you,” I tapped my fingers in my lap. “Why do need a time machine?”

“Bad past?” He shrugged. Yong Junhyung was incredibly hard to read- his face was a complete mask of a gentlemanly smile. It was perfect in every way; the smile fit in nicely, the crinkles near his eyes, the pleasant one of his voice- except for the lack of warmness in his empty eyes.

“You know what?” I abruptly said, having the sudden impulse to blurt out the thoughts in my mind.

He tilted his head. “What?”

“I don't like you,” I growled. He laughed as if it was the funniest thing he had ever heard of.

“Why are you laughing?” I frowned.

“You’re amusing,” He noted, his eyes distant.

 

What an odd, odd person.

 

“Thank you for the compliment,” I stated matter-of-factly, though irked that I was called ‘amusing’ by a stranger who just asked for the impossible. Humans simply don’t call other humans ‘amusing’.

“How can I get you to make me a Time Machine?” The hairs on the back of my neck prickled as his intense gaze lowered onto my eyes. I quickly looked away, concentrating on the design of my teacup.

“Well, even if you say that-“

“Please.” His voice dropped an octave, lowering to the point where I could barely hear him. I opened my mouth ready to reject him once more, but he did the unthinkable. Junhyung slid off the couch, and fell onto his knees, clenching his fists on top of his knees as he hung his head. I expected him to immediately return to his seat, but instead, he remained on his knees.

He was begging. Begging me to make a time machine for him. Unlike his earlier behavior, my perceptive eyes could detect the sincerity in this action.

“I-“ My voice came out thick and unsteady, as I stared at the kneeling man in front of me. I didn’t have the heart to reject such a desperate person. His eyes were closed, and the sound of his steady breathing filled the room. He had caught my weak point; compassion.

 

Don't do this.

 

“Alright, then,” I swallowed my pride, and resolved to help this man. Although I agreed, my mind was screaming for me to take my offer back. However, I always keep to my word; thus, I didn't change my answer. He smiled, but the depths of his eyes were still as frosty as before.

“Thank you,” He averted his eyes from my curious ones and returned to his original position on the couch. 

“But only on two conditions that you need to fulfill,” I continued. “Firstly, you’ll have to tell me about your past.”

“My past?” He questioned darkly, deep in thought. I was already regretting that I agreed to his request. He stayed still for a few seconds, letting the ticking of a clock interrupt the heavy silence in the air.

“Secondly, you can’t go back on your offer,” I shakily said, nodding to myself. “It would be a waste of materials and time.”

“I see,” He quietly replied. I raised my eyebrow; there was something off about this situation that I couldn’t put my finger on. It was fishy- a stranger who asked for a time machine, yet his heart was empty and frozen.

“Oh! I know,” On a whim, I clasped my hands together and asked a question to satisfy my curiousity. “Why don’t you tell me a little about your past right now?”

“Do you really want to know?” He crossed his arms over his chest and leisurely leaned back. “Curiosity killed the cat, you know.”

“I’m not a cat!”

“Oh, really?” He smiled teasingly. I sarcastically smiled back in return, tapping my foot on the carpet. His eyes seemed to bore into my soul as I patiently waited for him to talk.

 

Silence once again.

 

“Tomorrow.”

“Huh?” I looked up, slightly startled.

“Tomorrow,” Junhyung quietly continued. “I’ll tell you tomorrow.”

“All of it?”

“Just the beginning,” He muttered. Heaving a sigh, he heavily pushed himself off the couch. I noticed that he left the tea intact. Without words, he brushed past me and headed for the door. I narrowed my eyes; I hated it when people left without saying anything.

“Wait!” I ran past him and blocked the doorknob, tightly gripping the metal knob. He didn’t look surprised at all; his mask was perfect, simply too perfect.

“Yes?” His voice came out like velvet; smooth and dangerous.

“I… I still can’t trust you!” I burst, fiercely protecting the doorway. His eyebrows quirked up, an amused glint in his empty eyes.

“Trust,” He stated, taking a step closer. “So easily broken.”

I backed up until my back bumped into the wooden door, still not letting my guard down. The smile on his face vanished in a matter of seconds as he reached into his pocket, slowly drawing something out. Alert, I kept my eyes glued on the item clasped in his hand. I shuddered at the mere thought of him pulling out a knife and killing me; after all, I provoked him in many ways. However, he didn't seem like the rash type. It was an odd comparison, but he was similar to an onion; you had to peel his layers one by one. 

He slowly brought his hand up and unclenched his fist, revealing the object as he rolled it around in his fingers. 

 

An hourglass.

 

My eyes widened in wonder and fascination. It was the prettiest trinket I’ve ever seen, with its cherry wood stands and polished glass. Cream-colored sand gently resided at the bottom, slightly shifting around with Junhyung’s tight grip. There was no doubt that it was expensive; it could have passed as an antique treasure.

“Hourglass,” I breathed, my fingers itching to brush them against the cool surface of the hourglass. Junhyung slowly tilted his head, letting the hourglass slide back and forth on his palm. Without a notice, Junhyung let the hourglass fall through his pale fingers. I quickly dived for it, groaning as my elbow came in contact with the hard floor. The hourglass fell safely into my outstretched hands, and I cradled it close to myself as I pushed myself up.

“Are you crazy?!“ Grimacing in pain, I turned around to furiously ask Junhyung to explain his actions.

 

Emptiness.

 

No one in sight, no sounds heard.

 

The soft howling of the wind in the hallway answered my question, as the ajar door creaked. I shivered at the cool air that rushed through the open door. Did he leave? Slowly, I stood up and cautiously took a step into the deserted hallway. My footsteps echoed on the marble floor. A black spider crawled up the wall next to me, returning to its glossy web. I scrutinized my left and right, concluding that Junhyung had left during my hourglass rescue. The wind howled once more, and I held the hourglass closer to my side. Spooked out by the looming shadows of trashcans and abandoned furniture, I retreated into my apartment.

"Disappeared...?" I started to clean up the coffee table, wiping the surface with a damp wipe. However, I couldn't concentrate on my actions, resulting in another crashing noise and a spreading dark stain on the white carpet. Losing all motivation, I returned to my private working room. 

Disturbed and confused, I gently placed the hourglass onto a bookshelf in my room. For some reason, he left me feeling cold and muddled; I couldn’t shake off the ominous feeling that greatly scared me. Perhaps it was the fact that Junhyung seemed so hollow; like a puppet that acted perfectly but had no feelings. It scared me, yet sparked curiosity at the same time.

“Trust,” I whispered to myself. “So easily broken.”



A/N
It sounds like a horror story at the end, haha. Well, well. 
I hope it was enjoyable enough? Sorry it was short- and thank you for the long wait!
Oh, and it would mean everything if you took this quick lil' poll! C:
 
 
 
 
.