The Preparation

Ji Yong's Bed and Breakfast

Today, like everyday since they got married, Ji Yong and Hyeon Mi do their morning routine diligently. They always start with Hyeon Mi giving a big glass of warm lemon water to Jiyong, and patiently waiting for him to finish the whole glass. She knows her husband really well. He can jug a whole bottle of alcohol without thinking too much, but he barely finish a glass of water without supervision. Therefore, she keeps track of his water intake by asking him to drink water at a certain time. Even when she’s not around, she will terror his manager with “Soon Ho Oppa, have Ji Yongie finishes his water?” every two hours.

Right after finishing the lemon water, the husband will feed the pets, while the wife will cook for their breakfast. Like what they’ve discussed the other night, today, they are having toast and corn soup as their breakfast. Soups and pastas are the only food Hyeon Mi’s proud of and can cook with her eyes closed. If she is asked to cook Korean foods, she will have to learn the recipe for a whole night and then cook for the whole morning, so they’ll eventually eat their breakfast on lunch time. It will be a morning-mare. 

Ji Yong can accept the fact that his wife is not good at cooking— as long as she is good on the bed. Kidding. He doesn’t think that his wife should devotedly cook for him, clean the house for him, and spend her time to please him. He is a functioning human being too, therefore he doesn’t need anyone to take care of him. He doesn’t require his wife to be good at house keeping, he just need his wife to be someone who understands him and to be someone who can take a good care of their child eventually. He is married for having a life companion, not a house maid.

“Oppa! What time is it?” Hyeon Mi screams from their kitchen so Ji Yong who’s currently recycling their trash can hear her. Ji Yong checks his phone and smile a little when he see Hyeon Mi’s weird sleeping position is being his phone wallpaper.
7.30” he screams as well so Hyeon Mi can hear him clearly.

“Okay. The food will be ready in ten minutes.”

“Alright madam.”

After finishing the trash recycling, Ji Yong goes to the kitchen to help Hyeon Mi preparing the food. He open the cabinet above Hyeon Mi to find the soup bowl, but he is startled when he finds a camera is sitting on the cabinet. He chuckles quite loudly when he’s thinking about how silly he might look on the camera right now.

“Just how many cameras they spread out all around our house?” Ji Yong looks all around him to count how many cameras are now capturing every step of his life. 

“Six in the kitchen itself.” Hyeon Mi responds without moving her focus from the stove. She has counted all cameras she could find with eyes from their bedroom to the kitchen. There are four in their bedroom, three in the hallway, TEN on the dining room, and there will be much more cameras spreading all around their humble house. As someone who’s not used to cameras, they give her culture shock. And she is not quite sure whether she has already gotten rid of her culture shock or not.

*

The breakfast is ready. Hyeon Mi and Ji Yong is now sitting in their dining room in silence. The only sound that can be heard comes from their music player that is playing Sufjan Steven’s song, Come On Feel The Illinoise. The vibrant mood from the song is not matched with the mood from the couple who’s now slowly slurping their soup with unreadable expression. They are now deep in their own thoughts. Deep. Too deep. It drowns them. And all of the sudden Hyeon Mi laughs loudly.

“What?” Ji Yong asks in shock.

“I don’t think people are expecting us to have this kind of morning,” she eat a spoonful of soup before she continues her words “I’m sure people are expecting us to hug and kiss all the time, speaking in the sweetest tunes, and talking about the most romantic things in the world.” Ji Yong laughs at her words, because turns out she’s thinking about the same thought as him.

“But here we are. I’m sure the PD is in headache right now because of our limited interactions.” 

“Oh my god…. what are we gonna do for the rest 2 weeks?” Hyeon Mi scratch her scalp while staring at countless cameras in her house right now.

“Hmmm…. I don’t know. Maybe we’re gonna be a good guest house owner?”

Ji Yong and Hyeon Mi is now participating on the second season of Hyori Bed and Breakfast. After wrapping the last season with a good rating, the staffs ask Hyori to help persuading Ji Yong to join the show. Ji Yong was really hesitant at first. He’s a kind of man who doesn’t like to open his house for strangers—especially his Jeju house. The Jeju House is the only place where he can let go his image as G-Dragon completely, and being Hyeon Mi’s husband 100%. The Jeju house was his wedding gift to Hyeon Mi who at that time wishing they could live a normal and simple life. Therefore, people won’t find anything wondrous in this house— No fancy foods and furnitures, no grand architectures, no super car, and no trace of G-Dragon at all. All they can find is Hyeon Mi’s humble touch all around the house. 

Ji Yong was scared about strangers coming into their house, and invade their life for a whole two weeks. But the thing that scared him the most was his own fans. He wasn’t sure about how his fans will react to his interactions with Hyeon Mi. He didn’t want Hyeon Mi to get hurt by his fans, like she used to be treated by his fans right after their wedding announcement. He knew, if he chose to accept the offer, he then has to show people his and Hyeon Mi’s flaws to public. If his calculations were right, then people will talk about how bad Hyeon Mi in cooking, how bad Hyeon Mi in speaking and interacting in Korean, and how different her manners compared to typical Koreans. He doesn’t want Hyeon Mi to be hurt by people when all she does are just being herself. 

In the end, he accepted the offer under the premise that there will be a strict selection of people coming into their house. After a long consideration, he and Hyeon Mi agreed that this show can also do good to them. Through the show, they want to introduce Hyeon Mi to the world. They want people know what is her story, whats aspects about her that Ji Yong loves, and how her flaws and Ji Yong’s flaws can be a good spice of their relationship.

***

“Who do you think is going to be our staff?” Ji Yong asks Hyeon Mi while driving their red Beetle. After waiting for a few seconds, he still doesn’t get any response from Hyeon Mi. He steal a glance at Hyeon Mi, and found his wife is staring at the sea, on the right side of the car. Ji Yong then annoys Hyeon Mi by taking down the window, creating a strong wind that brings dusts into Hyeon Mi’s eyes.

“What the hell?” Hyeon Mi angrily said while rubbing her eyes. She then pinch Ji Yong’s arm until his skin turns really white and Ji Yong screams loudly. They are about to start a fight when Hyeon Mi’s phone ringing. The both stare at each other  with their hard beating loudly. is it the guest? or the staff? Ji Yong thinks to himself.

“It’s mom!” Hyeon Mi screams in joy. Ji Yong tells her to turn the connection into speaker mode, so he can also hear what his mom is talking about.

“Good Afternoon, Mom…”

“Talk in Korean, Hyeon Mi.” The one who they call ‘mom’ answers Hyeon Mi’s greeting. This ‘mom’ is actually Ji Yong’s mom a.k.a Hyeon Mi’s mother-in-law. But because of Ji Yong and Hyeon Mi’s complicated background, they eventually share the same mom and father. You won’t find any awkwars conversation between Hyeon Mi and her ‘mother-in-law’ because both of them have been knowing each other since forever.

“Oops, okay mom.”

“Have you done preparing for the show?”

“We are on our way to the grocery store and blanket store, mom.”

“Ehhh? When will the guests start coming?”

“Perhaps today…. perhaps tomorrow…. they don’t give us any information.”

Then both Ji Yong and Hyeon Mi close their ears as their mom starts to rattle about how they will survive the two weeks if none of them is prepared. They are told to make lists of breakfast they’ll make, set of rules, and the list goes on.

“How can you have kids if you’re not even capable of handling guests?” Boom. The bomb is dropped. From the corner of his eyes, he can see Hyeon Mi’s movement get stiffened.

“JI YONG EOMMA!” From the distance, they can clearly hear Ji Yong’s father voice reprimanding Ji Yong’s mom’s choice of words. 

“Hyeon Mi.... I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you....” Ji Yong’s mom apologizes as she realizes her mistake. Ji Yong pulls over the car into the road as he sees Hyeon Mi spacing out in her seat. 

“Mom, we’re arrived. Talk to you later, okay?” Ji Yong ends the connection and put Hyeon Mi’s phone in the back seat of the car. He then hugs her tightly. He always does this when she disappears into herself, pulling her back into the world, reminding her that she’s alive.

“It’s okay.” He said. “I’m here” He tries to calm Hyeon Mi down, because Hyeon Mi once told him that she didn’t want to appear weak in front of the cameras. And his mom’s words do trigger Hyeon Mi’s weakness.

***

“Do we need this much ramyeon?” Ji Yong gets dizzy when he sees their trolley almost full with packs of instant noodle. Hyeon Mi and him are actually a healthy-food freak. They don’t usually allow themselves to eat more than two packs of instant noodle per week. They are more into fruits, nuts, and vegetables. But seeing Hyeon Mi buying instant noodles like crazy really tickles his heart.

“It’s for the guest. You are not allowed to eat this.”

“What? You’re trying to kill me, aren’t you?” In his head, Ji Yong is already thinking about slurping the hot and steamy noodles straight out of the pot on a cold rainy day. What a perfect life he imagined.

While Hyeon Mi is busy wandering around the grocery store to buy things on the list, Ji Yong is also busy tasting samples from all salesperson. He actually can buy the entire store with his balance in his bank account, but there is something about eating samples that he enjoys the most. He used to get shy easily when he’s approaching the salesperson to taste the samples, but he’s comfortable now. Thanks to Hyeon Mi who takes him to grocery store almost every week. And this grocery-shopping things is also one thing that changes in his live after he got married. When he was in Seoul, he rarely goes to convenience store, let alone goes grocery shopping.

Ji Yong’s phone ringing, unknown number is showing on the screen. He chose to ignore the call, because there’s no way their guest will call Ji Yong’s number, because the registered number for guests’ calls is Hyeon Mi’s business number. It is not the staff’s number either, because Ji Yong has saved all of the staff’s phone numbers. It must be some creepy fans he thought.

Now Ji Yong regrets his decision to eat samples, because Hyeon Mi is nowhere to be found now. He could not call her phone, because her phone was left on the back seat of their car. Asking the cameramen is also useless, because they won’t say a word to him. He cannot go to the customer centre either, because once he opens his mask, he will create a lot of ruckus. 

“Let’s just wait around the cashier.” Ji Yong’s words shocks the cameramen. He thought Ji Yong is going to create a scene when searching for Hyeon Mi, but then he give the team zero scene instead. He only wait and stand in front of the wall, while his eyes preys on people who come to the cashier. 

*

After an hour of sitting carelessly on the floor, Ji Yong finally sees Hyeon Mi’s presence approaching him with light steps. “Finished?” Ji Yong asked in between his yawn. His eyes inspecting every single goods that Hyeon Mi put on the trolley. Wow. That. Is. A. Lot. 

“Yup. It’s time for you to shine.” Hyeon Mi rests her head on Ji Yong’s hand with the silliest gesture she could create to lighten up Ji Yong’s mood.

“Meh, you know it doesn’t work, right?”

“Nevermind, whether it works or not, you’ll still pay.” Ji Yong only scoffs and takes his credit card out of his pocket. That is THE credit card. The one that is limitless, and used for buying numbers of clothes in Balenciaga, Chanel, and many other luxurious shops in Seoul and other countries. He used to buy luxurious clothes like he was buying HNM clothing to fulfill their walk-in-closet in Seoul, but he isn’t now. He’s now enjoying everything that he and Hyeon Mi do together, and making his own clothes is on the list. They will go to vintage clothing and look for the one they desire, take it home, and both of them will work together to modify the clothing into their own clothing. It is more limited than those you bought from those stores said Hyeon Mi to Ji Yong once. 

“We finished?” 

“Not really, we need to go to buy more blankets, and I also need to buy some fabrics and wool thread for the art supplies.”

“How about we split? I’ll buy the blankets, you take care of your art supplies. We need to save time.” 

“All right. Do you need art supplies for your own?”

“Hmmm… buy me more paints and blank tote bags. I’m thinking about making souvenirs for our guests.” After discussing with Hyeon Mi, they both come to a agreement about what common activity they can do with their guest in the morning. In Hyori’s BnB, Hyori and the guests induced a yoga class in the morning. But since none of Hyeon Mi and Ji Yong mastering yoga, nor any other class, they decided to make an art session every morning. Ji Yong can ‘teach’ them how to customize their clothes with painting, and Hyeon Mi can ‘teach’ the guests how to tie-dye, embroider fabric, and knitting. Hyeon Mi and Ji Yong came from an ‘artsy’ background after all. 

“Don’t leave me like last time, okay?” Hyeon Mi clearly remember when they first moved to Jeju, Ji Yong left her alone in the fish market, because Ji Yong forgot about her when he finished buying his art supplies near the fish market. He realized that he left his wife behind when he arrived at house and didn’t find Hyeon Mi around. It was a funny yet terrible experience Hyeon Mi tasted. It’s funny because she could see clumsy side of Ji Yong who is really serious on the stage, but terrible because she had to take bags of heavy stuffs all by herself.

“I’ll cross my heart.” 

***

Ji Yong and Hyeon Mi is now on their back to their house. Hyeon Mi is feeding Ji Yong with fried dumpling they bought at the supermarket earlier. They are actually very hungry right now, and pieces of dumplings won’t fulfill their needs. But Ji Yong promised to cook shabu-shabu for their lunch, so they can’t eat outside.

“Hyeon Mi, please play playlist we created last week!” In Jeju, Hyeon Mi and Ji Yong has so much free time on their hand. It sometimes a little too much until they run out of idea about what they should do next. Therefore they create a habit of making playlists for each situation they encounter in their life. There are playlist for casual dinner, playlist for reading book in the afternoon, playlist for morning tea, playlist for gardening, playlist for driving in the afternoon, playlist for —

“Playlist for making love?” Hyeon Mi asks jokingly. But they do have a playlist for that occasion though. It’s sometimes consisted of jazz music, classical music, or also deep house music. It depends on how they wanted to do that at the time.

“I want to! But these cameras are watching us really closely.” Ji Yong points out at the camera on the dashboard, on each side of the car, on the back side, and anywhere in the car. They both chuckle in embarrassment. 

“You know, Hyeon Mi?” Ji Yong can’t stop his chuckles “When we were at supermarket earlier, did you realize the products placed near the cashier?” Hyeon Mi thinks for a moment, but soon after she looks at Ji Yong with her I-know-what-you-are-doing-there-you-ert look. Ji Yong catches her expression and laugh a little bit.

“When I saw that, I thought to myself ‘Man…. don’t try selling me these products. I can’t even finish the whole box I have at home’’’ Hyeon Mi then close her face with her hand out of embarrassment. She didn’t expect Ji Yong would say that things in front of the camera. Even if it’s now legal for them to do that anytime and anywhere, It is still not appropriate for broadcast.

“Boy…. Cameras, boy. Be careful. Hahahaha….” Hyeon Mi is trying not to pay so much attention to her burning cheeks by scrolling down the list of playlists on Ji Yong’s phone. She eventually plays the playlist for afternoon driving #5 as the back sound of today’s trip. After that, Hyeon Mi tries to open Ji Yong’s instagram by opening it though the notification center. But she quickly realizes a very important message Ji Yong has missed.

“Oppa…. damn, we are screwed.” Hyeon Mi starts panicking.

“What? Why?”

“I think we need to go back ASAP”

“Why, Hyeon Mi?”

“Our staff has been waiting for us……… since three hours ago”

“DAMN! How do you know?” Ji Yong starts driving a little bit faster after knowing that someone’s waiting for them in outside their house.

Hyeon Mi then reads the message that was sent to Ji Yong’s phone.

Hello, Sajang-nim. This is Park Bo Gum, your new Bed and Breakfast’s staff. I’m sorry I didn’t inform you about my arrival beforehand, the staffs refused to give me your number. I have tried to call you and inform you about my arrival, but you didn’t answer the call. I am already outside of your gate. If you are not at home, please take your time. I will wait for you. 

“PARK BO GUM?” Ji Yong amusedly screamed. “THE ACTOR PARK BO GUM?” He acts like he didn’t believe his own ear. Damn I have just mistreated Korea’s biggest actor. He cringe at the thought of his fans throwing tantrum at him. But he cringe even more when realizing that Hyeon Mi must be really nervously-happy right now, because she’ll be working with her favorite actor now. 

“Hyeon Mi…. Snap out of it. You are married, okay?” Ji Yong warned Hyeon Mi. But the person is just smiling slyly. 

“Damn it you ert."