An Old Friend

Pushed Aside - Jong Suk

Dim light highlighted select parts of your shared apartment, outfitted in your favorite pair of sweatpants and worn t shirt that hugged you in all the right places. Folding your legs underneath you, your bare feet brushed against the soft fabric of your couch as your boyfriend, Jongsuk, carried over some snacks from the kitchen to the living room. Jongsuk placed the tray with a large bowl of popcorn, a smaller bowl of your favorite candies next to two tall glasses of your favorite drink.

“What’s on the menu tonight, waiter?” You , wrapping your arms around your bended knees pulled to your chest.

“Tonight I have for you some lightly seasoned puffed corn, some delectable candies and to top it all off your favorite drink.” Jongsuk sat on the edge of the couch, sitting up tall as if he was really a waiter.

“Hrmmm is this the best you can do?” You continued to , shooting him a questionable look.

“If you don’t believe me, then you can try it for yourself” Jongsuk tried hard not to let a smile curl onto his lips as he lifted the tray of food onto his lap allowing you to sample each of the foods on the bamboo breakfast tray.

Carefully choosing a few pieces of popcorn, you cautiously slipped the puffed corn in between your lips. Your favorite flavor of popcorn lightly touched your tongue before the flavor began to spread around your oral cavity. Next, your fingers dragged over your favorite candies, taking one or two pieces more than you did the popcorn you slipped the candy between your pair of lips. A happy hum spilled from your lips causing Jongsuk to smile brightly in response to your hum.

“Sounds like you approve” Jongsuk whispered as the grin couldn’t be caged any longer. Sitting back, he pulled the remote from the coffee table before he played the movie that was already loaded onto the tv screen.

“I might approve” You smiled as you let Jongsuk settle amongst the cushions before cuddling up to his side. With his arm wrapping around your shoulders and cradling you against him, your head rested just right below his shoulder but on his chest as you could still hear the resounding beats of his heart coupled with the deep, even and relaxing breaths.

Not very far along into the movie, your phone began to dance along the glass top of the coffee table as an incoming call captured your attention. Sitting up from Jongsuk’s hold, you read the name of the incoming call.

“I won’t be long” You told Jongsuk, he paused the movie as you picked up the call and climbed over Jongsuk’s long extended legs that rested on top of the glass coffee table top.

Jongsuk watched you trot back to your shared bedroom, gathering a few treats between his fingers he slipped the treats between his lips before pulling out his phone just to try and pass the time. Watching the time tick by in the top right hand corner of his phone, he continued to scroll through social media for several more minutes on end until you have been on the phone for more than half an hour. A sigh left his lips as he carefully placed the bamboo breakfast tray holding the treats on the coffee table. Standing to his feet, he walks into the kitchen looking through the refrigerator hearing your laughter echo within the bedroom, looking over his shoulder he slowly began to make his way to the bedroom door.

Standing at the door frame he peered in the shared bedroom to see you laying on your stomach, your legs kicking back and forth in the air while your fingers run through the ends of your high set ponytail. Watching you giggle, smile and blush, Jongsuk felt something not sitting right within him. A groaning floorboard tipped you off that you were being watched as you turned your head to see Jongsuk standing in the doorway, his arms folded while his face was contorted in confusion.

“Can you hold on a moment?” You told the person on the other side of the phone. Setting your phone on the bed, you crawled off of the bed and trotted over to the doorway.

“Who is on the phone?” Jongsuk questioned as his heart began to beat faster in jealousy.

“Just an old friend” You reassured him with a smile, “Why don’t you go start the movie again, I will be right out.”

“Okay, I just don’t want you to miss the movie” Jongsuk pushed himself away from the doorframe feeling slightly defeated.

“Don’t worry, I know you will fill me in” You gave his arm a light pat before you pushed the door closed before heading back to the bed to resume your call.