Getting Closer

Hairballs (beauty lies in the eye of the beholder)
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Friday, freaking finally," Seungcheol mumbled while he rummaged through his fridge, hunting for any potential breakfast. Behind a half-empty bottle of water and some cans of beer, he discovered an already opened pack of sausages, he had no memories of buying. Carefully he picked it up and took a whiff to check whether they were still edible. Deciding that they smelled normal enough, he also grabbed two eggs and turned around, almost tripping over Woozi in the process. With a panicked little half-jump, he caught the egg that had slipped out of his hand and simultaneously prevented himself from flattening his cat.

"Oh my god! Don't sneak up on me like that!" The cat seemed unimpressed by his scolding, amber eyes locked onto the meat in his hand. "You're not getting those; you have your own food, Woozi."

Seungcheol carefully stepped around his pet and placed everything on the counter. Deciding that coffee would be a good idea to start the day, he the coffee machine and the radio before he once again opened the fridge to get some milk - only to find the carton almost empty. "Huh? Wasn't it full yesterday? The stress is really getting to me."

With a shrug, he poured what was left in his cup before he began to fry his breakfast. It didn't take long for him to start singing.

 

Seungcheol brought his plate and the pot of coffee to the table and sat down, reaching for his mug. He raised a sceptical eyebrow at the amount of milk in it. He could have sworn it was more when he poured it.

A quiet mew interrupted his thoughts and he was met with Woozi's penetrating stare. "Your food is over there; you know that already," Seungcheol said tiredly and waved his fork in the direction of the bowl. The cat kept staring. Seungcheol pointedly took a big bite of his food and instantly burned his tongue.

 

Woozi had once again proven that he was a frighteningly intelligent animal.

Seungcheol stood in the crowded subway on his way to work and contemplated whether cats had an extra sense to figure out weak spots of their owners. He grimaced at the painful memory of burning his tongue and how Woozi had rubbed himself against his leg as soon as he had squealed in pain. On one hand he was glad that the cat seemed to warm up to him, but on the other hand he had the nagging feeling that he had only done so to get some of his food (which - to Seungcheol's shame - he had gotten without much resistance. It was almost impossible to deny Woozi when he was acting cute).

 

When Seungcheol returned home, he slumped onto the sofa with a loud groan and tried not to think about the passive-aggressive pep talk his boss had given him earlier.

Being told that it hadn't been his fault (that he had failed) and that it wasn't much of a problem for the company (although they had lost a potential investor - because of him), that new chances would arise (his colleagues would be in charge of them) and that he had earned himself a break (regardless if he wanted or not) was nice, but it also left a somewhat bitter aftertaste in his mouth. Well, at least he had gotten Monday off which was a plus although he had no idea what to do during the prolonged weekend.

At the quiet sound of soft paws on wood, he opened his eyes and smiled at the sight of Woozi. "I hope your day was better than mine. You're really lucky that you don't have a ty boss who orders you around." Seungcheol yawned and stretched lazily. "Are you hungry, kitty?"

Just when he was about to get up, the cat leaped onto the sofa next to his feet, making him freeze in place. With a quiet purr, Woozi curled up close to his thigh.

It took a moment before Seungcheol dared to breathe again but slowly he relaxed, the soothing warmth against his leg helping him to calm down. He fell asleep only a few minutes later.

 

When Seungcheol got woken up by the morning sun shining through the living room windows, his chest felt oddly tight and he had trouble breathing. Startled, he opened his eyes - only to find a small cat sitting on him.

They examined each other warily before Woozi leaned in and the tip of Seungcheol's nose. Then he jumped up and quickly scurried into the kitchen.

Seungcheol remained motionless on the couch for a long moment, heart hammering and a wide grin blossoming on his lips.

 

The cat had avoided him for the majority of the day and Seungcheol had no idea why. He had his face earlier, for Pete's sake, and now he was acting as if Seungcheol had some sort of highly contagious disease. Even Woozi's favourite toy (an already pretty chewed up rubber mouse) hadn't been able to change his mind.

Sulkily, Seungcheol was sitting on the couch, flipping through the channels of his TV, and contemplated whether he should call Jisoo to complain. Since it was already pretty late, he decided against it and instead got up to get ready for bed.

As soon as he was comfortably wrapped into his blanket, the mattress dipped slightly, indicating the arrival of a guest - but two could play that game and Seungcheol (like the responsible adult he was) turned his back to Woozi. The cat wasn't the least bit deterred by his behaviour and climbed on him, making him turn back in an instant. "Why are you always stepping on me today?! I'm not a god damn-"

The words got stuck in his throat. Whether it was because of surprise or because his mouth was filled with fur when Woozi rubbed his fuzzy forehead against his chin, he couldn't quite pinpoint. He reached out from under his blanket and this time Woozi allowed him to run his fingers over his silky back before he curled up next to him to sleep as well.

 

On Sunday, Seungcheol developed a sudden, intense craving for chocolate - only to find that there was no chocolate left in the flat. Well, he could go outside and simply buy chocolate but it was wet and not nice, therfore he decided to stay in and wallow in self-pity instead. Unhappily he sat at his kitchen table and watched raindrops run down the window, imagining a sad piano melody as a fitting background music for his life.

The sudden thought that he still had some baking ingredients left in one of his cupboards made him lift his head (they were leftovers from Jisoo's birthday earlier this year when he had produced a truly horrendous cake). He jumped up, startling Woozi who was watching him from the safety of the door frame, and ripped open his cupboards until he found flour, sugar and cacao powder. With a triumphant sound, he tiptoed to reach the bags but couldn't quite grasp them right. Being the man he was, he decided to try again instead of doing the intelligent thing and getting something to climb on. The cat watched him with a weird mixture of curiosity and concern when he reached up again - and then the inevitable happened: the bags slipped through his fingers and fell.

While the flour landed on Seungcheol's head, dosing him in a pretty shade of snow white, the carton of cacao only hit his shoulder painfully and spilled its content everywhere when it hit the ground. Surprised, Seungcheol tumbled backwards, hitting a chair in the process, before he went down - the following cloud of flour and cacao powder settled in a decorative layer on almost all surfaces of the kitchen.

"Oooow, god damn it!" Slowly he sat up and rubbed his face, trying to get the flour out of his eyes. A quiet sneeze made him turn around and he gasped in horror at the sight of his formerly white cat. Woozi looked not amused.

 

It had taken much longer than he cared to admit for Seungcheol to catch his pet - and even after he had gotten him, Woozi put up quite a bit of a fight.

Both of them looked thoroughly dishevelled (and also slightly bloody in Seungcheol's case) when he carried the tired cat into the bathroom. Woozi mewled miserably and wiggled around in protest while Seungcheol checked the water temperature, but he was having none of it and after determining that the water was just right, he carefully dipped him in. At first Woozi bristled in discomfort (which looked more funny than intimidating with his wet fur and the cat gave Seungcheol the stink eye when he snorted) but after a moment he seemed to get used to it.

It took Seungcheol over an hour to get every little bit of cacao powder out of Woozi's fur and return it to its former white glory. While his back and knees almost killed him, the cat looked deeply relaxed afterwards.

 

His free Monday was spent cleaning the flat since yesterday's chase had carried flour and cacao powder everywhere. At the end of the day, he decided to never bake again. Ever.

 

Seungcheol was worried. Seriously worried even. Ever since Woozi had arrived nine days ago, he had only used his brand-new litter box twice and that couldn't be healthy for such a small animal, right?

To his relief, Jisoo shared his concerns when he called him and they had an intense discussion about the digestive system of cats.

"Maybe the fresh food is causing the constipation? But he won't eat anything else," Seungcheol lamented and examined Woozi, who was playing with a toy in the corner of the living room. At least he didn't seem to be in pain.

"It could be. Does he get aggressive when you try to pet his belly?"

"He only lets me pet his back and head so far. And not all that often either..." He pouted.

"I see. Then you should bring him in so I can feel his stomach and decide if we need to do something."

Seungcheol scratched his head at the words of his friend. "Do something? Like what?"

"Well, maybe we need to clear out his bowels a bit."

Seungcheol flinched when Woozi almost instantly hissed and dashed into the bedroom. Confused, he eyed the forgotten toy and wondered what it had done to the cat to earn such a reaction.

 

Woozi didn't leave the safe space under the bed for the following two days (at least not while Seungcheol was in the same room), but his bowel problems seemed to have gotten magically cured and Seungcheol happily told Jisoo all the details during their next game night.

 

Seungcheol was sure that he was slowly losing his mind. Stuff seemed to randomly move around in his flat and he had no recollection of placing it where ever it turned up. Also sometimes things vanished completely.

Not too long ago, he had bought a pretty expensive perfume (after reading in a magazine that women liked men who smelled nice) and had tried it out at home. Admittedly, he might have used a tiny little bit too much, but he still thought that Woozi's bristled fur and disgusted looks had been a bit of an overreaction.

A few days later when he had decided to wear it to work (maybe then he could finally gather enough courage to talk to Krystal, the pretty secretary), he hadn't been able to find it anywhere, regardless how much he had searched for it. In the end he had given up, deciding that he must have misplaced it somehow and that it would turn up eventually, just like all the other stuff.

It

Please log in to read the full chapter