2. Wheein

Demi God Diaries

I honestly don't know where this came from, but I'm just happy to have something to post tbh. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Wheein 

 

 

Wheein had been in Camp Half Blood for a really long time now.

 

 She had been forced to go in when she was 8 years old and a monster attacked her in park where her parents had taken her. Luckily for her, no one was hurt thanks to the girl with the two bronze swords and the boy with a baseball bat that, out of nowhere, jumped in and saved the day.  She learned after the two kids had a talk with her parents that their names were Moonbyul and Minhyuk. They both didn’t look that much older then her, but the way they carried themselves, and the way they talked with the adults as if they were on the same level, made them look that much more mature. Or maybe it was just the weapons they still had in their hands and how they just killed in monster a front of Wheein (she was still confused about that part). 

 

Wheein couldn’t hear a lot from the conversation they were having a few feet away from her, except  some hush “I’m sorry”, “It’s happening too soon”, “too dangerous”, “needs to go now” and then again “So sorry”. From what she gathered, she understood that, one: her parents knew where those people came from, and two:  she wasn’t coming back home anytime soon. 

 

After a very shaky explanation from her sobbing mother saying that she was “special” and that her father wasn’t her biological father, she had to say goodbye to her family, with the promise of coming back “soon”, and left with a whole lot of questions and the two strangers that just saved her life to some camp she never heard about. 

 

She learned on their way to her “new home” as the boy had said, that she was indeed right and those two weren’t that much older. The girl, Moonbyul, was 12, and the boy, Minhyuk, was 14. They were nice, funny even, and Wheein could see that they were trying to cheer her up, though they seemed a bit on edge, always watching their backs. They told her about this camp, how it’s always sunny, how all the kids there are all nice (mostly) and “like her” (whatever that means), they told her about all the games, activities, classes. All in all, it sounded pretty much like the perfect place on earth. But it was a bit hard to be excited about the prospect of going there when it meant leaving her family. 

 

 

The first couple of weeks were kind of hard and kind of weird. But if you asked Wheein, she’d say she’s pretty proud how well she took the news about greek gods being real (what??) , and her having a greek god as a father (what?????), making her a demigod (what??????).  What an 8 year old Wheein didn’t particularly take well, was the fact that she couldn’t go home yet. But you can’t really blame her for that. 

 

It took three weeks of her being at Camp Half Blood for her father to claim her. During those three weeks, she stayed in the Hermes cabin, god of the travelers who accepted anyone that came by, which also happened to be Minhyuk’s permanent cabin. She had been a little disappointed when she learned that Moonbyul was a daughter of Athena, and that she couldn’t stay with her. She would deny it today, and Moonbyul would always use it to embarrass her, but Wheein was a really shy child. So anytime she could, she would stick by Moonbyul’s side and follow her around as she explained to her everything she needed to know about camp, then when Moonbyul was busy, she’d stay with Minhyuk, who would tell her anything she needed to know about the other campers. And they both became Wheein’s best friends at camp.

 

The day she was claimed by her father, the day she would finally know in which cabin she belong to, she was with Moonbyul and her friend from the Apollo Cabin, Solar. Wheein didn’t talk to a lot to other campers but Moonbyul had insisted she tried and make friends, so she introduced her to Solar. The first thing that came out of Wheein’s mouth when she said people called her Solar and that she was a child of Apollo was “that’s not a very creative nickname…” and as she was about to apologize for sounding rude, the two older girls started laughing and Solar put one arm around Wheein’s shoulders “I like you, Jung Wheein, you’re funny.”.  Since then, Wheein didn’t mind hanging out with her, with or without Moonbyul.

Which brings them here, one day sunny, when Solar decided to teach Wheein how to properly hold a bow and shoot an arrow. Turns out, Wheein was a natural. 

 

“Maybe you’ll end up in my cabin !” Solar had joked. And Wheein dared to hope a little. Apollo had been her number two wish since she started talking to Solar. Her first being the Hermes cabin, since she was already staying there, she had made a few friends, and she really did wish for Minhyuk to be her real (half) brother. She couldn’t wait to know. She couldn’t wait to belong. And as if the gods heard her, as she was about to fire another arrow, she heard Solar and Moonbyul gasped. When she turned around to ask them what was the matter, she watched as Moonbyul, looking at her proudly, pointed a finger just above her head. When she looked up, she saw it. The glowing caduceus, symbol of Hermes. Her father. Hermes. Who just acknowledged her. He acknowledged her ! She broke into a fit of laughter, jumping up and down and she didn’t stop even as Moonbyul hugged her. 

 

 

 

When a 9 years old Wheein asked Moonbyul if she had any family outside of camp, the latter answered, with the delicate honesty she has even today when talking to Wheein, that she has a sister and a father and she had lost touch with them. 

 

When a 10 years old Wheein asked Minhyuk where his home was, he answered with a bitter sweet smile that this was home. 

 

When she was 10 years old, Wheein understood what this camp meant to the kids living there, and what it started to mean to her. She especially understood that when she was 11. 

 

Because when she was 11, Wheein met Hwasa. Beautiful, kind, intimidating Hwasa, who got claimed by the goddess Aphrodite, to no one’s surprise, only 4 days after she got to camp. They were the same age, had the same sense of humor, and hit it off immediately. The two of them were together every time they could be. Moonbyul , saying she was getting jealous that Wheein didn’t follow around like she used to before. Wheein just blushed and told her to shut up. But she did spend that night’s bonfire sitting next to Moonbyul.

 

When she was 12, after four years of going back and force between camp and her parent’s home, she decided to stay permanently at camp, and go home only for the holidays or special occasions. Her parents weren’t opposed to the idea, it really just felt as if Wheein was in boarding school. And they knew their daughter had learn to love that place and the people there.  

 

Now that Wheein is 17 years old, she can’t picture a life where she isn’t living at camp. Where she isn’t celebrating with Minhyuk and everyone from her cabin after they won a capture the flag game. Where she didn’t laugh everyday with Hwasa. Where she isn’t helping the new kids with archery along Solar. Where she wasn’t always in detention or completing some kind of punishment with Moonbyul after getting caught pulling a prank.  

17 years old Wheein finally couldn't imagine a life where she didn't belong. And it felt damn good.