Shine Forever

Shine Forever

Bruised arms, bruised lip, body aches and headaches... this was how your body was like for the past year now. Exorcism? No. Stepmom? Yes. Your father married another person right after your real mother passed away from a chronic illness. First 2 months were okay until your stepmom brought her daughter to move in together with us. You were really happy to have a sister but more like a friend because you two were the same age. You wanted to share a room together to have late night talks about boys, shopping and other hobbies, but your stepmother wanted you guys to have separate rooms for privacy matters. Your father was a very wealthy man and all woman from across the world wanted to have some kind of relationship with him. You were the only only child that he had and he loved you dearly, giving you everything you wanted in the world. But you weren't like other rich girls, you were more polite, well behaved and thought more about donating money to the poor and sick. You were very pretty as well, taking your mother's genes, smart like your father and recently you started taking interest in self defense because other big companies tried to pay thugs to kidnap you in order to threaten your father for money. 

After 2 months when your father was away on his buisness trip, that's when it started to get weird. Less and less your stepmother was giving back replies and would most of the time ignore you when your in the same room. She would only make enough food portions for just her daughter and herself and would say "Oh, forgot that you were home.". You were too nice to notice that she did it on purpose and forgave her and say, "that's okay, I was probably really quiet for you to know I was home. Go ahead and finish eating, I'll make myself something to eat later.". But week after week the ignoring and forgetting became the usual and whenever your father was home you would get the sweetest affection from her. You soon noticed how odd everything was and realized your stepmother did not like you, more worse she was only after your father's money. Your step sister, Minah was shy at first but her true self came out whenever you tried to speak to her. 4 months in was when the abuse started, slap in the face would become a regular day to day thing and pushing you down the stairs would be every week. You questioned them why and your stepmother would answer, "If only you weren't here then your father would give his heir to my daughter but since you're here he's thinking of splitting them.". You were shocked that all this abuse was because of your father's money. You tried to fight back and tell your father when he come home but you were threatened by your stepmother. "If your father hears one thing about this and I'll tell him that you go around being a rag with all the men you can get in touch with and have him send you to abroad and never have you step a foot in Korea again!".

All the abuse and the criticism you get made you change the way you view new people. You told yourself everyday that you'll become stronger and stronger to protect yourself. But the more you tried, your stepmother pushed even more. She would sometimes make you stay in your room until your father came back home and only give you 1 meal a day or just water. You decided once high school was over you were gonna go live by yourself and try to make money on your own. You couldn't tell your father about the bause because you were scared you'd really be sent abroad and the most important thing was whenever your father sees your stepmother his eyes light up and you knew he loved her.  You didn't want to take that away from him especially because he would've been lonely since your mother passed away. Starting from the beginning you knew you were alone in this fight.

Senior year of high school came along and like the usual your father's driver would drive you and Minah to school. First day of school was great because you had a lot of friends and they welcomed you in every group, some were just becuase you were your fathers daughter and the other was becuase it was your true beauty and politeness. School was the only way for you to breathe, so you enjoyed it in every second and only wished it would be like this forever, or so you wished. Minah on the other hand was very shy, she had trouble speaking in front of the class and had a hard time concentrating. When we got our test scores and report cards back, Minah always came in last for grades. You wanted to help her get her grades up but low key you were happy that there was something you can beat her with. But...even that happiness was short gone because your stepmother didn't like it one bit. She suggested to get a private tutor just for her daughter and she still couldn't bring up her grades but on the other hand you didn't have a tutor and still managed to top first in the entire school. Big colleges were already offering big amounts of scholarships to make you go their college. Your father was very proud of you and he told you to choose a college you wanted to go to and...he asked Minah to pick a college she likes and he'll make sure she goes to that school even if her grades don't make it. Hate was growing inside and you hated yourself even more for hating her. Without yourself noticing you were trying so hard in school even more just to get your fathers attention and compliment but he always did give you everything but now he splits those attentions and compliments with Minah. 

After school, you wanted to stay for clubs but your stepmother made you come home straight and clean. Day by day you were less and less allowed to be part of a club and slowly your friends noticed the change in your and they started to leave your side. And you also noticed that Minah would give updates on how you acted, what food you ate and who you hanged out with. Soon all that was was also not allowed and your schedule was home school, home school. Even school was becoming hard to breathe and glares from Minah at school made you act more introverted. "If only someone was here to rescue me...."