CHAPTER 5 Budding Buddy

Fate Game

.05


DANIEL POV

“Good Morning! My name is Daniel Kang and I am new here, nice to meet you and please take good care of me!”

 

I greet my colleagues as I go to almost every floor of the office. By colleagues, I mean people that work together with me in the same place. A few days ago, I had received a call from the PARK CORPORATION informing that I was officially hired to be the new personal assistant of Miss Roseanne Park, and today will be my first day of work. I finally got myself a full-time job!

 

First thing when I arrived the building this morning, I went to register my name with the security guard in the lobby. There is where I got my lanyard and employee ID.The lanyard is black in colour with the gold-coloured ‘PC’ initial all over it, while the ID has my name and icon printed on it. It is so cool because only people that have the ID can have access to the building and go to the upper floors to where they work. This is such a memorable day for me, I will definitely have to take a picture with my lanyard and ID later.

 

Frankly, I never really expect that I will be accepted into the company. I mean, this is PARK CORPORATION we are talking about, which is like a dream place for people who wants to take a leap on their future. I was already feeling grateful when I was called to attend the interview, but getting the position definitely feels like cherry on the cake.

 

I was quite shocked when I first saw my future boss who is such a young lady. She does not look any older than 25 years old, yet she is already the CEO of the top company in South Korea. I am not initiating that young woman can’t achieve success because everyone has their own life, but she indeed is different from what I expected. She is really pretty, but what confused me the most is behind that young and pretty face, it seems like there is a story that has been bugging her for a long time. I cannot sense a slight of happiness from her even though she is already living a life many people look upon to. I don’t know what is bothering her but I do know that she must get over it for her to feel happy, to get away from the sorrow. After the interview session ended, I cannot help myself but tell her that she deserves to be happy no matter what is going through in her life. It must have been really creepy for her to hear that from a stranger that she literally just met for the first time. Thankfully, she might not think so and eventually still hire me to assist her.

 

I knock the door of Miss Roseanne’s office and she responds it really quickly by telling me to come inside. I am so excited to be here so I bring a cup of hot coffee and a slice of cake because everybody loves cake and coffee, right? It is always the best combination to make a person’s day. This shouldn’t go wrong.

 

“Good morning, Miss Roseanne.” I bow to her and walk toward her table.

 

“Good morning, Mr Daniel. Welcome and congratulations on your first day of work.” She smiles at me in the most polite way.

 

“Thank you for considering me, Miss Roseanne. Have you eaten your breakfast yet? Because here is a cup of Americano and a cake for you.” I put them on her table right in front of her.

 

“That is so good of you Mr Daniel, but no thank, I am not really a coffee person.”

 

Her smile suddenly dropped as she looks away from me to the document instead.

 

“Oh my bad, but do you want to have this cake, instead? It is really nice.”

 

“I do not feel like to have some cake as well,”

 

“Are you sure? It is a Red Velvet Cheesecake, the signature cake for the cafe and it is my personal favourite too.”

 

Miss Roseanne suddenly hits her table and starts to breathe heavily. Oh no, this has gone completely wrong. Do I have to say goodbye to my first job on the first day- the first hour already?

 

“Thank you for your kindness Mr Daniel, but I do not want to have any cake, no matter Red Velvet Cheesecake of whatever cake it is. Maybe you can eat it yourself or give it to other people.”

 

“Oh… okay.”

 

I walk out from her office slowly and head to the pantry to find someone that will accept the cake and the coffee happily. A moment ago she was all friendly when she greeted me but another moment later she began to look frustrated. I wonder what did I do wrong?

 

“Hello, Mr Daniel!”

 

Someone just walks into the pantry and it happens to be one of the people who I knew.

 

“Oh, hello Miss Jennie.” I give her a forced smile.

 

“Why do you look like you are full of thoughts when it is just the first day of your work? Is someone going hard on you?”

 

“No, Miss Jennie. Everyone has been really good to me. Well, it’s just that I went to Miss Roseanne’s office to greet her just now and it was all fine until I offered her this coffee and cake.” I point at the possible culprits of Miss Roseanne’s mood change that sits steadily on the table because I am not sure who is the real one. It could’ve been me.

 

“Oh my, since you are new here I should have really given you a briefing to get an idea about your job. Now listen carefully, here are a few things that you need to notice about Miss Roseanne. Firstly, like what you had encountered just now, do not offer her any coffee and cake. Miss Roseanne has insomnia problem so she cannot drink too much coffee. She also does not like cake so it is better to avoid giving her that. Foods and beverages other than that are considered safe.”

 

“That explains it. I guess I learned it the hard way.” I sighed and continue listening to Miss Jennie.

 

“Starting from tomorrow, you will have to go to Miss Roseanne’s house before going to the office with her. Like what I said just now, she has insomnia so if you happen to see she is still sleeping when you go to her house, do not wake her up. Just let her sleep and wait until she wakes up. Your work time is flexible because you can go back early if Miss Roseanne allows you to, but you might also have to work overnight if she ever needs to. She usually grants her personal assistants a day off if she thinks they are overworked. ”

 

“I see. Is there anything else?”

 

“This is probably the last but the most important one: be patient with her. Miss Roseanne can have mood swing sometimes but she really is a good person. The more you get to know her, the more you can understand her and the easier your job will be. Just give it some time,” She pats my shoulder and smiles softly.

 

“I get it now, thank you so much, Miss Jennie. I owe you big time.”

 

“It is no big deal, just be nice to her, okay? Rosie really is a likeable person. I am sure you will like her in no time.”

 

“What?” I have to ask her once again to make sure I am not hearing things wrong.

 

“As a friend.”

 

“Ohh…”

 

It is sad to hear that she is suffering from insomnia. I can’t imagine myself to not being able to sleep after a whole day of work. It already sounds awful just by thinking about it. I wonder if there is anything I can do to help her?

 

 

My workplace is inside Miss Roseanne’s office, just by the corner near to her table. The view from my desk is amazing, the busy streets of Seoul city and magnificent skyscrapers. Miss Roseanne has given me some paperwork to do and thankfully she is already calmer than before. We were so focused on our own works that we did not realise that the time is a little bit past lunch time already.

 

“Mr Daniel.”

 

“Y-yes Miss Roseanne, do you need anything?” I still get nervous when she calls my name.

 

“I am sorry that I am harsh on you just now. To compensate for my mistake and to celebrate our first day working together, can I treat you to a lunch?”

 

“You don't really have to, Miss Roseanne. I mean, I did it before asking you too so-”

 

“I insist! Come on, I will call Jennie to join us. Please?”

 

“If you said so.”

 

Miss Roseanne smiles a little for her small victory when I finally give in. She reaches for her phone and makes a phone call which I assume is to Miss Jennie.

 

“Hey Jennie, I am treating Mr Daniel for late lunch, do you want to join us?”

 

“I really want to but I have to go home right now. My neighbour just called me and said that there are sounds of flowing water coming out from my house, I think the water tap might be broken. Enjoy your meal with Mr Hot Personal Assistant anyway!”

 

“I see, okay. Bye~” She hangs up the call, “Looks like she has something urgent and cannot join us.”

 

“Oh…”

 

I hope this won’t be more awkward than it is.

 

“Let’s see! Which cuisine do you prefer?” She asks.

 

“I am fine with anything, Miss Roseanne.”

 

 

After numerous suggestions from Miss Roseanne and me nodding head in every one of them, at last, we have decided to eat in a Chinese restaurant. We also just found something that we have in common: the enthusiasm towards Chinese food.

 

“Do you know that I really like Chinese cuisine so I went to Chinatown almost every week when I was still studying in the United States.” Miss Roseanne initiates the conversation after we have ordered our food.

 

“My friends will not let me suggest places to eat because I will only choose Chinese restaurant.”

 

“Is that why you just agree with any of my suggestions when I asked you just now? So that you don’t have to suggest?”

 

“Pretty much like that. That is why my eyes spark a little when I heard you told the driver to bring us to a Chinese place.”

 

“I thought I saw it wrong, your eyes I mean. Well, your friends definitely do not know how to appreciate the art of food which is the Chinese delicacy.” She rolls her eyes as if she despises my friends so much.

 

“I second that.” We both laugh at that comment.

 

She is actually really nice to talk with, I realised. Now I have to think of something to keep the ball rolling. Come on, Daniel…

 

“I-I am really sorry for just now, Miss Roseanne.”

 

“You don’t have to be, there is no shame in not knowing. I think Jennie had reminded you a few things about me so I assume that you understand better now. I just hope that you won’t think I am too hard to handle.”

 

“Of course you aren’t! I will try my best to follow Jennie’s reminder and to help you. Are you satisfied with my work performance so far, Miss Roseanne?”

 

“You are doing well so far but it is still hard to judge since it is only your first day. Give yourself some time.” She sips some tea before she continues, “And oh, you don’t need to talk formally with me when we are out of the workplace. I read through your profile and realised you are actually older than me.”

 

Apparently, she is talkative too because her answer is never short.

 

“You can just call me Roseanne.” That is another smile from her.

 

“How old are you, Roseanne?”

 

I know this kind of question is sensitive for a lady, but I am just going with the flow since we are talking about the related topic.

 

“I am a 97-liner.” She answers casually.

 

“Seriously? That is a year younger than me! You are already successful at such young age, I am jealous.”

 

“It’s not something to be proud of, really. As long as we work hard on our own to feed ourselves and our family without depending on the others, it’s pretty impressive already.” The way she talks is matured for her age. She is also a humble person.

 

We continue to talk after our food is served, from our hobbies, interests and I share some of my childhood stories with her. It was a nice meal indeed. We didn't even realise about the passing time but I think it is acceptable since I am with my employer anyway.

 

 

The next day

Like what Jennie had told me yesterday, I will have to go to Roseanne’s house first before going to the company with her. Yesterday we had a great time bonding and I think that I am more comfortable to work with her now. She gave me her address before I went home so I that I know where should I go to meet her.

 

Her house is basically what I imagined a rich people’s is: a huge luxurious mansion with beautiful garden and maybe, free of those annoying bugs. When I enter the living room, I saw a lady that looks a little matured which I suppose is her mother sitting on the elegant-looking couch.

 

“Good morning, Madam. You must be Miss Roseanne’s mother. I am her new personal assistant, Daniel Kang. Nice to meet you.” I bow as I greet her.

 

“Good morning to you as well, Mr Daniel. I am her mother indeed and you are free to call me Miss Lynn. Roseanne had told me to expect you here yesterday. Would you like to join us for breakfast? Roseanne always has her breakfast before heading to work.”

 

“Thank you for your offer Miss Lynn, but I just had mine so I think I will just pass.”

 

“Alright then, do you mind to help me calling Roseanne to the dining table? I think she is in her study room right now, it is the third door on the left upstairs.”

 

“Sure, it is nice to meet you and have a nice day, Miss Lynn.”

 

“Have a nice day too, Mr Daniel.” I bow once again before heading to find my employer.

 

I go up to the first floor by the stairs to the room that Miss Lynn mentioned to me earlier. I knock the door a few times before Roseanne cue me to come inside.

 

“Good Morning, Miss Roseanne.”

 

“Daniel? What are you doing here? Oh My God, don’t tell me it is morning already!”

 

“I afraid it really is, Miss Roseanne.”

 

“No, I haven’t slept for the whole night again!” She slams her head to the table, not really hard.

 

“By the way, your mother wants you to be on the dining table to have breakfast.”

 

“I will go down after I finish cleaning up. And oh, you should join us too Daniel. My mother would love it.”

 

“But I already ate my breakfast.” I reasoned.

 

“Wrong answers! See you in the dining hall later.” She goes out from the study room, probably head to her room to get ready.

 

I wait for her to come downstairs in the living room before going to the dining room together.

 

“Are you waiting for me?”

 

“Yes, Miss Roseanne.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you that you can call me Roseanne when we are not in the workplace? Let’s go, we wouldn’t want to let my mother wait for too long. Oh, and please don’t say anything about me not sleeping for the whole night to her.”

 

She gives me a look that resembles begging. I guess it doesn’t ring her bell about who told me to find for her in the study room among the rooms in this mansion, but I totally get her good intention in asking so.

 

Roseanne greets her mother and takes a seat on the dining table. She gestures me to sit beside her.

 

“I am glad that you finally decided to join us, Daniel.”

 

“He refused at first but I insist him to.”

 

“He is probably afraid of you my dear.” Her mother jokes but it doesn’t help much in this already awkward situation.

 

“I am not!” I blurted out.

 

Roseanne lifts her eyebrow and gives me a look. Noticing how weird this is going, I quickly respond with, “I mean, Roseanne treats me really well as an employee and… friend?”

 

Are we considered as friends yet? Judging by Roseanne going back to her usual expression, I think she is fine with that idea.

 

I have to say that this is my first time having breakfast the rich people way. It is not just some plain toasts and coffees, but these things they called as Eggs Benedict and Earl Grey Tea, as what Roseanne tells me. My kind of luxurious breakfast is probably bacon and eggs, but today I have explored more of this world. Maybe I can get used to this.

 

“Roseanne, do you like Daniel? I can see that he is a fine man,” I almost choked when I hear Miss Lynn says that all of a sudden.

 

“Mother! Please don’t ask something like that on the dining table! Look what you made him!” She hands me a napkin and pats my back, “Are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, thanks.” I take the napkin and wipe my mouth with it.

 

“I think I am done with my food. I will head to work now, see you later mother.” Roseanne stands up from her seat and I follow.

 

“See you, my dear and Daniel. Next time, make sure that you come with an empty stomach.”

 

“I will. Thank you for the lovely breakfast and see you next time, Miss Lynn.”

 

 

“I am sorry if what my mother said just now shocked you.”

 

“It’s totally fine, I think Miss Lynn is really friendly.”

 

“She really is, but sometimes she gets too friendly that she tends to say things that are quite unexpected.”

 

Roseanne’s eyes have been struggling to keep opening since we start our car ride a moment ago. She must have felt really exhausted right now because she didn’t get some sleep the night before.

 

“There will still be some time before we reach the company so why don’t you take a nap first? I will wake you up when we are there.”

 

“Okay.”

 

 

After a hectic day of working, I am finally back to my own place. Roseanne says that I do not have to work for the weekend and I am more than happy to hear that. I was about to sleep when my phone suddenly rings. This better be good news only. I look at the caller ID to see an unsaved number.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey, it’s me, Roseanne. I hope I am not disturbing your sleep.”

 

“I almost went to sleep just now. Is there anything?”

 

“I want to ask if you have a passport or not.”

 

“I do, why?”

 

“Good, because we are going to Switzerland for a business trip next morning.”

 

 


#AIIYL200M special update.

Congratulations to the girls and BLINKS!

See you in the next update.

 

*Italic script- Location/time/thought/basically inaudible word