Chapter 2

Love Line

"Let me see that!"

Nayeon tries to grab my paper from my hand.

"No! Why should I?"

"Well if I'm going to sing it I wanna know what the lyrics are!"

"What!? No! Not till I finish the song! I've only written a few lines!"

I run away and attempt to hide in my room.

"Fineeeeee, but you better eat the pizza I bought."

"Whatever!" I pop my head out the door and stick my tongue out and sneak back to the lyrics I wrote down. I lay on my bed staring at the ceiling. I want to see Mina again. I close my eyes and reminisce about what happened today. Am I really falling in love? No way, I just met this girl. But...but there's something about her. I open my eyes and I'm blinded by light.

"Ahhhh! What the...what time is it!?"

"Relaaaaax it's only like 7 am, you shouldn't have another class for 2 hours or something."

I see Nayeon sitting in my chair.

"What are you doing at my desk?"

"Well I came inside to yell at you for falling asleep before eating dinner, which I've never seen you do before, and then I saw this so I decided to read it."

"Saw wha-HEY! I told you it's not ready!"

Nayeon starts laughing as she runs away with my lyrics in her hand.

"What are you so ashamed of!? These are cute lyrics! And not just that, they're good!"

I stop in my tracks and catch my breath.

"Re-really?"

"Yeah! My Jeongyeon is in loooove. With who!? You wanna tell me?"

"What!? I'm not in love! Even if I was I wouldn't tell you!"

"But we're best friends! You can tell me anything! Ah! Unless...Jeongyeon are you in love with me?"

I look at her in complete disgust.

"Please, I didn't eat dinner, I don't want to throw up."

"It's ok Jeongyeon you can admit it, come here cutie."

She runs towards me and tries to kiss my cheek.

"Nayeon! Stoooop, god I hate when you do this! Ahhh!"

"Booo! Whatever then, here's your lyrics back. You seem to be on a good track, keep it up!"

I swiftly grab my paper and run before she tries some sneak attack. I sit at my desk and stuff the paper in a drawer. I look at my phone to check the time. 7:30. Ugh, I want to sleep some more, but I need to get ready for class. I hear a loud roar from my stomach.

Oh that's right...I should probably eat too.

I take a quick shower and get dressed. I eat some of the leftover pizza nayeon left me, after throwing away the pineapple of course. I grab my penny board and head to class. When I finally get there I see Mr Peterson inside.

"Sup Jerry!"

"It's Professor Peterson to you Jeongyeon." He glares, "You're on time to class for once, what's going on?"

"I got some decent sleep, I guess."

"Well let's hope it was decent enough that you'll stay awake today."

"Yeah hopefully." I laugh.

I take out my notebook and pencil and get ready.

Rrrrriiiiiiinng

"And that ends today's lecture."

Damn it, not again.

I grab notebook and look at what was supposed to be notes, instead it looks like I was drawing how to unravel a ball of yarn. I try to sneak away before Mr Peterson tries to call me again.

"Jeongyeon!"

I smile as I slowly turn around, hoping he won't yell at me again.

"Have you been working on your song for the talent contest?"

"I have actually!"

"May I see what you have so far?" He says with intrigue in his eyes.

"Oh I left it in my dorm room, but I've been working on it really!"

"I see, you've at least signed up for the contest correct?"

"I have to sign up?"

He looks at me in shock.

"Jeongyeon did you even read the flyer I handed you the other day?"

I take out the crumpled piece of paper and read what's on it.

"Let's see...sign up for talent show...blah blah...sign up by the 7th at 12pm at the performing arts building. Ok what about it?"

"Jeongyeon, today is the 7th, and it's 11:30."

"WHAT!?"

I run straight for the door and ride my penny board to the performing arts building. It felt like I was going 100 miles an hour.

"Move! Get out the way!" I yell out

I check my phone again and its 11:45.

Ugh! Why did my stupid class have to be on the complete opposite side of campus!?

Soon, I can see the performing arts building coming up and I check my phone again and its 11:50. I run up the stairs and I see a girl walking out of the entrance.

"Hey you! Where do I go to sign up for talent show!?"

"Third floor, now let go of me!" She yells.

I didn't mean to grab her but I was in a hurry.

"Sorry! Thanks!"

I run up the third floor and see people cleaning up the sign up booth.

"Oh no! Please tell me ...I'm not...too late... to sign up!" I yell in bits and pieces trying to catch my breath.

"Yeah, you still can! We were just getting ready to leave a little early, here's the sign up sheet."

This girl passes me this clipboard and sit down in relief as I fill out all the information. I hand her back the clipboard as I stand up.

"Thank you so much, I thought I was doomed."

"No problem! My name is Jihyo Park, I'm in charge of organizing the event this year, if you have any questions feel free to ask me."

"Yes of course, thank you again so much."

She smiles and as she turns around I can hear light footsteps coming in this direction.

"Wait! Please tell me I'm not too late!"

Jihyo turns around and laughs.

"Mina! I would've thought you signed up already!"

Mina? They know each other?

Mina runs right past me and stops right in front of Jihyo. I can smell her perfume as it lingers in the space she passed. Smells like lavender, which I love, and honestly I can't get enough of it.

"I know, but I kept putting it off since I'm here everyday and I didn't realize I hadn't signed up until just now."

"Well don't worry about it you can still sign up. Besides you're not the only one."

Jihyo looks at me and smiles. Suddenly Mina turns around and looks at me too.

Then, I realize I'm still dripping in sweat from the ride here, and I hide behind my penny board and try to walk away.

"Jeongyeon?"

Hearing Mina say my name stops me in my tracks.

"Jeongyeon it's you right? The girl from the other day? You're signing up too? Oh wow!" She says with her gummy smile.

"Yeah, yeah I am haha." I say awkwardly.

I don't wanna be here, I feel so gross. This is so embarrassing.

"What are you going to perform?" Mina asks as she writes down her info on the clipboard.

"I...I'm not really performing, I'm writing a song and my friend is gonna sing it. It's just some dumb thing..."

"Oh I like it! That sounds awesome! What's the song about?"

I can feel my face heat up. I can't possibly say it's about her.

"Umm it's about this girl who fell in love and is trying to express it...I guess."

God she makes me so nervous.

"Oh how cute!"

"What about you? Is this what you were rehearsing your dance for the other day?"

"Yeah it is! Wait, how did you know I was doing a dance?"

Oh no, I obviously can't tell her it's because I was watching her dance without her knowing.

"Well uhh you said you were rehearsing the other day when I saw you, and you were in a dancing outfit and so I kind of just assumed."

Please buy it, please buy it.

"Oh duh! Haha of course." She says with that again adorable gummy smile.

"Oh! Jeongyeon you're sweating a bit."

Oh no, after coming all the way here and seeing Mina I realize I had still been sweating this whole time. I feel so disgusting. How is this even possible?

"Oh boy, I'm sorry, I should g-"

Mina starts wiping my forehead with a handkerchief.

"What were you doing before you got here?"

"I...boarded all the way from the music building to here so...I guess I'm pretty tired...hey Mina! I'll just do that myself, you don't have to do this haha."

I grab the handkerchief and wipe my sweat on my own, Mina suddenly coming in close certainly didn't help.

"Oh sorry, my friend sweats a lot while she plays piano and I do that for her when she's getting in the zone, force of habit I guess."

"Oh I see, don't worry, you just caught me by surprise that's all."

"Mina, I'm still here. And I'm gonna need the clipboard."

"Oh Jihyo! I'm so sorry! Here you go!"

"It's fine, is she your girlfriend or something?" Jihyo laughs, "You two are awfully close."

"Me and Jeongyeon! Oh no, we're just friends we've only just met!"

"Yeah! Yeah...just friends...we met like yesterday." I say hesitantly.

"Yeah ok, good luck to you both on the talent show, make sure you stay friends if one of you wins and not the other."

"Jihyo! Don't be like that!" Mina scolds.

Jihyo laughs and walks away.

"I'm sorry, she's such a tease."

"Oh no it's fine really, that was nothing compared to someone I know." I shiver as I remember this morning.

"Oh Mina, here's your handkerchief."

As I hand it to her I realize this thing is drenched and instantly I take it back.

"I'm so sorry, let me wash this before I give it back."

"Oh umm sure, but how will you get it back to me?"

"Do you have a number? Once I wash it I'll send you a text."

"Oh ok! Sounds good to me. Here you go."

As I'm putting her number in my phone I realize what I'm doing and I try to calm myself down.

"Ok thanks again, I'll let you know when I've washed it."

"Of course! It's a nice handkerchief so don't keep it for yourself now Jeongyeon!" She laughs.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. I wave bye to Mina and board back to my dorm. Finally, I can relax, and I lay on my bed. As I think about what happened just now, I decide to get up, sit at my desk, open the drawer, and grab a pencil.

To be continued...

Your scent, your gestures
Even the way you call my name
You’re like, oh like it
Now please know my heart, my boy oh

neoui hyanggi neoui sonjit
nal bureuneun ne maltu hanakkaji
neoneun machi Oh Like it
ije nae mam arajwo My boy Oh

너의 향기 너의 손짓
날 부르는 니 말투 하나까지
너는 마치 Oh like it
이제 내 맘 알아줘 My boy oh