Twelve and Fourteen

The Years We Knew Each Other

12

14

 

Joohyun stared out the window of the moving car as her mother drove, the young teenager watching as the trees passed by and silently counting them in her head. Her hand idly gripped the hem of her black dress, not looking forward to the place they were going. It was going to be sad and depressing, and that was something she wasn’t looking forward to. It would be as grueling as this car ride - something that was difficult because since she was 12, Joohyun hated being around her mother.

 

She sighed when the car stopped outside of the funeral home and she saw people dressed in black, entering and leaving as they cried loudly and mourned the deceased. She wondered cynically how many of them actually knew Mr. Song enough to display that level of emotion. She stepped out of the van once her mother did and silently followed her inside, her eyes instantly drawn to the large portrait of the man she remembered for having a sweet and gentle face. His now widowed wife sat next to the photo, staring out at nothing as tears stained her cheeks. Joohyun’s mother approached her as the teen stood behind.

 

“Jungeun...”

 

“He was just going to work...” the widow croaked out, “he was going to go to work and come back early to spend time with us. Then a drunk hits him and...and...” Joohyun’s mother sighed softly and bowed twice towards the casket before bowing at the grief-stricken woman. Joohyun slowly approached and did the same, offering quiet condolences before she looked around the room. Minho was nowhere in sight, so when her mother went to speak with the other funeral-goers, she went to find him. She walked towards the back of the funeral home and noticed the door open, the young girl walking through it and seeing Minho crouching by a gate.

 

“Minho?” she called out, slowly making her way over to him. “...I’m sorry for your loss.”

 

Minho scoffed, “Whatever, he’s gone now. I’m a man anyway so it’s whatever, I have to take control of everything - who needs him?” he sneered as he refused to look at her. She frowned slightly and crossed her arms over her chest.

 

“You don’t mean that.”

 

“Yes I ing do!” he snapped, startling her, “He’s dead! He left me alone! So I’m gonna take care of myself!”

 

“You’re not alone, you have your mom and-”

 

“And what, Joohyun?” he asked as he finally looked at her. The girl’s heart dropped when she saw how red his eyes were and the tears that streamed down his cheeks, the boy completely breaking down. “What do I have without my dad here?”

 

Joohyun swallowed the random lump that was in as she watched the boy cry. Sometimes, she forgot he was young and was still just a kid. They were only two years apart, but he was nearing the end of elementary school and she was in the middle of middle school - they were practically worlds apart. She slowly walked over to him and crouched down next to him, hesitantly placing a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Do you remember what you told me when my parents ruined my party? Think about next year. It’s hard, but next year it’ll get better, then the next year even better, and so on and so on. So...think about the next year. And know that...you have me too...” Minho looked up at her for a moment before breaking down into sobs and leaning into her embrace, the older girl happily hugging him tightly.

 

“I’m gonna miss him so much...”

 

“I will too.”


A/N: Comments are deeply appreciated!