Fashion Week: Stalemate

Living the Dream

Maybe Ryeowook had gone too far for the first time. He certainly didn’t think it was going too far given everything else he had ever said to the man. In fact, he wouldn’t have considered this particular rejection any worse than the others.

And yet.

He sneaked another glance at Kyuhyun who was double checking some key talking points for that night’s reception. The day had been long as usual, but Ryeowook had kept himself busy with styling numerous models—all of whom were surprisingly chatty. He had to awkwardly explain his lack of Mandarin Chinese though, when a few spoke a bit too rapidly. The European models were just a lost cause for conversation.

What bothered him though was the lack of a certain someone. He hadn’t noticed in the morning, but that feeling of emptiness had grown more and more until lunchtime came around and he realized Kyuhyun hadn’t spoken a word to him.

In fact, it had been so peacefully Kyuhyun-free that Ryeowook couldn’t believe how quiet and tame Fashion Week could be. He was used to the pressures of show business. That wasn’t usually what got him anxious or tense.

Only Cho Kyuhyun could make him that uneasy.

Ryeowook packed up the last of his supplies, slinging it over one shoulder before pulling out his phone to call up the driver.

“Oh? Are you heading to the reception now?”

He glanced up, seeing another stylist smiling at him. Lowering his phone, he shrugged. “I didn’t think staff were invited. It’s a benefactor reception, right?”

“I heard it was open to everyone,” she frowned, “maybe I got the dates mixed up?” Her gaze wandered around the room, before landing on Kyuhyun who had finished his conversation from earlier. “Kyuhyun! Can you tell me if staff are invited to the dinner tonight?”

His eyes flickered to Ryeowook for only a second, and none of the emotion reflected in that dark gaze spoke of affection. The stylist grimaced. What are we playing at?  

Kyuhyun pondered for a moment, and then said, “I believe it’s optional. The food will be really good though, so I’d recommend popping in, eating, and running.” He smiled playfully, never glancing again in Ryeowook’s direction.

“See that?” the female stylist grinned, clapping her hands. “Let’s go, Ryeowook! What else would you do for dinner?”

“Take out.” He deadpanned, shrugging his bag higher and turning for the door. “Good night.”

It probably made no sense to be upset at Kyuhyun, considering Ryeowook had been the one to invoke this ridiculous silent treatment. However, it certainly felt different to be on the receiving end of it. Sighing, he trudged to the waiting car outside, not bothering to even glance over his shoulder at anyone who might be watching him.

 

“If you’re going to make that face, you might as well ask him to go to the reception.” She cocked a brow at Kyuhyun who looked physically pained by not chasing after Ryeowook.

The man pressed his lips together, brows furrowed. “It’s not like that. We’re both being…petty, I guess,” he muttered. “I don’t know what I was thinking by playing this game since I’m definitely the one who’ll break first.”

She blinked. “Wait, are you guys already dating? All of us talk about it, but I didn’t know we were right.”

He swallowed a heavy sigh. “No. We’re not dating.” I just have the worst crush the world has ever seen.