New School, Cold Eyes

A SuSeob Story

It was finally the start of middle school. When Yoseob arrived, he was too busy trying to find his way around school and adapt to the new curriculum to remember the girl.

A few weeks passed and teachers began handing out the first important assignment. Everyone was assigned a famous dancer/singer/model/musician. There was an excursion included but students were told to research on their famous person beforehand.

Suzy's POV
I searched my bag but I could not find my pencilcase or the  research on my famous person. 'Pabo' My first important assignment and I'm stuffing up already. My friends all had different famous people and surprisingly they didn't bring extra stationery with them so I couldn't borrow anything. I walked around the bus, I hate asking people for help and my cold attitude didn't help either. Maybe that's why no one wanted to lend me anything?

Yoseob's POV
I finished reading about Karen Wang , she's a really famous ballerina apparently. I started telling jokes to GiKwang who sat next to me. He was laughing so hard, then suddenly he stops. "What? My jokes aren't funny anymore?" I ask.  GiKwang swallowed and pointed behind me. I turned and looked into the hardest pair of eyes I've ever seen.
"Do you have a pen I could borrow?" she coldly said.  Her voice, it sounded so familiar. I was trying to remember where I've heard it when she just stomps off, saying "Forget it."
"Hey, I never said I wouldn't give you a pen." I rummaged in my bag and pulled one out and gave it. My hand lingered on hers and that's when I remembered her voice.
"Um...what the..." she pulled her hand away and said thanks. When I turned back, GiKwang was smiling weirdly.
"So Yoseob, do you like her?"
"What? No." I quickly replied.
"Mhmmmm.. Sure." said Doojoon sitting behind me (a new friend I had made)

I know I shouldn't be watching her but I stared as she walked back to her seat.

Suzy's POV
Someone. Was. Watching. Me. I hate that, I turned around and deathglared everyone in vicinity. Then I started work. Urgh, how cone I couldn't remember anything about Karen Wang? She was really awesome when I searched her up!! Now I couldn't remember a thing. I screamed in frustration.

Yoseob POV
I winced as I heard her scream. I think I heard her say Karen Wang. I picked up my research and walked over. She looked up at me with her cold eyes. "D-do you want my research?" I stuttered.
"No." she turned back.
"Why so cold? I'll leave it, use it if you want." I saw her eyes soften. I walked away satisfied.
"Thankyou." I swear it was her soft voice. I wanted to hear it again. I walked back.
"What did you say?" I said eagerly.
"Nothing." she feigned innocence.
I grabbed her shoulders and shook her: "I heard something"
"OOOHH Yoseob ;)" GiKwang was hooting.
"Let go of me." Suzy shook me off and I went back to my seat, disappointed.


At the museum, we did a tour of the famous people exhibition. It was lunch soon after. I saw her sitting at a table eating with her friends. "Hey." she called. I pretended to not hear *use your soft voice, use your soft voice* I willed.
"Hey!" she called, again, coldly."Do you want your research back or what?" she shouted. I turned around and disappointedly snatched it back, giving her a papercut.
"I'm so sorry!" I took her hand and examined it.  "Are you okay?"
"Are you okay?" she asked before taking her  hand back.
"You're more worried than she is." said one of her friends, I remember her name was Fei. "Are you her boyfriend, I've never heard of you, but you never know because Suzy doesn't talk much?"
Suzy choked on her sandwich. I started going red. Then some boy came over to the table to talk to Fei. His name was Patrick. There had been some rumours about them.  "Hey, Fei, what about you and Patrick?" I shouted before walking off. I turned back to see Suzy giving me an approving look and Patrick looking very happy. Fei on the other hand looked like she was going to murder me.

Two weeks passed and nothing much happened between us, then it was time for school camp. On the bus, GiKwang and I sat in the two seats next to Suzy and Jia. We got bored so we decided to ask Suzy and Jia questions. (Too vulgar to be posted.) They looked disgusted but amused.

On the first night of camp, we played commando, where you go and 'rescue' captives. GiKwang, DooJoon and I were a team and I saw that Suzy went with Jia and Min. Everyone had 'lives' in the form of bottlecaps and we had run out. We were on our way back to get more when we met the girls. They had spare lives. Min and Jia seemed reluctant to give one to us but Suzy took one out and gave it to me, it was too dark to see her expression. She dragged Min and Jia away. And I could hear them asking her why she gave the life away.

The next day, I saw her at the cereal area. "Thanks for the life." I said.
"Don't mention it." she said expressionless.
"No, really, thankyou."
"And yeah, really don't mention it. EVER." she looked at me and left.
"Okay..." I sighed. I turned around to see DooJoon standing there and giving me a weird look.
"Don't turn around, but she's looking at you." he said. I looked in the reflective glass and saw that indeed she was looking at me. But she was giving me a if-you-happen-to-tell-ANYONE-that-I-was-a-teensy-bit-nice-I-will-hunt-you-down look.

The next day we were supposed to go canoeing. I say supposed to because when I got to the canoes, I tripped and broke my arm. And even yesterday, the instructors were saying that the biggest danger with canoes was if we flipped, not if we tripped. So I sat out for the entire session and thought about her.

Suzy's POV
I was in rock climbing when Min approached me. "Hey Suzy, guess what? That guy you gave a life to last night tripped on a canoe and broke his arm." Min said.
"Who told you?" I asked.
"Jia... What's wrong? Usually you laugh." Min gave me a weird look.
I did laugh, at least I tried to, but what came out sounded so strained that I couldn't fool Min. "You're worried." she said slowly.
"No I'm not." and I started climbing so Min couldn't say anymore.

Lunch came afterwards and I immediately spotted him sitting a little away from his friends and attempting to eat a hotdog. I bit mine as I watched him drop cheese onto his sling. He struggled  and tried to get it off unsuccessfully. "Hey Fei, do you have tissues?" I asked. She nodded and handed me some. I walked over to Yoseob and helped him clean the cheese off his sling. He thanked me and I made some small talk with him while helping him with his hotdog. DongWoon turned around and saw us, he smirked and exclaimed loudly. "Do you guys like each other?" I jumped but stayed expressionless its my specialty, and luckily, none of my friends heard... I think. Yoseob immediately leapt (with a broken arm? Yeah I know he's crazy)  and started shouting at DongWoon. Meanwhile, I left to go and sit with my friends. And tried to never think about him again.