Chapter 3

The Beat of an Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sunmi was dragged along to a house party by her flatmate Sarah, who was dating Ben at the time, she insisted that it would be a good time, and that Sunmi needed to get out of the flat more. Sarah and Sunmi arrived a little later than everyone else, the party had already started and there were people dancing in the living room. Not as wild as you would have thought a collage party to go, but still enough to build an atmosphere.  A game of Ring of Fire was being played round the kitchen table, a game Sunmi didn't quite understand, a game where there's a massive pitcher in the middle of the table, surrounded by a deck or two of playing cards. The pitcher was already half full with a strange concoction of drinks, ranging from red wine, beer, vodka, cider, and who knows what else. Sunmi stared at it in disgust, with a knowing feeling that whoever loses will have to drink it.

All of a sudden, a heated argument is heard from the other room, Sunmi decides to investigate. In the living room, the exact spot people were dancing just moments before, Jack and some guy were in each others faces, each trying to size the other up. "I don't know who you are, but this is none of your business, so back off!" bellowed the guy, shoving Jack backwards.

"You harrass anyone here, and you make it my business." Jack retorted, fists clenched to the point his knuckles turn white.

The guy smirks, "We were just dancing."

"Didn't look like she was enjoying it." says Jack.

"And what would you know? Orphan." taunts the guy, once again shoving Jack, but this time he was ready. 

Jack pivots on his back foot and redirects the incoming fist away from himself, then shoots an elbow straight into the guy's nose. He stumbles back and Jack rushes him, throwing punches left and right, toppling the guy, pinning him to the ground. Jack wouldn't let up, fists kept hammering down until there was a bloody mess and Ben had to step in. Grabbing Jack by the arms, he hauls him outside to the back garden. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" snapped Ben, trying to calm his friend down.

"He started it, I finished it." replied Jack, surprisingly calm.

Ben sighs, "Don't you think you've taken it too far? Don't you think you're out of control? I know you're going through some stuff, but it's not just affecting you, it's affecting everyone around you. We all care about you, none of us want to see you hurting. Can you understand that?" Without a word Jack turns away from him, tears starting to form in his eyes. He walks over to a bench and sits down, still not responding to Ben. "Look, I'm sorry. But you need to want to change if we're to help." Almost motionless, Jack nods slightly. Ben catches and sighs a b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter