Chapter 1

The Beat of an Angel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jack and Sunmi finally arrive in Seoul, exiting the airport with their luggage, they hail a taxi. Sunmi gives the driver their address, and they sit back and enjoy the scenery. Jack takes out a small notepad from his jacket pocket, and opens it up. Reading intently, he mouths something inaudible, catching Sunmi's attention. "What are you doing?" Sunmi asks curiously.

Without looking up, Jack says, "Nothing, just going over the Korean." He flips through the pages multiple times, before going back to that first page. "Ann. Yeong. Ha. Se. Yo." He enunciates carefully. The driver chuckles softly.

"No, no. You don't need to enunciate that much, you can be lazier with it. Quicker, more abrupt. Annyeonghaseyo." Sunmi corrects.

"Annyeong, haseyo?" Jack tries again.

Sunmi giggles. "All one word, no breaks."

"Annyeong haseyo... Hello." Jack says with confidence.

"Very good!" the driver speaks up.

Jack looks up at him then at Sunmi, confused. "What did he say?"

Sunmi laughs. "He said very good." She then turns to the driver, speaking in Korean. "He's starting to learn, it's cute, right?"

Another chuckle from the driver, as he looks into the rearview mirror. "It's not bad, pronounciation is good!" he says. "Where are you coming back from?"

Jack is in a state of confusion as he tries to begin to comprehend what those two are talking about. Sunmi places a hand on Jack's knee. "Ireland, I was studying university over there." Sunmi answers. "That's where we met."

"What did you study?" the driver asks.

"Music."

"Do you want to be an idol?"

"No, no, songwriting, or composition. I don't think I would want to be an idol. Too much publicity."

Jack's eyes, still darting between the driver and Sunmi, understanding nothing, except he thinks he heard the word 'idol'.

"I think you'd make a great idol. You're very pretty."

Sunmi blushes. "Thank you."

That was thank you, Jack thinks, as he flips through his notepad. He lands on the page he was looking for. "Kam. Sa. Hab. Ni. Da?" he attempts, causing the driver and Sunmi to laugh again.

"Remember what I said?" Sunmi asks him.

Jack thinks for a beat. "Quicker, more abrupt," he says, looking down again at his notepad, "Kamsahabnida."

"Just one little correction, the 'b' in the habnida, is a soft b. So the soft 'b' and 'n' make almost an 'm' sound."

"Thank you"

"See, now you're getting it, you'll be fluent in no time!" Sunmi encourages as she hugs his arm.

Just then the taxi pulls into the parking lot of their apartment building. Sunmi pays their driver and thanks him, while Jack starts unloading the trunk. After unloading, the driver starts driving away, waving at the pair. "Thank you!" Jack says enthusiastically, waving at the driver. The driver throws him a thumbs up and drives off.

Jack takes the luggage and moves them over the building's entrance. "Wouldn't it be funny if the elevator was out of order?" Jack says jokingly.

Sunmi looks at him disapprovingly, "Well, if it is, then you're carrying everything up the 9 flights." She sets down her backpack and hugs Jack, giving him a kiss on the lips. "To a new start."

"To a new start." he replies, pulling her in for another kiss. As they part, Sunmi smiles up at him lovingly, and Jack returns it. "Lets get the stuff inside, shall we?" Sunmi nods, picking up her backpack and grabs her suitcase. Jack picks up a box and stacks it on top of another, heaving them both up, blocking his vision. "Umm...you may need to direct me here..."

Sunmi giggles, and grabs onto Jack's el

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter