Twice the Trouble (1)

Thirty Days is a Lifetime

 

 

Byulyi didn’t seem like the baking type. At least, that was the first thing Yongsun thought when she opened her locker to find a container of chocolate cupcakes on top of her statistics textbook. Raising an eyebrow, she lifted the lid for a closer look. Yongsun also didn’t take Moonbyul as someone that would spell ‘I love U’ in yellow icing either. However, the note taped to the cover stated otherwise.

Unnie, I am serious about my affection towards you. When you see me next time, won’t you please answer me honestly?

Love, Moon Byulyi

“Oh, Yongsun-unnie!” Her eyes widened as she hid the letter against her chest. Turning her head, she saw Byulyi raise her hand in a wave as she walked towards her. Yongsun gulped when she caught the other girl’s smile and remembered what the note asked her.

I'm overreacting, Yongsun told herself. It was a misunderstanding. Byulyi didn’t leave this for her. Byulyi didn’t mean anything when she flirted with her. She was going to prove it.

“What’s with the long face, unnie?” Byulyi asked. She chuckled as she rubbed the back of her neck. “I didn’t even have to remind you how pretty you are to get that reaction this time.”

Yongsun beckoned towards the dessert. “Did you make this?”

Blinking, Byulyi leaned forward to get a peek inside Yongsun’s locker. Yongsun glanced down to stare at the cupcakes rather than the flicker of Byulyi’s eyelashes.

“I’m not good at baking, unnie,” Moonbyul said.

Yongsun hummed, ignoring the churning of her stomach. “I didn’t think so. I figured you were the type to give the one you liked flowers instead.”

Byulyi smiled. “You imagined me giving you flowers?”

Rolling her eyes, Yongsun scoffed. “How cheeky of you.” She took the container of cupcakes and her needed textbook before closing her locker. “Aren’t you supposed to be in class?”

“I was coming back after doing an errand for the teacher,” Byulyi said.

“I see,” Yongsun said. She clutched the lid tighter, as if Byulyi could somehow see through her arm and read what the letter said.

“So,” Byulyi kicked the tiles with the sole of her shoe, “your secret admirer must really like you.”

Yongsun opened , but closed it as she processed the situation. She had a strong hunch on who would leave something like this for her. “Oh, I know who it is. They’re not exactly an admirer either.”

“Huh,” Byulyi breathed. “Well then—” She snatched a cupcake from the container as she walked away. “Your bully is super weird!”

“Wha-hey! That was mine!” Yongsun whined. She frowned as she watched Byulyi take a bite out of the confection, walking backwards to ensure that Yongsun could see.

“Aw, but this is my reward for do a good deed today!” Byulyi laughed.

Yongsun considered talking about how one shouldn’t show kindness and expect stuff in return, but the thought died as Byulyi rounded the corner. She huffed and peered down at the container. The remaining cupcakes spelled out ‘love U’ and Yongsun quickly sealed the plastic with the lid before a blush could rise in her cheeks.

_________________________________

When the bell rang, Yongsun hurried down the hall as she avoided other students rushing to buy lunch. She slid the door open, looking around until she saw the pair she was searching for in the back of the classroom. Wheein was animatedly talking about something while Hyejin sat atop of the former’s desk, laughing when Wheein made a gesture to signify choking.

“Unnie’s here!” Wheein released the grip on her neck to wave at Yongsun. She gasped when Yongsun approached her with the container. “Why are you holding a bunch of delicious desserts, unnie? Don’t tell me Byul-unnie finally—”

“Wheein, I know you’re responsible for this,” Yongsun interrupted as she set the cupcakes on Hyejin’s lap.

“What?” Wheein asked. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Yongsun set her hands on her hips, waiting. Wheein sighed. “Dang it.”

“I told you it wouldn’t work,” Hyejin said as took a bite out of one of the desserts. “We’re the only ones that know Yongsun-unnie’s locker combination.”

Wheein slumped against her seat. “I was hoping she would assume that Byul-unnie asked one of us for it.”

“I would be upset if you gave away the numbers that easily,” Yongsun lamented. “So where did you get the cupcakes from? Did you bake it yourself?”

“I actually asked Seungwan to help me.”

“What?!” Yongsun yelled. She covered her face with one hand when the other underclassmen inside stared at her in confusion.

She leaned forward until she was in Wheein’s earshot. “You didn’t tell her why, did you?”

“Nope.” Wheein grinned. “I told her that I needed it for a friend of mine and I would pay her back.”

“Oh,” Yongsun sighed in relief. “That’s good.”

“I don’t see why you’re hiding it,” Hyejin said. “Practically everybody knows.”

Yongsun turned her head towards Hyejin. “Hiding what?”

Hyejin bit into her cupcake again, but Yongsun knew it was to hide her smirk. “I think you know.”

Shoulders slumping, Yongsun didn’t bother to continue the conversation. She didn’t want to think about everyone, especially Byulyi, knowing. “Anyway, Wheein,” Yongsun said. “Can you please stop trying to set me up with Byul? Or at least don’t bring other people into it.”

Wheein pouted as she helped herself to the cupcake that said ‘love.’ “I just wanted to help. I really see the chemistry between you two.”

“That’s sweet of you to think, but—” Yongsun halted as she glanced between Wheein and Hyejin. “Hey, leave one for me! I didn’t even get to have one yet.”

Wheein stretched out her hand to offer some of ‘hers,’ but Hyejin swiped the cupcake from her and finished it in one bite.

“What?” Wheein gawked. “No fair Hyejin, you already have one!”

Hyejin mustered out an apology, hurriedly chewing while covering with one hand. Wheein began to chase Hyejin, demanding that she give the rest of her own cupcake because it was only fair, and Yongsun peered at the letter attached to the lid. She really should thrash the fake love confession before anyone sees it. Yongsun didn’t know why she kept it around for so long to begin with.

_________________________________

Wheein wasn’t inside the classroom like they planned. Yongsun knitted her eyebrows as she looked down at her old calculus notes. It wasn’t like Wheein to cancel plans without saying beforehand. Maybe she was busy with something.

Knowing her, Yongsun knew that a good place to find Wheein—besides somewhere near Hyejin—was the music room. Therefore with hurry in her steps, Yongsun descended the stairs to reach the first floor. She smiled when she reached the door that possibly led to where Wheein was, but stopped herself from turning the doorknob when she heard the sound of Hyejin’s laughter.

“You’re ridiculous, Wheein,” Hyejin said. Through the window on the door, Yongsun could make out the sight of Hyejin sitting next to Wheein on the piano stool. Yongsun made sure to make sure she wasn’t seen, waiting for their conversation to end before entering.

“No, I’m serious,” Wheein insisted. “We could lie about Byul-unnie dating someone! That way, Yongsun-unnie will no longer be able to hide her desires. She will confess her feelings thinking she has no chance, but tada! Byul-unnie reveals she loves her back and they become the mushiest couple at school.”

“But what if Yongsun-unnie gets in a fight with Byul-unnie’s so called girlfriend or avoid Byul-unnie all together?” Hyejin pointed out.

“What?” Wheein asked in a high-pitched tone. “She would never lay a finger on Seulgi-unnie.”

“So you already decided that Seulgi would be Byul-unnie’s girlfriend,” Hyejin said.

“It just makes the most sense to me.” Wheein rubbed her chin as if she had a beard. “You’re right about that last part though. Yongsun-unnie is the type to avoid the one she likes.”

Yongsun’s jaw slacked. Now that wasn’t very nice. Before she could decide whether to stay put or give them a piece of their mind however, Wheein coughed into the palm of her hand.

“Hyejin, can I ask you a question?” Wheein asked.

Letting out a hum, Hyejin nodded. “Shoot.”

Yongsun watched Wheein look at Hyejin up and down, then smiled. The sight was familiar, but she couldn’t place where her deja vu originated.

“I heard someone confessed to you yesterday,” Wheein admitted.

Hyejin let out a laugh, but it didn’t sound genuine. “If you could call it that. It was only one of those really vain guys thinking they can get lucky.”

“Ugh, gross,” Wheein gagged. “You should tell me or Yongsun-unnie if a guy like that tries to bother you.”

“Don’t worry I will,” Hyejin promised. “Besides, I don’t think that guy will try to get with me again after what I told him.”

“What did you say?” Wheein asked.

This time Hyejin’s laugh was authentic. “I’ll text you what I said when I get home. I have a feeling that I’ll get in serious trouble if someone heard me repeat it.”

Yongsun widened her eyes when Wheein ran a hand through her hair. She looked nervous. “Yeah, I’ll bet.”

There was a beat of silence. “Is that all you wanted to ask me?” Hyejin asked.

Wheein blinked at her. “H-huh?”

“C’mon Wheein, I’ve known you for years,” Hyejin said. “If you want to meet me in a quiet place, it’s because you don’t want anything or anyone to interrupt what you want to say.”

“Oh,” Wheein breathed. “I guess you’re right.”

“So?” Hyejin rested her head on Wheein’s shoulder. “What did you want to tell me?”

Wheein looked down, as if in thought. “Nothing,” she said. “I just felt like we haven’t hung out when it was only us for a while.”

Oh, Yongsun thought to herself. Oh Wheein.

“Well, we’re going to have to change that then,” Hyejin urged. “Want to come over my place this weekend?”

“Yeah,” Wheein said. “I’d love that.”

Half an hour later, Wheein slid open the door so they could go home before their parents worried. There was nobody in sight.

_________________________________

“Unnie, I am so sorry!” Wheein’s voice came out loud and clear over the phone. “I forgot to tell you that I was busy with something for my choir, it won’t happen again.”

Yongsun glanced down at her math notes. “It’s fine, Wheein. I can always lend them to you tomorrow.”

“You’re the best, unnie! I’ll make it up to you, I promise,” Wheein said.

Yongsun chuckled. “You can make it up to me by acing your next calculus test.” She paused. “Hey, Wheein?”

“Hmm?” Yongsun was able to hear the faint sounds of paper fluttering. Wheein was either doing her homework or finding a fresh page to draw in.

“How long have you known Hyejin?” Yongsun asked.

The sound of fluttering stopped and Yongsun was met with silence on the other line.

“Ever since middle school,” Wheein finally said. “Why?”

“I was just wondering,” Yongsun said. “Anyway, I have to go now. Remember to study!” She hung up before Wheein could ask anything else.

Well, that settled it then.