Dancing With the Devil or is it Flirting

Dancing With the Devil or is it Flirting

“Would you grace this lowly king with your lovely presence?” King Jeonghan bowed, lower than he should’ve to Joshua. He was only a prince after all.

Biting back a grin, Joshua placed his hand in Jeonghan’s. “Of course,” he replied, “saying no to a king isn’t very wise.”

He rose from his bow. “And one can’t possibly order around such a lovely person as yourself.” King Jeonghan smiled, his smile edging into the territory of flirtatious.

Joshua’s eyes twinkled at him, the corner of his lips rising. “There’s that infamous silver tongue of yours your highness.” He let the king whirl him in a half circle before he brought Joshua flush against him.

“Is it working my dear prince?” Jeonghan leaned in, his lips nearly touching Joshua’s, closer than propriety would allow, but neither of them cared.

Smiling, Joshua pulled himself back, putting space in between them. But he still danced through the steps with Jeonghan. “And what does my presence here tell you?”

“You can’t afford to snub me since I’m your superior. I have a crown and my own lands while you’re still only a prince. It wouldn’t do to alienate an ally.” He grinned at Joshua, holding onto his hips. “Also, that you’re playing hard to get by answering my questions with one of your own.”

“I would never dare to,” Joshua said, lowering his gaze to look a bit chastised, even if his body threatened to rebel and burst out laughing at this little game they were playing.  

Jeonghan tsked. “Now now. Don’t turn those pretty eyes away from me.” Jeonghan’s own eyes turned a bit predatory as he lifted Joshua’s chin upwards to have his eyes fall on him. “I want to be the only person you turn your gaze too.”

All around them, the music continued, the other guests dancing or chattering away. If Joshua cared he’d pay more attention to the disapproving gazes of his parents or the narrowed ones of other nobles who wanted to be on King Jeonghan’s arm for the night. But he didn’t. Not when Jeonghan’s eyes were on him.

“What of yours,” Joshua questioned, giving Jeonghan his own little smirk.

“They’re always on you.”

The lights bounced off the dark black of Jeonghan’s hair, making Joshua want to bury his hands in them, run his fingers through it, petting Jeonghan, or pulling him close in a kiss. That wasn’t happening though.

“May I cut in?”

Joshua nearly turned to nicely growl at the interloper; the surprise nearly had him stepping on Jeonghan’s foot though. It was for him. Stupid Wonwoo and his stupid parents.

Jeonghan pulled his teeth back in a mock smile, making sure to show off lots of teeth. “I can’t have you taking away my lovely prince away from me Duke Jeon.” He relaxed it a bit. “We weren’t done with our dance yet.”

Wonwoo gave him a wane smile, his poker face firmly on. “I have important business to discuss with my prince. After all he is the Prince of Solaria not a citizen of Lunorium.”

Jeonghan hated having to concede but best not to antagonize Joshua’s family any longer. Turning back to Joshua, he smiled softly. “I hope you’ll save me another dance later on.”

Trailing his hand down Jeonghan’s shoulder as he pulled away from him, Joshua gave him that demure smile that had people dropping to their knees like flies. “Of course. My dance card is always free for you.”

Jeonghan bowed once more before turning to leave, no doubt to get a similar dressing down to the one Joshua had coming.

Wonwoo took his hands and immediately drew them into the next steps of the dance. He frowned. “You’re flirting with the devil Joshua.”

“The devil flirts back,” Joshua quipped, making sure to actually step on Wonwoo’s foot. A bit childish but sue him, he was having a great time with the king and was interrupted. “And he’s a wonderful dancer.”

“Clearly,” Wonwoo said, eyes rolling. “His hands were all over you. You two were getting rather cozy with each other.”

Joshua ignored the implications Wonwoo dropped. “I was just being friendly with one of our allies. Nothing wrong with strengthening relations. It’s my duty,” he said blithely. He smiled as he whirled and saw Jeonghan looking him.

Strengthening relations. Sure,” Wonwoo drawled, not believing Joshua for even a second. “If you call letting the King of Lunorium almost kiss you on the dance floor ‘strengthening’ relations.”

“I’m waiting for that proposal of marriage.” Joshua once again ignored the burning gaze his friend was giving him.

“Your parents would never accept it.” Wonwoo was trying to reason with Joshua but it wasn’t going to work.

“I can always ruin myself with him,” Joshua whispered. “You know I can and will if I want to.” Woe to those who tried to trap Joshua away in a tower like he was princess that was cursed or needed saving.

“And he’d take you after he ruined you? You’ve too much faith in him.”

Whirling about one more time, Joshua grinned as he saw Jeonghan’s wink at him. “The devil isn’t as bad as everyone says he is.”


“There you are,” he said.

He let himself be kissed, softly as he felt familiar hands on him. Kissing back, Joshua held on before lips left his. He whined.

Chuckling, Jeonghan gently swiped at Joshua’s lips. “More later. I promise. How was getting away?”

“Easy,” he said, clinging onto Jeonghan’s shoulders. He missed touching him, kissing him, just being so near him. “How is that marriage proposal going?”

“I’m getting the final piece of the offer in soon. Your parents will have no choice but to agree.” He thumbed Joshua’s cheek. “You’ll be mine.”

Bussing him on the nose, Joshua nodded. “Then I’ll have the devil king who everyone tells me to stay away from.”

Jeonghan snorted. “Only your parents and your advisors. You’re hardly a saint yourself.”

He batted his lashes at Jeonghan, “That’s not what everyone says,” he teased. “I’m the angel who’s getting seduced by the devil.”

“You’re the one who seduced me,” Jeonghan said, shaking his head.

“But the devil didn’t say no.” Joshua bit his lip, eyes twinkling in mirth. “You said yes and yes and kissed me and promised me the world and your heart.” He leaned in to kiss Jeonghan again, “Now I’m waiting for my ring.”

“The alluring prince of Solaria will be mine.” Lifting Joshua’s hand, he kissed the ring finger in promise. “Just a bit more and I’ll approach your parents with an offer they can’t refuse.”

Fingers curling into Jeonghan’s coat, Joshua nodded. “Love you,” he said quietly, pressing his forehead against Jeonghan’s.

“And I love you.”