Pumpkin Pie

Pumpkin Pie- A Halloween Short Story

 

Holidays in some countries meant time with friends and family, shopping, eating, and just enjoying being together. The same is true in Korea, but not for a certain group of people: idols. Members of idol groups are most busy around holiday periods, giving special themed performances and shooting for special television show episodes. While Christmas and New Years’ were the worst because of the awards shows which required remixed music and new dance breaks, Halloween still brought on a bit of extra work. That is why the seven members of BTS found themselves sitting in a makeup room behind the stage of a concert hall preparing for a special costumed fan meeting. Sure, they had shot a special dance practice video for online fans, but the boss decided to throw a special event for Korean fans to show a bit more appreciation for the local support, and what the boss wants, the boss gets.

Hoseok and Namjoon were reclining in their chairs trying to get a bit of extra shut eye before going on stage. Yoongi had forgone the chair entirely and was sprawled out on the floor sleeping deeply. Jimin and Taehyung were entertaining themselves on their phones, texting friends who they hoped to meet up with before the night was over. The oldest and the youngest of the group, Jin and Jungkook, were chatting on the couch while finishing up the remains of their late lunch. It was unusual for there not to be staff fluttering around the space and the boys ensuring that everything was ready for the show, but some issue with the stage lights flickering and the costumes getting wet cleared the room of everyone but the group members.

“Oppas!”

The cry of a high, and rather shrill, voice from under the makeup table startled the young men into action. All heads turned toward the table in what should have been a female free room. Namjoon pushed his chair back from the table, but due to his clumsiness tipped over into Yoongi’s lap. Hoseok was more successful in escaping the vicinity of the table without injury but ended up falling out of his chair anyway when he saw a little girl crawl out from under the table.

“I am so excited to meet you all! BTS oppas are my favorite oppas of them all. I know all of your names…” The little girl kept rambling on in somewhat broken Korean as she stood up brushing off her witch’s costume and straightened her pointy hat.

The members were not sure what to say or do since the girl was way too young to be a crazy fan, only appearing to be five or six, and yet she had clearly stowed away- well, somewhere- to get into their dressing room. Given his love of small children, Taehyung was the first to get his composure back, “Hi sweetie. Thanks for being our fan. Did you get lost or something? We need to get you back to your mom so you can see the show.”

The members were grateful that Taehyung had the ability to think fast on his feet, trying to not only crush the girl, but also get her out of the dressing room. Jimin approached the girl stretching out his hand adding on, “Yeah, let Jimin oppa take you to a nice staff unnie who can help you find your mom.”

The little girl’s eyes opened wide seeing Jimin approaching, continuing to widen as she listened to him speak. With a quick squeak, she turned around to hide behind Hoseok’s chair, spinning his around in the process.

“No!” came a shout from the arm of the couch that Jungkook and Jin were sitting on. A little head with a pointy hat popped up over the edge. Jin practically jumped into Jungkook’s lap with how startled he was. “I want to spend time with my oppas. I watch all your shows online and I came all the way here just to see you...”

The little girl continued to talk, but was interrupted when she heard a mumble from Yoongi, “I am not still dreaming right?”

“Of course not oppa!” squealed the little voice, “I am really here, just to see you.”

“If you are dreaming, then all of us are,” Jungkook replied. His eyes, like his group members, were flickering back and forth from the makeup table, on the left side of the room, to the little girl climbing onto the couch, on the right side of the room. Their minds could not wrap around the fact that this girl had somehow moved from one to the other so quickly and without being seen.

“Uhm… little girl, what is your name?” Namjoon tried speaking up.

“The better question is how did you seemingly teleport…” mumbled Jin.

The girl hopped over to his side, “My name is Evanora, but you can call me Evie, Mr. Leader-nim. I am a very big fan. Can you perhaps solve a math problem for me?”

“Yeah, sure. I guess.”

“What do you get if you divide the circumference of a Jack-o-lantern by it’s diameter?”

Namjoon actually looked a bit confused at this, mouthing to himself trying to solve the problem.

“Hyung, this is not even that hard,” Jungkook giggled from the couch.

“Yeah, Joonie. You should be able to get this.” Hoseok joined in.

While everyone else seemed to have lost sight of the odd scenario, Jin didn’t and uttered in a suitably frustrated tone, “Pumpkin pi. You get pumpkin pi.”

While Namjoon was still trying to catch onto the riddle, Evie skipped back over towards Jin,- “Here you go. One pumpkin pie! I should have known you would know the food riddle.”- and handed him a warm pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream on top. As he stared at it, he saw the cream begin to melt and dropped the pie to the ground in his surprise.

“Hyung, you ruined the pie.” Taehyung whined.

“But where did it even come from…” Yoongi mumbled staring hard at the little girl.

Evie began to whine too. “Hey, that was just made! Miss. Cassie made it for the party tonight, but I wanted to share it with you all. Miss Cassie will be so…” she cut herself off with hands over and eyes wide staring at the opening door across the room.

A young woman in her early-twenties stepped through. While Evie was clearly at least part Korean, this new girl appeared completely western, complete with blonde hair and blue eyes. She stepped quickly across the room and knelt down in front of Evie talking to her in a quick scolding tone, but definitely not in Korean. Namjoon thought it may have been French.

“But Miss. Cassie,” Evie’s whining voice picked up again as the boys simply sat in silence staring at the two females, “They are only doing this fan meeting once and I just had to come.”

At this, the blonde- called Miss. Cassie apparently- looked up and met eyes with the boys sitting around the room. They heard her whisper, “Oh right, Korean,” before addressing the boys fluently in their own language. “Sorry to intrude. I am Evie’s au pair and she got out while I was baking a pie. She is quite the little troublemaker. I will just take her and go.”

Miss Cassie took Evie’s hand and, quite literally, pulled the complaining littler girl toward the door she had entered the room from. She stopped at the threshold and spun her charge around. “What do you say to the nice boyband who let you see them in person, Evie?”

“Uhm… Thank you very much for your time and I hope to see you again one day.” The little girl gave a clearly rehearsed response in the tone of any reprimanded young child.

“Good girl, Evie. Be good for the rest of the day and I might not tell your parents about this.” Cassie then shifted her attention back to the boys who had stayed silent since her arrival, “Thanks for letting Evie see you for a little bit. I will be sure that she does not intrude again. Her parents will prevent her from making such long trips by herself, so I am sure this will not happen again.” With a bow- which was a bit forced on Evie’s part- the girls stepped through the door and pulled it shut behind them.

“Well, that was weird,” Taehyung broke the silence.

Jimin voiced a concern, “Do you think we should let security know that people can get in?”

Yoongi however had a larger concern, “Guys, do none of you realize that they just left through the bathroom door!”

 

-----

 

The fan meeting went without any additional problems, once the group’s managers got over the fact that the boys came stumbling out of the dressing room ten minutes before the start refusing the use the space until someone from security went and checked the bathroom. The boys got home and collapsed on the various surfaces in their dorm living room as the managers brought in the various boxes and bags of fan gifts from the event. Normally, they would go through the gifts at the company’s main office, but the managers thought it was better to get the boys home and out of the public’s eye given how paranoid they had all been acting that afternoon. Jimin had even canceled his plans to go out with his friends that evening preferring to stay in the relative safety of his group’s dorm.

“Okay boys,” The manager said, “that is the last of the gifts. Try to get some sleep tonight and get over whatever funk you have worked yourselves into.”

The front door shut and Hoseok sprang up to slam home the deadbolt before dropping on the floor with a sigh.

“I am not the only one still freaked out by those girls, right?” Jin said to no one in particular.

From next to him on the couch, Yoongi whispered, “I am still not convinced all of this is not a dream and I am sleeping in the dressing room still.”

“How is this a dream is all of us have it?” Namjoon replied.

“Ouch!”

“Well, hyung, since that hurt, you can’t be dreaming right?” The youngest questioned mischievously after tossing a throw pillow across the room.

“On a more serious note,” Jimin pulled attention back to the issue at hand, “where did they even come from?”

A knocking at the door made all the boys jump a little, but Hoseok jumped all the way up with a call of “Coming.”

Pulling open the door, he nearly fell backwards. The members all sprung to their feet in reaction to Hoseok’s movement with cries of “What is it?” They gathered around the doorway to see a box and a card on the ground. The card read:

“Sorry again for the trouble. Halloween makes keeping track of Evie a bit more difficult with all the interfering spirits about. Powers can get a bit out of control today for little witches so I am happy she didn’t really cause you any harm. Since she told me the last one got ruined, so I made you a replacement pumpkin pie. Enjoy!

Happy Halloween, Cassandra”

The boys stood still and stared down at the box where the pie was slightly fogging the plastic from it’s warmth.

The silence was broken by a cry of “What is it with bathroom!?!”

 

 

 

_____

Thanks for reading! This is an unedited "quick write", so please forgive typos and poor grammar. As I said in the foreword, I am just trying to get back in the habit or writing on a regular schedule.

As always though, comments are appreciated.

<3 Sisi