Introductions

Love & Basketball

 

Introductions; Chapter I

 


 

Ahn Hyejin started playing basketball when she was 5 years old. Her father had decided to purchase a soccer ball for her 5th birthday so that she could run around their backyard with it. Unfortunately for him, and fortunately for Hyejin, the cashier passed his item down to the bagger while he was still bagging the previous customer’s item.

So when Hyejin opened her gift, she was surprised to see the big orange ball inside the box. She was used to watching soccer with her dad but this bouncy basketball seemed like fun. Next thing her parents knew, she was bouncing the ball all over the house.

She loved it so much she started sleeping with it on one arm and her lion on the other. Hyejin forgot about soccer and would watch NBA games on cable TV when she had the chance. Michael Jordan became her idol and she wanted to be as good as he was.

For her 6th birthday, her dad gave her the Space Jam movie and she watched it until the VHS tape got caught inside the VCR and it caught fire.

She played basketball in the park, on the street, at school during recess, and she was better than all the boys and girls who challenged her. She mastered dribbling first like doing a crossover or dribbling in between her legs.

She was excellent at shooting too. 3 pointers, free throws, lay ups, bank shots, etc. You name it, she had it down.

When Hyejin finally made it to middle school she was excited to try out for the girl’s basketball team. It was the only thing on her mind as she walked into school with her basketball under one arm and her Space Jam backpack on her back.

Basketball was suddenly in the back of her mind when she laid eyes on the prettiest girl she had ever seen. The girl pushed her hair back as she walked into the classroom and introduced herself.

“Hello, I’m Jung Wheein.” She winked and strutted down to her desk which was right in front of Hyejin.

There is an angel in front of me. I’m in love!

Hyejin sat behind Wheein all day sighing and sending heart eyes to the back of Wheein’s head. It wasn’t until school ended that Hyejin got up and stopped Wheein from leaving.

“Wheein-ah!” Hyejin shouted out and slammed her hand on the smaller girl’s desk. “Let’s be friends! I’ve fallen for you~”

Wheein was taken back for a second but then she smiled. She really liked this girl’s confidence and bluntness. She covered and giggled.

“What’s your name?” Wheein asked her and Hyejin blinked.

“Um...Hyejin.” She replied and grinned.

“Okay Hyejinie, let’s go on our date then!” Wheein stood up and grabbed Hyejin’s hand to lead her out of the classroom.

“Date?!” Hyejin gasped. Wheein turned around to face her and grinned.

“You said you fell for me right? That’s a love confession and I expect a wonderful date.”

“I did, but I’m trying out for the basketball team in a few minutes.” Hyejin found herself in a dilemma with having to choose Wheein or her chance at the basketball try outs.

Just what would Hyejin choose? This wasn’t going to be easy.