First guests

First Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Jennie and Chaeyoung welcomed Jihyo, Tzuyu, and Dahyun in the lobby of Fire Lodge, it was more like a group of friends getting back together than a business owner welcoming customers, because in a lot of ways that’s what it was.

“It’s so good to see you again!” said Jennie.  “But where’s Chaeyoung?”  She looked around for the expected fourth guest.  

Jihyo got panicked look on her face, miming for Jennie not to bring up that topic and mouthing “Later.”

“She decided other things were more important than this trip,” Dahyun said, “and I’m better off without her anyway.”  Dahyun and Chaeyoung had an on again/off again relationship.  When they were together, you’ve never seen a more loving couple.  And then they were apart, they could barely stand to be in the same room.  Jennie made a mental note to call Chaeyoung and see if she wanted to reschedule for another weekend, hoping and praying she wouldn’t want a refund.

“I see some new faces here,” Tzuyu said.

Jennie startled, “Oh, yes.  Sorry.  This is Jisoo, Park Chaeyoung’s new assistant.  And this is Lisa, my assistant manager in training.”  Greetings were exchanged and soon Lisa and Jisoo were as much a part of the conversation as if they’d been around for years.

Jennie mentally ran through the preparations she’d made for the weekend’s guests.  She knew what Jihyo and Tzuyu would want:  Skiing from dawn to dusk, then dinner, then to retreat to their room for a night of romantic escapades - Jennie had deliberately put them at the far end of the hall, so they didn’t have to worry about disturbing anyone else.  But she didn’t know about Dahyun.  Usually Dayhun and Chaeyoung would keep each other entertained, but by herself, Jennie was afraid she’d either be a third wheel to Jihyo and Tzuyu or else she’d just hang around the lodge being bored.  Jennie had to arrange something better than that for her.

As soon as she got a chance, Jennie drew Dahyun off into a side conversation.  “So…” she began, “obviously your plans for the weekend are going to be a little different from last time you were here.  Is there anything you want me to arrange for you?”

“I never had a chance of learn snowshoeing before, because some people didn’t want to.  I think I’d like to give that a shot.  Can you recommend someone in the Valley who could give me the basic lessons and then guide me on a hike?”

“Someone in the Valley?”  Jennie laughed.  “I can do better than that - I’ve got someone on staff who can do that for you, so long as you don’t mind that she’s still learning Korean.”  As soon as Dahyun nodded her agreement to this, Jennie called Lisa over.  “Lisa, how’d you like to go snowshoeing on company time?”

Lisa nodded.  “Sure, what’s going on?”

Jennie instantly switched to manager mode and started firing off instructions.  “You’ll be giving Dahyun basic snowshoeing lessons and then guiding her on a hike.  Make sure her snowshoes fit properly and the bindings are on right.  Take the route you took Tuesday, but be mindful of cross trails in case you need to cut the hike short to have her back in time for dinner.”  Jennie switched her attention from Lisa to the other side of the room.  “Jisoo!  I need two box lunches with hot coffee packed for hiking.”

----------------------

Jisoo was about to say yes and get to work when she heard Chaeyoung pop up from an animated conversation with Tzuyu and call back.  “No way, boss-lady!  You don’t order my people around!  You order me around and then I order my people around.  If you want me to be your executive chef, you’ve got to treat me like it.  For all you know, I could need Jisoo to spend all afternoon browning celery for tonight’s dinner.”  Chaeyoung winked at Jisoo, who smiled and blushed at the private joke.

Jisoo heard Jennie make an aside to Dahyun “You see what I have to put up with?” before she called back “Fine!  Chaeyoung.  I need two box lunches with hot coffee packed for hiking!”

Chaeyoung playfully saluted.  “You got it, boss-lady!”  She then walked over to Jisoo and gave her instructions.  “Fried egg and avocado sandwiches, packed to be assembled right before eating.  Hummus and pretzels for a side.  Two thermoses each, one of coffee and one of hot cocoa.  Backpacks and lunchboxes are in the same cabinet as the shopping bags.  Now go for it - make me proud!”

Jisoo nodded, mentally ran through the instructions to make sure she didn’t have any questions, and said “Coming right up” before turning and heading for the kitchen.

After starting the coffee machine and putting milk on to boil for the cocoa, as she heated skillets for the eggs and began peeling and slicing an avocado, Jisoo began thinking about Chaeyoung.  Apparently the other morning’s bad mood was just an isolated event and Lisa was right that it had nothing to do with Jisoo.  Except for that one morning, she’d been friendly and joking with Jisoo, making their work fun.  In fact, she’d almost begun to hope…

“No!” the interjection was punctuated by a clang as she threw the avocado pit, which hit the side of the organics bin and bounced in.  Jisoo scolded herself as she put bread on to toast and cracked eggs into the skillets.  “Chaeyoung is your boss.  She’s friendly and funny, but she’s also beautiful and accomplished and totally out of your league.  This is real life, not a light novel, so get your head out of the clouds and STOP BURNING THE EGGS!”

Jisoo dumped the rapidly blackening eggs into the organics bin, wiped out the skillets, and started over.  She had just cracked the eggs into the skillets and salted and peppered them when she heard someone walk into the kitchen behind her.

“Hey!”  It was Chaeyoung!  “I heard you talking to yourself as I came down the stairs.  Is everything okay?”

Oh no!  Chaeyoung had heard her!  How much had she heard?  “Ummm…. Yeah.  Everything’s fine.  I’m almost done!”  The need to say any more was eliminated by the coffee machine and the toaster going off at once.  As Jisoo finished the eggs, Chaeyoung poured the coffee into thermoses and started grating chocolate into the milk, which had just come to a boil.  As always, watching Chaeyoung cook was a treat for Jisoo:  She was so at ease with the mechanics of cooking that it was almost as if she was dancing with the food.

As they worked together to put the finishing touches on the lunches and pack them into backpacks, Chaeyoung said “Good job.  Now take these out to Lisa - if she’s not still in the equipment room  she should be in the back meadow - and then you can take a break until 11, when you need to be down here ready to warm up soup if Jihyo and Tzuyu remember come off the mountain for lunch.”

“What about

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter