blame the butterflies

if home is where the heart is
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Jihoon? Jihoon! Are you awake?"

Blinking away the exhaustion in his eyes, the boy in question manages a weak groan at the noise. He feels someone shaking his shoulders before a pair of arms are wrapped around his waist, lifting him up from the sticky ground. Eyes still refusing to open fully, Jihoon attempts to move his arms in order to assist his helper but almost falls over again. He grunts in frustration.

"Easy does it, Jihoonie. We need to get you home."

He recognises the voice. So it's Soonyoung who's his saviour. Awfully appropriate considering this whole situation is partly his fault. Or maybe Jihoon is just desperate to find someone to be angry at besides him. He doesn't know anymore.

Soonyoung secures his grip around his waist and hauls him upright, struggling a little with the shorter boy's weight. Jihoon would honestly try and help him out, but he's too worn out, hungry, and currently has banana milkshake stuck in his hair and dripping down his neck. For now, he'll let Soonyoung do the work.

The five of them- soon to be the four of them, if Seokmin keeps singing trot songs in between bites of food- are at the cafe on campus when Junhui stops by their table, a disgruntled Minghao in tow. They pull up another chair when Chan- who is in the basketball team with them as well as Soonyoung- naturally comes into sight as soon as they do. The minute everyone is seated the four of them begin conspiring in Chinese, as usual. Chan and Soonyoung had ended up learning it over the years spent practicing and hanging out with the two former boys. 

They huddle together like their lives depend on it, whispering excitedly and occasionally sneaking glances at Jihoon. Or at least Soonyoung is doing most of the glancing. Jihoon merely raises an eyebrow. He really doesn't want to know. 

So when Soonyoung whips around from the secret circle and wraps an arm around Jihoon's shoulder, he rolls his eyes and focuses on typing up the report he's due in on his laptop. Maybe he can try tuning the boy out.

"So Jihoonie-"

"No."

"Wait, you didn't even-"

"No."

"Hey that's not fa-"

"I said no. Whatever it is, I want no part in it." Soonyoung almost pouted, but quickly recovered, knowing it would get him nowhere.

"Listen, I swear it's nothing bad. It's Mingyu's birthday so the team are having a party this weekend-"

Jihoon frowns, ready to shut him down right there and then but Soonyoung somehow manages to talk right through him.

"-and everyone is allowed to bring guests so I decided to bring you and the rest of these losers!" He cheerfully gestures to a mildly offended Seungkwan, Hansol and Seokmin. The latter is far too engrossed in serenading his pastry to notice.

"Come on, it'll be fun. Last chance of slacking off till exam season, right Jihoonie?"

His frown only deepens.

"When you say everyone, you mean all the guys in the basketball team don't you?"

Soonyoung's grin falters. "Well, yes, but-"

"So that means the captain will be there?" Jihoon narrows his eyes at a guilty looking Soonyoung.

"I'm not going to suffer through your feeble attempt to set me up with Choi Seungcheol, Soonyoung. Count me out."

"But Jihoon! I wasn't going to-"

"I'm not saying it again."

Cue complaints about how boring he is and never has any fun. Jihoon has heard it all before. 

He easily tunes out the pitiful pleading from his best friend, snorting a little. As much as he tries to convince himself it's just teasing, he can't help but feel slightly stung whenever it's pointed out. They're right, anyway. He is no fun, and that's exactly why he shouldn't be going to any crowded college parties. 

Jihoon resists the urge to si

Please log in to read the full chapter