Private Kim

Only Good Times
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17 - Private Kim

 

 

Let me place some painful kisses on your burning body, leaving love bites
Silently, the moonlight silhouettes the secret love affair.

- "Tattoos and High Heels" Lyrics, U-Know Yunho

 

 

On March 31, 2015, Kim Jaejoong started his 5-week basic training as part of his mandatory military service.

Military life was harder to take than he expected. No day-offs. No personal items were allowed including phones. He had none of the luxurious items that he owned, such as skin care, the secret to eternal youth. “Ahh this is dangerous,” Jaejoong thought but couldn’t do anything about it. They wore the same outifts. They ate the same things. They were given a monthly salary that was more or less what he earned in a minute. Last but not the least, there was no music. Just a bunch of military songs that kept playing on repeat.

Although Jaejoong has decreased physical stamina compared to when he was younger, his willpower had been forged like steel. His training days and life as a top idol made him more flexible than the rest of his batchmates. He knew how to handle fatigue, to work in a team, to execute orders quickly, to change speech patterns, and to respect authorities who think they own you and treat you like dirt. He drew strength from the difficulties he endured in his life.

At the end of the basic training, Jaejoong was awarded Top Recruit of their unit, which he took pride in. He was the only one who checked ALL the qualifications for a Special Combatant:

Do more than 86 sit ups within 2 minutes Do more than 72 push ups within 2 minutes Run 3 kilometers within 12 minutes and 30 seconds Hit the shooting target 19 times out of 20 And get Certified in First Aid, Alert-Order, Chemical, Biological and Radiological Training, Psycological Aspect, and Military Fundamental Law

 

Unfortunately, during that period, a contagious illness called MERS was so rampant that the ceremony of completing basic training was not opened to just any visitors. Jaejoong's few family members were invited, and his vacations were held back.

 

 

The next day, Jaejoong was transferred to the Republic of the Korean Army, the special unit of the military.

He managed the military life well. It was difficult but he didn't show his hardships. To be honest, physically, mentally, emotionally, everything was tiring. And it was as if a whole new world was presented to him where he was an ordinary person among ordinary people. But in no time, he gained the favor of his team mates and everyone loved him for many things - his discipline, his leadership, his abilities, his generosity, and his attitude. He exuded a huge refreshing aura and it's not difficult to be mesmerized. Not too long, he was promoted to private first class and was the top of the unit, and he was granted calls.

For his pasts calls, he would phone his family, Yoochun and Junsu to know how s are doing. He's never heard or seen from Yunho, just hear-says that Yunho had been frequently in japan. This time, he wanted to hear from him and know how he's doing. It's been 3 months they’ve been apart.

He dialled Yunho's number from the military phone booth. He wasn't sure if Yunho would pick up. He only hoped that Yunho would recognize the strange number that it's from the army.

"Hello?" came a deep voice from the other line.

"Yunho-yah!" Jaejoong smiled and was happy to hear Yunho's voice, which felt like an eternity since he last heard him.

"YAH. Jaejoongie!" Yunho was equally thrilled to hear from him.

"Is this a good time?" He asked, concerned if yunho was in the middle of something.

"For you, always. I miss you." Yunho said sweetly.

Jaejoong was pleased and felt warm. A smile formed on his face. "I miss you too," he said softly.

"How are you doing there?"

There were many things on Jae’s mind but he replied, "I gained 9 kilos." He laughed in his trademark high pitched laughter.

"Really? That's good." Yunho said, trying to curb Jae's insecurity.

"...It's hard here." Jaejoong honestly shared with Yunho. For months, he couldn't admit that to anyone because he wanted to have a good image. But he kept his promise that he would do his best. "I just got promoted that's why I was able to call you. I have 5 days leave too. When are you enlisting?"

"Promoted? Yaaah, I knew you would do great! Congratulations! By July 6 I'm starting basic training."

"Then I can go on vacation on 4 to 8."

"That's good. Let's see each other then. I'm clearing my schedule."

They talked a while more with each other before ending the call unwillingly. Jaejoong gained new motivation though. In a few weeks he could see yunho. He couldn't wait!

But as he reported his vacation plans to his superior, he was told to postpone it. He would lead the military band's practice on July 1-5. As the band's lead, it was his obligation and there was no way to disobey orders. To his dismay, his leave was moved to July 6, Yunho's enlistment day.

The next phone call opportunity he got wasn't until 2 weeks after. But that time, he needed to talk to his m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter