give me a sign (i wanna believe)

A taste of what you've paid for

 

My story is not a pleasant one; it is neither sweet nor harmonious, as invented stories are; it has the taste of nonsense and chaos, of madness and dreams--like the lives of all men who stop deceiving themselves.

(Demian: The Story of Emir Sinclair's Youth)

 


 

 

If asked a question on whether or not demons are good, chances are there will be less than 1% of the human population that would agree, and only because those people are crazy.

 

But, contrary to popular belief, not all demons want to eat up people's souls. There are those who possess great powers to turn the world into an endless void of misery, but choose to co-exist with humans and learn their ways. Such is the case with Park Jihoon.

 

"Jihoon!"

 

Jihoon stopped on his tracks and turned around to see Kim Yerim, his classmate on his advanced calculus class, walking (brisk walking?) towards him with an eager smile on her face. He faked a smile. "Yes?"

 

Yerim stopped just a short distance away from Jihoon and looked at him intently, a cute smile adorning her face. "Can you help me with homework? I didn't really understand professor do's lecture earlier. I'll treat you as a payback!"

 

She stared at him expectantly. At the back of his mind, Jihoon thought about playing with her next, but the idea left as soon as it crossed his mind. It would coincide with his number one rule.

 

He just nodded his head. "Sure."

 

Smart, elegant, a crowd-pleaser... perfect. This is how Human Jihoon presented himself. He helps people sometimes; makes their dreams come true just for the hell of it.

 

Don't get him wrong, though. Park Jihoon do not, and never would, care about humans. He's on their side, but he is not one of them. He simply enjoys the thrill of getting something back after granting a wish. Jihoon is practically the embodiment of your mom's endless warnings of being careful what you wish for.

 

As anyone would have guessed, Yerim's need to be tutored boiled down to her wanting to spend time with Jihoon, because, of course, she had a crush on the man. Who wouldn't?

 

"I want to tell you something."

 

Jihoon looked up from his book to Yerim, who's sitting across the table from him. He already knew whatever the girl is about to tell him but he chose to act innocent.

 

They're at one of the famous coffee shops around campus that provide life to students that are dead inside in the form of, in Jihoon's humble opinion, vomit-inducing sugary drinks.

 

Coupled with the heavy lighting inside the shop, Yerim's excessive blushing is uncomfortably visible. She swallowed hard before speaking.

 

"I think I like--"

 

"Don't you think this equation is pretty easy? I think you can do everything alone." Jihoon suddenly asked, tone annoyed.

 

Yerim stuttered, not knowing how to react to the sudden change. "I-I.. I'm sorry, what?"

 

Jihoon smiled at her, as if nothing happened. "I need to go, Yerim."

 

Yerim visibly panicked, and suddenly grabbed Jihoon's arm. "D-don't go!"

 

Jihoon maintained his composure and still smiled sweetly, but one look into his eyes will scare anyone. Yerim felt a shiver run down her spine, and not the good kind.

 

"I don't feel the same about you, Yerim."

 

She's close to crying now. "B-but.. I'll.. I'll do anything! Just... please."

 

Jihoon smirked, eyes shining with a venomous glint. "Please what?"

 

"Please be mine."

 

Jihoon laughed softly. "My attention comes with a price, Yerim."

 

"What is it? What do you want?" Yerim asked, voice full of hope.

 

A little warning might go a long way, so here's one: Never, under any circumstances, make a deal with Park Jihoon.

 

"I want a piece of you."