Life's Like This -Part 2

Heaven On Earth --- (This Heart Beats for You series)

[beep]

Her phone notification went off and she saw a text from Hyung Sik. He was in Busan filming a guest appearance in a drama and had left early yesterday. 

How are you, my love? Are you on the set yet?

I'm fine. Just getting ready to leave. Are you shooting now?

Yes. Short one then we are going to grab some food. 

Oh good. You meeting Dong Jun too? I wish I can have Dwaeji Gukbap (pork soup).

I'll buy some to bring home. I wish you were here too. I miss you.

I love you, I miss you too. 

Make sure you rest properly today. I'm not there to take care of you. 

I will. I better go. Call me later ok?

Of course. I love you, my Bo Young-ie.

.

.

"Cut!" Pdnim yelled as they wrapped up another scene. Bo Young drew a deep breath of relief. The scene had been a difficult one to shoot. Her character had lost her father after a long bout of sickness and this scene was filmed as he took his final breath. Her character walked out of the house in misery under a deluge of torrential rain, symbolizing the emotional turmoil occuring both in nature and within the person. It took every once of strength and emotion she ever had to convey the heartbreak one would feel over losing a loved one. She was visibly overwrought mentally and physically. Her makeup artist and assistant hovered over her, touching up her makeup, fixing her hair, draping a towel over her as she was still in her drenched clothing. Pdnim came over to talk with her about the scene, giving her some feedback and ideas about reshooting for better camera angle. The Pd is being extra meticulous for this was the central point of the story that would bring the plot together in the drama. 

"Eu Jeun-sshi, may I please have some water?" Bo Young asked one of the assistant staff kindly. Bo Young has always been the top choice of the production staff among many actors to work with. She is known for her kindness and consideration of others. There was one occasion not very long ago when one of the set artists caused a major mess by mixing up key elements necessary in the filming, delaying entire production for the rest of the day. She had burst into tears in embarrassment in front of the crew. Bo Young took her aside and spoke to her kindly until she calmed down. She had one of the assistants tell PDnim they were going for a short break and took her to the coffee shop until the girl was able to compose herself. Word spread of Bo Young's kindness among staff. They already know how lovely a person she is, but when it became known how she treated everyone equally with respect, especially involving "one of their own," their estimation of her went up a notch higher. One can see how much the whole crew took care of the cast, but especially more so of Bo Young.

Bo Young sat down to catch her breath. The filming has been difficult of late and exhausting. Many a nights she had come home drained, causing Hyung Sik endless anxiety. Last week he spoke to PDnim to see if they could have a break in the middle of the week. He knew Bo Young would not have asked for it herself though she would be quick to consider others' health rather than her own. PDnim was very understanding and granted his request. He announced that he needed to re-edit the previous scenes so that Bo Young would not feel guilty about "wasting" a work day. Though she wouldn't admit it, her relief was evident when she gave her husband a heartfelt thanks for interceding on her behalf. Hyung Sik had taken her to visit his parents house in Yongin for a day of rest. Her si-eommoni had fussed at him for letting her work so hard until he felt sheepishly like a little boy once more rather than a grown married man. Bo Young enjoyed the attention. She was very fortunate to have a mother in law who is sweet and kind. No wonder her husband grew up to be the man he is; his parents were both loving and generous people. Her si-eommoni had only boys and took pleasure doting on her daughter in law. She fixed Bo Young's favorite meals, had an ahjumoni come by to give them treatment massages, and generally gave her a comforting day only a mother can give. Hyung Sik teased that he had been forgotten and replaced but no one can overlook the pleasure evident on his face seeing these two important women in his life together. He wanted to make sure she stays healthy and rested, worrying since he was due to leave for Busan and would not be home to care for her. 

She missed her husband tremendously. On those filming days when he was free, he was a constant presence on the set. He wouldn't get in the production's way but just sat there watching and waiting for her; his admiration of her versatility and range as an actor visible on his face for anyone to see. Some would even joke that he could be mistaken for her stylist, in the way he would hover over her- fixing her hair, her clothes, touching her face- in between takes. Bo Young was still feeling the after effects of the emotional scene she just finished, that she felt herself tearing up just thinking of Hyung Sik. She took her phone and quickly sent him a heart emoji and smiled with pleasure at his quick response back of a kiss emoji. Feeling slightly mollified, she went on to prepare herself mentally for the reshoot.

Hours later, much to her dismay, she started feeling feverish. She could feel the headache starting on the back of her head, a  slow throbbing insiduous persistency which she knew marks the beginning of a migraine. Fortunately, her scene is almost complete and she would be free to go. She debated calling Hyung Sik about it, knowing he would worry unnecessarily, so she decided she would just drop by a clinic on her way home to get some medicine. She made her way to the staff lounge when a wave of dizziness overtook her.

.

.

He felt wrecked.

Hyung Sik was restless, fidgeting in his seat, drumming his hands, checking his phone constantly. He and his manager are on the express train heading back to Seoul. He wanted to fly to get home sooner, but no flights were available and the train was their best option at this time of the evening. 

"Hyung Sik-kah," he heard his hyung manager speak, "she will be fine. We'll get there soon enough."

He didn't answer, but looked out of the window. The glass pane reflected the worries etched on his face. He knew his mind is his greatest adversary, creating various scenarios one worse than the next. I should've known something was wrong,  he berated himself for the hundredth time. His thoughts flashed back to the phone call he received a few hours ago.

He had been trying to get hold of Bo Young for the last 10 minutes, but could not reach her. He wondered if she had left her phone in the car. But she would notice it was missing; she was supposed to text me when she got home.  He was about to call her manager when his phone rang, the caller ID showed it to be Minki. 

"Hyung Sik-kah, we're in the hospital. Don't worry, okay?"

"What happened?! Where is she, what's going on?" He was about to leave his hotel room on his way to meet Dong Jun. 

"She finished filming and collapsed. She was still in the filming site at the time; fortunately there were others around and she was helped immediately. I was on my way to pick her up when I got the call."

"Is she alright? Tell me what's wrong with her."

"The staff with her said she felt feverish. It's probably the 'flu that has been going around. She had that scene today where she got soaking wet. That plus exhaustion might have caused her to collapse. The doctors are seeing her right now. Are you coming home?"

"Yes of course. I was trying to reach her before but couldn't. Please stay with her. I'm going to see what's the soonest flight out. Call me with updates, please."

He quickly gathered up his belongings and notified his manager. Together, they were able to find an express train that will reach Seoul in 3.5 hrs. It was the longest 3.5 hours of his life.

 

.

Hyung Sik practically ran through the hospital doors in his haste. He could feel his heart pounding in anxiety. His last text from Minki was unchanged; she was still under observation. He was relieved to find Bo Mi sitting on a chair by her room. She rose when she saw him.

"Is she alright?" He asked, concern choking his voice.

"Yes, she's sound asleep now, so I thought it best to wait out here."

"Did the doctor say anything? What's wrong with her?" he started pacing as he ran his hands through his already tousled hair.

"They took some blood and ran some tests. Nothing yet. She woke up a little bit after they gave her some fluids intravenously but fell asleep again. I sent Minki home while I waited for you."

"Thank you for staying with her. I'll go inside and see her. Are you okay going home?"

She nodded. "Call me if you need anything; I dont mind staying if you need me. Here," she said, handing him Bo Young's phone. "It fell from her coat pocket."

.

He walked cautiously inside. The lights were turned low and the blinds were down casting the room in faded shadows. Enough light was present to illuminate her small form lying still on the bed that was in the middle of the room. His heart lurched at the sight of her helpless figure. His eyes took in her face, her pallor evident even in the dimmed lighting. Her lips were parched and he noted a few bruises forming on her arm where they had drawn blood. He couldn't stop the ache from the vise that gripped his heart. He reached out to tuck a wisp of hair and lightly caressed her cheek. She stirred, feeling his familiar touch. Her eyes fluttered and opened slowly to find him looking at her with anxious eyes. She reached up to hold his hand cupping her face. 

"Ne sarang..."

"You're here."

He nodded unable to speak. His eyes moistened to hear her speak, and the breath he didn't know he held in check rushed out in a sigh. 

"Are you alright?"

She nodded. "I didn't mean to make you worry, " she whispered.

He bent down to kiss her forehead and bury his face in her neck. He felt her arms wind themselves around his shoulders and he hugged her, tightly, as if his life depended on it. All his fears of losing her is contained in that one embrace. She is his anchor, his lifeline, his home. And he knew losing her will not be just losing a part of himself but his whole. He hugged her with a fear borne out of a love so encompassing, so absolute in its purest form. 

He kissed her gently and rested his forehead on hers. He held her until he could finally let her go.

.

.

.

He helped her sit up, propping pillows behind her, fussing at her covers, her tubings, his brows knotting visibly as he saw her bruises again. He brought his lips to kiss each one tenderly, muttering under his breath at the pain she must have felt from them. He sat next to her on the bed and held her hands while he kept checking if she felt feverish, if she hurt anywhere, whether she is hungry. She let him fuss, knowing this would help calm him down eventually. Besides, she loves his attentiveness, of having him around and being loved by him.

"I'm sorry you missed seeing Dong Jun," she said.

"He understands. I messaged him while I was on the train. You can come with me next time and have your Dwaeji Gukbap," he said kissing her hands. "I told you to eat properly and not skip a meal."

"I know, but I was so busy and tired. But I ate some fruits."

"That's not enough! No wonder you fainted. I will have to send food trucks everyday just to make sure you eat."

She smiled at his spirited outbursts. "You will have to take extra care of me then," as she kissed the hand that lovingly held hers.

 

They were interrupted by a knock and a band of doctors came into the room. Some were noticeably mere medical students still in their training. Hyung Sik glanced briefly at his wife to make sure she is covered appropriately. He stood up but kept his hold on Bo Young's hands. 

The lead physician came over and bowed in greeting. She introduced herself as Dr. Kim Nari. She proceeded to examine Bo Young's chart and inquire how she was feeling.

Before she could reply, Hyung Sik spoke and requested more privacy for them without the presence of the others in the room. He can recognize a fanboy when he sees one, him being one to begin with. The doctor nodded her head.

The students walked out visibly disappointed, after much bowing to Bo Young. They closed the door leaving just the three of them.

"I'm glad to say it was simply exhaustion, with a transient case of viral infection, hence the fever. But that has passed. You need to rest right now to let your body adjust fully in your condition."

Both spoke at the same time.

From Hyung Sik: "Will she need any medicine?" "Will she need further tests?" "How many days can I keep her home?" 

From Bo Young: "I feel better." "Can I go home soon?" "When can I go back to work?" 

Dr. Kim held her hand up. "I would suggest at least the rest of the week to rest, and you can resume regular activities after a day or two." She added after a thought, "but slowly."

She continued, "I prefer you stay the night to make sure the fever doesn't return. But you can go home tomorrow. You won't need any medicine. And if you can eat and drink, I can have the nurse remove the IV in your arm."

"Kamsahamnida, Dr. Kim," both replied, obviously relieved.

"Very well," the doctor replied. "I'll get your paper work started for tomorrow's discharge. Please make sure to see me next week for a follow up. Here's my card."

Dr. Kim handed her card to Bo Young and turned to leave. She was about to open the door when she heard Bo Young call.

"D-dr. Kim..." 

"Yes, Mrs. Park?" She turned to find both were looking at her in shock, her card now in Hyung Sik's hand, who is equally silent.

"It says.. but your card says..." she couldn't complete her thought.

"Yes, Mrs. Park. I will be your Obstetrician."

.

.

.