하나 (1)

Serendipity

Lee Hye-Jin's P.O.V

Long queues irritate the hell out of me, especially in airports.

Holding my passport in one hand and my luggage in the other, I continuously shook my head as my flight to Korea is delayed for the nth time. I have two weeks to spare, two weeks away from my family, and this is how it begins.

I sit down on one of the benches and patiently wait. I unlock my phone and scroll on my Twitter timeline. Nothing to see here, I tell myself. I decided to shuffle my Airport playlist and immerse myself with its wonderful songs.

"Flight KR 1230 is now accepting passengers on board!" The personnel announced, and I jumped for joy. Being my clumsy self, I dropped my phone, passport and luggage.  I looked at my surroundings, praying that no one saw my embarrassment, and luckily no one did.

"Finally." I said under my breath, after calming myself. I fixed my trench coat, pulled my huge luggage, and put in my earphones to block out the world. I head towards the Business Class line, and shockingly no one was there.

"Does this mean I have the Business Class to myself?" I asked jokingly, followed by a sarcastic laugh. I lowered the volume of my music, and mentally wanted to face-palm myself. I embarrass myself even when I am on my own. Sometimes, I could not believe what I am capable of. 

"I don't think so." Someone utters, making my head snap to the direction of the voice. I was astonished by the act, not knowing what to say. It goes downhill from here, Lee Hye-Jin. Abort now, abort mission.

"Aish, I am s-sorry." I look at the man and instantly regretted my joke. I take off my earphones, and put a part of my hair behind my ear. The things I do when I am nervous, gosh. Someone take me out of this situation.

In front of me was a brunette-haired man, wearing a denim jacket over a gray hoodie, black sweatpants, Gucci sneakers and to top it off, a face mask. Why must this man have a good fashion sense? Because of him, I am quite ashamed with what I am wearing.

"It's okay, trust me." He responds, chuckling as his eyes crinkle. "Quite the imagination if you ask me." He adds, smiling mischievously. He fixes his hair by sweeping his hand through, then straightens his denim jacket.

"Thank you?" I said, with a hint of confusion. I put my phone in my pocket, and start fidgeting with my fingers without him seeing. I feel uneasy, never in my wildest dreams have I ever thought of having an encounter with a gorgeous human being.

"Business Class passengers, all aboard." The personnel announced, as I sigh in relief. The personnel assigned in the gate gets a hold of my ticket and scans the code which serves as my entry to the plane.

"I have to go." The man and I said in unison. We were both shocked at the unexpected simultaneous exchange. We both smile at each other, and went to our different paths. I am secretly hoping that it would not be our first and last encounter.

I hurriedly walk the long aisles of the airport, wanting to relax and munch on some food. As I am near my destination, I can imagine the sumptuous food the steward or stewardess will serve. Almost there, I tell myself.

I see the plane and a stewardess in the distance. I could feel the adrenaline rush flowing through my veins. I run as fast as I could, and unfortunately trip. I slowly rise, causing yet another embarrassment. I hate myself so much. I will always and forever will be clumsy.

"Good morning! Are you okay?" The stewardess asks with so much concern. I nod, brushing off my mistake, and hand her my ticket. She gets a hold of my ticket and searches for my seat. "This way, Ms. Lee. Please follow me." The stewardess leads the way, and I take my seat.

"If you need anything, do not hesitate to press this button for assistance." The stewardess informs me, as I buckle my seat belt and turn on the in-flight entertainment monitor. I rummage through the in-flight kit, and put on a few sprays of cologne on my neck. I finally relax, watching a movie from the monitor.

"Mr. Kim, pleasure to have you on board again!" I hear the stewardess say, as if flirting with the passenger. I shook my head at the thought of a crew-passenger relationship. Aish, disgusting. "This way. Please follow me." The stewardess looks at his ticket, and approaches my direction.

The stewardess double-checked the ticket and searched right as the passenger's seat was next to mine. Omo, I thought I had Business Class to myself? I sat up straight for the man to sit and as I looked up, I saw the same man from a while ago's encounter.

My heart flutters, as I go through all emotions at once. I feel giddy because my wish was granted. I feel anxious because he will be with me the whole flight. I feel mad at myself because if it weren't for my stupid remark, then he would be no one to me. But in the end, I am glad that little encounter happened, maybe just maybe it meant something.

"Shillye hamnida (Excuse me)." He says, as he took off his face mask. He puts his backpack in the overhead stowage bin, and tries his best not to hit me while passing by. I could not help but stare. He was more gorgeous than I expected.

"Gamsa hamnida (Thank you)." He utters sternly. It seems as if he already forgot me. Too serious for someone funny a while ago. I try to brush off my thoughts, but my actions seem to contradict my attempt. I avoid eye contact and take up all the space I can in the opposite direction. I know, so immature, but this is how I am.

"Uh, annyeong!" He converses, his movements so tensed as seen in my peripheral vision. My face furrows at the sudden act. Do I acknowledge his presence or do I do the same thing he did and ignore him? I think I would do the latter. I'll observe as to what he will do to catch my attention.

"Aish, neo gwimeogeolo ya? (Are you deaf?)" He frustratingly mumbles, but I managed to hear. I sassed him by crossing my arms and facing the other way. I am not easy to lure into someone's trap, moreover his. I lay my head on the seat and hum to the music of the movie I am watching. Time to doze off.

He interferes my relaxation, as he scooches over the little gap between the seat in front of me and my seat. There was a sudden turbulence, causing him to fall and grip on the sides of my seat. I gripped tightly on the armrests and our faces were inches apart. Why must this happen to me?

The turbulence felt like a lifetime. He intentionally moved his face closer, making me blush. I tried so hard not to show a hint of smile, but as he chuckles and tries to regain his balance, I laughed with him, breaking the awkwardness between us.

"Joesonghada (I'm sorry)." He decides to speak and carefully stands up. He heads to the stowage bin to get his backpack, and returned to his seat in a matter of seconds. He might just be Flash in disguise.

"Gwaenchanh-a (It's okay)." I finally say, accepting my faith to talk to him. "Mwo? (What?)" He asks, shocked with my response. I shake my head and chuckle at the same time. He is something else, let me tell you.

"I said it's okay. I don't think you did it on purpose." I immediately respond, his mood swiftly changing. I smile from ear to ear, as my mind replays what just happened. This ain't funny anymore. I have to stop right now.

I could feel his eyes attentively looking, and I easily got conscious to his unusual acts. "Maybe it was not on purpose." He whispers, grabbing my wrist and making me face his direction. Our faces were again inches apart. "Maybe I wanted to lean in even more." He says, ending it with a wink.

I actually think that I am not able to arrive in Korea. With the duration of the flight and with the man beside me, I believe that I have enough reasons not to survive. Omo, I am panicking too much. You can do this, Lee Hye-Jin. Fighting!

This is going to be a long flight, indeed.

-------------------------

Annyeong! My name is Louise, but you can call me Lou for short. I am back with a story entitled 'Serendipity,' and I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing. Saranghae! Do not forget to vote, comment and share this story! Till the next update!