Hidden Fangs

Hidden Fangs

 

You had known Leo for about two years, but in the last 5 weeks the two of you had gotten closer. So close in fact that you just knew he was going to ask you out on a date soon. So when you received a text about hanging out at his house that afternoon, you just knew that was when he was going to ask. You were so excited that you spent way too long getting ready and you were actually 20 minutes late!

You had texted him about it and found it odd that he never replied. He always replied, even if it was only dots, just so you would know that he read what sent.

Even with no response you made your way to his house. You had been there a few times before but this time was different.

When you knocked on the door a man you didn’t know opened it. When he looked at you, his eyes flashed and he smiled, an almost predatory smile that you didn’t really like. You didn’t know why he was there but when he invited you inside, you followed into the house and asked where Leo was. “Oh he’s upstairs. What’s your name?”

“None of your business Wonshik” You looked up at his voice to see Leo standing at the bottom of the stairs. It was a tense atmosphere that you didn’t feel like staying in, “um, I just going to visit another time-

You were cut off, this Wonshik person grabbed you. “Are you leaving so soon? Leo just provided dinner.”

Dinner? I thought Leo was upstairs and it’s only 4 o’clock? You were confused, but before you could worry about it Leo’s face contorted in anger “No!” he then launched himself at Wonshik. They fought at an inhuman speed. You couldn’t keep track of the fight but you saw blood splatter appear on various objects throughout the house.

You heard a thunk sound and everything went quiet seconds before Leo came down the stairs. He looked battered, with his clothes torn, his hair in disarray, his face was bleeding and his arm was clearly broken. You didn’t know how to feel. You were so confused. He looked you in the eyes for a long moment before speaking.

“We need to talk”

Before you could respond he grabbed your arm using his right arm, the one that was not broken, and forced you out of his house.

You weren’t sure where he was directing you but you still appreciated that he was trying to stay out of sight even though you’re pretty sure that he scared the life out of one little old lady and her cat.

At some point you realize that he is taking you in the direction of your apartment. At first you think that you are mistaken until he has you standing in front of your apartment door.

“Keys” He hasn’t said a word to you until now, and he won’t even look at you. It took you a moment to realize that he has his right hand out behind him for your keys

“What makes you think that I am going to hand you my keys? Just move out of the way. How do you even know where I live?” You had never spoken to him in such a mean way before but you didn’t know how to respond right now. You are slowly realizing that you didn’t know Leo like you thought you did.

He quietly moved behind you and let you open the door. The second you opened it however, you were immediately on the other side of it, the door closed behind you and Leo was sitting back on your couch, with his face to the ceiling and his shirt wrapped around his arm. His face had stopped bleeding and the swelling of his arm had gone down. You didn’t remember walking into your apartment or watching Leo sit on the couch. You choose to ignore that line of questioning for now and ask the most pressing question first.

“Shouldn’t you go to a hospital?” He didn’t answer, he didn’t even look at you. You were trying to keep a level head because you had many questions but his total lack of response was making you angry. 

You were angry so you yelled “That’s it!”

That made him look up at you. “You tell me that we need to talk but all you are doing is sitting there ignoring your injuries and ignoring me so either answer my questions or get out of my apartment!”

“You want me to leave?” All of your anger deflates when you hear his tone, he sounds so defeated, so heartbroken, so lost that you just want to throw your arms around him and comfort him but you need answers first. You decide to sit on the floor in front of him so that he will look at you in the eye.

“No I don’t want you to leave, I want you answer my questions” It takes him a while but he finally looks you in the eyes. You can’t quite place it but his eyes look different than normal, almost like they were glowing but not quite. He takes a deep breath before he speaks.

“I’m sorry I asked you for your keys, I just wanted to get inside quickly. I know where you live because I followed you home after we hung out to make sure that you were safe. I’m not going to the hospital because they can’t help me. Yes we need to talk but I’m not sure that you are ready for what I have to say.”

It take you a minute to understand that he just rapid fire answered all of your questions. After you finally processed that, he seemed to believe that was the best time to tell you what he wanted. He had his head down as he spoke.

“I know that this will be hard to understand-

“Hold on” He froze the moment you spoke “If you want me to understand, can I ask all my questions first? Because I have way too many floating around in my head.” He nodded “And if it isn’t to much to ask, could you look at me while we talk?” He slowly nodded and looked you in the eyes again.

“Yes”

“Okay, first question, If the hospital can’t help you, what can?” He went silent again, you were just about to complain about it before he opened his mouth.

“Blood.”

“Blood?”

“Blood.”

“Isn’t that why you would go to the hospital?”

“No.”

“Then how will you get blood?” He paused again. All of these pauses were starting to annoy you. When he finally speaks, it’s very quiet, almost like he doesn’t want to say it.

“Can I show you?” The air becomes very tense, you can sense that this is about something serious but you’re not sure about what. You think about it but ultimately decide to see what it is that he is so worried about.

When you nod, the world changes. Leo is no longer on the couch. He is cradling you in his arms and his head is on your neck. But the most disturbing part is that you can feel the pain of being pierced in your neck and you can here sound of coming from him.

When he finally lets go of your neck, he backs up just enough to let you get a good look at his face. He stays perfectly still, allowing you the time you need to take in the changes in his appearance.

His eye are glowing, his cheekbones are more pronounced than before, and he has sharp fangs in his mouth. His fangs are covered in blood. Your blood. You’re not really sure what to think at this point.

“You mean you’re- You can- You- What are you?”

“Your kind calls us Vampires”

You are officially freaking out.

“Vampire- Vampire?- Vampire!- Vampire?- Vampire- Vampire- Vampire!- Vampire-” That is the only word that your brain can process so it’s just spilling out of your mouth over and over until Leo shook you lightly and locked eyes with you.

“Stop” The command somehow gave you the ability to stop babbling, after you stopped, Leo held you closer and rocked you slowly. You both stayed that way for a while, allowing you to process this new information. That explains so many things about today. The man you didn’t know, the dinner comment, why all you saw of the fight was the splatter on the walls. The fight!

“Your arm!” you tried to move only to be held still. He moved his his left arm in order for you to see it. It looked completely healed.

“Blood heals all my wounds”

“Oh” You sit quietly cradled by him a little longer before you speak again. “That man… he wanted to eat me, didn’t he?” Leo stays quiet for a while, before he answers, he moves just far back enough for you to look at his face.

“Yes.”

“Why did you stop him?” He doesn’t answer you and looks away from your face. “If you would drink from me yourself, why did you stop him?” It takes him a long time to answer, for a while he simply holds you as if deciding what to say.

“He intended to drain you completely while I only took what I needed in order to heal. Also, I…

He went quiet so you simply took his hand in yours and held it, he sighed before finishing his sentence.

“You have become important to me… I couldn’t let him kill you.” After that, he wrapped his arms around you and covered you completely with his body, he simply rocked you and hummed a slow melody until you fell asleep.