Chapter 1

The Purpose Of Living

"Daniel please!" Jihoon desperately shook the other's hand as his eyes started to close. 

 

"But..........I'm..........Tired..." 

 

"One more minute Daniel, stay awake for one more minute." Jihoon bit his lip as Daniel's eyelids lowered a bit more, the door to the surgery room inching closer as the team of nurses pushed the stretcher to its limit.

 

"Jihoon." Daniel wheezed out.

 

 "Yes, Daniel?" 

 

 "I.... promise." The breathy whispers were growing close to inaudible mumbles.

 

 "Don't promise me anything! You're going to make it!" A nurse was trying to pry Jihoon's hand off of Daniel's.

 

 "I'll.......... always........be.......by.............your..........side." Jihoon felt Daniel's hand slip through his fingertips as they reached the door. 

 

 "No! Daniel!" Jihoon tried to grab him but was held back by a nurse, assuring him that they were going to do everything to the best of their ability to save him. But it was pointless, the moment he let go, Jihoon felt Daniel's soul leave the earth. 

 

 

 He collapsed onto his knees, tears staining the ground as the loud beep of a defibrillator drowned out his sobs.................................

 

 

   

            -  - - - - ---------------------------------------------------

 

 

 Jihoon could feel the tears pricking at his eyes as he saw the headline

 

 Highway accident causes fatal death 

 

 Sighing, he threw the newspaper in the garbage, he sat down by the window as he gazed out into the world, that continued to move, unknown to his depressed state.

 

 "It's only been 1 week, but it already feels like an eternity without you here." Jihoon sadly mumbled as he got up to grab a cup of his freshly brewed coffee. As he grabbed the cup, he felt a slight breeze tickle the nape of his neck, making him shiver. He turned around to see the window surprisingly opened. 

 

 "Weird." Jihoon said as he closed the window, only to stop as a butterfly slipped through the tiny crack and fluttered around his kitchen. His breath was taken away at how beautiful the butterfly looked.

 

 He was never good with classifying animals but the butterfly's wings were colored a bright blue, neat black dots patterned it, it sounds very simple but something about it left Jihoon in awe, he couldn't put his finger on it. The butterfly flew past his face, its wing swiping a tear off of his cheek. It was only then did Jihoon realize that he was crying. He wiped his eyes and stared at the butterfly as it flapped around. 

 

 After a few minutes he figured that the butterfly should go back outside, he made the window wider, expecting the butterfly to leave, but it landed on his shoulder, facing him as if it was staring directly into his eyes. He continued his staring contest with the butterfly until he heard a knock on the door. 

 

 He opened it to be faced with Daniel's sister, smiling sadly at him as she walked in with a box, the large gash on her right cheek stood out and she still had a neck brace on. 

 

 "I just wanted to make sure you're okay as well." She walked into his kitchen and set the box on the countertop, opening the contents to reveal a couple of chocolate chip muffins. "And to see if you're eating." Jihoon felt his stomach tighten at the sight of one of Daniel's favorite foods.

 

 "I'm okay I guess." Jihoon winced as she set her hand on his stomach, she lifted his shirt up slightly, revealing the slightly bloodied bandages. 

 

 "I thought it would've healed a little by now." Yunha shook her head in disappointment.

 

 "I guess it's not." Yunha grabbed a muffin out of the box and offered it to Jihoon, whom reluctantly took it. 

 

 "We all miss him, it wasn't your fault." She helped herself to a pitcher of water on the side of the counter, 

 

 "That stupid drunk driver," Jihoon muttered as his fist unconsciously squeezed the muffin tighter, crumbs spilling on the surface. The long forgotten butterfly on his shoulder took off and circled the crumbs, pushing the crumbs into a neat pile. Daniel's sister's face lit up at the butterfly.

 

 "You got a pet butterfly? Isn't that a little out of the ordinary?" She risked touching it, frowning as it jumped away slightly when her finger got near. 

 

 "It just flew through the window."

 

 "And it won't leave?"

 

 "It hasn't tried to leave."

 

 "It's so pretty though, I wonder what kind it is." Yunha looked closer at it.

 

 "I'll look it up later."

 

 "Text me when you do, I'm curiou-" BRRRINGGG She was cut off by the sound her cell phone ringing. Excusing herself, she answered it and started talking. After watching her talk intently, she hung up and smiled at him apologetically. 

 

 "I have to go meet up with some people for the funeral." 

 

 "That's fine." 

 

  "It was nice seeing you again." Yunha was putting her shoes back on. 

 

  "It was nice to see you too." Jihoon tucked his lips under his sweater as she opened the door, so the wind wouldn't graze his neck.

 

   "I'll see you next week?"

 

  "Of course Yunha." 

 

  "Sounds good. Bye." Jihoon shut the door behind her, turning back to see the butterfly still fluttering over the pile of crumbs beside the long-forgotten muffin. He approached the countertop, only to see that the crumbs were arranged in a heart shape. He looked at the butterfly, slightly taken aback. 

 

  "You're a strange butterfly." He swept the crumbs onto a plate and threw it away. He covered the muffin and put it in the fridge for later use. 

 

  He observed the butterfly continue to do weird things over the course of the day, popping the bubbles that flew up from the soapy dishes he was washing, constantly flapping air onto the sensitive nape of his neck, and gathering the dust and dirt on the floor into several hearts as he showered. It all reminded him of someone but he didn't want to admit anything to his brain, the tears wouldn't be able to stop flowing. 

 

  

  He sighed as he lied in bed, looking up at the ceiling and watching the butterfly fly in circles. 

 

 "I've never seen anything as interesting as you." He frowned as he looked at the dead flower by his window, he had long forgotten about it even before the incident. He even forgot what flower it was supposed to be as it was so shriveled up. He felt sleep overtake him as he watched the butterfly settle itself over his heart. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He woke up the next morning to see the butterfly nestled by the flower pot, a bright healthy flower suddenly making itself known.............

 

 

  A bright pink carnation filled Jihoon's blurry vision.....

 

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pink Carnation - I'll never forget you