The Mysterious Mochi

Swept Up in Lies

I watched her chest rise and fall as she slept peacefully next to me. To say I loved her was an understatement. She was my first and only love, and I would do anything to be with her forever. I glanced at the clock, then back at her. I didn't deserve her. Not one bit. I've been lying to her face for the 4 years we've been dating. And not a small lie. She had no idea what I really did for a living. I was paid to complete "jobs" for people, most requiring me to break laws. I would probably be sentenced to a lifetime of jail if I were caught for all the crimes I've committed in my life

But I, Park Jimin, didn't ever get caught. I stared at myself in the mirror as I brushed my teeth. My clients never see my face, hear my voice, or know my name, and vice versa. That's how I've built up trust and a name for myself in the industry. Even the private company I work for doesn't know anything about me. Only my partner, a master hacker and the brain behind all of my missions, knows about my life. I would be nothing without him.  

I changed into a navy suit before quietly closing the bedroom door and heading to the kitchen. I opened the fridge and took out the packed lunch my girlfriend made for me the night before. I smiled to myself thinking about the time and work she put into making my lunches every day. The smile quickly fell into a frown. She deserved so much better. I started up the coffee maker and filled it with her favorite coffee so it would be ready for her when she woke up. I slipped on my dark brown dress shoes before heading out the door to begin the day's work. 

----------

"How much are we getting for this job again?" I grumbled as I adjusted my position in the tall tree.

"Double what we got for the last one we did." 

"This is worth triple that amount. How can this even be considered a job?"

"We don't question the clients. As long as they pay us, we'll do anything for them. Within reason of course." I huffed in annoyance. 

"This isn't within reason. I've been watching their dog sleep for 3 hours. They do realize a pet sitter is much cheaper, right?" This client's request was to watch their dog while they went to the grocery store, and record any unusual activity. They believed their dog "turned human" when they left the house. 

"They just turned into the alley." Finally. I jumped from the tree I was stationed in and headed towards the black SUV parked around the corner. "You've got another job tonight, and this one will be a little more interesting." I scrolled through the details of the mission that had appeared on the center screen in the car. "We've been asked to keep watch on the president of a company during a big event tonight."

"Oh yay. Another babysitting job," I mumbled.

"More than that. Apparently, the company has been given a [heads up] of an ambush that is likely to take place tonight. Your job. Keep the president safe. They said if they do attack, you are to take the president to the parking garage where the secretary will be waiting in a car to get the president out of there." This job still didn't sound appealing to me.

"Who are we dealing with?"

"MYDAS." My lips pressed into a straight line at the mention of the group. This is what he meant by interesting. They were the top gang in the mafia world. No one dared to cross them. If they were the ones behind the ambush, they meant business. I glanced at the clock positioned in the left corner of my smart glasses. 5:30. I had an hour until it was go time. 

"Alright, I'm heading towards the destination." 

----------

I adjusted the black turtleneck covering my mouth, watching the crowd of well-dressed people mingle in the lobby of the large hotel from the balcony that overlooked the room. I kept myself tucked into the shadows, the hood of my black jacket pulled over the black cap on my head to shroud me in black. 

"She's the one in the blue dress. Sitting at the table close to the podium." She? My eyes scanned the courtyard, small red squares forming around each person as the glasses attempted to identify who president was in the crowd. A green circle popped up around a petite woman in a light blue dress. She didn't appear to be any older than me.

"Are you sure that's her? She looks my age. Maybe you got confused, and she's the daughter of the president?"

"Nope, that's her. 25 years old. Youngest woman to become president of a company in South Korea." How had I not heard about her? I watched her mingle with the other guests, a sense curiosity sitting in the back of my mind. I wanted to know who she was. 

"What's the President's name?" I waited for an answer, but he didn't say anything. "Yah, I asked a question."

"Oh, sorry. You must've cut out of my feed for a second. What did you ask?" 

"What is her name?"

"That's not important. All you have-"

"If you don't tell me her name, you can kiss the money for this job goodbye, because I will walk out of here," I hissed through gritted teeth in annoyance. Why couldn't he just answer the dang question?

"You might not want to do that." My eyes narrowed.

"And why is that?"

"Just trust me on this one." Irritated at his reply, my eyes wandered back to the lobby, eventually landing once again on the particular woman dressed in blue. Something seemed so familiar about her, but I couldn't put my finger on it. In a way, she reminded me of Yuna. The way she moved her arms as she spoke. Her posture as she sat at the circular table, mingling with those sitting next to her. The room immediately grew silent, and I looked up at the podium to see a middle-aged man preparing to speak.

"Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to our 25th annual gala. We are so thankful you have decided to join us tonight for this special occasion. Before we begin dinner, I would like to introduce our president, Yuna Hong." I froze. The round of applause from the crowd was muffled as if I was underwater. Finally getting a good look at her face as she made her way to the podium, I was overcome with disbelief. The target of this mission was my girlfriend