More than Words

More than Words
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(A/N Note: It would be good if you play the songs and read the lyrics before continuing reading (: ) 

"I'll leave this song to you, Epik High's Home is Far Away."

"This has been DJ Kang Seungyoon for FM Play Radio. Let's meet again next Tuesday night at 7 pm. Good night. I love you."

I love you.

Those three words, to Seungyoon it is something superficial. Something abstract that he utters every Tuesday to strangers listening to his radio show in the middle of the night. Sitting alone inside the soundproof well-lit room, in front of the cold metals surrounding him, he utters those words, I love you. 

Seungyoon is an only child raised only by his mother. He knows the love of a mother to her child, he experienced it. He knows the love of a child to his mother, he feels it. He is familiar to the love of a friend to a friend, he had met a lot of them. But he never knew the love of someone to his lover. He never experienced it nor has seen it first-hand. He never understands how a person could love someone despite their flaws if it t is not bounded by blood nor limited by friendship. To him, the words I love you are just mere words and unimportant. The most important to him now is to keep his job in this cold and competitive city of Seoul.

The on-air light turns off. The radio show has ended. Seungyoon's day has also come to an end. He exited the booth and greets the staffs goodbye.

Seungyoon is not too far out of the room when the PD of his radio show, Lee Seunghoon, called him, "Seungyoon-ah,  I have something to tell you." 

"Yes, PD-nim?"  responds Seungyoon surprised by the sudden greeting.

 "Its a little bit of a bad news. You know Song Mino, right? The management is considering reformatting the program and replacing you with him. They wanted something fun and sweet. They think that your show is a bit deppressing and that is not what the general public wants right now. But don't worry, it is not set to stone yet. They will first observe your performance for the month then they will decide. I am just giving you a heads up. ", informed Seunghoon while looking burdened for being the bearer of the bad news.

"I see. Thank you for informing me."  Seungyoon smiled and walks away. Seunghoon followed Seungyoon's footsteps with his eyes looking concerned.

Seungyoon walks blankly on the road to the bus stop with drooping shoulders. While thinking of what PD Lee had told him, he thinks of the lyrics of the last song he played in his radio show.

Is there no place for me in this huge world?

Am I alone in this busy street?

Is there not a single empty seat for me?

He looks up at the dark sky and wonders if it is going to rain then he remembered he forgot his umbrella. Why is the world so harsh to me? he thought.  He was never greedy with what he has. All he wanted was to keep the life he is living right now. After a lot of hardwork, he earned the postion of a radio dj and not even a year has passed, it will be taken away from him.

Why is it hard to find a place you belong in this world?

The bus comes while Seungyoon is still deep in his thoughts looking at the sky. The driver honks his horns to notify Seungyoon of his leaving but there is no response from him. The driver could not wait for him any longer and closes the doors. When Seungyoon snapped out of his thoughts, the bus is already gone. It is already 9 pm and the next bus will not be arriving until after two hours.

I don't want to go home anyway.

Seungyoon decided to take a walk first  and turns away from the bus stop. He just wandered around the street until he saw an open coffee shop, AMANTI DI CAFFÈ. Seungyoon never likes the bitter taste of coffee. He never even stepped inside a coffee shop. But tonight he wonders if its bitter taste could numb the bitterness of his life.

The wind chime jingles as Seungyoon opened the door of the coffee shop. The sound calmed Seungyoon a bit but then got shocked by the two tiny creatures that greeted him at the doorway. The two creatures are sphynx cats, one is a beige color and the other one is gray. Seungyoon finds the owner of the coffee shop unique knowing how rare it is to choose this breed of cats and they are just roaming around the coffee shop like it is their own home. Seungyoon loves cats but he has no time  to take care of them so he never got one. Seeing the cats gives him a good first impression about the coffee shop and its owner.

Inside, he could sniff the strong aroma of the beans being roasted mixed with a tinge of cinnamon and vanilla from the breads displayed at the counter. He goes to order at the counter and is greeted cheerily by an orange-haired woman with bangs covering her forehead. The woman's name, Lalice, is embroidered in her uniform. Seungyoon takes no notice of her and is just busy selecting his order from the menu above her. He places his order after some thought,  "One grande americano, please. Thank you." 

Seungyoon's mind is so occupied that he also did not notice the barista behind Lalice that turned his head when he heard Seungyoon's voice. Lalice punches Seungyoon's order in and requests,"Please take a sit and wait a while. We will give the order to you later." 

Seungyoon looks for an empty seat and luckily finds one near the window. While waiting, he observes the interior of the coffee shop and the people inside it. The coffee shop closely resembles a house with sofa-like chairs adorned with pillows. The tables are made with wood which are cozy and soothing for Seungyoon since he is so used to having a surrounding filled with metals, glass and plastics only. There are a few students studying, a couple having a date and some lone individuals equipped with laptops who might be busy finishing their reports. No matter what their agendas are, they seem to be comforted by the ambiance inside the coffee shop.

After a few minutes, Seungyoon's order finally arrived. The waiter carefully places the cup of americano in front of him. And to Seungyoon's surprise, the waiter also placed a slice of strawberry cheesecake on his table.

"I did not order this." Seungyoon clarified.

The waiter smiled and answered, "It is on the house. Our owner wants to give it to you."

Seungyoon is doubtful but how could he refuse the temptation of his favourite sweet delicacy in front of him? He gives in to temptation and decides to just thank the gracious soul later. 

Seungyoon smiled and replied to the waiter, "Well then, thank you very much. Please extend my thanks to your owner too."

When the waiter left, Seungyoon notices that it starts to rain outside. The rattling of the rain, the sporadic meowing of the cats, the acoustic background music of the coffee shop all syncs perfectly together. It feels ike he is living in the most peaceful part of the world. For a moment, he temporarily forgets the worries he had in mind. 

He lifts up the cup of coffee to drink and notices a small pink note pasted on top of the saucer penned with a beautiful handwriting.

Smile. Even if the world does not. Smile. Just smile and you'll see the difference (^_^).

Seungyoon realizes that he has not smiled the whole time since hearing the news. Reading the letter makes Seungyoon's lips curl up. He tastes the americano and his face crinkles from the bitterness but his smile did not wane. He immediately takes a bite from the strawberry cheesecake to reduce the bitterness. Seungyoon never really likes drinking coffee so he could not really judge it but he could say that it is the best strawberry cheesecake he ever had.

Seungyoon's situation did not change. He is still at the verge of getting axed from the radio show but his perspective did. He realized that he cannot just mope around. He has to do something and he already found his answer through the pink note. For him to have this change of mindset, he has only one person in mind to thank. It is the one who created this enchanting coffee shop that serves as his momentary solace from this suffocating world. The one who gives him the pink note, the owner of  AMANTI DI CAFFÈ.

It is already half past midnight. The last bus trip to Seungyoon's home already passed. The rain has stopped and the people inside the coffee shop left one after another. Seungyoon waited until the closing time of the coffee shop. He doesn't want to disturb the coffee shop's operation by talking to the owner. When all customers left, Seungyoon approached the counter and asks Lalice for the owner of the restaurant. She pointed him to the barista behind her.

"Owner! Someone is looking for you," Lalice called while arranging her stuff at the counter.

Jinwoo turns his head and approaches her. He saw Seungyoon and smiled at him. He asked, "Kang Seungyoon-ssi, did you enjoy the strawberry cheesecake?"

Seungyoon saw an unfamiliar face and wonders why he knows him. But more than his curiosity, the moment Seungyoon sets his eyes upon Jinwoo, he was stunned. He expected the owner to be much older but he looks so young. The name of the owner is also embroidered on the pocket of his white polo, Kim Jinwoo. Jinwoo looks similar to a prince from another country. He has neatly pulled back blond hair and outstanding facial features. His dimples is also very prominent when he smiles. He seems to be a very refined and charming man. He has the look of a cold city man who has break a lot of hearts.

"Yes, it was delicious. Thank you very much. I also found this under my cup," Seungyoon replied while raising up the note with his hand.  

"Oh! You found it." Jinwoo exclaimed.

Lalice sensed that the two needed privacy so she takes this time to leave. "I'll be leaving, owner! Take care of yourself,"  She called Jinwoo out before she exits to the doorway.

Jinwoo waves to her goodbye then looks at the clock. He looks back at Seungyoon and asks worriedly, "Its already late. How are you going to go home?"

"I guess I'm riding a taxi since there is no bu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter