One

The Magikal Shoppe - Character Images in Forward.
THE MAGIKAL SHOPPE
A SHINee Paranormal AU
*****

Introduction
    MY NAME IS JINKI LEE, I'm twenty-five years old.  Four years ago my life had been as normal as any humans can be - while being able to move things with your mind, and owning a magic shop inherited from their grandmother - in the mortal world.  Apparantly, there are other worlds out there, including one that magic folk such as myself originated from.  Witches, werewolves, even shapeshifters, to name a few, sometime in the last five hundred years had decided to go against custom and start mating with humans.  Thus, you get people like me, who had absolutely no idea they could do magic until...  *clears throat  ...you nearly destroy your house while having a nightmare, or set things on fire when you get upset.
    I used to do that.  I'd been thirteen when my powers had appeared.  After the first nightmare my mother had been happy - happy I'd almost destroyed our house - and she'd called my grandmother.  They'd enlightened me on all things paranormal.  Of course, in the mortal world there's only so much you can experience, because magic is limited here.
    So, they'd trained me in visualization techniques to keep my emotionally activated telekenesis and hyperkenesis (the fire starting) in check.  I'd also learned how to do potions, which I have affinity for, meaning I have the talent for creating my own recipes (I inherited it from my grandmother).  My mother's affinity for spells definitely missed the mark - I couldn't pull one off if I wanted to.  They either fizzled out or... sometimes, did the opposite.  I haven't given up yet.
    I don't like to fail at things, so Spells-one, Me-point five... whatever.  I'll figure it out.  It also might have to do with the fact that abrupt changes like a pen becoming a chair or a pumpkin becoming sentient - and talking to me - freaks me the hell out.  Yeah, when you grow up as a mortal, regardless if you are, you don't take that kind of change very well - well, maybe you would, but I don't, so... yeah.  Moving on.
    In two days, I'll be going to the world of my ancestors -  Reince Field.  I looked up the definition for Reince and it means:
The desire to inspire and lead, to control other's affairs.  You are giving, courageous and bold, action oriented, energetic and strong willed.  You want to make a difference in the world, and this attitude attracts you to cultural interests, politics, social issues, and the cultivation of your creative talents.
    I don't know about all that, plus, that's a defintions from wikipedia in the mortal world and most likely isn't what the Ancient's had in mind when they created a community there.  However, I resonate with the I am giving and strong willed, and I definitely want to cultivate my creative talents - like learning how to make spells work for me.  Doing magic is nothing if not pure creativity.  You change energy and make something out of nothing.  How more creative could you get?
    From what I've learned from certain parties who are now close to me, Reince Feild has the usual level of snobbery and drama, so nothing new there.  Those certain parties are my magical friends whom I've met over the last three years:  Key, a Fae who disowned himself from the Fae culture.  Even though he does blood magic he dislikes their brutality and controlling ways.  It also had to do with Jonghyun, a Shape-shifter whose deemed himself Key's Familiar.
    Shape-shifters are an entirely different species from Familiars, and it's frowned upon in most societies - like he's downing himself somehow.  It's kind of like how people pity a submissive female to a dominate male - they forget that the dominate may have control, but it's the submissive who allows it, they're the one with the actual control, so yeah.  And Jonghyun is anything but submissive.  You'd think he was a werewolve with all his breaking of things and in your face kind of attitude.  They'd come to the mortal world, because Key had wanted a change in scenery, and where he goes, Jonghyun goes.
    Then there's sweet-naive-little Vampire Taemin.  He's the oldest, at one hundred and eighty, and looks the youngest.  Because of his personality he's adored by all and we take care of him, especially Minho.  Minho had been a normal witch until Taemin accidently bit him.  When Minho changed it unleashed a can of drama that destroyed his parents' relationship.
    See, a supernatural creature isn't supposed to be able to turn in to another supernatural creature, being bitten or not, and is especially not supposed to be able to become both, Hence:  A Dormant Vampire Gene.  When he'd been bitten, that dormant vampire gene had woken up.  His mother had once had an affair with a second generation half vampire, half witch hybrid, and Minho hadn't been his Father's biological son.  Broken hearted from his mothers betrayal and his father disowning him, he'd divorced himself from the whole family.
    To top matters off, the Ancient Coven his family had been a part of, with help from his Father, had tried to have Taemin executed, so Minho could return to normal.  The snobby Coven couldn't have a hybrid in their ranks.  Because Minho had a genetic vampire gene, killing Taemin most likely wouldn't have turned him back.  The damage had been done.  His mother's betrayal had also gotten her kicked out of the Coven, by the way - it was impure.
    Anywho, even though Minho hadn't known Taemin well back then, he'd still chosen him over his Coven and his family.  He'd become a part of Taemin's Tribe, which is what Vampires belong to.  They'd eventually become Lifemates, and for educational purposes had come to the mortal world.  They'd been here for twenty-five years before we'd met.  Key and Jonghyun had been here for ten, and strangely were more adept in human culture than they were.  The reason being - Key is more intelligent than they - we - are, and he learns quickly.  And he never lets us forget it.
    One lesson in life:  Don't piss Key off.
    Learn it, pocket it, and pull it out to remind yourself when you decide to mess with him - pratical jokes count.
    I'd once made him angry.   Him knowing my phobia about things becoming other things and talking to me, had used it against me - and cackled like the witch he claims to be, when I'd begged him to make it stop.  He'd had my reflection talk to me.  I'd had to cover all mirrors and avoid reflective surfaces for a week.  That's a lot harder than it sounds.
    My reflection hadn't been evil, but - Phobia.  I still have nightmares about it.  
    Sometimes, I hate witches, even if I am one.

*****

A Typical Day
    THE MAGIKAL SHOPPE has been located mid-town, Eastern Hollywood, for the better part of a century.  My grandmother inherited it from her mother when she'd been my age, twenty-five, and I now continue the tradition of not only helping people with theraputic and magical needs, but also being a themed shop for tourist entertainment.  And being October, in spirit of Halloween, the shop is booming.  This month alone I've made more candles than I care to count.  Thankfully, I have Taemin for that.  He's good at remembering things - like, seriously.  He can repeat an entire conversation which happened six months ago, and remember the date and time it'd happened.
    The only flaw in this ability is that he has to of experienced the details to remember them.  As in, to remember the time he would've needed to look at a clock to absorb the information.  I also have Key who keeps the books up.  I'd once had a problem keeping assistants for that, because... the shop may or may not be haunted - I know, cliched, right?  Sudden creaks and groans, windows shutting and doors that had been closed being opened, can spook people.
    Thankfully, Key isn't fazed.  Apparently, ghosts aren't restless spirits, but an actual species, and they have more important things to do in their life than scare people.  Also, ghosts aren't spirits at all, they're alive.  Being translucent or solid, moving through stuff, is an ability - like witches can do magic.  Once again, I'm not so sure about some of that.
    I know windows can lose their grip and shut on their own, old places creak, and pipes can  groan.  Most doors, however don't just shut and open on their own - I know wind can cause it, but the shop is old, the doors aged, and they take strength beyond a light breeze to close.  It makes me suspicious.  If not ghosts doing it, then what?  This is what I was wandering as I, yet again, opened the door to the storage room (My grandmother used to call it The Den).
    I sometimes use it to cut, mix, and measure ingredients to bottle for sale.  It's also where I make candles, and keep the majority of supplies.  Each season I have to keep the temperature right for particular ingredients, and that means keeping the door open.  "I swear, I'm going to bolt this thing open," I said.  High, wooden shelves, matching the walls were to the right as I entered.
    They held my personal ingredients, so I kept them locked.
    The rectangular wooden table took up most of the room, leaving decent space to move around.  Ingredients and working utensils were arranged in ordered caos, either on wall shelves, low tables, or like the herbs to be made in to powder, hanging upside down from the ceiling to dry out.  His grandmother had organized it that way and it worked, so I found no reason to change it.  The soaps were in an eighth divided metal pan.  They'd been cooling for a few hours and should've been done.
    I poked each square and satisfied, pulled the lever which removed the dividing bar.  I put it on the table and went to the shelf on the right wall.  It held plastic containers of all shapes and sizes.  I took a small round one and dumped the soaps in, before taking it to the front counter.  The counter was L shaped - the narrow side held the register and pointed towards the door.
    The wide side pointed to the cases displaying the bath and body products.  My grandmother had built her own cauldron and with it's odd angular linings and narrower at the top design, it adds something extra to the atmosphere.  Plus, it just reminds me of her and I always keep it there.  She's gone on vacation - to where I don't know - and has been gone for two months.  There's no telling what she's getting up to.
    She hasn't even sent me a postcard.
    I pull two boxes from under the counter and sit them to the side.  One holds a clear plastic I use to wrap the soaps in and one has stickers it that displays the shops logo:  an animated recreation of my grandmothers cauldron with The Magikal Shoppe written in bold purple letters beneath it.  As I begin to wrap the soaps I hear the little bell over the door tinkle.  My grandmother can't stand loud noises, so she'd needed something pleasant to alert her to customers.  However, it isn't a customers whose come in, but Minho with Taemin behind him.
    Minho's carrying an extra large pizza box - he's eating a peice and attempting to slurp cheese up before it drops on his shirt.  Gross.  Taemin closes the door and then waves both hands in a flurried greeting.  He's grinning, as always, genuinely happy to see everyone.  His hair is especially red today.  He must have fed this morning, and by that, I mean drank fresh blood.  Minho's hair is his naturally light brown, so he must of foregone that early morning... treat?
    Blood in mouth equals activating my upchuck reflex, so I try not to think about it, or where they get it.  They've, thankfully, been nice enough to keep the details to themselves.
    Key is sitting crosslegged in the made to look aged, swivel chair in front of the register, reading the newest addition of Witches Weekly.  His blonde hair has cotton candy shades of purple and blue in it.  Depending on his mood, it naturally changes colors.  Apparently, it's a Fae thing.  In the mortal world, unless you get in to the hardcore, brutal, Fae, violent fiction stories, Fae are called Fairies, so there you go.  I must remind you, he may look pretty with his high cheek bones and upturned cat-like angled eyes, but he isn't to be messed with.
    "Six o'clock on the dot," he says.  "You guys actually made it on time.  Congratulations."  Only his eyes moved to look at them.  "I don't have to curse you... again."
    Still eating pizza, Minho walks around the counter, patting him on the arm as he goes.  Taemin swallows hard and looks at the carpet.  I can't help but smirk.  Even though I'm also afraid of Key, I appreciate puncuality.  My grandmother would have nagged me all day for being late.
    I catch Minho moving behind me and turn to see him going in to the work room.  "You had better not put your greasy fingers all over my stuff," I say.  I hear a mumbled around pizza answer that sounds like Yeah Yeah Yeah.  I scowl.  I hear movement and look up to see Taemin in between the bath and body shelves.
    He's pulling the previous days products forward for the fresh ones to be put behind them.  I continued to wrap soaps until they were finished, then gave them to him.  As he went back to the shelves the bell over the door sounded.  I looked over to see two girls come in.  They're young, probably thirteen or so, and their arms are linked, like they're nervous.
    The Magikal Shoppe has a more quaint than creepy atmosphere, but some young people don't know the difference.  I feel kind of bad, but not really.  Where are their parents?  Young people, especially girls, shouldn't be in the city alone.  From the news it's not even safe to leave kids unsupervised in their own front yard anymore.
    I hear movement behind me and look over.  Minho comes behind the counter with his over-sized pizza box in one hand and the other holding a plastic box over his shoulder, full of bagged herbs.  From the pinging sounds, also full of empty glass containers.
    "Welcome to the magikal shoppe," Taemin said.
    The girls look at him.  One smiles.  The other hesitates, but his natural adorableness does the trick.  She gives a shy smile.
    "Can we help you," I say.  They look at me and blush.  Awkward, but at least they aren't nervous about the shop anymore.
    "Did you two need anything particular," Key says.  He's put his magazine down and appears professional, which I appreciate.
    One girl speaks up.  "We um... are interested in magic.  Do you have any... um... books on that?"
    The bell over the door sounds and Jonghyun comes in.  He always picks up coffee before he comes in.  The girls turn around and he waves with his free hand.  "Goodmorning," he says.
    "Goodmorning," they both say shyly.
    "Finally," Key says, holding out a hand.  Grinning, Jonghyun hands him his special Mocha Sprinkle something or other.  After taking a sip, he says, "These girls want to know if we have any books on magic.  Did we get anything new in?"
    He hands me my regular blonde coffee with two pumps of liquid sugar, then faces the girls.  "Actually, we did.  Do you two have any experience?"  His expression is serious, but you can tell he's playing.
    One of them say, "I read one of my cousin's wiccan books, but I don't consider myself wiccan.  I..."  When she realizes they're all paying attention she looks down.  So cute.  She looks up again and says, "I'm um... eclectic."
    "So, you are intuitive," Key says.  "A natural witch.  You create your own magic?"
    She nods and looks expectant.  If they've come here without their parents, as most young people do, most likely their parents don't approve of them practicing witchcraft.  Most of them think it's devil worshipping, which is, as his grandmother says, a load of hogwash.  And who are they to put a damper on someone who may actually have the ability to do magic?  "You know what," I say.
    "Today we're doing a special.  I'll give you a book on the practice of visualization.  It's good for seasoned and beginner witches.  Once you start practicing magic you need to keep yourself grounded.  That way your powers don't get out of control."
I lean on the counter and give them a serious look.  "You want to hone your abilities to the best of your knowledge, right?  And knowledge is power."
    Both of their eyes have widened and they simultaneously nod.  "Good.  Jonghyun here will show you where the books are and the free one."  I smiled.
Jonghyun leads them to the back of the shop and I look at the box full of herbs Minho has sat down.
    "You big softy," Key says.
    I shrug and open the top.  "Who knows, they might actually be able to do magic.  I had someone to help me out.  They don't."
    "Hey, we should make one of those stones to show rather people have magic or not," Taemin says.  I jump, because one second he'd been between shelves and the next he's right there.  I glare.  "Sorry, I keep forgetting."
    Minho and I have bottled a handfull of vials with peices of vanilla beans and a few screw top containers with anise seeds and tyme leaves, when Jonghyun brings the girls back.  Key rings them up and gives them a baggy each with candy in it.  "Have a nice Halloween," he says.
    They turn back and wave.  "Happy Halloween.  Thank you," they say.  Looking excited, they leave the shop.
    "How cute," Jonghyun says.  Taemin nods, steals two peices of Minho's pizza and goes back to the shelves.
    "You to," I say, pointing at him.  "Do not get grease on the merchandise."
    Minho snorts and continues bottling ingredients.  I sigh and give up, also stealing a peice of pizza.

*****

A Typical Night
    SELLING THE GIRLS BOOKS has been the highlight of the day.  We usually close at six, but during October we close at eight.  We don't work the whole twelve hours.  Our break (we called it the Intermission) is from twelve to three.  It's also made easier do to the fact that I live above the shop.
    An apartment, that used to be an ok size for one person has become much bigger since Key moved in.  On the outside it looks normal, but on the inside there are six bedrooms, each with an elegant bathroom (with two sinks, a tub and a walk in shower), a dining room, the kitchen has developed an island and the appliances have increased in size and quality.  It all still has the quaint themed design, which would be unnacceptable otherwise.  Taemin and Minho live thirty minutes away in an underground tunnel, which isn't creepy like it sounds.  It looks like a real house down there - minus as much light and they use sheets to close off spaces.
    Minho owns the tunnel, so they don't have to worry so much about intruders.  Two ways in and two ways out, and they check the locks every day.  Vampires, what can you really do?
    My shoes make a clunk sound as I go up the stairs.  I'm ready to sit down, eat and watch bad early night TV.  I go through the already open door and stop in the kitchen.  Key is at the table with a plate of cut up fruit in front of him, catching up on the days lost reading time of Witches Weekly.  He'd been unable to finish it, because around nine business had picked up, and after our Intermission when he'd taken a nap, it hadn't slowed down.
    It had been fun seeing people in costumes, and it's always felt nice to know my grandmother's bath and body recipes were selling.  She always took pride in her work and I feel honored to keep it going.  I open the refrigerator and grab a bottle of chocolate milk.  "I can tell Taemin's been in here again," I say.
    Key looks up, with a strawberry poised in front of his mouth.  "He stocked the refrigerator with flavored milks, again?"
    "Yup."  I shut the door and appreciate that seperating plastic sound as I open the new chocolate milk bottle.  It's Troo Moo, which is the only type of chocolate milk I'll drink, so I always savor the thick creamy texture.  It's also not syrupy or grainy like other chocolate milks.  It wouldn't surprise me if it puts other companies out of business.
    If that happens I won't complain.
    Jonghyun comes up a few minutes later and shuts the door.  "All locked up and ready for a new day," he says.  He hands me the keys and takes the jug of whole milk out of the refrigerator.  After I'd caught him drinking out of the jug I'd put my foot down and made him start buying his own.  I like two percent and he likes whole milk, so there hadn't been a problem.  
    His jug has a red cap and mine has a dark blue cap, I can tell the difference and he no longer drinks from my jug - problem solved.
After pouring a large glass, Jonghyun sits at the table and takes large gulps.  He lowers the glass and I snort at his milk mustache.  He grins and wipes it away.  "Man, I wished I had more pizza," he says.
    "Speaking of pizza," I say.  "Minho threw that box from this morning away, didn't he?"
    He shrugs.  "I didn't see it when I locked up, so probably."
    I sigh.  "Alright."
    We didn't order pizza, but Key did make a large chicken salad.  I used to hate salad and maybe it's the way he prepares the meat, but now it's tolerable.  Strangely, I sometimes even crave it.  Our meal is enjoyed in the living room, on the floor, propped with pillows against the couch.  It's become something like a ritual for us.  Most nights Taemin and Minho are here.  Tonight they'd left to go play Laser-Tag.
    I'd been a couple times and it's fun.  Those two, especially Minho are two of the most competitive people I know.  Taemin wants to be the best, so practices himself to death.  Minho wants to win, so sulks when he doesn't, and comes at you harder the next time.  He can be scary and the vampire element doesn't help any.  I refuse to play anything having to do with speed or strength with them, for obvious reasons, but video, card, and board games are anybodies business.
    Bring it.
    I fall asleep on the couch.  When I wake up it's still dark.  The light from my cellphone is bright when I check it.  It's three in the morning.  I close it and put it on the couch.
    The house is quiet as I go to the kitchen.  Tap water is horrible, so I always keep bottled water in the refrigerator.  I grab one and go back to the couch.  The TV's been muted.  As I sip from my water bottle I stare at it blankely.
    It's always been like this for me.  Go to sleep, wake up a few hours later, if I can't go back to sleep I make a glass of warm milk.  It usually helps.  Also a habit I picked up from my grandmother.  Can't you tell I spent a lot of time with her?
    She and I just click.  My mother and I get along, but with her and most people I seem odd, and I'm clumsy.  It's easy for people to write you off if you aren't the boring normal.  Normal's not a real thing.  Besides, I think most people are boring, so there.
    One for me and none for them.  This is the part where I stick my tongue out and make a childish nanana noise.
    I do end up making a glass of warm milk and it does the trick.

*****

Double Double, Toil and Trouble, but not really?
    THE NEXT MORNING, I wake up to the smell of magic induced smoke.  The difference between regular smoke and smoke caused by magic is the smell.  Magic smoke comes with the scent of herbs, and there's a certain tingle sensation I get on my arms.  With my eyes still closed I sigh.  This can only mean one thing.  Key's trying to teach Taemin how to brew a potion.
    Taemin's as bad with potions as I am with spells - well, worse, actually.  At least my spells don't make things explode.  I open my eyes and look at the ceiling.
    "I told you to add two drops," I hear Key say from the kitchen.  "Not three."  There's a smack sound.
    "I didn't mean to," Taemin says defensively.  "It just slipped out.  This dropper is too loose.  It doesn't work right."
    I hear a Shh sound from Minho.  Where is Jonghyun?  I hear a loud laugh and let out a breath in amusement.  There he is.  Feeling bemused, I sit up and then shuffle towards the kitchen.
    Minho's eyes meet mine first.  His are wide and he says, "I told them to be quiet."
    "It's alright."  My voice had come out deeper than usual from sleep.  I clear it and say, "I'm used to it.  You'd think with all Key can do, he'd be able to soundproof the rooms."  Ok, so I can be grouchy when I'm woken up by loudness.  As I shuffle around them I hear Key scoff.
    "I haven't found a spell for that, yet," he says in offense.
    I ignore him and grab a bottle of chocolate milk.  My mom once told me I should've been born a girl, with how much I like chocolate.  I argued it's only chocolate milk.  Me being a girl - I think not.  Thinking about losing certain parts of my anatomy freaks me out worse than my reflection talking to me.
    There's some things you just don't say to a guy, and I'm pretty sure females feel the same way.  As I slowly drink my chocolate milk I watch Key go through another round of teaching Taemin how to brew a potion.  I don't recognize the ingredients, so they have to be from Key's greenhouse.  When he'd come to the mortal world he'd brought seeds to recreate his garden here.  I wander about the effectiveness of his ingredients to the ones here.
    I'd eventually ask him about it.  I just haven't gotten to it, yet.
    This time Taemin only adds two drops of liquid and the potion doesn't react badly.  It bubbles, steam curls beautifully over the edges of the little cauldron, and Key smiles.
    "Now, add the Lemoede Leaves and say the spell," he says.
    Taemin nods and picks up two bright green, large leaves.  They are that new green plants get when they're budding.  Their size say they're older, though.  Since I don't know anything about their world I can't tell you if they're young or not.  With a large metal spoon, Taemin carefully presses the leaves further in.
    "Come night, come shadow, bring light," he said.  He stirs the vat three times and repeats it.  After repeating it all two more times he says, "Mote it be."
    I love witnessing an effectively executed potion, so when it changes a sun shade of yellow my eyes widen, my heart beat speeds up, and I get goosebumps on my arms.  I can't look away as Taemin fills a tall glass bottle of it.  "What is it," I say destractedly.
    "It's bottled light," Taemin says.  "And I actually pulled it off."
    Key sighs and says, "Finally."
    I hear Jonghyun snicker.
    "What's it for," I say.
    Key pulls the bottles lever down to seal the rubber cork.  "It's kind of like those glow necklaces mortals use during celebrations."
    "Except it doesn't taste bad," Taemin says.
    I look at him in shock.  "Please tell me you didn't try the stuff in glow sticks," I say.
    He looks at me, blinks repeatedly in confusion, looks at Minho whose covering his face and shaking his head, and then back at me.  "I did.  I was curious."
    "Taemin, that stuff is poisonous."
    His eyes widen.  "Really?"  Pinching his bottom lip, he looks down.  His expression brightens and he looks back at me.  "The bottled light tastes like fizzle soda."
    This time it's Key who covers his face.  "Soda already fizzles," he says.  "It's the carbonation.  And bottled light makes you glow in the dark."
    "It's not poisonous," I ask.
    He uncovers his face and shakes his head.  "No."  Sending a glare in Taemin's direction he says, "Thankfully.  It's a good thing he has a vampire's immune system.  I don't even want to know what other poisonous things he's tasted."
    I snort.  When he glares at me, rubbing the back of my hair I look away.  The last thing I want to do today is piss him off.  I feel more awake now, the sun is up, and it's Sunday, our only day off.  At least until November.  I miss the days when I close early and have two days off.
    Monday, my least favorite day, and Sunday, the day where absolutely nothing happens and no one goes anywhere besides church.  Growing up, my version of church had been going to the weekly bonfire for people like me, my mother, and grandmother.  It's a community I'm still a part of.  They'd all grown up in the mortal world, but none of them have active powers like me.  Telekenesis and Pyrokenesis used to be the bane of my existence, but eventually added to the fun in the festivities.
    I can move chopped wood and start a fire like no ones business.
    "Has everyone packed your bags," Jonghyun says.
    I look at him, momentarily confused, then remember.  We're supposed to go to Reince Feild, their world, tomorrow.  For over a year we've discussed becoming our own Coven.  There's been much debate.  Minho despises his old Coven, for good reason.
    Coven's terrify Taemin, also for good reason.  Key's never belonged to a Coven or solid group at all, before us.  Jonghyun hasn't either, and where Key goes, he goes.  I've known plenty of witches, even a guy who resonts with the word wizard, instead of witch, and I still haven't been in a Coven.  There's been mention of Covens being too strict, or evil, or controlling - you can guess whose said each thing.
    I'm not in to forcing people to do anything or even trying to talk them in to it.  If they're not comfortable, then I just let it be.  Jonghyun'd brought up the fact that we don't need set rules, that we're not a society like coven, like the snobby ancient ones in Reince Feild.  I'd agreed and said that we just keep being us.  If doing the ritual that'll announce to the universe our bonding as a Coven happens, we'll word it the way we want.
    We'll do it our way.  This had made a difference in opinion.  By the end of it, though, Jonghyun had been weirded out by the word Coven.  He's a shapeshifter and felt it traitorous to fall under a category his culture didn't like.  They'd thrown around words like Pack and Tribe, but each one didn't sit right with someone.
    Pack is for wolves, a different kind of shapeshifter.  Tribe is for vampires.  And the worst one had been Bond Mates.  To me, it wigged me out, because Minho and Taemin are Lifemates, as in, together-together.  Key and Jonghyun are together in their Fae-Shapeshifter way.
    I'm not like that with either of them, it had just felt just a little too intimate for my taste, and not to mention I grew up in the mortal world, so all of it felt wrong.  In the end we'd agreed to announce as friends who stuck together.  We'd consider ourself a magical group, and not call it anything.  The end.
    By now, you're probably thinking something along the lines of What The Hell, but you have to understand - we want to make our way in the world without being put in boxes, or taking on labels.  We want to do it our way, and leave it fluid enough to change when it needs to be.  If everyone did that, the world would be a much happier place.

*****

Sunday, The Day Where Nothing Happens
    I TAKE A SHOWER and spend my morning lazing around, watching TV, munching on various cereals and fruits.  It's noonish before I decide to do anything considered even close to useful.  I straighten up the DVD's under the TV.  A little cleaning usually leads to more cleaning and before I realize it I've changed sheets on my bed, cleaned the bathroom, vacuumed all of the throw-down carpets, and cleaned the refrigerator.  Feeling accomplished, I take another shower and head downstairs to go through inventory.
    It's kept in a storage room behind the stairs.  Jonghyun's been doing a good job of keeping it dusted and organized.  Depending on business, I get shipements one to two times a month.  It's mostly ingredients for candles, how-to magic books, and fiction novels for children and adults.  I'd also started ordering different types of journals.
    My grandmother had only bought large tan or black ones with aged pages, but I'd moderately modernized.  I can't tell you how many magnetic topped journals with hearts on it I'd sold in the last year.  I'd also started selling regular blue and black ball-point pens.  Only true lovers of the craft purchased quills these days.  Not that I mourn their loss.
I use normal pens to.  A lot of them.  I journal, draw, use them for every day purposes, like shopping lists, etc.  A lesson in passion and business - you have to keep the spirit of the place alive, while also appealing to the customers.  How easy is it for someone to stop in and by a cheap pack of pens, when otherwise they'd have to travel an extra block for them?
    See, smart buiz sense there.
    After checking Key's elegantly written inventory list, I get what I need and begin restocking.  It takes about an hour.  When I'm finished my fingers itch to open shop, but it's my one day off.  Like I said, passion, and I have it for what I do.  I don't want to be anywhere else, doing anything else.  I go back upstairs and close the door.
Minus the TV, the apartment is quiet.  Earlier, I'd been busy cleaning, so I don't know where the others are.  They'll eventually resurface, and bring all their noise with them.  At least they'd cleaned up the potion stuff in the kitchen.  "What to do, what to do," I whisper, tapping my right index finger on my pant leg.
    I could practice magic.  "But what to do specifically?"  I guess, a little candle action is in order.  After retrieving ten candles, I line them up on the kitchen floor.  The good thing with me is, I never need a lighter.  I kneel in front of the first one and send my focus inwards, reaching for the vision of flames I'd stored when I'd mastered visualization.
    I saw it's flickering gold and orange, felt it's heat from a safe distance.  Carefully, I let it combine with me.  When it felt right I visualized warmth and safety.  Then I visualized the reason for candles.  How the sight either excited or comforted people, and if they were therapeutic, even healed them.
    Doing this set the parameter for my flame.  It can do no less and no more than what I want it to.  Like clock-work, the first candle lit, then the second and onwards.  I smile and watch them flicker.  It's possible I may have become a bit of a pyromaniac over the years.
    Can you really blame me?  I can create fire with my mind.
    The flames became wider and turn purple.  I scowl.  Key can't create fire, but he can manimulate it.  I look over and see him peeking around the hall.  "You been in your room this whole time," I ask.
    "Yeah."  He leaves the hall to stand beside me.  Looking at the candles he says, "You still got it."
    I smirk.  "I know."
    He makes a noise between a snicker and a snort, which means he appreciates the comment.  Confidence is key - get it, Key?
    "Where are the others?"
    "Jonghyun's taking a nap... still," he says.  "Minho and Taemin said something about a new food truck they wanted to try out, but that was like two hours ago, so who knows."
    I let out a little laugh.  "For vampires those two eat a lot.  I don't know where they put it.  Taemin's a stick and Minho's not much bigger."
    "You're telling me, but look at Jonghyun.  He's smaller than both of them, in height and width, and he can keep up with them."
    I cringe.  "I think I'd die if I ate as much as them."
    "Me to."
    We both laugh.
    I stand up and move my hand in front of me.  The candles extinguish.  Trying to get candle wax off of anything is a , so I leave them there to harden back up.  Key follows me to the living room where we watch more DVD's.  You're probably starting to see a pattern here.
    I agree.  I do need to get out and do more.  During October I just don't have the time and what little time I do have, I spend doing nothing.  I need the rest, even if I don't always want it.

Second Chapter Coming Soon!
NOTE:  I plan on combining this with an Exo Halloween story.  They're all going to meet up in Reince Feild.  There'll be XiuHan&Chen + Kaisoo.  Xiumin is a Witch, Luhan is a Wolf Shapeshifter, and Chen is Xiumin's Familiar and shifts in to a cat.  Jongin is a Vampire and D.O. is a vampire still adjusting to the change.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THIS STORY:  I have always loved those witchy stories where there are different magical species, and witches can turn stuff in to toads and fly.  I've also always loved telekenesis and pyrokenesis, and who better to have those abilities than Jinki?  Plus, Jinki failing at spells and Taemin failing at potions amuses me.  I've also always loved a witch who has a loyal Familiar, and who better to be a Self Deemed Familiar than Jonghyun to Key?  Also, 2Min completes me. 
Haha.  I also love the changing hair element, and the magic shop element, the herbs and cauldrons and bath and body stuff.  I love going in places like that.  Basically, I wrote this story totally based on my preferences, while wanting to give you a Halloween story.  ^^  Plus, I've always wanted to have a SHINee/Exo Crossover.
What's your favorite element and/or character in the story?