: final

lights low
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

a/n: new and improved version!

 

lights low
a taekook fanfic

 

*please play music when prompted*

 

 

The first thing Namjoon notices when he steps into the waiting room was the loud and horrendous attempt of aegyo from his fellow rappers. He shoots Yoongi a questioning look — Hoseok was busy squawking and making a fool of himself to notice — and the elder gives a shrug and an I-will-tell-you later look before joining Hoseok and making ugly faces to...a stone-like Jimin?

That's weird.

His eyebrows furrowed at the lack of enthusiasm but quickly shrugged it off. Maybe Jimin is tired more than usual. It was normal to be tensed and perplex, considering they had been preparing for a concert in a few weeks now. If it was, then why does he feel so anxious and troubled?

That's when he notices the lack of presence of a yelling and complaining Seokjin and a quiet Taehyung and Jungkook in the opposite corners of the room with earbuds stuffed in and music blasting away.

Wait...

A quiet and separated Taehyung and Jungkook?

Now, that’s the first.

The frown deeps just as he scans the two youngest boys, noticing Jungkook's shoulders were hunched forward, head down with his chocolate brown locks covering his face. His hands were fidgeting with the ring on his index finger. Taehyung, on the other hand, held a straight face, the white earbuds in his ear emitting music.

He throws the older 95-liner a look, half expecting Jimin to at least move. Jimin has yet to move, not even an inch. What on earth is going on?

Namjoon's train of thoughts stops when he hears Yoongi's voice.

"Hey Namjoon," His eyes skeeted over towards Yoongi and Hoseok at the door. "You want a drink?"

"Coke, please."

"Okay."

There were a few shuffles before the door closes.

Great. More silence.

Namjoon shifts uncomfortably on the leather couch, throwing the three young members every so now and then. He tries to distract himself with a book, but all efforts were futile. He knew something is wrong with the vocal line, the thick blankets of tension hovering over their heads like rain clouds indicated something, but none of them were talking.

He was going to say something, words at the tip of his tongue when the door clicks open and Namjoon had to fight the urge to cringe at how terrible Seokjin looks. The elder member was a living corpse; his face was drained out of color, skin dull, and sunken eyes.

"Jimin," Seokjin's soft-voice echo in the quiet room. "Can you find Yoongi and tell him and Hoseok that practice is at eight evening?"

Jimin hasn't moved, but his eyes betrayed his empty face. It was almost a photograph, a still image filled with unsaid emotions and feelings, save it for the muted music in the background. Namjoon's eyes flickered back and forth between the two elder vocalists. And what seems like centuries later, Jimin finally got up from his seat and exit the room without a word.

The door clicks.

He can feel Seokjin's eyes linger on him.

"Joonie," the singer says.

Namjoon looks up at the elder. "Yes?"

His round eyes soften, cheeks flush. "We need to talk."

Namjoon smiles and sets the book aside. He slides his hand into the elder and walks him towards the door.

"Of course."

 

XXX

 

Outside the door, everyone is accounted for except for the two youngest members. It was awkward to say at least. Seokjin followed Namjoon out like a puppy, and Jimin is practically glued to Yoongi, his small hand latching onto the older's shirt.

"Care to explain why Jimin, Taehyung, and Jungkook are acting like this?" Namjoon jabs a thumb at the closed door. "Our concert is happening within a few days, and no one had come up to me to explain this issue."

Hoseok lets out a grunt as he passes the coke bottle towards Namjoon, which he gladly took. "Me and Yoongi hyung know nothing of this," Hoseok says, eyebrows furrowing at the clingy Jimin at Yoongi's side. "We walked in and Chim Chim was already worked up like this."

Namjoon twists the cap and takes a few gulps before letting an "and the other two?"

"That's not our business, Namjoon," Seokjin butts in.

"Hyung."

Seokjin sighs and looks down.

"This isn't my place to tell you, but on behalf of Jimin and the younger boys, you know how Taehyung and Jungkook are dating right?" Namjoon lets hums in response. The whole company knew; it wasn't much of a surprise when they came out to the group and the company. They were young, flexible, and practically inseparable.

"Well," Seokjin pauses and bites his bottom lip. "Jimin told me that Taehyung wants to make a surprise proposal at the concert."

The rappers in a sharp breath. Namjoon wasn't worried about his two younger boys getting married. It was the fact that Korean culture isn't fond of the LGBT community. He didn't want the boys to be hurt by coming out publically and lose countless of fans and earning rude comments from those who opposed.

"What?"

"Yeah," Seokjin replies, pulling on the hem of his pink hoodie. "According to Jimin, Taehyung and Jungkook were told by the company to separate until the coast is clear."

Yeah, being a leader sure is a lot of work.

Namjoon slowly fell into deep thoughts.

Of course, Namjoon knew that most of their international and some domestic fans would gladly support their ships, or whatever they were called, without any problem. He is glad for that kind of support, that even when events were in a pinch, fans were quick to notice the subtle touches and quick glances, the back hugs and lingering touches, the matching rings and bracelets. And no matter how many times Taehyung and Jungkook were told to separate, fans were still able to say that their eyes hold longing gazes and playful grins. Even when distance separated them, their eyes do not lie about the spark of admiration.

But he also knew that homouality is a sensitive topic for most people, especially Asians. Asians are generally conservative, and like in any Asian countries, Korea looks down upon the LGBT community. Sure, ual activities were allowed, but the topic of any form of legal documentation such as marriage was not. There were many consequences of why coming out is a gamble, and their second youngest was willing to take for the couple's relationship — proposing and marrying and all of that shebang.

How are their fans going to react?

Either they gained the respect of their fans, or they lose them in one night.

Even with BigHit trying to protect them, Namjoon knew that once Taehyung made up his mind, there was no changing the vocalist's mind.

The leader sighs. "I'm in."

Seokjin blinks. Jimin cracks a smile.

"For real?"

"Yes."

Hoseok cheered. Yoongi follows, a protective arm around Jimin. "For Taekook?"

They all grin.

"For Taekook."

 

XXX

 

Today is the concert.

There were about three hours to kill before the actual program starts; the make-up noonas attacking the other members' face with a powder puff, and Jungkook is a crazy mess; skin ghostly pale, eyes wild and dilated, and sweaty brown hair plastered to his forehead.

Jungkook sits on a nearby stool, waiting for one of the older ladies to come and fix his face, and stiffens at the wary look from the PDs around the set. "Remember," the words of Bang PD ringing clear in his ears. "You and Taehyung must separate from the time being. I don't need to clear up a scandal because fans are assuming things."

"But it wasn't an assumption," Jungkook wanted to say but those words never came out. Now, he and Taehyung had to pay the price. Jungkook snuck a glance at his boyfriend.

Standing in all his glory with ashy brown locks and grey contacts was his handsome Taehyung.

And Jungkook really, really wants to kiss Taehyung senseless.

But he can't.

Jungkook looks down at the dusty behind the set floors and nibbles on his bottom lip. His hands clenched into fists in his lap. Jungkook feels his core trembling, overwhelmed with sudden realization. It hurts to know that his job as an entertainer comes before his feelings. And before Jungkook knew it, he lowered his head as fresh tears sprung from his eyes.

Damn. Why was he crying?

The brunet doesn't even know himself.

Alert and wild thoughts entered the singer's mind. 'What if' questions appeared left and right. What if they were ordinary human beings? What if there were no fans, no agency, no nasty remarks everywhere they go? What if there was no V? No BTS Jungkook? What if they were two regular college students?

What if they were just Kim Taehyung and Jeon Jungkook?

A choked sob came out of his mouth, and Jungkook lets the salty tears drip down his cold skin and onto his fisted hands be his answer.

 

XXX

 

Jungkook was too preoccupied up with his thoughts to realize that his boyfriend Taehyung had been watching him, excused himself and walked over. Shiny black shoes halted next to his and before Jungkook could react, warm hands cup his cold tear-stained cheeks. Jungkook gave Taehyung a quizzical look through his wet lashes before ducking down.

Why are you here?

"Kookie, my love" he hears the rich, soothing tone of his lover. "Why are you crying?"

When the Jungkook refuses to look up, Taehyung smiles fondly at his adorable Kookie sighs and continues to rub the pad of thumb along the cold skin, wiping the leaking tears that continue to run down his baby's cheeks quietly.

"What's wrong, jagiya?"

Darn it.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter