one

realism

 

“Okay, girls. Take a break for five minutes!”

 

Relieved sighs are heard immediately once that’s announced by their very own dance teacher. The ten girls are then seen sprawled all over the practice room, exhaustion clearly taking over their bodies.

 

Eunwoo is basically passed out by now, probably. Jieqiong is sitting right by her, catching her breaths in peace. Siyeon decides to take over the few chairs available in the room. Somehow, Sungyeon manages to still stand on her two feet? The others are wondering how she does that themselves but there she is, practicing some dance moves quietly to herself in front of the mirror.

 

The rest are headed over to get a few drinks of water, to energize them for the next half an hour. Groans of satisfaction are heard as they take their sips.

 

Minkyung is simply leaning against the wall, her eyes closed. Yebin is right beside her, with her head leaning on the older girl’s shoulder. They’re in silence, not a single word is spoken.

 

Jieqiong never fails to look at them and starts smirking to herself. She then nudged Eunwoo who is still flat on the floor, “hey, look at those two,” she says.

 

Eunwoo uses all of her remaining energy to look up (or else Jieqiong would definitely smack her and she most definitely doesn’t want that) and she isn’t surprised, to say the least, “them? You know that’s nothing new.”

 

“They look adorable, though,”

 

“That, I can’t deny.”

 

“Break’s over! Hurry up now!” the dance teacher says, clapping her hands together.

 

Eunwoo sighs, “I literally want to die.”

 

Jieqiong looks at her and laughs.

 

Yebin notices that Minkyung probably dozed off because she sees her breathings are stable. She really doesn’t want to wake the older girl but what other choices does she have? If they don’t get up now the whole team will be punished and that’s far worse.

 

So she gently pats Minkyung’s cheeks, “unnie, it’s time to go back to practising,” she urges.

 

Minkyung slowly opens her eyes. She scans her surroundings before finally stopping her sight at Yebin and she smiles lazily, “okay, let’s go.”

 

A few seconds later all ten girls are lined up and the music blasts which marks the second part of their practice for the day.

 

 

“You’ve all worked hard!!”

 

They exchanged bows and the lights in the room are turned off one by one. The atmosphere begins to dim.

 

Yebin is about to take hold of Minkyung’s hand as she’s the first member she sees but she gets interrupted by Kyungwon, who was a second faster than her.

 

“Hey, you hungry? Let’s grab dinner,” Kyungwon offers with her hand stuck out, expecting for Minkyung’s.

 

Yebin resents herself for being too slow.

 

“Sure,” Minkyung accepts as she grabs Kyungwon’s hand.

 

Kyungwon grins and turns so she’s facing the remaining members, “guys, we’re going out to eat! Don’t lock the door early!” she warns.

 

“Have fun with your little date!” Yewon teases, which causes the others to join her.

 

“The 97-liners are back at it again, I see,” Siyeon exclaims.

 

Jieqiong snaps, “yah, you never ask me to eat out with you these days,” she glares at Eunwoo.

 

Eunwoo only stuck her tongue out, which earned her a slap (thank God it didn’t hurt as much).

 

Minkyung feels embarrassed and senses Kyungwon to get the same feeling so she quickly ushers her to leave before things get out of hand, “we’ll be going then!” she says as she looks at every member before shuffling towards the door.

 

Yebin swears that Minkyung’s eyes never landed on hers, and she feels left out.

 

 

Yebin always knew she’s had pent up jealousy inside her, but she never once thought it was this fatal.

 

She doesn’t remember how it all started, how it succumbed to this. To her feeling restless, hopeless. She feels pathetic, mostly. Also anxious because she knows she isn’t supposed to feel this way.

 

Perhaps it has gotten obvious, because Eunwoo is suddenly lying beside her on the bed now, despite not uttering a word.

 

She wants to ask why, but at the same time she doesn’t.

 

They’re both lying on their backs now with almost no space between their bodies. It’s a single bed after all and they’ve done it countless of times. It’s more of a shock for Yebin if Eunwoo doesn’t every other night.

 

Eunwoo finally breaks the silence, “you’re thinking about what they could possibly be doing at some random near restaurant, aren’t you?”

 

Right where it hits. Yebin sighs. There’s no use hiding stuff. Not with Eunwoo, her best friend of five years and counting.

 

Eunwoo turns so she’s facing her, “I can assure you that they’re just eating because, well, they were hungry,” she chuckles.

 

Yebin chuckles along, but she knows deep down it wasn’t all that sincere. She prays to God Eunwoo doesn’t notice.

 

“.. and probably crack jokes here and there, you know how Kyungwon’s just the prankster she is,”

 

Yebin frowns adorably, “you’re not helping!”

 

“Hey, I’m only saying what’s true! She makes all of us laugh,” Eunwoo defends herself.

 

Yebin hums, simply because Eunwoo is right.

 

“Jieqiong is starting to notice, you know,” Eunwoo says suddenly.

 

“Really?” Yebin asks, surprised.

 

“She may look clueless but she’s not. She’s pretty observant once she feels comfortable in a given place.”

 

Yebin smirks, “as expected, you know her the best, don’t you?”

 

“W-what do you mean?”

 

“Nothing.” Yebin giggles.

 

Eunwoo hits her shoulder, “I’m just saying what happened earlier!”

 

Yebin’s laughter fades and she nods her head slowly, “I know, Eunwoo. I sometimes see it too,”

 

“If you keep this up, the others will start to notice too,”

 

Yebin scoots closer, “what am I supposed to do? I don’t know what to do, Eunwoo..”

 

Eunwoo sighs and rests her hand on the small of Yebin’s waist, “I don’t know either.. but I hope things will get better for you. We’ll figure this out together,” she decides.

 

Yebin breaks out into a genuine smile, “okay.”

 

 

Yebin finally wakes up, thanks to the blaring sunlight hitting her face.

 

She slowly opens her eyes and scans her surroundings. She feels a somewhat heavy weight on her right arm, and is not surprised to see that it’s just half of Eunwoo’s face laid there. She chuckles and slowly lifts her face, being careful not to wake her up.

 

She swears she heard a mumble coming from the other girl, but decided to brush it off.

 

She then stands on her two feet and starts shuffling out of the room, towards the living room. While on the way there, she expects her eyes to witness for the worst.

 

But in actuality, it isn’t all that bad. At least, better than what she expected.

 

She sees Minkyung on the couch, lightly snoring (which she finds cute as hell) and all curled up like a giant soft ball (which is also cute as hell).

 

Hell, everything Kim Minkyung does is cute to Kang Yebin.

 

The worst case scenario she didn’t want to witness is seeing Minkyung on the couch with Kyungwon. The thought itself could bring Yebin back to her old high school emo days. Gosh, she does not want that at all.

 

She goes back to her room to retrieve her blanket so she could use it to cover Minkyung. She lowkey panicked when the latter starts moving, but is relieved when she hears that contented sigh coming out from her. She pats the older girl’s cheek and starts walking towards the kitchen.

 

 

Minkyung wakes up to the sounds of plates clashing one another. She rubs her eyes and slowly sits up on the couch. She is confused to feel the blanket lying on top of her body. Weird, I don’t remember having this blanket with me last night.

 

She dismisses the thought and has her vision set to the kitchen table. She counts the number of members currently there. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8..

 

“There’s only 8 people,” she talks to herself quietly.

 

She begins to worry until she sees the last member approaching the others, hair tied up in a neat ponytail. She smiles.

 

There she is.

 

 

“Hey, you okay?” Eunwoo says to Yebin as she reaches for the set of spoons and forks.

 

“Huh? Oh, yeah, I’m good,” Yebin flashes a reassuring smile, spreading peanut butter on the toasts she has prepared earlier for her members. Since she was the one who woke up the earliest, she decided that it wouldn’t hurt to do some good once in a while.

 

“I still can’t believe you woke up early today,” Nayoung expressed, taking her seat beside Jieqiong who’s already on her second toast of the morning.

 

“Tell me about it,” Jieqiong snickers.

 

“Yah!” Yebin warns with a fork raised, acting as if she would poke Jieqiong with it.

 

Kyungwon then appears out of nowhere, “whoa there, calm down,” she says while taking the fork off Yebin’s hand, “let’s all just have a peaceful breakfast for once, yeah?”

 

This time, it’s Siyeon’s turn to come out of her room, “did I just hear the word ‘peace’? Really? In this household?” she fakes a sigh, “I must have been dreaming.”

 

Yebin grins victoriously, “the kid says the truth,”

 

Kyungwon shrugs, “well, we still have the other kid to argue with my point,” she takes a toast and bites on it.

 

Siyeon pats on Kyungwon’s shoulder apologetically, “I’m afraid she isn’t awake yet unnie, which means you have lost this argument,”

 

“Damn it!”

 

“No cursing on the kitchen table!”

 

And just like that, everyone turns silent.

 

The power of the leader of the household…

 

“Did you say something?”

 

Eunwoo freaks out, she wasn’t aware that she just said that out loud, “n-nothing Nayoung unnie!”

 

 

Unluckily enough, Minkyung got up from the couch just when Yebin was done eating her breakfast.

 

Yebin notices this of course, but tries not to think about it too much.

 

She’s quietly washing the dishes when she feels someone coming up behind her.

 

“I heard you made breakfast today. Thanks,” Minkyung says softly as she places her head to lean on Yebin’s shoulder. Her hand almost wrapping the younger’s waist.

 

Yebin tries her best not to sound too nervous, “it’s no problem. You should eat it fast before it gets cold,”

 

Minkyung hums and slowly gets off. Yebin finally breathes out, she felt like she was about to die.

 

Eunwoo, who saw the whole thing from the end of the kitchen table, has never felt more amused in her life.

 

 

Yebin is practically being dragged to her room right now, by no other than her own best friend.

 

“What is up with you? Stop dragging me!”

 

“Sshh! Just follow me and look at what I have to show you, okay?”

 

Yebin sighs defeatedly, “fine.”

 

They reach the room and Yebin watches as Eunwoo walks to her bed. She sees her practically digging through her pillow case, in search of something.

 

“Found it!” Eunwoo exclaims excitedly, lifting a piece of old photograph up in the air.

 

It peaks her curiosity, “what’s that?” Yebin asks.

 

Eunwoo quickly stops Yebin from her tracks, “hold on, go lock the door first,”

 

“You’re being hella weird right now I’m actually terrified,” she blurts out.

 

Eunwoo rolls her eyes, “just do it!”

 

Yebin gives in and goes to press the door lock. A soft click is heard, “there, I locked it,”

 

Eunwoo grins, “good.”

 

“So, what is it?”

 

“Just a trip down memory lane.”

 

“Wait, what do you mea-“

 

Yebin’s string of sentence is cut when she realizes the piece of photograph being held in front of her.

 

“Wow..” she says subconsciously.

 

Eunwoo chuckles, “I know.”

 

 

It’s their off day today and Minkyung is left all alone in the dorm. It’s not like she didn’t ask for this, but felt like she needed this time alone for whatever reasons.

 

She ultimately turns off the tv when she found nothing amusing for her to watch to pass time. The silence starts engulfing her. She can literally hear the ticking sound of the clock hung on the wall. She sighs. She thinks. She thinks of someone. A person appears in her mind. But that person is not alone. She frowns.

 

It doesn’t take a genius to notice that Yebin has been spending a lot less time with her lately and a lot more time with Eunwoo instead.

 

She knows she has no right to feel upset, but she is. She denied it when it first happened but now she can’t anymore. She wonders how it happened. What she did wrong. When she did wrong. In the end, she hasn’t a single clue.

 

Maybe it’s just all in her head, she thinks one day. Maybe..

 

Her feet somehow drag her to Yebin’s room. She’s at the doorstep now. She’s contemplating but she goes for it anyway. She twists the doorknob and opens the door.

 

“Looks like she didn’t do her bed today,” she says to no one in particular and smiles to herself.

 

She goes to the owner’s bed and folds the sprawled out blankets. She takes hold of the pillows to place them at the top of the bed neatly. She reaches for the blue pillow that she knows all too well and feels something unusual. It was pointing, almost poking out of the pillow case.

 

She sticks in her hand into the pillow case and finally got hold of the mysterious thing.

 

She gets it out, the back of a random photograph garnering her sight. There was nothing on it except for a small but visible handwriting at the bottom right of the photograph.

 

7th November 2012.

1st Anniversary, Han River.

 

“It’s 2017 now. That’s.. a long time ago,”

 

She turns the photograph to look at the picture, and is shocked for her life.

 

She accidentally drops the photograph to the floor, her hands shaking.

 

In the photograph is a picture of Yebin kissing another girl.

 

And that girl is Eunwoo.

 

 

 

 

 



a/n: so, should i continue with this?