Chapter One

Missed Call

Hyejin walked into her first class of the week unceremoniously despite the current debate with herself that was going on in her head. She had decided last night, in a sleepy haze that happens after midnight, that she would approach Wheein for a date after class. Not a real date, as she didn’t want to get her hopes up too high should they come back down to crush her. She didn’t even know if Wheein liked girls. She didn’t even know if Wheein was single… Those answers would come with time though and Hyejin had already put enough time into silently pining over Wheein. Hyejin had decided that it was pathetic enough and she should just go for it. The woman knew if she never tried then she would always wonder and even if answers hurt, at least maybe then she would be able to get over Wheein eventually. 

 

When Wheein came into the classroom, she looked tired. She had been that way before but it was uncharacteristic of her. She usually dressed herself up all nicely and looked nicer than most of their professors but today she just came in with loose fitting baseball tee and comfortable looking black pants. That isn’t to say that Hyejin still wasn’t sitting on the right side of the classroom absolutely taken aback by her beauty and hiding her blush in her books. Anytime Hyejin had seen Wheein, the short woman’s effect was immediate on Hyejin. Her heart would race and her stomach would burst with butterflies. She had absolutely no idea how she was going to deal with being close to Wheein and actually talking with her. Hyejin’s head filled with made up dialogue that she thought would happen between the two while the professor lectured.

 

-

 

Hyejin’s ears felt like they were burning up from her nerves. The professor had just wrapped up the long lecture for the week and everyone was packing up to race out the door to get home or to another class. As for Hyejin, she didn’t have another class that day, and she was hoping that she was correct in assuming Wheein was free too. Hyejin finished putting her belongings in her bag and went out the door, waiting in the hallway, not wanting to let the woman she was intending to greet slip away before she got a chance. Her hands were on the thin straps of her bag on her shoulders, squeezing tightly enough that if she kept it up her knuckles would turn white and her nerves would be even more evident. Finally, out the door came Wheein. Her head was down and she quickly started her way down the hallway, Hyejin following and eventually catching up to walk beside her.

 

“Wheein?” Hyejin’s voice was soft, almost breaking from her hesitation and taken from her when the shorter woman looked up at her, pushing her glasses up higher on her nose before her brows furrowed slightly in confusion.

 

“I’m sorry… I don’t think we’ve met before…” Wheein’s voice was low and smooth, and it make Hyejin’s throat dry and suddenly she was seeing more stars than those one even the clearest of nights. 

 

“Hyejin. You sit on the left. We’re in some classes together. I mean I’ve noticed… that we are in a few classes and… you sit… on.. do you drink coffee?” Hyejin was mentally kicking herself for the mess of broken words that came out of . She was usually much more relaxed whenever talking to girls. She even earned the nickname “Ahn Fatal” among some of her friends for the way she makes any girl she wants weak. Wheein was going to be a new challenge though, and that excited Hyejin while simultaneously making her want to faint. Hyejin was brought back to her senses though when a giggle left Wheein’s lips before a reply to her poorly worded advance.

 

“If this is your way of asking me out for some coffee, you’re in luck. I’m free for the rest of the day and I could really use one and I’m crazy enough to say yes to a nervous stranger… if she’s treating.” Wheein stated bluntly, but still with a smile on her face, making a deep dimple stand out and making Hyejin’s knees nearly too weak to keep standing. After a few more words from Hyejin — unpleasant due to them being stumbled over and awkwardly let out — the duo went to one of the quieter coffee places on campus together.