Scotch, Rain, and Jazz

Bite Me I Dare You

    Soft rain pattered on the window of Gayeong's workplace, she glanced at the clock. 9:00pm. This was the time when the customers who studied and drank coffee left, and the aged, wealthy customers came. These were the regulars, not the hectic laptop wielders, or the gossiping girls; they were classic. Usually dressed in suits and evening gowns, the customers came to drink and listen to Gayeong play piano. Often talking of recent business plans or their leisurely activities, the cafe turned into a sophisticated bar. 

    Gayeong played a lighthearted tune in the background as the customers talked over their preferred drink, scotch. That's when something different happened, the bar welcomed two more customers. 

    They certainly look like they belong here, but they're much younger then everyone else. Definitely not regulars, maybe they usually come in the early morning when I'm not here.

    The new customers stood out, however the others paid no attention to them. Other people didn't matter anyways, they were here for their own relaxation. The woman of the two sauntered over to the bar, her male partner's arm around her tiny waist. Gayeong assumed they were a rich, young couple who had been raised in wealth their whole lives. They had the aura of powerful people, nothing was stopping Gayeong from immediately putting them into her customer list. Although they appeared quite different than the norm, Gayeong thought it was interesting. 

    They look like they stepped out of an anime, christ.

The woman's hair was a deep magenta shade, that shown different hues as the light hit it's gentle curls. In stark contrast, the male's pin-straight, slate grey hair was slicked back in a clean updo. Abnormalities didn't stop there, the eyes of both stood out immensely. The female had entrancing chartreuse orbs, while the male's were blood red. 

    Dang, I sure as hell wouldn't be able to pull anything like that off. Props to them for being out of the box. I'm just gonna stick with my black hair and brown eyes, thanks. Plain and simple. 

Gayeong finished another piece as customers started to leave. 12:00. The bar closed at 1:00, soon enough only the two strange customers were left. 

"Can I make a request?" The female customer asked.

1:45.

Gayeong nodded her head, not noticing the owner who served drinks, was no where to be found. 

"Moonlight Sonata, the third act, Presto Agitato." The words seemed to slip from like silk, her tone one of absolute grace. 

    Does she really want that? It's the most intense part of the song. I pray for the well being of my fingers each night, I'm sorry little dudes. Last one for tonight. I promise. 

Gayeong cast one last look at the two customers and placed her hands on the keys.

    When the moon is high in the sky, I'll play this for you. The Moonlight Sonata, Presto Agitato. I'll play for you my soul, my heart. Will you be shaken?

As Gayeong expertly played, the two customers shared a conversation. However, only they could hear it. 

"At first I was skeptical because you felt her, but she is definitely one." Jinri spoke in her partners head. 

"She feels different though...like she's rare." Dongwan replied while intently watching the performance. 

"I feel it too, she's probably like you, a Bat. I mean we've scouted a few of them before and they usually show their gifts. Perhaps her's connected to piano, something about music?" Jinri made her own predictions, delighted by the talents Gayeong had shown in the bar. 

"I would feel if she was a Bat, she is definitely not. I don't sense her gift either, but there something about her. Something draws me to her, don't you feel it too?" Dongwan let his gaze lock with his partner. 

"Okay maybe I felt it a little...but you always get so hyped when I'm wrong! Well she can't be a Rose it's too plain. Her piano skills are amazing and she's absolutely exquisite. Truly living up to a name meaning "beautiful flower".  She may even waver the hearts of our dear princes." Jinri giggled at the image of one of the princes, a boy who constantly got whatever he wanted, putting secret love letters on Gayeong's piano. 

"Don't be ridiculous, if anything they'll just her dry. Tell me why we have to respect those man-, again?" He let his eyes roll. 

"Now, now, don't be jealous they get more than you. And be careful of your thoughts, if Principal Choi has mind readers at school, who knows what the King has!" She playfully stuck her tongue out then returned her attention to Gayeong's ending performance. 

Gayeong easily finished the song, leaving her hands to rest on the keys for a moment. Her small breath shook in an effort to still her beating heart. The piece was one of the first she seriously learned, and one of her favorites. She always felt such a rush playing it; it invigorated her. 

"That was excellent." The customer clapped lightly. "My name is Jinri, it's lovely to meet a person as skilled as you." 

"Oh no, I'm not that good." Gayeong replied, politely bowing.

"I'm Dongwan. I feel the same as Jinri, your skills are truly amazing. You played the piece with such raw emotion." 

"Don't be silly, I still have very much to learn." Gayeong closed the piano and pushed the bench in. 

"Well, you still have a lot to learn about our, or your new, world. We'll be your friends though, I think you're cool." Jinri chuckled. 

Gayeong tilted her head in confusion, going into the back room to grab her belongings. After coming out, Jinri continued to speak. 

"That's all you have, I guess we'll have to get the rest from your apartment. It's close by, so it's not really a problem." 

How did she know I have an apartment near here?

Gayeong stepped in front of Jinri and Dongwan and bowed. She assumed they were leaving.

"Sorry, this is going to hurt." Jinri whined.

Gayeong quickly stood from her bow, surprised, only to have a searing pain erupt in her head. She fell to the ground, blacking out.

a/n: Yay, the first chapter! I hope you thought it was good... I like to put a big contrast between the more narrative parts of the story versus Gayeong's thoughts, which are the italics by the way. I hope it's not too long or short... Constructive criticism welcome! Xoxo Kate