Chapter 5: Resigned

This Heart Beats For You

Part 3

 

 

Bo Young was waiting for him at home. She opened the door to let him in and fell crying into his arms.

“Gwenchana,” he whispered, as he enveloped her in a tight embrace. “Shhhhh. It’s ok.”

Bo Young let her tears fall. She has always been fearful of any sort of scandal after the traumatizing events she had endured in the past. She shuddered thinking of the possible consequences if those photographs come to light, innocent though they may be. She’s not ready to face the public scrunity again. All she could think about was the hardship her family, particularly her sisters, were subjected to as a result of the scandal she had experienced. She knew how vicious the backlash from the media could be and how quickly the web of intrigue could touch upon the quiet lives of her family, causing long lasting repercussions. Additionally, she was worried about Hyung Sik and the impact it might have in his career. Her tears flowed unabated. Her arms tightened around him.

Hyung Sik held her in silence, his hand cupping the back of her neck protectively. His mind has been in a whirl after everything that has taken place.

He loosened his hold to tilt her face to him. Her eyes were red from crying; her face full of distraught. He felt helpless, burdened by their circumstances. He wiped her tears with his thumb and kissed her gently.

“Ne sarang, it will be ok. I saw the photos and it’s not as bad as we think. “ He added, “Don’t worry, Mrs. E is doing damage control as we speak.”

“I’m scared. I don’t want any more scandal. My family suffered badly in the past and I cannot put them through this again,” her voice cracked.

“I will meet their price and for now they will keep this quiet. I promise it will be ok.”

“But they won’t stop until we get caught... I don’t know what to do.”

“Then let’s not hide anymore. Why should we, when we love each other?”

“Hyung Sik! Be serious. You know we can’t. You have all these projects lined up. And so do I."

“We can go public; make an announcement then they will have nothing to expose.”

“No, be reasonable. It's not that simple. Our contracts forbid us from doing this very thing. ”

...

Then marry me.

Her eyes widened, hearing the words fall from his lips. opened but she could not answer.

He saw her waver, her lovely face showing the dismay she is feeling, and the calm he tried to hold onto all evening starts to crumble. 

“Hyung Sik… no, I can’t…...........................We can’t do this right now.”

The words felt more of a stab in the heart than anything else he has ever felt. He made a motion to walk away, but she stopped him.

“Hyung Sik, please. I love you. But I can’t. Not right now.” Her voice pleaded for his understanding.“My family still needs me.”

“What about us;  what about me?” his voice came out embittered.

“I love you, but I cannot abandon my family... Please Hyung Sik, but my family has to come first.”

He heard her words without fully comprehending them. He stared at her resolute face. A sudden realization hit him.

“What are you saying, Bo Young?”

“...Hyung Sik -- -”

...

Her voice told him what she could not form in words.  His jaw clenched. “I-I have to go.”

He had to leave. Right now. He's drowning. His emotions are suffocating him, pushing him down below the surface, making it impossible to breathe. His heart is clamoring a beat out of his chest, ready to explode.

She heard him walk away, each resounding step away from her was a trample she felt in her heart. The door closed behind him silently but the sound was deafeningly loud in her ears. She let fresh tears fall freely once more. And the sobs she tried to hold onto in his presence escaped from her lips unchecked.

.

.

.