JooHyun's Flower Shop

Hemlock

“They should last for a good two weeks if cared for properly. Make sure to give it lots of sunlight and to regularly change the water. If you snip the ends a bit everyday too, it'll help the flowers to absorb the water since it can get clogged up. And if you run out of flower feed, a little bit of sugar goes a long way,” I speak in a careful tone, making sure that what I was saying wouldn't go in one ear and out the other, but the look on the man's face told me that yes, everything I said did in fact go right over his head. I let out a small laugh, shaking my head as I absentmindedly adjust the bouquet, “I know it's a lot to take in, but I think the added effort is worth it. It'd be such a shame to see them die so quickly…. I must sound so silly.” The man smiles warmly, and I return the kindness with one of my own.

“Not at all. It really shows you know what you're doing. Besides, I think my wife would appreciate the added effort.” I beam.

“I appreciate that….. Can I help you with anything else then?” The man shakes his head, “Then that'll be 30 thousand won please.”  He hands over the money and I quickly ring him up, handing over the flowers and his receipt, “Have a lovely anniversary and Chuseok, and please come again!” The man gives a polite bow and wave as he walks out the door. Sighing, I let my shoulders sag a bit. It was already the beginning of October, which meant holiday season is just around the corner. Orders would be flooding in soon for floral arrangements.

October also meant Chuseok, but in the midst of work, I had managed to put all thoughts of it aside. It had been three years already, but the sadness still sinks deep into my bones. I try to shake off the feeling, moving from my spot behind the register. There’s no use dwelling. It was almost five, which meant we would be closing soon. There is only one other person working, and after a little searching, I find her sweeping away a mess of dirt that had been left over from moving the plants around.

“Soojung-ah, it’s almost five. I can take care of the rest,” the sound of my voice must have startled her because she jumps nearly 10 feet into the air. I couldn’t help the bubble of laughter that escapes after seeing her expression. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to scare you.”

“No, it’s alright… I can just finish this bit up. You’ll be alone after I leave…” she trails off, looking as if she wanted to say more, but had decided against it. Soojung is young, barely sixteen and still studying in high school. She hasn’t been working here for long, only a few months, but she’s been a lot of help around the shop. In fact, she was the one who suggested I hire a part-time worker, since I had been alone before. I wasn’t initially looking for the help, but found a little relief when she did start working here. She was a curious girl, always asking questions, but it had been nice to have someone to talk to for a change.

“You shouldn’t stay out so late. It’s getting dark quicker now that it’s autumn.” I go to reach for the broom in her hands, but Soojung pulls away with a huff, rolling her eyes.

“Unnie, you know even if I left now, how do you know whether I’ll actually go home early or not?” I let out a defeated laugh, putting my hands up in surrender.

“I know this, but I hoped you would actually listen to me for once. Forgive me for trying,” this time she pouts, her hands clasped over the top of the broom so that she could rest her cheek there.

“Don’t try to make me feel bad. I’m just worried about you,” Soojung’s eyes follow me as I move to adjust the pots so that they were stacked neatly. My ears feel hot. I’m nearly a decade older than the girl and here she is worrying about me.

“You know I’m perfectly capable of taking care of myself.” I say once I’m done, dusting my hands off on my apron. It would need to be washed again tonight, which meant I would have laundry to do once I got home. I still didn’t met her eyes, looking around the shop for something else to keep my hands busy, but Soojung has done such a great job at keeping it tidy. Though I was grateful for all her help, times like this I wish she would leave something for me to do.

“I know…. But.. it’s almost time for Chuseok,” she says the word softly, like I might break if she  it was any louder. I sigh, finally looking at her.

“I’ll be okay.” I walk over to grab the dustpan to sweep up the small pile of dirt Soojung had finished arranging. This time, she did not move to stop me, which I’m silently thanking her for. I can hear her sigh as she moves to place the broom back in the small shed located in the corner.

“I know you’ll be okay and are perfectly capable of taking care of yourself, but Chuseok is supposed to be a holiday about family… You shouldn’t be alone on Chuseok…” The now filled dustpan lay forgotten on the floor as I stare blankly. In front of me, I hear Soojung rustling around before crouching down in front of me. “My parents have been dying to meet you… please?”

“I don’t want to impose…” I glance up to see the ghost of a smile on her lips.

“Nonsense! You wouldn’t be imposing at all. They’ll love it if you come.” I chew on my lower lips for a few more seconds before letting out a big sigh.

“Alright… Alright, I’ll go.” Soojung wraps two arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. I laugh, resting my head on her shoulder for just a moment. “You should really go home now.” Soojung pulls away, feigning hurt.

“Wow, I thought we were having a moment here, but you’re only thinking about kicking me out.” I roll my eyes, grabbing the dust pan and standing up. Soojung follows suite, gripping the straps of her bag with both hands. “Anyways, dinner will be at 7, I will see you then?” I nod, emptying the dirt into the trashcan. It didn’t take long for her to leave after that. We say our goodbyes and I watch her for a few more minutes before turning the open sign to closed.

Walking to the back room, I sit down at the large table looking over the list of orders for floral arrangements that were due tomorrow. I did have chances to work here and there during opening hours, but it was always interrupted by customers. Now I can finally pour myself into work, knowing it will be another long night. I didn’t plan on staying too late since tomorrow was Chuseok. Despite the fact that I sat down to work, I couldn’t help the rush of memories that came to me at times like this.

When I was a little girl, my mother used to have a small flower garden she tended to everyday. It wasn’t anything special; a small plot of land tucked snugly against the wall of our little home. Anything more would have been too much.

She tended to this garden every morning, waking up long before the world had opened its eyes to make sure they were properly watered before beginning her long trek to work. My mother did not have an extravagant job. She did not wear pretty clothes to work and her hands were always dried and cracked. But every evening when she would return home just in time for dinner, I would sit on the stone step leading up to our door and quietly watch her.

My mother was not exceptionally pretty, but when she tended her flowers with that soft smile on her face, to me that was when she was most beautiful. I wanted to be like her so badly that I remember asking for a flower of my own. She had laughed and said a flower was a big responsibility, like taking care of a child. I thought this meant I couldn’t get one but the very next morning, I found a small yellow pot with a tiny sapling at the center next to the spot I was sleeping.

She passed away three years ago from being overworked, but thanks to her, I had been able to lead a comfortable life. My mother was my idol. Opening this flower shop was all I could do to keep her close to me. It was a small comfort, but when holidays like Chuseok came around, I couldn’t help but feel the lack of her presence.

Closing my eyes, I inhale deeply before opening them and beginning my work, meticulously arranging the first set of orders.