LAST DANCE

Last Dance

“I thought you’ll gonna bail me out!”, exclaimed Jungkook exasperatedly after seeing a blob of blonde hair approached him amidst the sea of people dancing to an upbeat song in the background.

The night’s started out fine for him. He got to have fun with his friends, dance to some stupid songs played by the DJ and eat all the food to his heart’s content. Attending the school’s promenade is one of the most-awaited events of the year for all seniors (and juniors); aside from their graduation itself. It’s a night to have some fun without inhibitions and a night to have some romantic rendezvous with someone special.  But as time passes by, he grows a little worried. Jimin’s running late. He even made sure to call the older and remind him of being his plus one early this morning.

“Sorry, sorry. There was an accident so I got stuck in traffic”, explained Jimin sheepishly after arriving in front of Jungkook.

“You got me a little worried there.” answered Jungkook while pouting and crossing his arms. He spent the whole time waiting for Jimin standing and craning his neck towards the entrance in case Jimin shows up. It’s worth to mention that Jimin’s hard to locate with his height.

“Why would you even think about that? You know I wouldn’t miss it for the world, Kookie”, said Jimin while smiling at Jungkook. With the different-coloured-lights in the venue, Jimin looks ethereal wearing his simple white tuxedo. He looks literally like an angel. A real-life angel. Jungkook’s heart flutters.

“I know. I just thought you forgot our tradition”, said Jungkook with a huff and a pout. Jimin giggles with another apology, “I’m sorry Kookie”, and pulls Jungkook to the dance floor.

 Although still upset and refusing to dance with him, a little coaxing from Jimin made Jungkook give in and sway with Jimin alongside the music. “Come on, Kook, stop pouting and dance with me!”

A moment after they arrived at the dance floor, the upbeat music changes to a slow one. Automatically, Jungkook position his hands to Jimin’s waist while Jimin hangs his arms to Jungkook’s neck.

“I missed you”, whispered Jungkook while lovingly looking at Jimin.

“We just saw each other last week,” giggled Jimin, “but yeah, I missed you, too.”

Jungkook pulled Jimin closer. Jimin smiled wider.

“I can’t wait for summer vacation. I miss seeing you in the neighbourhood”, said Jungkook while pressing their foreheads together.

“Me, too”, answered Jimin.

 

 

Jimin and Jungkook have been best friends since forever. Their families live in the same neighbourhood; houses stand side by side, and their parents were good friends in high school.

Jimin and Jungkook grew up together; witnessing every important part of their lives and being part of it. They were attached to the hip, that’s why when Jimin left for university two years ago, Jungkook cried so hard. He cried harder than Jihyun – Jimin’s younger brother.

“Awww, Kookie. People might think we’re the one who’re brothers. Jihyun, you must try harder!” Jimin joked, just to lift Jungkook’s spirit.

“But hyung! Seoul is too far from Busan.”

“We will text and call each other. I’ll come to visit often!”

And sure Jimin did visit. It may not be often but Jimin made sure he is always present during Jungkook’s most precious moments – his first photography competition which has Jimin stayed up all night on the phone just to comfort  a very nervous Jungkook worrying about not doing okay in the competition; doubting his skills. But Jimin knows Jungkook. He knows he will be just fine. And fine it did. Jungkook won first place and Jimin is there to give him a hug and a bouquet of flowers.

Jimin was there when Jungkook got his first tattoo - when they both decided to have matching tattoos. It was a spur of the moment. They were hanging out and one of them get across some minimalistic tattoos post and suggested it’s nice to have them. Two hours later, they got matching moon and stars on their wrist – where they can feel their heartbeats.

Jimin was there for his birthdays, never misses one although he is busy juggling his university life. He always shows up with a cake and a smile on his face. He will hug Jungkook and greet him with his melodic voice and sparkling eyes. And when the party is over and the people already resigned to their respective homes, they will both go outside to feel the peace and serenity of Busan night – when the moon is up and the only music they could hear is their own heartbeats.

They will hold each other and sway to the music they could only hear. This. This is the highlight of his birthdays. Their dance under the moonlight and the twinkling stars. The feel of Jimin in his arms.

They always dance before the night of Jungkook’s birthday ends. It’s a tradition they make themselves. Jimin will always have his last dance.

 

 

“Hey, earth to Jungkook?”

Jungkook was pulled back to reality by the mentioned of his name.

“Why are you dozing off when you’re dancing with me?” Jimin pouts.

“I’m just thinking why you’re so small is all, hyung”, answered Jungkook and has the decency to smile sweetly to Jimin.

“Aish, this brat. I don’t know why I put up with you.”

“It’s because you love me, hyung.”

“Do I?”

“Hyung!” Jungkook shouts, scandalized.

Jimin laughs, mirth in his eyes.

“Say you love me, hyung!” Jungkook said petulantly while tickling Jimin’s sides.

“Okay, okay. I do love you brat. More than anyone in the world.” Jimin acquiesces and pulled Jungkook closer in the neck, still swaying to the slow music played in the background. He laid his head to Jungkook’s shoulders, holding him tighter.

“Hyung, you know I’ll graduate this year, right?” said Jungkook.

“Hmmm.” Jimin hums.

“You know I’ll follow you to Seoul, right?”

“Hmmm.”

“Can’t you be more excited about it? I’m excited, you know. Two years with you far away is too much. Now that I’ll graduate and go to Seoul, I’ll stick to you like a glue.” Jungkook said, pulling away from their hug and looks at Jimin, an unimpress look in his eyes.

“You can’t follow me around Jungkook. You will have different classes than me. It’s physically impossible”, answered Jimin, matter –of – factly.

“That’s not what I mean, hyung!” said Jungkook, indignantly.

“I’m just joking”, laughs Jimin. “But seriously Jungkook, you should try to venture out more and make more friends! Don’t be stuck with me. What will you do when I’m gone, huh?”

Jungkook stops.

“What are you saying hyung? Are you ditching me? Are you finally dropping me for someone else? Did you find someone better than me in Seoul?” Jungkook shots rapid questions to Jimin, eyes wide with worry. Jimin can’t do that to him! Where else can he find someone as cute him? Nowhere! Because he is a limited edition, one and only Jungkook.

Jimin laughs, throwing his body to Jungkook.

“Aish, you really love me that much, huh?”

“Do you not with me?”

“I do. I love you so much since day one.”

“We just got together last year, you know” Jungkook reminds him.

“That’s not the point.”

 

 

The first few months after Jimin leaves for Seoul was the hardest for Jungkook. He can’t sleep or eat properly. There’s something missing in him. It’s like Jimin brought with him a piece of Jungkook to Seoul. That’s when he realized he felt more than friendship with Jimin. He loves Jimin. He is in love with him.

He got the courage to confess to Jimin during summer vacation, where Jimin made sure to go back home. They made plans to go the beach, see the sun sets.

Sitting side by side in the shore, Jungkook poured his heart out, offering Jimin his heart. The older happily accepted him. Jungkook is beyond happy, ecstatic even. Everything was perfect – is perfect.

 

“I think it’s time to say goodbye, Kookie” said Jimin after a few minutes of swaying in the dance floor. The night is coming to an end.

“Are you not coming home with me?” Jungkook asked, confused. “Are you going back to Seoul at this hour?”

Jimin did not answer. Just look at him with sad eyes.

“What’s wrong, hyung?” Jungkook panics. Jimin looks so sad, eyes shining with unshed tears. He pulled Jimin closer. “Don’t cry. Tell me what’s wrong.”

His heart hurt. He doesn’t know what is happening but his heart is hurting because Jimin is sad. He doesn’t want to see Jimin sad and crying.

“I’m sorry, Kookie.” Jimin sobbed and hug Jungkook closer, afraid to let Jungkook go. Afraid Jungkook will let him go.

“Hyung, talk to me”, begs Jungkook.

“I’m sorry. I really am.” Jimin cries harder. Jungkook doesn’t know what to do.

He pulled Jimin outside to have him breathe fresh air. He is not sure what to think of. Afraid of what could possibly the reason for Jimin’s tears.

He is still hugging Jimin when his phone rings. Jihyun.

His finger hovers on the cancel botton when Jimin interrupted him. “Answer it, please.” Jimin said in a tiny voice. He is still crying but he looked determined. “Please.”

Without a choice – he can’t say no to Jimin – he picked up the call.

“Hey man. What’s up?”

“Where are you?” Jihyun’s voice seemed frantic, nervous, afraid.

“What’s wrong? I’m outside with Jimin.” The older is still sniffing, saying sorry, sorry, sorry all over.

“....what?” Jihyun’s line is silent for a minute.

“Why? What’s wrong?”

“Hyung...hyung’s in the hopital.” Jihyun’s voice break. “Jungkook, he had a car crash.”

Jungkook’s ear rings. Jimin’s in a car crash? Impossible. Jimin’s here with him all night.

He looks at Jimin, wide eyed. “Jimin-hyung...” he calls tentatively.

“I’m sorry Jungkook,”said Jimin. “I said I wouldn’t miss it for the world. I love you.”

Tears threatened to fall in Jungkook’s eyes. “Hyung, this is not funny.”

“I’m sorry.” Jimin whispers.

“Hyung.” Jungkook’s voice breaks.

“I’m sorry. I love you so much.”

Jungkook reaches for Jimin. But he can’t seem to touch him. It dawns on him. Jimin can’t leave him. Nononononono. “Hyung.. don’t go. Don’t leave me, hyung. I can’t leave without you.” He reaches and reaches but Jimin is unreachable.

“I’m sorry....”

“Hyung! Please.” Jungkook begs. “Don’t leave me. I love you so much.”

“I love you, too. More than anyone in the world.”

“No, no, hyung...” Jungkook cries harder. He tries to reach again but Jimin is fading. “No, no, no, no”

He runs towards a crying Jimin. He wants to hug him, never let him go. But what he hugs was only the wind. Jimin is gone. He’s gone. With the wind. He left Jungkook.

“NO! Hyung!” Jungkook kneels and cries harder. Nonononono. He cries until he can’t cry no more. His heart hurt. No. Jimin can’t possibly leave him, right? What about their plan of late night dates in Seoul? They haven’t done that yet. They will do that when he go to Seoul months from now. How about their plan to get new tattoos, this time their birth flowers? How good bridal wreath looks on Jimin’s skin. He wants to know. He still has a lot of things he wants to do with Jimin. He wants to have his own exhibit with Jimin as his model. He wants to show the world how beautiful Jimin is. How much he loves Jimin. How can they do all that now?

I love you, hyung. Please don’t leave me. I can’t leave without you.

The wind blows. It wrapped around him like someone hugging him.

It whispered, “I love you, Jungkook. More than anyone in the world.”