prologue.

this isn't just some coffee shop romance

"You know, most would think that you're crazy for liking... Well, that." Sungyeol hears his brother say before he's turning his attention to the boy that his brother is talking about. He sees dark hair that's just long enough to hide dark, serious eyes and a mouth in the facsimile of a smile, the other's dimples barely showing despite how deep set the right one could be, Sungyeol tries not to be weirded out by what the other male was doing. Especially since the boy was quite cute, despite the dark aura that surrounded him like a cloak and the somewhat freaked out look that the other would sometimes get whenever he would notice something that no one else could see.

The sound of Dongwoo's laughter fills his ears as he thinks back to the time that Dongwoo had willingly shared some information about the diner's most attractive waiter, Sungyeol knows the other isn't just talking to himself, but some type of spirit or ghost that likes to frequent the diner that all of them work at. Sungyeol tries to ignore the 'What the hell am I doing here' feeling that goes through him whenever he sees something that tells him that this diner is haunted as he conveniently disregards the cup of steaming hot coffee Myungsoo is currently trying to serve their ghostly guest.

It's crazy, but with how attractive Myungsoo is, Sungyeol finds it quite easy to go with the flow. Or to ignore the warning signs that 'Hey, this guy is so ing weird, he talks to ghosts' that should have scared most people less, it doesn't take long for Sungyeol to eventually mutter, "It's not that strange... He's just... Uh, well, different." 

Hearing his brother snort at his response, he can't help but give the other a glare before he's turning his gaze back towards Myungsoo. The other just radiating with how attractive he was—with how interesting he was compared to Sungyeol's peers, especially since most of the people at his school were the type to usually bore him to tears, Sungyeol's mouth just slowly forms into a smile as he continues to watch the other in front of him. It doesn't escape his notice when Myungsoo's demeanor changes into something a little softer than it had been moments before, that Sungyeol finds himself wondering about what the ghost had to have said to lower Myungsoo's guard just so. He quickly ignores the pang of 'Why can't I do something like that?'

Because unlike the overly polite and sweet image that Myungsoo likes to portray when it comes to serving their customers, it's the total opposite when Myungsoo's away from them. Especially with how closed off the other was when it came to Sungyeol himself, that can't help but feel the irrational need to get closer. To become something much better than the part-time college student that Myungsoo most likely saw him as that Sungyeol tries not to get down on himself when Myungsoo eventually removes himself from the table to walk towards him and his brother with the blandest expression that Sungyeol has ever seen. It takes everything within him to not take that personally when the other also decides to silently walk past him with his eyes glued to the floor.

Only to suddenly have his eye start to twitch in annoyance when he hears his brother ask, voice so low that he knows that he's the only one that has heard his brother words, "Do you think it's easier for him to talk to ghosts than humans?"

"No... That's definitely not the case."

Sungyeol knows that sentiment isn't true because if it was, Myungsoo wouldn't be able to talk to Dongwoo like he does, nor smile at the red-haired boy that occasionally comes in for cake and the strongest coffee that Sungyeol's ever tasted. It's hard to stop himself from jumping to conclusions and wondering if Myungsoo just has a problem with him... Like the other boy just doesn't like him, despite Sungyeol unable to think of something that could even cause something like that.  And if Myungsoo, in fact, did not like him, then in the most overdramatic fashion that Sungyeol could act, his insides burn at how much of a travesty that is. 

Dare say, the biggest travesty of his life, thus far.