FINAL

Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was like any other day, that Hakyeon was going for his schedule without the VIXX members.

“Hyung, do you have any painkillers?” Hakyeon asked clutching his abdomen tightly, beads of sweat trickling down his forehead, as he leaned back on the van’s seat.

“Is your gastric acting up again?” His manager asked worriedly.

“Hmm.” Hakyeon replied.

“I have some in my bag, it’s in the left pocket of my bag.” 

Hakyeon forced himself to sit up as he reached into their manager’s bag.

“You’ve been having this gastric pain for months now. Let’s go to the hospital for check up okay? We have some free time tomorrow.” His manager suggested.

“It’s really okay. I’ll be fine. I think it’s just because I’ve been having my meals irregularly thats why.” Hakyeon quickly said, taking the pill.

“But-“ 

“I’m really fine. If it happens again, I’ll go for the check up okay?” Hakyeon said.

“Okay than. Will you be able to continue to go for shoot now?” His manager said as he heaved a deep sigh.

“Yes.” Hakyeon said, as he took his bag and got off the van.

The filming for his drama soon started and things were going smoothly. The painkillers were working. He soon forgotten about the gastric pain until it started flaring up again. The pain this time was much more intense compared to the previous attack. 

Hakyeon quickly excused himself to go to the toilet. Luckily for him, he was down with filming for his part when the pain came.

As he went to the toilet, he could feel the waves of nausea surfacing as he quickly dashed to one of the cubicles and threw up. He could feel the pain building up at his searing throat and abdomen. The pain isn't sharp like a needle point or a knife, it burns around his innards better than boiling water. After he was finally done, with shaky hands, he wiped his mouth - but one thing caught him in surprise. There were bright red stains on his hand. Before he could process anything, he realised that he was in more pain than he could have ever imagined was possible.

Before he could process anything, the pain started increasing in waves as he slowly lose consciousness.

On the other hand, his manager was waiting for Hakyeon impatiently. 15 minutes passed and there was no sight of him. Sensing that something was wrong, his manager quickly entered the toilet and saw Hakyeon’s limp body. He ran to him and tried to wake him up but to no avail. With the help of the staff’s members, he managed to send Hakyeon to the hospital.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Hakyeon was quickly rushed in to the emergency room for treatment, with his manager by his side.

Hakyeon slowly regained consciousness a while later.

“Mr. Cha Hakyeon?” The doctor asked as he approached them.

“Is he okay?” His manager asked nervously.

“We have run some tests on you and you have been diagnosed with the 3rd stage of stomach cancer.” The doctor announced.

“Wh-at, wait what? Are you sure you didn’t make a mistake here?” Hakyeon’s manager quickly asked as Hakyeon sat on the bed, stunned.

“I’m really sorry but there are some recommended treatment procedures-“ The doctor was about to continue saying but was cut off by Hakyeon.

“I’m not going for any treatment.” Hakyeon said as he calmly wore his shoes.

“But Hakyeon you know that it’s dangerous if you don’t-“ His manager said.

Instead of replying, Hakyeon just took his bag and left the emergency room with his manager running after him.

“Hakyeon, are you..are you okay?” His manager asked worriedly as Hakyeon was calm - too calm after finding out such a big news.

However, he did not reply as he continued looking out at the van’s window. 

“You know if you change your mind about the treatment, tell me and I’ll book an appointment in the hospital.” Hakyeon’s manager said.

“Hyung. Can you promise me one thing? Please don’t tell the members about anything that happened today.” Hakyeon said emotionlessly. 

“Okay.” His manager replied.

Surprised at the response, Hakyeon looked up.

“Wow. I didn’t expect you to agree so soon. I guess it’s a patient privilege.” Hakyeon joked.

“No, it’s not because of that. But I figured that it’s right..for you to tell them yourself.” 

“Thanks..hyung.” Hakyeon said. 

When they arrived at the dorm, Hakyeon immediately went to his room and leaned against the door. That’s when he finally lets the facade he’s been holding come crashing down. 

He had a hand over his mouth, the other rigidly clutching his clothes, his eyelids shut so tightly they began to fidget and shudder from the bullish force, as if the very corner of his eyes were being pricked with a needle, crying silent tears that ran past his cheeks and over his knuckles until finally dripping onto the floor with as much a sound as the agony that he’s feeling.

At that moment, all he could feel was the burning pain, that was tearing at his heart. The process of dying wasn’t like any fiction he ever read - it was cruel. 

The next morning, he was woken up by the loud laughter outside his room. He sat and rubbed his eyes. He remembered the events that happened yesterday. He stood up and went to the restroom to freshen up.

He looked at the pale features of his face - his tear stained cheek

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter