Haven

Haven

Jeonghan was enjoying his coffee break when a very familiar ringtone resounded inside the doctor’s lounge. He could already tell who’s calling him without even looking at the caller ID. He took out his phone from the pocket of his white coat to answer the call.

“Hey.” He talked softly.

“Hey.” The caller, Wonwoo answered with a deep voice.

“How’s your day so far?”

“Barely bearable.. but better now that I’ve heard your voice.”

“Eww! Jeon Wonwoo, when did you become so corny?” Jeonghan teased and laughed at his boyfriend.

Wonwoo just laughed a hearty laugh. The one that doesn’t fail to make Jeonghan feel butterflies in his stomach. “It’s true though. I can’t believe I have to deal with stupid people to solve this case.” Wonwoo lightly complained.

“It’s going to be okay babe. You’ll be able to solve that in no time. You’re one of the best in your field, if not the best.” Jeonghan comforted him.

“As you are. How was the operation?”

“It went well. Chan is stable now. Thankfully.”.

“That’s my sweetheart. I knew you could do it.” Jeonghan sighed contentedly.

“Your shift ends at seven, right?” Jeonghan just replied with a hum.

“I’m going to pick you up then okay?”

“Okay.”

“See you later babe. Love you.”

“Okay. I love you too.”

The conversation left Jeonghan a warm feeling that he can never get sick of or toned down after years of being in a relationship with Wonwoo.

Their story started when they were still teenagers, in high school.

It was love at first sight for Wonwoo. For Jeonghan, it wasn’t.

But his love for Wonwoo grew like a bonsai, carefully nurtured by Wonwoo’s affection and devotion.

 

Wonwoo helped him through all his struggles and failures, praised him for his hard work and success. He has been his pillar and confidant.

In turn, Jeonghan is Wonwoo’s home. His presence, after the day, is enough for Wonwoo to forget all the worries and bad things he encounter at daily basis as a detective.

They were both rather busy with their careers, with Jeonghan as a sought-after doctor and Wonwoo being a genius detective, but make their relationship work.

And their love stronger.

 

 

It was already fifteen minutes after his shift and Jeonghan was wondering why his boyfriend still hasn’t called him. All his messages were also ignored.

Suddenly, the door to the doctor’s quarters banged open as an intern nurse came in panting.

“Doctor Yoon, Doctor Hong said that you should go to the ER right now.”

Without another word, Jeonghan immediately went out to go to the ER.

 

“Doctor Hong, what happened?” Jeonghan called out to his best friend who was treating a man with a wound on his head.

“Everything’s under control now. But Wonwoo.. he..” Jisoo wasn’t even done with what he was about to say but Jeonghan was already sprinting to the area where the other doctor was pointing.

Jeonghan yanked the curtain open. His eyes watered at the sight of Wonwoo lying down with his eyes closed. He had bruises all over his body and his left leg was in a cast.

“Doctong Hong said you don’t have to worry. He only sustained minor injuries, nothing serious. He’s okay now.” A nurse came to relay Jisoo’s message to Jeonghan.

 

Jeonghan took a shaky breath to calm himself as he sat down beside Wonwoo’s hospital bed. He took Wonwoo’s right hand with both of his and pressed his lips against the back of his palm. He nuzzled his cheek against it as he watched the rise and fall of Wonwoo’s chest.

“He’s alive.” He thought to himself and kissed his partner’s hand some more.

It wasn’t the first time that Wonwoo got rushed to the hospital due to accidents while on duty. It definitely isn’t going to be the last either. The mere thought gives Jeonghan chills.

 

“Hey sweetheart.” Wonwoo was now awake. He gave Jeonghan a sheepish smile and tugged one of Jeonghan’s hand that was holding his to kiss it.

“Didn’t I tell you to be more careful?” Jeonghan stressed the word ‘more’. “Stop scaring me, please.” He begs.

Wonwoo sat up to hug Jeonghan. “I’m so sorry babe. I was supposed to take you out for a nice dinner.” He kissed Jeonghan’s temple.

“I don’t care about dinner. I just want you to be safe.”

Wonwoo smiled at his lover. He raised his finger to smoothen out this furrowed eyebrows. He held both of his cheeks and kissed his pouting lips.

“You’re so good to me babe. I love you.” Wonwoo said as he wrapped his arms around Jeonghan. Jeonghan just grumbled before replying with a soft, “I love you too.” against Wonwoo’s collar.

 

They may face a lot of circumstances, the good and the bad. But no matter what it is, they know it’s going to be okay as long as they have each other.

As long as they have the other to come home to at the end of the day.

As long as they can embrace the other.

After all, each other’s embrace is their very own haven.