The Confession

Unclear Truth

It was raining. Tzuyu wasn’t surprised. The universe could be rude like that, setting the tone of the conversation.

Jihyo was watching her with those wide loving eyes, and Tzuyu felt like the worst person on earth. She liked to think that she’d done less dumb things in her life than the majority of her friends, but right now she felt like the biggest dummy in their whole group.

“Did I… did I read this wrong?” Jihyo said quietly. “Because if so I’m really sorry for embarrassing you in there. I just thought you had the same feelings for me as I-”

“No!” Tzuyu yelled. “No, not at all! I do feel the same way! I loved your song!”

“Oh.” Jihyo frowned, confused. “Then what’s this about?”

Tzuyu took a deep breath. Her nerves had never been this jittery before, but she couldn’t chicken out now. Jihyo deserved the truth, and Tzuyu deserved to be judged for it.

“Remember that night at Mina’s party, when you sang in front of us for the first time?”

Jihyo nodded, looking even more confused.

“I thought you were the most amazing thing I’d ever seen. Chaeyoung could tell that I had a crush on you but being an idiot, I refused to admit it.”

“But you’re admitting it now, right?”

“I am.” Tzuyu said firmly. “I have a large crush on you that grows every moment we spend together. It’s so big that it terrifies me, but I’ve come to realise you’re worth dealing with all my issues.”

Jihyo smiled at that, this soft, happy smile that Tzuyu longed to appreciate. She couldn’t of course. Not when that smile would be gone very shortly, and it would be all her fault.

“So, what’s the problem?” Jihyo asked. “You like me, I like you. Seems like everything works out.”

“The problem is what happened after you sang.” Tzuyu steeled herself and forced the words out. “Chaeyoung noticed my crush on you, but she also knew I was too scared to do anything about it on my own. So…so we made a bet.”

There was silence. Tzuyu looked up, but Jihyo wasn’t even moving. She just stood there and stared, with a blank expression on her face.

God, Tzuyu had messed this up so bad.

“We both thought you were super pretty and nice, and we both wanted to go out with you. So, we made a bet to see who could get a date with you first.”

“What was the prize?”

“What?”

“The prize.” Jihyo repeated, her voice unnervingly neutral. “For winning the bet. What was it?”

Tzuyu couldn’t even remember. She racked her brain, trying to think.

“It was something really stupid.” she said at last. “I think…I think Chaeyoung suggested whoever lost had to buy lunch for a month.”

Jihyo stared at her, and Tzuyu’s stomach dropped when she saw tears forming in her eyes.

“So that was it, huh?” Jihyo whispered. “That was how much I was worth to you?”

“No!” Tzuyu tried to step closer, but Jihyo stepped back. “Jihyo no, it was a mistake. I didn’t take the bet for the lunch.”

“Is this what you and Chaeyoung do?” Jihyo spat. “Do you have fun messing with the new people? Stringing them along? Make me fall for you so you and your girlfriend can laugh about it? The others always acted like there was something between you two but I though no, you were into me not her. Boy do I feel like an idiot now.”

“Jihyo no!” Tzuyu paused. “What, what? Chaeyoung’s not my girlfriend.”

“She’s not?”

“No! I’ve just told you how much of a crush I have on you! She’s my best friend, but that’s all.”

“Oh.”

“Why would you even think that?”

“Well I never thought you capable of betting on me, so excuse me of also believing you could flirt with me while in a relationship with someone else.”

Yeah, Tzuyu had earned that. She sighed, trying to collect her thoughts.

“Look, Chaeyoung and I made a bet. It’s messed up and I regret it, and I understand if you hate me now. I just couldn’t start a relationship with you without you knowing the full ugly truth.”

“Which is?”

“That I care about you, and I regretted the bet from the moment I made it. But I still made it, and up until now it’s still been a thing. I don’t care about a free lunch, that wasn’t the reason I accepted the bet. I did it because I’m a coward. I’m a coward when it comes to feelings, and you deserve someone better. Someone who won’t use a silly bet to cover up how much they care about you.”

Jihyo was silent again, but the tears still trickling down her cheeks spoke volumes. Tzuyu stood there patiently, feeling her own eyes start to water. She blinked furiously, determined not to cry. This was pathetic and embarrassing enough as it was.

She kept her eyes on the ground, waiting until Jihyo finally spoke.

“Could you…could you give me a minute?”

Tzuyu’s head shot up. Jihyo still looked upset, but she wasn’t angry anymore. Tzuyu couldn’t tell if that was a good thing or a bad thing, but she nodded anyway.

“Sure. Should I just wait here?”

“Please.”

Jihyo turned and walked out of the smoker’s area. Tzuyu watched guiltily as she stood in the rain. She should be the one out there, not Jihyo.

Jihyo paced back and forth, her expression twisting every time she turned. Tzuyu stood quietly and waited. Whatever Jihyo had to say, whatever decision she landed on, Tzuyu would be there to hear it. She was a terrible person, but she could do that much.

Oh God, she was crying now. Fantastic. Tzuyu slapped her face in frustration, but the tears kept running down them. She hated herself for crying. She hated Jihyo for being so amazing and making Tzuyu feel things. She hated Chaeyoung for taking advantage of her feelings for a stupid bet.

She really, really hated herself for going along with it.

Life had been so much easier when she hadn’t cared about anything.

She jumped when she realised Jihyo was marching towards her. Part of her was dying to run away, but she stood her ground and met Jihyo’s eyes as she stepped under the roof.

“Right.” Jihyo said firmly. “Tell me, who came up with this bet, you or Chaeyoung?”

“Chaeyoung.”

Jihyo nodded as if she’d been expecting that. Tzuyu had no idea where this was going.

“Ok then.” Jihyo said calmly. “I forgive you.”

Tzuyu blinked. She had to have heard that wrong.

“Sorry?”

“I said I forgive you.”

What. The. Heck.

“What? Why?”

“Because I want to.”

“But…but…” Tzuyu spluttered. “I’m a terrible person! I just told you that I’ve been betting on our relationship!”

“You did.” Jihyo agreed. “And now you’re crying and you look very ashamed. I’d like to believe that it’s genuine.”

“It is.” Tzuyu said quickly. “I regret it. So much.”

“Good. In that case I’m willing to forgive you.”

“Just like that?”

“Just like that.”

This wasn’t making any sense to Tzuyu, but then again, Jihyo never had made much sense to her. She’d always seemed too good and kind to be real. Sure, Tzuyu had seen her angry, sad, upset, the full rainbow of emotions really, but at her core she had always seemed good. For Jihyo to be this forgiving… Tzuyu had to have fallen in love with an angel. It was the only explanation.

“I love you.”

Shoot. She hadn’t meant to say that out loud. Tzuyu flushed even redder at the surprised look on Jihyo’s face. It slowly melted into a soft smile, and Tzuyu felt like squirming from the amount of tenderness in Jihyo’s gaze.

“I believe you.” Jihyo said softly. “So, I’m willing to forgive and forget. Are you?”

Tzuyu couldn’t believe this was real. She had come out here prepared for Jihyo to kick her, throw a drink at her, say she hated her, do anything really. Anything except this.

“Are you sure?” she said anxiously. “Because I don’t want you to feel pressured into a relationship with me now that you know. If you want to stay just friends that’s fine I mean it’s not fine because I love you but I’d accept it because your feelings matter more right now so if you want-”

Jihyo leant forward and kissed her.

It was everything Tzuyu had expected- fireworks in her head, warmth in her stomach, the softness of Jihyo- and it was also very different to what she had expected- tears and forgiveness, gentle hands coming up to cup her face, a bittersweet taste on her tongue.

When Jihyo stepped away, it took four embarrassing seconds for Tzuyu to stop being dazed.

“Does that answer your questions?” Jihyo smirked.

Tzuyu could have used her words; but kissing that smirk off Jihyo’s face was far too tempting a reply to pass up.

When they broke apart for the second time, Tzuyu felt giddy, like a million bubbles were popping inside her. Part of her was mildly disgusted that she could feel so sappy, and part of her still felt guilty.

“Seriously though, is there anything I can do to make this up to you?”

“Other than being my loving girlfriend?”

“Other than that.” Tzuyu smiled.

Jihyo actually considered the question carefully. Tzuyu gulped and tried not to seem too afraid.

“I’m going to be angry at Chaeyoung for a while since she started the bet. I know she’s your best friend but I’d appreciate it if you don’t get upset at me for disliking her.”

“…That’s it?” Tzuyu said, surprised. “That’s all? I know Chae messed up, and I know that you have every right to not be friendly with her after this. That’s not me making it up to you, that’s just me being a decent person.”

“Well that’s enough for me.”

“Seriously.” Tzuyu cringed at how desperate she sounded. “I messed up, really badly. It’s not fair that I should get away this easy.”

“Hm.” Jihyo tapped her finger against her chin, considering. “Well in that case, be nice to Nayeon for a month. If you can do that we’ll call it even.”

Jesus Christ, Jihyo played hardball. Still, Tzuyu smiled and nodded.

“I can do that.”

Jihyo raised an eyebrow.

“I can probably do that. Maybe.”

Jihyo’s lips twitched. Tzuyu sighed, knowing she wasn’t fooling her.

“Does it have to be Nayeon though?” she whined. “I’ll be nice to literally anyone else.”

“You’re the one that didn’t want to get away with everything so easily. If you want to stop feeling so guilty this is how you do it.”

“Fine.” Tzuyu sighed grumpily.

Jihyo reached over to kiss her again, and her frown vanished.


Walking back into the bar, Tzuyu knew they looked a mess. Her eyes were puffy from crying and her hands were shaking slightly. Jihyo was shivering, her hair and clothes soaking wet. Despite all this, they wore matching grins on their faces.

Tzuyu watched as their table of friends turned to stare at them. As she and Jihyo made their way over, she debated what to say to them. In the end, Jihyo beat her to the punch.

“Guess who has a girlfriend now?”

The whole table erupted into cheers, and the rest of the bar was quick to follow suit. Jihyo had picked up a lot of fans from her weekly audience, and they all seemed delighted by this dramatic romance happening right in front of them.

As Sana and Mina hugged her and clapped her on the shoulder, Tzuyu searched the table for one specific friend. She finally found Chaeyoung, hovering near the edge of the doorway. She’d probably been prepared to bolt if things had gone wrong, but now she looked absolutely stunned.

Tzuyu couldn’t help sticking her tongue out. The bet had been a terrible idea and she regretted it immensely, but at the same time, she couldn’t stop feeling like she’d won. Not the bet itself of course, but Jihyo. They’d been competing for her love with different levels of intensity and seriousness, and the rightful winner had taken the prize.

She didn’t expect Chaeyoung to take her joke to heart, but she saw hurt flash across her friend’s eyes. She frowned as Chaeyoung stood up, moving towards the exit. Dahyun ran after her, and Tzuyu was tempted to go too, but Jihyo still had her arm around her. She had been the victim of this whole mess, so right now she was Tzuyu’s priority.

“I can’t believe we’re not the cutest couple anymore.” Jeongyeon sighed.

“Speak for yourself.” Nayeon flipped her hair. “No one can come close to matching my cuteness.”

Tzuyu opened to dispute that claim, but Jihyo nudged her and she remembered her promise. Sighing, she forced a fake smile onto her face.

“Well when your hair is in pigtails you do look very adorable.”

Nayeon stared at her, gobsmacked. Tzuyu cranked her fake smile a little wider on her face, ignoring Jihyo shaking with laughter beside her.

“I do look adorable in pigtails.” Nayeon said, her eyes narrowed.

“I agree.” Tzuyu said, with all the cheer she could muster.

Nayeon just stared at her, baffled. Jihyo gave her a pat on the shoulder, partly affectionate and partly proud.

Mina hopped up on the stage, and the music started up again. Jihyo nodded to the dancefloor, her eyes sparkling.

“May I have this dance?”

“You may.” Tzuyu smiled.

As the instrumental to U & I by Toy started playing through the speakers on stage, Tzuyu pulled Jihyo close, dancing slowly like they were the only two in the room. Jihyo looked up at Tzuyu, and her smile, oh it was dazzling. Seeing it this close, Tzuyu felt like she was staring into the sun. If she went blind from looking at Jihyo’s smile it was a price she’d gladly pay.

Here, slowly swaying in a circle with Jihyo, Tzuyu felt like every mistake, every piece of guilt and pain, had been worth it just to reach this moment. Jihyo was a warm, soothing presence against her, and Tzuyu loved her so, so much.

She leant in with a smile to give Jihyo a kiss and prayed that the song never ended.


Dahyun drove them home in silence. She seemed to get that Chaeyoung wasn’t in a mood to talk. She probably knew why too, but if she wasn’t going to bring it up than neither was Chaeyoung.

She got out as soon as the car stopped at the dorm. As she made her way into their room and flopped down on her bed, she half expected Dahyun to drive back to the bar. Instead, she heard the door unlock and footsteps grow louder, until Dahyun sat down on her own bed.

“It’ll be ok Chae.”

“Shut up.” She mumbled, her words muffled by a pillow. “Don’t patronise me.”

“I’m not.” Dahyun said softly. “I’m just saying, it won’t always hurt this bad.”

“Won’t it?” Chaeyoung laughed bitterly. “The girl you love loves you back. You don’t know anything about how much this hurts, Dahyun.”

Dahyun was silent, and if Chaeyoung didn’t already feel awful she’d probably feel bad for being so rude to the one person who was trying to help her.

“If karma is real, then it’ll keep hurting.” she said, half into her pillow. “What kind of person sabotages their best friend’s love life just because they’re jealous?”

“Tzuyu won’t be mad at you for this.” Dahyun said confidently. “She loves you, Chaeng. You know that.”

“Not like she loves Jihyo.” Chaeyoung said, not even trying to hide her bitterness.

She thought about the joy on Tzuyu’s face as she came back in, holding hands with Jihyo. She’d never seen Tzuyu look that happy.

“Not the way I want her to love me.” she whispered.

She’d never said it out loud, but Dahyun’s lack of a reaction confirmed to Chaeyoung that she’d already known. She hoped to God Dahyun was the only one who’d figured it out. She didn’t think she could stand anyone else knowing.

“Why couldn’t she love me like that Dahyun?” she asked, hating how pathetic she sounded. “We’ve been best friends for ages and she never once saw that we could be more, but Jihyo comes along and suddenly she’s head over heels. Why wasn’t I ever an option?”

Dahyun sat there, thinking. Chaeyoung buried her face in her pillow, tempted to scream until her voice went hoarse.

“I don’t know Chae.” Dahyun said at last. “Love is just mean sometimes.”

There was nothing funny about that, but Chaeyoung laughed. If she didn’t laugh she’d start crying, and she really wasn’t up for that right now.

She flipped over and lay back in the bed, picturing the matching smiles on Tzuyu and Jihyo’s faces as they announced their new relationship status. Chaeyoung had wanted to throw up, realising that for the first time ever, her plan had failed.

They were probably still in the bar. Maybe they were out on the dance floor, or maybe they were cuddling on the seats near the wall. Either way, they were probably as happy as a pair of newlyweds.

Chaeyoung felt like she would never be happy again.