Questions et réponses

No rest for the Wicked

Music for this is: César Cui – Questions et réponses, from Kaleidoscope

I'm trying to manage my time and write more often, but it doesn't going that well for me. I hope you still like it, even after this long of a hiatus.

 


 


 

Kang Hee Gun, not fast enough!”

Laughter erupted when the man tried to follow the guidance, spinning faster and faster and faster on his toes (or more likely his sole)… which only resulted in failing and barely stopping himself before falling flat on his face.

Idiot” Jong Kook whispered to himself then chuckled as he watched the others. They lined up and did the routine one by one while a man played the piano softly not far from them. The madam was rather patient with them today. She guided the men easily, not screaming at them that much, or not as much as she usually did. Maybe she didn’t mind their mistakes because they weren’t professionals and wouldn’t stay at the academy for long? Or did she just gave up on them altogether?

A sudden voice woke him up from his train of thoughts.

Kim Jong Kook-ssi, sorry for making you wait” The man turned his head towards the woman approaching him and stood up immediately. Choi Yeo Jin, if he recalled her name correctly.

Not a problem at all. I have just arrived as well.” He reassured her politely, bowing in her way.

Let’s just go to my office then.” Jong Kook nodded, following the young woman. They only walked down the corridor to find the tiny room. Yeo Jin offered him the chair in front of the table, also some tea. Jong Kook took both of them, watching the woman as she brought some water for the electric cattle, meanwhile Jong Kook choose a teabag from the wooden box. It was hard to chose, really, she had many kind of different blands, many of whom he never heard of, European, mostly british brands. He went with the Chinese green tea in the end. That was familiar for him.

Is it about the year end performance” started the woman with a smile, though there was some heavy feelings in her eyes. Bad news, it seemed.

He knew about the performance of course. The trainer and the madam decided that the ballet lessons went well enough that they started to put a program together for a dance night to showcase everyone’s talents. It was a great advertisment for both the Ballet Academy and their Boxing gym. People liked out of ordinary, and their collaboration was along the lines. It had some solo performances but also one, that all of the boxers did together. Jong Kook became part of that. It had a segment, where they had to dance together with female professional ballet dancers of the academy, but Jong Kook, as he came too late, never had the chance to meet or train with his partner. He thought maybe he will finally get to know his partner’s name.

The water boiled up, so she poured its content to the mugs. Jong Kook accepted his tea with a slight nod.

It’s about your partner for the performance” started the younger woman, but her smile slowly disappeared. “How do I put it” she mused with an embarrassed chuckle. “We will have to get you a new one. Sorry, but you have to wait a little bit longer.”

Ah, really?” He asked politely, not really understanding the story.

Your partner earned a scholarship at the Shanghai Ballet Academy. She won’t have time to train with you.”

I see” he nodded.

But I will do my best to find someone as soon as possible so you can join the others.”

It’s okay. Thank you for the effort” He smiled.

It’s not that he was disappointed. He didn’t really want to join the training program at all, let alone the year end performances. But he started to see the benefits of the training. It improved his stamina, just as Hee Gun promised it would. But performing in really thight clothes in front of hundreds of people didn’t thrill him the least. He secretly hoped that they wouldn’t even find a partner for him so he have to ditch the performance altogether.


 

~*~

 

Watching the boxers train was one thing. It was quite entertaining actually. Their progress was admirable, but their movements were still stiff and funny. Standing far from them with her coffee, watching silently was her game.

Performing with them – on the other hand – was an entirely different thing, one which she dismissed with a hearty laugh. After glancing at the younger woman’s face and noticing the visible nervousness, Ji Hyo laughed more.

Unnie c’mon! I was serious!” Whined Yeo Jin then sipped her tea. The warm mug helped to melt her fingers in the slight cold outside. “They need one more dancer and I can’t find anybody here. You know Jeon So Min, right? She was going to do it, but she is going to Shanghai.”

Who?” Ji Hyo asked nonchalantly, while inhaling her cigarette, then tipped the ash from the end onto the ground. A car drove down the street, almost blinding their eyes with the lights. Yeo Jin waited for the car to pass by them, then turned back to her friend.

Jeon So Min” She barely remembered the girl from training, because she came to their Institute after Ji Hyo quit from there. Then they meat again at this Academy by chance once. “You know…” They probably even trained together for a short while. Short, because Ji Hyo quit soon again. Yeo Jin remembered how ugly the behavior of the others were, so reminding the older woman of that period of her life, probably wasn’t the wisest idea. She decided to change the subject. “Anyway. They need another performer now. And you have time, right?”

It’s not really about the time” sighed Ji Hyo, smoke leaving her lungs slowly. She looked up at the dark, slightly cloudy sky. “Time, that I have. But things changed, and you know it well. I’m not performing anymore. Not on the stage.”

Yeo Jin watched her for a while, trying to figure out if Ji Hyo is just playing hard to get, but she quickly came to the conclusion, that the older woman won’t budge. She knew that it would take a lot to get her to do it, but Yeo Jin didn’t want to give up so easily. Getting back her friend on her feet was a dear challenge. Getting her on stage again was part of her plan. Jeon So Min getting that scholarship actually came at the right time.

It’s not even that great of a performance. We are talking about boxers for god’s sake, with only a few months of dancing experience. Even if you don’t train hard, you would still be great. Greater than any of them. Greater than some of our own trainees that I was able to get to perform with the guys. Not that they are horrible, don’t get me wrong. But you know, they are still a bit young and inexperienced. Especially compared to you.”

Yeo Jin-ah” she said slowly, exhaling smoke yet again. Ji Hyo looked deeply in her friends eyes. “I am not afraid to do it.” She stopped, giving emphasis to her words, while she picked at her cigarette. Ash landed on her shoes, but she didn’t care. “I’m not willing to do it. Anything that have to do with this milieu disgusts me. Me, using up my network to be able to dance here once in a while, disgusts me as well. I’m not the lead of the industry anymore. And I want to keep it that way.”

Yeo Jin just let out a defeated sigh and sipped her tea. Ji Hyo spoke some hard words, but it wasn’t really enough to scare her off, really. Yeo Jin knew that Ji Hyo’s mouth was rougher than her heart. Way rougher. She just learnt to talk ill after people really wronged her. Getting scars did that to people. Yeo Jin got it. She was there to see it happen. It was a defense mechanism. But she didn’t feel that Ji Hyo had to defend herself from her. They were friends and she wanted to best for her. “Okay, I will leave you alone for now. Just wanted to tell you another thing” With a naughty little smile, she leaned closer to her friend’s ear. “You would be the partner of the biggest hottie” with a barely there whisper, she added. “Kim Jong Kook.”

Silly” chuckled Ji Hyo, and pushed her friend away gently. As if that would cause her to change her mind. She saw enough fine men in her life. They gave her the hardest time usually.


 

~*~


 

Yeo Jin started to casually mention the year end performance to her every day. They were mostly just off comments, really. How the training goes really well, how some of the boxers are showing great improvements, how some of the men can grab the chance to do the solo performance as well. The other parts of the story, that Kim Jong Kook still doesn’t have a permanent partner, comes off of easily as well, but not as often. She doesn’t pressure Ji Hyo hard, but gently nudges her about it every now and then. Going off hard would do no good. Ji Hyo can be quite stubborn and strong if she wants to be. Her emotional wounds still aren’t healed completely, it seemed, so Yeo Jin didn’t want to be too forceful.

But Ji Hyo was not stupid, she understood what game Yeo Jin was playing on her. It was entertaining at first, but she started to became slightly annoyed. She already told her answer. A ‘No’ is a ‘No’.

Though she didn’t want to take part in this madness, Yeo Jin reached one goal. The performance picked her curiosity to say the least. The piece they chose for the year end performance was a fairly new one by a Russian director who did mostly comtemporary ballet pieces and it had several male roles (still not enough for the many boxers, so the Madam had to lessen it a bit). The story took place in the Second World War and displayed the emotions of soviet soldiers at the frontline. The part where the soldiers dance with female partners are a scene, where the soldiers, sick of starvation, and under the grip of trauma, get delirious dreams of their loves back in the hinterland, at the same time.

Ji Hyo actually never heard of such a play. It turned out, because theaters never bothered with the choreography in South Korea. It required too many male dancers, which the country didn’t have. Until now, it seemed. Also, it wasn’t your usual neo-classical piece. It was contemporary. It showed in the movements. The woman thought that it had to do with the lack of experience of the fighters, but later she realized, that they followed the instructions well, even if a bit clumsy at times.

Contemporary ballet... It brought back memories she was ready to bury. In Russia, classical ballet ruled, and other countries neiughbouring Russia took up that side more quickly as well. The contemporary side wasn’t going very strong, so it was a very small and and creative community, especially in South Korea where not many people danced ballet professionally to begin with. Ji Hyo liked the energy, and this piece, it was just that. A great reminder of her past life.

It was an interesting sight, really, even from afar, behind the window of the main entrance of the practice room. She hid there, watching the practice wordlessly. They were actually in the middle of the main act, where the soldiers dream of their lovers back home. Female dancers she barely knew, danced next to the men, barely touching each other. They were, judging by the fresh faces, in the junior classes, not even of age. Or at least, probably only like five of them were over 20 years old, if any.

” she breathed out, with a smirk appearing on her lips. Another reason not to participate in this madness. What an embarrassment! How could Yeo Jin even suggest… No! Even think of such an idea?! Ji Hyo would be the oldest dancer for sure. With her level, with her talent, it is a huge downgrade, to dance in such an elementary school level adaptation of that piece. No!

She fumed, turning her head away from the people. She started to pace up and down the corridor, thinking. Why would anyone want her there? They seriously thought so lowly of her? That she would only be able to take part in a beginner class?

SHE was the ballerina! SHE owned the stage god dammit! SHE was who…

She stopped in her tracks, staring down the corridor and the big doors. She stepped closer to the doors and glanced at the practicing men behind the glass windows.

With a smirk, she noted. Yes. She was. Past tense. Period. She is no longer Korea’s it girl. Time to accept that, honey.

She looked up and started to watch the practice again. Despite her efforts, her eyes always found a man, one man only. Kim Jong Kook. He was certainly a sight though. Male ballet dancers sported a strong appearance, but they weren’t overly muscular. Jong Kook in his wife beater was seriously bulky, even among the other fighters. She thought that such an appearance would be a downgrade in performance, but he proved her wrong. He showed the most effortless movements, and moved with the flow of a young river. His partner, whom Ji Hyo recognized as Jeon So Min, moved equally gracefully, yet fast. His hands landed on her hips and he lifted the girl with such expertise, it surprised her. Wasn’t this man who joined the last? He should be the worst here! Yet he was precise beyond his experience. His hands were big, dwarfing the girls torso, then her hand, when he put her down and grabbed her wrist, yet they performed naturally the routine.

The other out of ordinary sight was Kang Hee Gun. He was different. He wasn’t precise, he made mistakes. What made him stand out was his big smile thorough the routine. He genuinely enjoyed the task and owned it.

Wait.

He wasn’t actually making mistakes. His moves followed what others did. No, he just danced differently somehow. Ji Hyo remembered, that when a dancer, who starts to do ballet after years of practicing another genre, sometimes brought the other movements into their ballet. The man was doing the same. While someone who previously danced jazz ballet and came over to ballet, didn’t look that odd, this man was odd. He was trying to B Boi his way into ballet, or so it seemed, which didn’t work that well. The madam noticed it too and yelled at the man to behave already.

Her eyes fell back on Jong Kook. As the man put his hand on So Min’s hip again, she, for a millisecond, felt his hand on her own hips, as if she was his partner instead, just as Yeo Jin wanted. The phantom feeling scared her, and she pushed the thought away. That can’t be. She can’t do that. That would be degrading. Dancing among talentless fighters and teenage girls… no. She can’t do that. Even if it is contemporary. That would be the last nail on her coffin, she can bury her non-existent career there and then.

God.

She needed a cigarette…


 

~*~


 

An hour, and five cigarette thread later, she was still standing at the backdoor of the Academy, watching as people left the building to find their cars, one after the other. The moon was already starting to rise, and the autumn weather chilled her to her bones, yet she was unable to move.

Not doing the performance was one thing. Realizing that she had nothing else to do, for a few years now, was another thing. She didn’t do a thing, damnit. She can continue on doing it – the nothing, really – but where would that lead her?

She was stuck. In life. In relationships. In goals (but what goals?). In love. She was unbearably stuck, unable to move. Her anxiety didn’t let her go further, and her pride didn’t let her go back. But the now, the present state was so uneventful, one can only live just a wasteful life like her only for a short while, yet she lived it for years.

Even thinking about this pathetic truth, irked her. She reached for another cigarette, right after finishing off the last one.

Good evening!” All of a sudden, a male voice came, right next to her, pulling her out of the deep thought-flow right away. She looked up and saw Kim Jong Kook standing in front of her, with a gym bag in hand. “Sorry to interrupt you…”

It’s okay” Ji Hyo said, raising her hand, to light up her cigarette once more. The ligher clicked once, twice, three times, four… then fire appeared finally. Smoke emerged, and she pulled the thread away from . “Is there something you wanted to…” What, ask? Say? Do? What does this have to do with her though?

Yes” he answered hesitantly. “Do you perhaps have some time now? To talk maybe?”

Maybe?” Ji Hyo asked with a smirk. “Maybe to talk?”

No” he said, pressing his lips into a thin line of frustration. “Definitely to talk.”

Ji Hyo thought for a minute, then continued. “May I ask about what?”

Jong Kook hesitated, glanced sideways for a second, before turning back to the woman. Ji Hyo followed his sight and noticed a group of men by the backdoor. One of them – she noticed it was Kang Hee Gun – glanced at her, holding her gaze until Jong Kook spoke up. “It’s important.” He cleared his throat. “About ballet…”

About the year-end performance, you mean” Ji Hyo corrected and teared her gaze away from the other man.

Yes” he admitted. “Can we talk? I will buy you some dinner if that is okay.”

And soju” added the woman. As far as she knew, the man was older than her, so her disrespectful tone was seriously pushing the limit. But she always knew when it is okay to do that. Her smirk and big eyes did the magic for her every time. Men fell for that. Sometimes it was a blessing, sometimes it was a curse though.

And soju” nodded the man. “Of course.” His eyes told her that he viewed her attitude as rather playful then disrespectful.

She pushed her cigarette into the cemetery of cigarette butts and pushed herself away from the wall.


 

~*~


 

They escaped the wandering eyes of his boxing mates, and ended up at the blessing coverage of a corner tteokbokki store down the street. It was open until midnight and it also served alcohol in the tent. Ji Hyo, satisfied with her serving of spicy, juicy and red rice cake deliciousness, munched with a small smile. The corners of Jong Kook’s lips turned upwards for a second upon seeing her delight, but he quickly got rid of that, feeling weird. He didn’t knew the woman, who is he to smile at her like a creep?

As the soju arrived with two shot glasses, Ji Hyo, as the younger one of the two, poured for both of them. She raised one glass towards the man, but he declined politely.

Why?” She asked frowning. “I watched you at the party last time as well. You don’t drink?”

No” He shook his head.

Ji Hyo watched him intently for a few seconds. Seconds that seemed like minutes for him, as her eyes were quite soul-piercing. He really didn’t like to feel intimidated besides the ring. Especially by women and those knowing eyes. He felt too open.

Are you an ex-alcoholic?” she asked suddenly, then continued on munching her tteokbokki.

What?” He asked, totally dumbfounded, maybe a little offended too. All her pushes and games did nothing, but this simple questions set him off. Who is she to ask that? And on top of that, it was totally ridiculous anyway. “Why would you assume… this is…”

You seem angry” she continued, while chewing the rice cakes. A little redness appeared on the corners of her lips which strangely attracted Jong Kook. No, it irked him, he wanted to clean her face. Her mother taught him manners at the table, he didn’t like it when people didn’t eat nicely and made a mess, even if it was an accident. “Why? Being alcoholic is not a bad thing. Well, it’s not a good thing either, it is just… a state. There is no offense in that.”

Look, I wasn’t an alcoholic.” He sighed, not really understanding this nonsense she was talking about.

Oh” She nodded, taking a shot of her soju first, turning away from him to show manners. “Well, I thought. I had some friend back then. He was an alcoholic and the best way for him to heal was to stop it altogether. After that we only went for tea. I’ve never met anyone else who didn’t drink at all.”

Well…” He sighed, again, pinching his nose bridge. This woman started to tire him out somehow. “There are many reasons for a person not to drink. I take care of my health, and alcohol does no good. I want to spare brain cells.”

Ji Hyo watched him again, and it really unnerved him. Why wasn’t she saying anything? What is she searching in him? He didn’t like that. The control was all with her, and it was also over his person and reasons. He wasn’t there to discuss that.

I see then” she said, and drank another shot. What was with her, really? “What did you wanted to talk about?” she asked between two bites, changing the subject. Jong Kook wanted to do that himself, but she went before him.

Yes” He nodded and started to gather his thoughts. “As you may know, we are going to perform in December and we need female partners for an act. My partner, Jeon So Min-ssi is going abroad soon so she can’t practice with me for too long actually. I am looking for another partner. Many of whom I spoke to were too busy or too young and wasn’t allowed to join, so I am left with limited options.”

Ji Hyo respected his honesty, really. He wasn’t fooling around and told her that she was a leftover, someone you talk to after everyone else declines. At least he was playing with his cards upwards.

Why me?” she asked, pushing her plate away while they were talking

Jong Kook watched her, there was still a little bit of smear around . Gosh, why won’t she just clean it off… “I heard…” he sighed, trying to clean his mind. “ I heard that you are a great dancer, and you don’t have to prepare for other performances now. I thought maybe you could help.”

Why is it important for you? To have a partner, I mean.” She continued. Her face was emotionless, he was unable to read her. He was usually good at this, saw intentions in others before it even crossed their minds. It was a defense mechanism he had to develop if he wanted to survive in the ring. And also in life. The key is: the eyes. Orbs tell everything. If someone was to launch an attack, and also from what direction. Or if someone was sizing him up. Out of ordinary confidence showed when someone did neither, but courageously stared into his eyes, without batting even an eyelid.

But she was different. She was closed off in front of him, yet she wanted to see everything. Even though she was great at it, it was also telling. He knew those eyes.

They were his.

His, maybe five years ago. She wasn’t trustful. She was desperate to protect herself in every way possible. She was similar to him in a way nobody else before was. It was a revelation that surprised him. He could finally see her intentions again, she wasn’t closed off anymore. She was a fighter, like him – he realized. A fighter in a dancer’s body. But her demons was off the ring. Well, his too, now.

Jong Kook smiled for himself. “Just a second” He stood up and went to the bar and took a napkin off the counter. Sitting back down, he handed to her.

She took it, looking a little puzzled and cleaned . Her guard was down. “Thank you”.

So it makes sense” he answered the question after delay, when she put down the napkin.

Sorry…” She shook her head, not really understanding what that meant.

I started going to those ballet sessions to learn new skills” he explained. “If I can’t prove myself – and in the meantime also others – that I’m capable of those skill, it is as if I never learned them, and that thought annoys me honestly. You practice techniques and go to the ring, nevermind you lose or win. You go into the ring. It is the same. I learn the basics of ballet, and I go to the performance. Except if I don’t have a partner, I can’t go at all. And if I can’t go, I can’t prove.”

She was speechless for several seconds, trying to process his words, but the rawness strucked her.

And why you” he said, asking the question, that was definitely coming, instead of her. “Well. The others are training with teens. Don’t get me wrong, those girls are quite talented. I am in no position to say that they aren’t” he added with a smile. “But to be honest, I am even older than much of the guys there. Dancing with kids just feels wrong. That’s why I was happy So Min came, as she is already in her twenties.”

So only because I’m an old bag?” she smirked and took a shot.

No!” he said quickly. Talking about woman’s age was a dangerous territory, he needed an escape quickly. “And I am probably older than you, if you say that, you say I am an old bag too!”

She chuckled at that. It was a new sound to his ears as she was always rather serious, sometimes even sulky. Maybe she was getting tipsy, maybe she was letting lose in his presence, which, he knew from her game, could be a rare thing. She was trusting him in a way?

He saw that she was contemplating something. “If you don’t mind me asking…”

How old I am?” He asked, to clarify it. He thought about it, then gave in. He was the one to bring up age anyway. “Thirty-four” She nodded, taking another bite of her tteokbokki, but this time, she wiped her face afterwards. “If you don’t mind either…” He was curious too, but was afraid to word it wrong.

Me?” She smiled, averting her gaze. “Twenty-nine.”

5 years, it is – he thought about it. He feared it would be a lot more, as her face is so youthful and her eyes are unusually big, giving strong character to her face. It doesn’t look odd at all though. But such large eyes, yet they are so unreadable most of the time.

Anyways” he tried to change the subject. “Age is really just a tiny matter. My others reasons are more important.” At that, she started to watch him again, with those soul-searching eyes. It was starting to unnerve him and made him think his words at least twice before saying it. Why was she making him feel this way? “When I saw you dance that day…” She nodded to ensure him that she also remembered. “I started to get curious about you because of your choice of the song.” He admitted carefully. It is not like he was admitting his love. He thought, this much he can say.

Dance of the Knights. What about it?” She asked, arching an eyebrow slightly.

When I was still active…” He thought carefully, and his eyes left hers. A moment of weakness, not good. He straightened his back, looking back at her. “You know, we use music in the boxing industry as an entry.”

And you used Prokofiev?” She finished the sentence for him. He nodded. “What a coincidence” A smile appeared on her lips.

Yes. And your dance was interesting. I think your style would suit the piece we are preparing for the performance.”

Ji Hyo thought about it for a moment. She took her chopsticks and ate another rice cakes before answering. Meanwhile, Jong Kook watched her chewing softly and slowly, the waiting getting on his nerves a lot. He was not here to beg and he hoped the woman wasn’t playing too much with her. He will call it a day. But eventually the woman put down the utensils and looked him in the eye.

Thank you for your offer, Kim Jong Kook-ssi. Your reasoning is flattering, really. And I would like to be of help, but I’m afraid I will have to decline.” She was completely calm and collected, wearing that unreadable face again.

Jong Kook wasn’t buying it. There have to be something that she is hiding and it is definitely not her distaste of him or the whole ordeal. He could gather that much. No, there has to be something else!

I see the question in your eyes” she added, with a small smile. “The thing is, I don’t go on the stage anymore. That part of my life has closed”

Why?” He asked “You are sill young.”

She laughed at that. “Twenty-nine for a dancer is just… pushing it.”

But people at that age can dance still well. I mean you can dance. I saw it.” He added suspiciously.

It is not about my abilities or lack of them” Or not entirely. “It is just... not my thing anymore. Just as you don’t go into the ring anymore.” She finished, then took the soju bottle to pour another drink for herself.

Song Ji Hyo-ssi, th-that is…” He tried to speak up, but she cut in.

Different?” Her eyes were piercing. “How do you know? You had a tough life, I know that to some extent. I had my fair share of disappointments. I look forward to no more.”

He was speechless. He watched as Ji Hyo poured the transparent liquid into the shot glass and drank it right away, then glanced back at him, completely collected. It was a challenge, really, to break that demeanor. He thought about his own bad experiences of being at the wrong side of the wrong people. He paid the price for it heavily. That price being his career, world title, physical wellbeing and for a little while, even his sanity. He has yet to recover.

But he tried at least. That woman… he saw it in her eyes. She wasn’t trying. She was afraid to.

It is different.” He stated. She arched an eyebrow questioningly, urging him to speak. “I no longer let those ‘disappointments’ lead my life.”

Her lips parted slightly – he gave her a strong blow, which put a slightly annoying smirk on his face. Her lips thinned into a line, then she opened to drink again. She wasn’t looking at him anymore. “I don’t go to the ring to offer advises. You shouldn’t offer advises about dance stages, Kim Jong Kook-ssi…” With that, she took her bag, stood up and stormed out of the tent.

God damn it…” the man murmured. He really didn’t want to offend her. On his was outside, he put a bank note into the hand of the old lady, who owned the corner bar, thanking her for the food, and ran outside too. “Song Ji Hyo-ssi!” He yelled after her, but she didn’t stop.

Ji Hyo was fuming. She was in the middle of lighting a cigarette with trembling hands, when the man caught up to her.

Look, I’m really sorry, I didn’t mean to...” He started, but she was not having any of it.

You told me what you wanted. Good night.” She said, taking a blow from the cigarette, walking quite fast.

Just stop for a second” he pleaded with her. She wouldn’t look at her for a second, and he grew more and more agitated. He grabbed her wrist lightly, and the cigarette never made it to her lips. She stopped, glancing at him. Her orbs sent daggers and he feared his life for a second. “I’m sorry” He repeated. “I am in no position to ask anything from you, but I would really appreciate it if you would think about what I just said.”

She took her wrist from his hold, but didn’t walked away just yet. She gazed him, for a long minute, wordless, intently, searching. He gulped uncounciously. Even though the woman was way smaller than him, both height and weight wise, those eyes gave her serious edge. She was razor sharp and was ready to cut his skin if he got any closer.

Why do you force it?” she asked him, not even blinking.

Sorry?” ha asked, not really understanding the turn in her behavior.

You could’ve let it drop, but you didn’t. There is a reason. Why?”

Jong Kook stopped for a second, thinking through the answer before saying It. After hurting her feelings, he could’ve just said sorry and left, but he didn’t, surprising himself too. Chuckling at his loss of words, he shrugged his shoulders. “I think you could call it fellow feeling.” She eyed him, eyebrows raised. It wasn’t the reply she thought she would get.”Look, I know it sounds weird and it is not even an apology or an explanation. I don’t know you. But somehow I feel comfortable with the idea that you would dance with me. Don’t get me wrong, Jeon So Min-ssi is a very nice person. But she is just… she has a different personality.”

She got what he meant. The girl had weirdly bubbly energy.

The cigarette slowly burned to the bum, the fire felling asleep, without any of them noticing it. She still eyed him, but less suspiciously. She didn’t really understand where did that feeling come from, nor did it change her mind, but it calmed her down at least.

I just got the feeling that we had similar experiences in life.” he finished talking, averting his eyes.

Okay” She nodded and for a long moment, watched him. “Still, I will be on my way. Good evening.”

He watched her walk down the street, then rushed his hands up in his hair, tousling it up completely. That was a weird encounter and he didn’t even understand how did it go so wrong. But one thing was sure. When she questioned his intentions and he answered with a surprising truthfulness, that got him thinking. It revealed something in him, that wasn’t entirely open yet. He did feel similarity, mainly about how she viewed life, her attitude felt very familiar to his not much younger, but still past self. Truth is, he never drank and smoked like she did, but he understood the addiction and how it can consume a person. He had his share too: exercising. It was for health too, but when a feeling overwhelmed him, he had to beat it out on a bag. And if he didn’t have the chance, that irked him badly.

But what did make her this way? It really got him curious. There was no way to ask it, that night proved her one thing.

But strangely, right after he got home, he found himself in front of his laptop, googling her name. It didn’t gave away much, it wasn’t that rare name, so he typed ballet also. Then his screen got flooded with information. Information, that he wasn’t ready to know, so he never opened the links, but the headlines spoke for themselves anyway.

Drama at the SICOBA: Seoul Institute for Contemporary Ballet, three dancers fired, the director resigned.

The long awaited ballet adaptation of Seven Colours at SICOBA is shown at December 17th.

Song Ji Hyo, also known for her role, ‘Scarlette’, left the Seoul Institute for Contemporary Ballet.

Change in line-up! The main roles switched in the famous ballet adaptation of Seven Colours midway.

[Breaking] Insiders confirmed, ballet dancer Song Ji Hyo left the company because of an injured foot. This is the end of a bright career?

He watched the screen in ave, having a tight know in his stomach. Who are you?