Dance of the Knights

No rest for the Wicked

So that’s it. This is the first chapter, where our story begins. Hope you will like it and find this AU interesting to read.

It’s important to note that I’m not an expert in either ballet (or any dance for that matter) and I also have little to no knowledge about martial arts. This story will contain however plenty of it. I just want to tell you in advance that errors should happen. If I write something really stupid, please explain it to me, so I can make it a little bit more realistic if that’s possible.

The song that they mention in this chapter, and which also the one I’m referring to in the title, is, Dance of the Knights by Prokofiev


 

Dance of the Knights.

Not only his sharp memory, but his body verified his suspicion about the Prokofiev piece. That sound, the thrilling sea of string instruments against his ears, he can recognize it anywhere, anytime. His reaction to it was not entirely conscious to say the least. He stopped in his tracks, his muscles tensed up, fists balled next his sides. He just couldn’t help it. Anger rose in his veins, boiling, yet his face looked entirely collected.

“Kim Jong Kook-ssi?” Upon hearing the soft voice, he brushed his thoughts away and glanced at the woman only a few meters ahead, glancing back over her shoulder. She looked rigid, not only the expression displayed on her face, but the way her long hair was pulled back into a neat bun, and her rose coloured shirt was tucked nicely into her black, knee length skirt. Her stance was graceful, complimenting her petite figure, even from the back.

“Sorry” he said, bowing lightly and followed the woman again. “I just realized that I forgot something.” he came up with that excuse for his behavior. And it was true. He did forgot about that song. His brain blocked the emotions attached to it in a form of self protection. And now here it was, clear and loud, echoing in his skull.

The woman didn’t seem to care anyhow. Jong Kook could tell that all she was focused on was to accompany him to his destination and go back to her work as soon as possible, not really sparing even a glance at him. If she recognized him at all, she showed no sign of that. She wasn’t one to the polite small talk either, but the man didn’t mind it at all.

They were nearing the room the sound originated from. The long hallway was filled with the echos of the string instruments. It was rather eerie, to be honest. The dark wooden floor, soft brown walls, wooden doors were barely illuminated by the descending sun. And then, on top of that, was the song.

That damned song.

“What is she thinking…” the woman murmured in a low tone, but he was still able to hear it. Without warning, the woman stepped in front of him and marched into the room. As soon as she opened the door, the previously not that loud sound of the Dance of the Knights intensified, filling the corridor completely.

“Song Ji Hyo-ssi!” The woman yelled through the noise. Jong Kook glanced over her shoulder and saw another female in there, dancing to the music.

Dancing? More like fighting. Her moves were powerful, yet flawless. He recognized ballet movements of some sort he saw in movies, but her dance was not so typical graceful or innocent. His idea of ballet was a bunch of small dancers dressed in white tipping on their toes softly to the music. This woman was anything, but that. Even alone, she filled the spacious room, completely absorbed in the routine. Her hair was let down, most of it flew around as she jumped here and there, but some locks stuck to her sweaty skin. She only wore a black tank top and leggings, highlighting her small waist and curves well.

His companion huffed and went to the record player, lifting the needle sporting an annoyed look. The silence that suddenly took the place of that hated song was ringing harshly against his ears. The dancer stopped, panting, and turned to look at her intruder. Her eyebrows were knitted, yet her face looked somewhat blank. Drops of sweat were running down her jawline.

“Sorry to interrupt” started the woman looking anything, but sorry. “But others have lessons on this floor too. You shouldn’t play music so loudly.”

The dancer raised her arm to brush the sweat off of her forehead with the back of her hand in a nonchalant movement, then nodded. Definitely not that girly – Jong Kook thought.

“I’m sorry. It won’t happen again” she said, then turned her back on them, watching herself in the mirror that covered the entire wall. She raised her arm and one of her legs, probably her starting position, and continued to dance, now without the help of music. The woman in skirt just huffed again, murmuring something about “this” being egregious and left. Jong Kook took a last glance at the dancer and noticed that while she was moving she kept her eyes on him through the mirror. He couldn’t read anything on her face. There was no question there, nor annoyance. If she dreaded him being there and watching her, she showed no sign of that. She just watched him intently, making him feel as if she knew every secrets of his soul, which was a ridiculous thought. Quickly he turned his back on her as well and jogged after the young lady.

At the end of the corridor were the room they were probably heading. Behind a double door, he could see even from afar that people were moving in there. Lots of people. Men, he knew well once. Arriving there, his companion opened one of the doors and peaked in, making sure she is not disturbing anything important. It was in her body language. She hunched her shoulders for the first time he met her and glanced behind the door as if she saw secrets in there that are forbidden from her. Jong Kook followed her line of vision and saw a middle aged woman at the other side of the room, opposite to the men by the bars instructing them, showing the moves they were to follow.

The older lady noticed them and with a slight wave of her hands, the men stopped their movements and she walked down between them to meet the newcomers. His companion greeted her with upmost respect showing a graceful bow.

“Another little pupil?” The older woman asked, her tone even, yet kind. She measured him with her gaze, looking him up and down. “Or not so little.” She added, tilting her head to the side. She glanced at his muscular form, broad shoulders and well defined chest muscles before lifting her gaze up to meet his face.

“He was added to the program this morning, Madame” the little woman said.

Jong Kook could see, this person was respected. Greatly so. The other one back in the other room, not so much. He wondered why.

“We already started the training. Two weeks ago to be specific.” the Madame said, eyeing him intently. “Latecomers are never easy to deal with and don’t think I should at all.” Her voice was sharp, but her body stayed still and graceful.

“I will catch up” Jong Kook said, straightening his back.

Funny. Why was he fighting his way to be able to dance ballet with the other s, again? He glanced at Gary over the woman’s shoulder and could see that he fought back a cocky grin, biting down on his lower lip. His eyes gave him away.

“Why would I believe you? These untalented heard of delinquents are a challenge, why would I need another one to look after?” To his surprise, there was no malice or challenge in her voice. She was stating facts, maybe even genuinely curious of his answer.

“I’m a fast learner and dedicated to my work.” He said, holding back his annoyance. “Let me prove that through actions.”

The woman eyed him for pregnant seconds, then turned her back on him, walking back to her original position.

“Monday at eight in the morning. Don’t be late.” She stopped, turning back to her class, then looked back at him, while saying. “Écarté. Straighten the legs!” The men followed her instructions, grabbing the bars by one hand while raising the other one above their heads. Every muscle flexed as they tried to master the moves, focusing on the task.

Geez. They weren’t good.

Even Jong Kook could see that. Some of them were better, among the few was Gary. The guy tried hard, he admired that. If this will really have a positive effect on their performance and fighting skills, then it might not be that ridiculous at all.

The woman in skirt urged him to leave and started to talk to him about equipment he needed. She also listed shops he can purchase pointe shoes if he didn’t have one.

Of course he didn’t have one. Why in the world would he need one if it were not for this ridiculous program?

She also went on about the schedule, saying that the Madame didn’t like disrespectful and undisciplined people. They were passing by the room where they saw the black dancer and he found himself glancing to her direction through the small window on the door. She was still at it, an amazing sight to see. Although as they passed by the door, too quickly so, he heard faint sounds of Dance of the Knights again, this time she indeed payed attention not to disturb anyone.

He wondered again, why would she chose that song to dance to on the exact same day he passed by her. Was it incidental? Or did ballet dancers chose this song often?

Maybe it is important only to him.

Yet, he couldn’t beat the sight out of his head how she danced with powerful moves as the song reached its .

 

~*~

 

She was interrupted. For the second time that day. Usually they let her be as she likes, but the music was cut off again which surprised her. Was it too loud again? She made sure it wasn’t though. But other than that, who would need her for anything else? People avoided her, rarely started conversations even, why would someone not only look for her, but even would want to say something so important that worth stopping her music?

Ji Hyo stopped her piques, feeling a little lightheaded. Glancing at the direction of her record player and saw a tall figure standing there.

“Had dinner yet?” Yeo Jin asked with a kind smile. She wore a light, cream coloured coat, all buttoned up and her bag was hanging off her shoulder. She was ready to leave.

“Dinner?” Asked Ji Hyo confused. What time was it actually? She often lost track of time if she was too caught up in a new choreography.

“Yes, dinner. A meal people eat in the evening” the younger woman replied chuckling lightly. “It’s already 6 pm, so I thought we could eat something.”

Ji Hyo glanced at the record player again. Her body ached all over, but she still had energy, she still wanted to dance. But then again, Yeo Jin was a dear – well, only – friend of hers, and also the reason she was allowed to use the spare room of the Academy. She shouldn’t be impolite. Not that she would, not with her.

“What do you have in mind?” She asked after all, walking towards her bag that she just threw in the corner. She stretched a little on the ground before pulling her over sized hoodie over her head. She didn’t want to shower just yet. Maybe when she will arrive home.

“Nothing in particular” Yeo Jin shrugged, walking towards her unnie. “Although I do crave jjapchae for a few days now.”

“Fine with me” Ji Hyo nodded, while taking off her black pointe shoes. She massaged her feet a little, as they felt awfully sore. Being on feet for several hours without any break wasn’t the best idea, but she somehow couldn’t stop. Her body needed movement, needed dance. It was such a long time she got to practice this long, and when Yeo Jin told her that the room would be free the whole day, she couldn’t resist. A few stretches eased her burning muscles while her friend talked about how annoying her boss was a few minutes ago with her. Ji Hyo just hummed, not being able to give any good advice. She never got to be a dance instructor. She didn’t know that world well enough. When she was in tue business, still young and naive, the only thing she cared about was dancing. Not bureaucracy.

“How was your day?” Yeo Jin asked, while Ji Hyo got her sneakers on, feeling suddenly embarrassed of talking for too long. But then again, her unnie wasn’t much of a talker nowadays, the silence needed to be filled.

“Good” Ji Hyo said briefly, showing a small smile. “I didn’t do much. I worked on the Dance of the Knights routine mostly.”

“Why did you chose that piece again?” mused Yeo Jin, shaking her head. “It’s soo…”

“Powerful? Versatile?” finished the sentence the older woman, standing up.

“I was about to say harsh.”

Ji Hyo just laughed at that as they headed towards the door. Not that Yeo Jin had any grudge towards the piece, but she preferred to work with pieces that flew like a river. Easy and graceful. That was her forte. Her body was built for that.

On their way to the nearest place that offered Yeo Jin’s desired food, they continued to discuss their day, mostly Yeo Jin telling her about her new class. She is teaching little girls, ages between four and six, to the basics. She also shared stories about certain girls she came to know better.

Ji Hyo was listening to her well, asking questions now and then that gave off the feeling of her actually listening to Yeo Jin, but the younger woman knew better. Ji Hyo spaced out easily, especially when her head was full with something.

“So I was thinking about dying my hair green.” She didn’t even liked green.

Ji Hyo, just nodded and murmured ’that would look good on your’ while she was picking at her noodles with her chopsticks. Yeo Jin just grinned at her. How can she sustain conversations while not even following the conversation? A living wonder.

“Ji Hyo unnie” The younger woman called her a little bit louder this time and it seemed that her friend focused her attention on her finally. “What are you thinking about?” Ji Hyo just raised her eyebrows questioningly. Yeo Jin knew she was about to deny it so she interrupted her with a graceful wave of her hand. “Nah, won’t buy it. Also, you can tell me anything, you know. I won’t laugh. Not even at your jokes to be honest. I mean, excuse me, but your humor is a little bit lame.”

“Yah” Ji Hyo laughed at the sudden criticism. She was only spaced out for a minute and here she is getting insulted about an entirely different thing. It was true though. She rarely told jokes. She was the one to go full sarcasm with a blank face and everyone took her seriously. And then she had to start saving her that she in fact didn’t want to hurt anyone. Life was complicated. “And, it’s really nothing.” She continued, chewing on her food while talking. “Just those… weird men came to my mind.”

“Okay, first” Yeo Jin sighed, frustrated. “Don’t speak while eating like that. It’s gross and you might also choke to death. I don’t want to deal with that.” Ji Hyo knew that the younger one was just joking, so she chuckled lightly, covering with her hand. “And what men? The boxers?”

“Who knows” Ji Hyo just shrugged, sipping her beer. Yeo Jin only drank water because of the calories. Ji Hyo only cared about the alcohol percentage of the beverage. And besides, she wasn’t performing anymore, screw the stupid diets, screw losing weight and watching her figure. No one cared about her work regardless of being skinny or fat. “I didn’t even know up until now that they are boxers. Are they really?”

“As far as I know, yeah. Or at least some of them are” Yeo Jin hummed, thinking about the information she had on the topic. “Madame Cho took them in. The trainer of the boxers is an old friend of hers I heard. Networking gets you anywhere it seems.”

“Why would boxers learn ballet?” Asked Ji Hyo, looking skeptical. It sounded stupid and way too unnecessary. “It’s a bit late for thirty something men to start, isn’t it?”

“It’s just part of their training. Building stamina and flexibility. They also said something about stress relief.”

Ji Hyo started at the younger woman dead in the eyes, then shook her head. “Bull.”

“Unnie” Yeo Jin glanced at her. “You never know. It might really help them.”

“Yeah, maybe. It’s still ridiculous. I’m sure they look down on ballet dancers while they are at it. I hate pretentious people like that.”

“Don’t judge in advance.”

Ji Hyo shrugged and continued eating her food, not looking at her friend. It sounded downright stupid. Why would fighters learn ballet? Why would that help them to fight? Dancers don’t learn how to fight to help them do ballet. Punching bags won’t help you to doing splits midair. What a weird thought. They don’t understand this world, yet enter it just like that. Ballet world was full of judgment and backstabbing on its own, bringing in outsiders would just make that worse.

Even that man. That muscular one, what a big of a bear. She could see he would never be able to dance. And how he watched her, just standing there, shamelessly. She couldn’t particularly read disdain or jest on his face, but she knew it was there, that he thought like that. He looked… grim somehow as he watched her. She didn’t like it. Not at all. His left fist continued to clench and unclench as if he was somehow nervous. Freaking creepy.

“Who knows” Yeo Jin continued. “I might volunteer to teach their classes, it might be interesting.”

Ji Hyo just huffed with a smirk. “You just want someone to warm your bed.”

“Unnie!” The younger exclaimed with a flustered look on her face. A second later she showed a huge grin, taking a piece of carrot in . “Although I do admit they are handful. Some of them are actually good-looking”

“Really…” Ji Hyo just laughed at that. She already pictured most of the girls buzzing around those men, aside from Yeo Jin. They were fresh meet. And even if they weren’t dancers, sportsmen also understand what it takes to be part of this world, having to give up time and socializing in order better themselves every day. The connection is given even if they do different things and their aim are not the same either. Although Ji Hyo didn’t really thought of it as a good idea. Basing love and relationships sorely on looks just wasn’t her thing. She needed to know her partners well before she let them in and was able to build up their romance. However, letting people in wasn’t her forte either, she had serious trust issues and for a very good reason. Her last lover broke her heart, severly so, betraying her when she would need him the most in her life. She not only gave up on friendships, but men and love as well. It meant nothing to her anymore. Most of her relationships were based on mutual interest and not in emotions, few exceptions.

Six years already? Ji Hyo thought. Six years of mistrust and watching her back.  

“Maybe that is what you need” joked Yeo Jin. “A fling with a handsome fighter, right, unnie?”

“Maybe” Ji Hyo smiled. Yeo Jin’s optimism was cute.

Nope.

A fling most definitely wouldn’t help her. Someone, who she can finally trust her life with, would.