End

You and Coffee Keep Me Alive
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Why do I do this to myself?’ I think as soon as I wake up and realize I have (again) barely slept one hour. At times like this, I would rather die than having to leave my house to go to school and listen to the most boring lessons of my life.

Sadly, I also have an extreme obsession with being on time for anything I must attend to, so I force myself to leave my comfortable bed. I hastily change into my school uniform, brush my teeth and then head downstairs to prepare myself a large cup of coffee.

“Hello” I say to my sister who is eating her breakfast.

“Morning Dodo” she replies while looking at her phone.

As the kettle heats the water, I start preparing my coffee. I take from the shelve my blue cup and a spoon. I put a spoonful of coffee in my cup, but I notice something weird, that’s not a spoon, that’s a fork. As I facepalm myself internally, I hear my sister chuckle, she probably saw the mistake I made.

“Doyeon you seriously need to sleep, the dark circles under your eyes are becoming hard to hide, and you keep making these types of equivocations. Like when you threw the leftovers in the washing machine” she comments. If I had slept more I would have laughed, but now I feel irritated with life, so making sure I take a spoon, I decide to ignore her.

I pour the boiling water into my mug of 5 spoons of coffee (I know, that’s not healthy), and start drinking it as fast as I could. I enjoy coffee, but being prepared this way it’s impossible to taste good.

After I revive a little, I take my backpack, shout goodbye to my sister and my sleeping mother, and start walking to school. I live only 10 minutes apart.

With my whole body freezing because it’s winter, I walk down the street.

I recognize some students with the uniform of my school. None of them were familiar faces, I don’t know a lot of people because for several reasons people think I’m scary, mostly because I always look like I want to murder someone, and the fact that I’m tall does not benefit me.

I keep walking, quickly arriving to school. Distracted and still irritated, I enter to my classroom, but instead of walking in, I find myself bumping into someone and instantly falling backwards, because I swear that’s all I do.

Feeling my hurt, I glance at who I bumped into, and the first thought that comes to my mind when I see her face is: ‘So bright’.

Yoo Yeonjung, the brightest girl in school. She always looks so fresh, sleeps at least 10 hours a day, is always smiling and describes the world with sparkles and rainbows. In other words, she is the opposite of me, who wakes up with the need of punching someone, always has a migraine and is fretful the 98% of the time because of the horrible combination of coffee and lack of sleep.

“Oh god I’m sorry are you okay?” Yeonjung apologizes while crouching down to help me.

“Yes, don’t worry” I reply still feeling my in pain, but I decide to just dismiss it, don’t be a cry baby Doyeon.

“You don’t seem okay thought” she protests while observing me, and I notice her face full of worry, no wonder people also call her an angel.

“If you think I look like it’s not because I’m hurt, it’s because its Friday and during the whole week I have only slept 6 hours” I answer a little more aggressive of what I intended to. There is a reason why Sejeong calls me little Satan, and it’s because when I don’t sleep I become mean and tetchy.

“I never thought that you looked like that… I’m just paranoid thinking you are like this because of me” she responds calmly and not surprised at all with my reply.

“It’s… okay” I say as I try to stand up, she stands up before I could, takes my hand and helps me get up. “Thanks” I mumble, she smiles making my state of wanting death to any living thing disappear, and I swear the room is glowing. She doesn’t even try, and she makes me feel more like myself.

“Be safe and goodbye” she says as she leaves.

Recomposing myself, I enter my classroom. Right away I see Yoojung, Sejeong, (Kim) Nayoung and Dani, looking at me wondering what happened.

“Hello” I say as I sit in my table that is next to the window.

“You look dead or drugged, could be both” says Dani teasing me and I already feel like punching a wall. Doyeon breath, it’s just the effect of coffee that’s making you like this.

“I would rather be dead” I reply.

“Just sleep like a decent person and you won’t be like this, also, what happened? I heard someone say, ‘the demon fell because of the angel” asks Sejeong and I almost snort at the new nickname they gave me.

“I see my nickname upgraded from antipathetic to demon, but I ran into Yeonjung and fell back, just that”

“I’m surprised you didn’t yell at her, I would have thought it was because you might have slept more than usual, but I see that’s not the case” points out Sejeong, and it also makes me wonder why I didn’t react that bad, well I won’t question it that much, I at least saved myself from a whole day of regret. Everyone loves Yeonjung, if anyone does something to her you gain rejection of the whole school.

“Who knows, but it’s true what they say, she’s as bright as the sun” I say calmly, gaining the stares of my friends.

“Bright as the sun? Not annoying like you classify every human being?” Says Nayoung with sarcasm and making me a little flustered, I shouldn’t have said that.

“Shut up, now I can’t be nice to anyone because of you all”

“It’s not our fault, to start off, you are the one who is always wishing death upon everyone” corrects Sejeong. I sigh, because now thinking more clearly (cause the coffee is starting to kick in), I can’t deny it.

"Well who cares, I barely have classes with her, and this is the first time I have spoken, kind of, with her" I say trying to change the subject.

"If you bump into her again I will start to think the world is trying to tell you something" says Yoojung and I just ignore her.

It is impossible.

 

 

Two weeks later:

The world hates me, and I hate them back.

I was peacefully drinking my third cup of coffee (because today I didn't sleep at all), when I heard someone shout 'be careful!' way too loudly and hurtful for my ears, but also not in the right time for me to react and avoid the ball going to my direction.

I feel like someone punches the left side of my face, feeling the soreness spread to almost to my whole face, and only registering I spilled half of my coffee when I look down my shirt and pants.

Great, just ing great.

The only positive thing about this situation is that I didn’t fall, and my coffee was already cold, so I didn’t burn myself. However, I start sensing anger and frustration at the person who was so careless to thump me with a ing ball, which feels like a brick just impacted to the side of my face.

I see someone approaching and of course is no other than Yeonjung.

Suddenly all my irritation is gone, and I hate it.

"Oh my god, sorry, seriously at this rate I think you might hate me " Yeonjung says with concern as she approaches me.

"Yeah just a little. God there goes my clothes, my face, and the reason I stay alive, my coffee" I mutter to myself, but naturally Yeonjung hears it.

"I can lend you clothes and buy you a coffee, but for your face you seriously need to go to the infirmary. Let me help you" she says is a kind way but also plainly sounding like an order. She sits next to me, I put my arm around neck and she puts hers around my waist.

I notice that is a lot of skin contact, more than the one I’m normally used to. I stand up with the help of her and I feel a little dizzy, I guess I needed the help.

"You better buy me a cup of coffee soon or I will fall asleep in the infirmary" I say while we walk through the halls of the school, and I perceive people staring at us. Must be weird to see an angel with a demon.

"Okay, I will try. Also wow you are tall, it's actually hard to walk with you"

"Are you calling me fat?" I say jokingly.

"No omg, don't think that I-" she babbles taking it seriously.

"It's a joke, relax" I say smiling.

"Okay... well here we are" she says as she opens the door of the infirmary. Of course, there is no one here, like all the times, so I sit in one of the beds as Yeonjung searches for what I believe could be ice.

Indeed, she was searching that, I confirm it soon after she comebacks with an ice pack.

"Put the ice on the bruised side, don’t stop until I return. I will get you your coffee" I nod, and she gets out. The ice relieves a little the contusion.

Meanwhile I wait alone, to avoid falling asleep I start to process everything that recently occurred.

I was sitting. Then I was getting striked by a ball and I spilled my coffee. I start to feel angry. Yeonjung comes and suddenly all I'm thinking about is her arm around my waist as we walk to the infirmary. This is not normal, she makes me think about things I normally don’t care about and feel things I haven’t felt before. Oh no, please don't tell me it's what I think it is. Kim Doyeon having feelings and for someone who is the contrary of her? What kind of badly written fan fiction is this?

By how I acted maybe I do feel attracted to her, but it's only momentary, it will eventually fade away. Right?

"Doyeon!" I hear someone scream and making me snap of my thoughts. I look where the voice comes from and it's no other than Yeonjung, with coffee in one hand and a brownie in the other.

"Oh, you didn't take long"

"Yeah, luckily recess ended so almost no one is there"

"Thanks..." I say as I receive the coffee.

"Let me help you" Yeonjung says as she now holds the pack of ice with her hand who just gave me the coffee. She retires the ice for a second, looks at my wound, and she gasps, that's not a good reaction.

"It's isn't swollen, but let's says it’s as colorful as a Christmas tree" she admits clearly guilty, lucky her I have a little affection towards her, or I would have shouted at her.

"Well now I bet I look scarier than before" I complain a little while sipping my drink.

"I don't think you are scary thought, just a little irritable" Yeonjung says and it surprises me, well no wonder she's able to speak with me, last time a guy ran away of me before I could even get angry at him for waking me up.

"True..." I agree. Now she gives me the brownie and I start eating it.

We stay in a comfortable silence for a while, but I as well begin to be aware of how painfully close she's to me, since she's still holding the ice. Therefore, I quickly finish my brownie to switch places, before my face starts heating up.

"Switch" I say just moving her hand aside of the bag and now holding it.

"I think you are better now, let me find some pain relief cream to put on your face" she says while smiling I just nod as I drink another sip of my coffee. Has coffee always tasted this good?

"Here" she says as she comes back. I put the bag of ice on the bed and she starts applying the cream on my face.

Her touch caught me by surprise, she's delicate and soft with every movement, but I also feel her fingers as a burning sensation against my freezing face. When d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter