3

Going under

im honestly dreading this chapter bc it's literally just stupid bants

 


 

“Noona, why are you here?”

 

“So you won’t mess up, duh.”

 

Now Woohyun was sitting face to face with the lady, Kim Sunhee to be exact, while enjoying a cup of tea. The old VHS player was still on the counter. When Woohyun asked whether she needed his help to store it back, she replied, “Nah, we’ll be needing it later.”

 

“What do you mean by ‘needing it later’?”

 

She grunted, “You really do talk a lot. Still the same as always.” She ignored the frown on Woohyun’s face and continued, “Do you really thought that I’ll only allow you to watch 3 tapes? There are over 9000 tapes, almost 10000 of them and you expect to remember by only watching 3 of them? Bull.”

 

Woohyun frowned even more, “Then, why did you only allow me to pick 3 tapes in the first place?”

 

“Just for the sake of messing with you,” she shrugged. “It’s quite lonely here and it has been long since I last saw you.”

 

“Wait, when was the last time we saw each other? Do you really mess around with me this much?

Am I always this easy?”

 

“Shh… So much question yet, so little time.” She shifted in her seat and leaned down the counter, seemingly wanting to retrieve something. “I can’t answer all of your questions but this will help you lots.”

 

He looked at the tape slid towards him. “Another one?”

 

“What? Before, you were whining about how you were only allowed 3 tapes and now that I’m giving you an extra one, you don’t seem that happy.” She crossed her arms and squinted at him.

 

“Well, it’s not that I don’t want to catch up with my memories but we had just watched 3 tapes, 3 days’ worth of memories. I don’t think my back will be too pleased with the idea. Besides, what time is it now?”

 

Woohyun looked out of the display glass of the store and frowned when he saw the sky was still dark. Strange because he swore he had sat on the stool for so long, it actually felt like 3 days.

 

“Good lord, why are you so slow? I didn’t expect you to be this dense!” Sunhee rubbed her temples. “I have no idea why you intrigued my baby brother so much. Well, you have the looks and body but he would have choked you to death by now, seeing how slowly you’re grasping the situation.”

 

Baby brother?

 

Before Woohyun could say anything though, she quickly beat him to it. “Okay, enough talking. We don’t have all the time in the world, young one. And you just can’t top talking so I have to take this upon myself to get you in the right track.”

 

What did she mean about the ‘right track? And what is this whole thing? Did he have a mission or something? Because it’s starting to look like he have one.

 

Woohyun could only sit on his stool quietly, obviously confused with everything. Sunhee on the hand was exasperatedly putting the tape into the player and hitting the play button.

 

“Don’t worry. This contains the summary of the things you should know for your journey. It won’t take long,” she said, between the statics.

 

X

 

“Did we die?” he asked, mortified.

 

She distractedly fiddled with the teacup. “As far as I know, I died. You survived, unconscious for 2 days but Sunggyu….”

 

“Sunggyu. How about Sunggyu?” His hands were cold, palms clammy as he gripped the stool so hard, trying his best to stay calm after obtaining this piece of information.

 

“He’s comatose. I don’t know for how long though because time works differently here.”

 

“What is this place, anyway?” Now that he realized how the outside was still dark although he had been sure to be spending over 3 days in there.

 

It took him 3 days to realize. No wonder Sunhee was losing her .

 

 

And he finally gave him the ‘reviving tea’ so he’ll recover his memories fully.

 

“Reviving tea?” Woohyun said, seemingly amused with the choice of name. “Like seriously?”

 

“In all honesty, we don’t really have a name for that so JUST SHUT UP AND DRINK IT!!!”

 

 

“Limbo? Purgatory? I’m not really sure myself.”

 

“How can you not know?”

 

“Well, sorry mister but I haven’t been dead for that long,” she huffed. “And I was informed that I won’t be here for long so I don’t see the point of dwelling on it. After knocking some sense into you, I’ll be free to go.”

 

“Then, where will you go after this? Heaven? Hell? Another inter dimensional space that God never really told us humans about?”

 

Sunhee shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. My fate is yet to be determined but I will much appreciate to not end up in hell. It’s quite warm there,” she said, humored. “Maybe this is God’s way for me to deem myself. After all, I was driving the car. I am to blame for Sunggyu’s state.”

 

Yes, that day. Sunhee was the one driving the car when they collided with a truck. According to the last tape, they were going out for lunch. The siblings picked him up at work. He could feel something bubbling in his chest as he watch the him in the screen trudging towards the brown haired guy before enveloping the latter in a hug. It’s not visible in the screen but he knew he was smiling broad.

 

His reverie however, is cut short when Sunhee started to talk again. “You sound pretty lax considering your situation right now, a clueless human, neither dead nor alive, wondering aimlessly in the Limbo.”

 

“So, it’s Limbo now?”

 

“Let’s just called this the Limbo,” she waved her hand dismissively. “It’s much more convenient than Purgatory. With two less syllable.”

 

Woohyun spluttered, “What? The next thing we know, Hades gonna suddenly popped out around the corner and say hi.” He slapped his thigh at his remark. “Oh, wait. Hades resides in the underworld. Not here, I guess.”

 

Sunhee glared at him, “Now, don’t be too happy because Hades also comes here once in a while.”

 

“Wait what?!” Woohyun choked.

 

“Well, he sort of like a Hades, sans the horrifying look and the fiery stuff. He’s more like the one who is in charge to keep everything smooth running here. The underworld is his main realm but Limbo is already halfway to death so it’s kinda in hs work interest,” she taps her chin in thought. “ Limbo is rather dull compared to the underworld. Not much happened, mostly lost souls floating aimlessly before death comes to collect them. Meaning, there isn’t much thing to manage anyway. That’s why your presence down here is not very welcomed because you had just thrown the balance off. You’re more alive than dead. I don’t think he’s super delighted by it.”

 

“Wait, why do you know a lot about this stuff when you haven’t been long here yourself. Did you meet him?”

 

“Actually yes, I did met him. He personally asked me to assist your journey and get your together. The faster you get out, the better.” She then exasperatedly grumbled, “It would be easier if he didn’t wipe out all your memories clean but of course he just had to make everything hard for us and stash the memories on into thousands upon thousands of VHS tapes. What a funny guy.”

 

“So people don’t usually lost their memories here? I’m the only one?”

 

“You’re a special case. You forced yourself to be here. As I said before, you survived the accident and avoided death. But you sneaky little actually found a way to slip yourself in here,” she points an accusatory finger at him. “Like an unexpected guest, your presence is not welcomed here.. And maybe as a petty revenge, they wiped out all of your memories.”

 

“But if I’m not welcomed here, won’t they want to get rid of me fast? Why wipe out my memories because it will only make my stay longer?”

 

She jutted her lips in thought, “Perhaps they want to mess around with you. Besides, what’s the fun to shoo you away just like that. Might as well have some fun.”

 

Woohyun stared at her in disbelieve. “I hope you’re happy,” he sulked.

 

“Hey, I was brought here all thanks to you! If not for you, I would’ve had been sipping on margarita somewhere in heaven by now.” She rose from her seat and yanked Woohyun up from his too, Ushering him to the door. “ Gee, you’re so persistent with my baby brother. I can’t believe you have the guts to seek for him down here. Till that much extent. Just, wow.”

 

“Wait! What are you doing?” Woohyun almost stripped on his feet. He tried to twist his body around but the grip on his shoulders were vice. “You’re going to throw me out to the curb just like that? Aren’t you going to tag along?”

 

“Oh, no no no. I’m not going with you. You brought this upon yourself so might as well face it. Besides, I’ve already done my part so, move along now.” She opened the door, bells chiming and pushed the man out of the threshold. “Good luck with finding my Sunggyu!”

 

“B-But where would I find him? I don’t know this place. What if I accidentally fall into a mysterious hole and get into the depth of hell,” he cried in horror.

 

“Just take the subway. You’ll figure out the rest.”