Twas the Dae before Christmas

Christmas Angel

It's been six months since Youngbae and I acknowledged we were more than brothers. More than hiding in our hotels rooms every night, having a secret rondevou during our tour. We told jiyong first, being the great leader that he is, he already knew. Actually he said it was obvious and that it was about time he got tired of trying not to say anything. Youngbae thought it was hilarious since he had such a cheap mouth too. Top sent us a bottle of wine and a potrait of lovers while at a art gallery in italy. Seungri just texted us that we could stop by at any aori ramen and the food was on him.

We had four days for Christmas then it'll be off to Japan for a dome tour. Youngbae had a recording for Mcountdown Christmas special. Jiyong was going as support so I decided I wanted to show my support a different way. It's our first Christmas since deciding to be a couple. I just wanted to make it special. I normally don't cook because he likes to, but this time I wanted to try my best for him. 

I bought a new silver cross necklace with angels wings on it for him. I don't usually give gifts, seeing as it's our first as a couple I wanted to do something special. I decorated my apartment. I just needed to grocery shop while he was at the show. How hard could it be to cook a turkey and some side dishes. I googled easy christmas recipes. Okay I just need a deep pan for the turkey,then some ingredients for the dressing, turkey broth, corn bread, sage, onions just to name a few. 

I threw on some sweat pants, a hoodie, a mask. My disguise to go shopping. I was determined to do this all by myself, no managers, body guards, in and out of the store in an hour. I slap both my face cheeks, ball my hands in a fists

"Fighting! Let's go!"

The store was just down the street from my apartment. I causally walk d in like I wasn't a celebrity. I was just hoping that ahjummas wouldn't recognize me. It's funny how they older ladies notice me quicker than the younger woman sometimes. I pushed my buggy, got a turkey, and continued checking everything off my list. The only thing missing was cranberries. They were sold out of fresh ones. I knew Youngbae loved the freshest ingredients in his food but he was just gonna have to be satisfied with canned cranberries.

 

*********

 

My plan worked, I made it home and nobody noticed me. I some music so I could dance off my nervousness. Pulled the turkey recipe up on my tablet so I could stand it on the counter while I read what to do. The first thing I needed was my gloves. I was so squimish at pulling out the neck and giblets. 

"Gross, gross"

I jerked my arm out so fast, the inards slipped from my hands and hit the floor.

"Dang it"

I managed to wash the turkey and put it in a pan before sliding acrossed the floor to get the guts. after tossing them in the trash can. I grabbed all the stuffing ingredients pouring it all into the pan at once. 

"I hope this is right"

It looked like a mushy mess of herbs and brown crumbs. The smell wasnt horrible but wasnt the best either. With fresh gloves I grabbed handfulls of the stuffing and stuffed that turkey til she was leaking outside. I rubbed, salt pepper, and butter all over her. poured the broth in the bottom of the pan, covered it in tin foil and left her in my oven, for the next four hours I have other things to cook and clean. I even bought a red christmas table cloth for my dining room table. I lit a few apple pie scented candles, danced around my living room while waiting for things to cook. my alarm went off for the live show to come on with Youngbae.

"Beautiful"

Were the only words I whispered under my breath. He was especially with that all red and black ensemble. Blonde hair shinging for bright. He was definitley my sun. I couldnt wait til tonight. Some time during the program waiting for his turn I mustve dozed off. I heard the sound of sizzling coming from my kitchen. I jumped over my couch. my legs slipped out from under me I crashed into my fridge. I had forgotten to finished cleaning up the giblets liquids on the floor. With a brused shoulder I looked at my stove top. What was supposed to me maroon colored cranberries turned into black burnt nothings. I slammed the burnt food pot and all into my sink. I was so mad at myself. 

"Well he would rather have fresh anyways"

My phone went off Jiyong sent me a picture of Youngbae next to the satge getting ready. So I knew he would be next. I was expecting to hear his single darling, instead I was surprised with a version of silent night, his vocals so beautiful I cried. I sent Jiyong a text saying perfect <3. He sent me a sun emoji. I called my mom to help me on how I should make the bibimbap, and kongnamool. I knew how to make bibimbap, the rolls didnt turned out perfect, rice over flowing out of the wrap but I guess it was the thought that matter.  The bean sprouts from the kongnamool were rather more taxing than I thought. I tried cooking them in water, but It wasnt enough so I had to add more and wait for it to boil, the water splashed the top of my hand as I went to drain it, cause me to drop the pot into the sink. with only half of them being salvagable. I could almost cry. I already burnt one food, and dropped the other. almost crushed my fridge. I started yelling with my fists in the air.

"Cut me some slack, what else could go wrong"

I knew I was gonna regret that as soon as those words left my lips. My power started flickering. My phone started ringing. the words BAE. Made me feel a bit better

"Hey, what you doing?"

"Just watching you on the tv"

"Oh you did?"

"I noticed you sang my favorite christmas song, after we talked about it the other day."

"Hope I didnt do bad"

"Oh no, Bae it was perfect"

We kept on talking, he told me about his day and how Jiyong kept teasing him about us. and told him we needed to get together with the group instead of just the chat room. The smell of fire caught me off guard

"SHOOT, I GOTTA GO"

"Oh okay, well see you to..click"

I hung up before he finished his sentence

"NO NO NO! WHY WHY WHY?"

I just dropped to my knees crying. after four hours of sweating and torturing my oven that stupid turkey started turning black. I had turned the tempature up too high. When the loud alarm pierced my ears then I knew I was in trouble. The stupid sprinklers went off soaking everything in my living room and kitchen, including my new suede shoes I was wearing for the dinner. Before I could get the alarm to go off there was beating at my door.

"Seoul Fire department is anyone in there?"

My voice so distraught from crying

"I am okay"

I ran over and unlocked my door as they were yelling they were gonne use the axe to come in.

"Sir, are you okay?"

"I just burnt that damn turkey is all"

I heard the giggle in his voice.

"Anytime an alarm goes off in this building we have to respond. please try not to burn food. if you can not cook you could always order take out"

The sprinklers had finally stopped at this point. my head was soaked, my anger building

"I JUST WANTED OUR CHRISTMAS TO BE SPECIAL"

He reached out patted the top of my head. 

"It'll get better just try again."

I waited for them to leave, pulled out my phone, started texting

BAE

D - Change of plans,a pipe flooded my apartment so I will meet you at yours tonight

Y - Sorry, I'm gonna be a little late

D - no worries

How could I reassure him when I wasnt even sure myself. Right now was the worst christmas ever.

"Why why why, I just wanted to do something nice. why"

I looked through my phone

Seunghyun - Hyung

Pressed call.

"hey"

I couldnt speak

"Daesung?"

I just strated sniffling

"Hyung can you help me?"

"What happened?"

I explained everything. after laughing for a good five minutes, he told me to come over to his place and we could make a plan.

 

************

 

Thirthy minutes later I pressed the door bell holding the bibimbap and what konamool I had left in containers, my hand bandaged from the slight burn, and my shoulder was throbbing. I was just grateful he was gonna be late tonight.

"Hyuuuuuung"

 I cried into his shoulder and he just patted my head.

"There there we can fix this, bae won't know anything happened, except that bandage  on your hand but it'll be okay. He'll just be happy you are okay"

"Let's call this chef i know down the road, maybe he could help"

'You think he would?"

"He owes me a favor"

I sat around chugging the glass of wine he had poured for me. He walked back into the room

"Good news, he's free now and told us to come over"

"Really? thanks hyung"

"Anything for my dongsaengs"

Seunghyun was still in his pajamas as we walked down the street to the chef's restaurant. he was smoking a cigarette looking around

"Hyung hurry up"

I grabbed his wrist and pulled it to speed him up

"HOT HOT"

The ashes from his cigarette fell onto the top of my hand

"AISH!"

"Calm down, if youngbae knew you went through all this and got hurt just for him he'd be mad"

I shook the sting from the heat off my hand. the ash had barely grazed me. Seunghyun rubbed my hair, dont worry, Youngbae will be happy if you just be you"

"Just be me huh"

We stopped in front of small restaurant, the neon sign said closed, Seunghyun knocked on the door, this short black haired man opened it

"Oh seunghyun come on in"

"This is Daesung"

"Hello"

We followed him through the resutrant to the back where the kitchen wasn. so many silver bowls and utensils everywhere. the smell of turkey, and veggitables in the air.

"I was just finishing up this for tomorrow's meal"

he lifted the lid off the magical mixture's scent flooded my nose. he handed me a spoon told me to give it a taste. perfect. beyond perfect. I couldnt stop dancing.

"How long does it take to make this?"

"FIve hours"

"I dont have five hours, at the most I got is three"

"Tell you what I'll give you two bowls of this, you buy some wine and it'll be a present from me"

"reeeeally?"

"Sure, Seunghyun eats here all the time, I'll add it to his tab"

We all laughed, at least I had more food than just bibimbap and konamool. My stomach began growling as we packed up the food to go. I had forgotten to eat after everything had happen. We carried the plates back to Seunghyun house, he tossed an apple at me as I thanked him and waved bye. I still needed to get to youngbae's house and set up. he lived the furthest from Seunghyun so it took a good hour to get there thanks to holiday traffic. Youngbae had given me the passkey code to get in last month when he got back from Japan.

 

*******

 

Everything was clean spotless, his mother mustve been there earlier. usually I can find a suitcase, or some piece from a pajama set laying around. I started going through his dishes, looking for things to put the food out on. I heard my phone rinng, my fingers with gloves on i used my nose to press the answer button. I couldnt help giggling at myself.

"You okay?"

"Huh oh yeah sorry hyung"

"You at my house?"

"Yeah, hope you are hungry"

I heard the beeping from the numbers on the doors, he pullled it open

"Starving"

"Hyung I wasnt ready"

"I wont look I'm going to change"

I just grabbed a few dishes and emptied the food onto them, laid them on his dining table

"It's ready"

"Smells delicious"

"I brought wine"

 He walked over and brought out his angel wine cork opener.

"are you tired?"

I mumbled under my breath You have no idea

"OMO"

i was surprised feeling his weight on my back, his arms around my waist

"thank you for this"

it was like all the pain and tiredness has lifted away

"why are you crying"

"I tried so hard to get everything right but it all just kept falling apart, and I even had to get big seunghyun hyung to help me"

"the only thing I really made was bibimbap and konamool"

I just broke down in his arms telling him everything that had happened today. I was a sniffling snotting mess. he used his thumbs wiping my tears away, sliding his hand under my chin

"Daesung look at me"

i gave another big sniffle before looking up.

"stay with me"

"TONIGHT?"

"Tonight, tomorrow, until whenever"

"Maybe just until my apartment is fixed"

He leaned in giving my cheeks a small peck, then my forehead

"perfect"

"Wait wait I did get you something"

I went to get up and he just pulled me back to him

"I'll see it later right now, just holding you in my arms is the best present I could have"

My phone beep telling me it was midnight, which meant it was officially christmas day

"he pushed his lips onto mine, Merry christmas Daesung"

"Merry christmas indeed"

He was right, presents can wait, right now in this moment we were happy, content and simply loving one another. That was the best gift of all.