Insecurities

Insecurities

 

The first time Jinki meets Kibum’s ex, they’re both out grocery shopping in their local supermarket. The guy is the kind of tall, mysterious dark-haired man that everyone would fall for. Jinki feels a little pang to the heart when he compares himself to the other man. Anyone would agree that he’s a lot handsomer than Jinki will ever be, and no, that’s not his paranoia talking. He’s just being objective.

 

The guy’s eyes light up a little when they fall on Kibum, and Jinki really can’t blame him because anyone would feel that way if they saw him. He’s perfect. He’s got killer looks, the most enchanting smile, and - even though it’s hard to tell just by looking at him - the most amazing personality ever.

 

Jinki often wonders what he did in his past lives to get to date someone like Kibum.

 

Kibum quickly introduces them to each other and they shake hands a little awkwardly. Most people would probably be upset about seeing their ex, but they both broke up in good terms and they don’t feel any sort of hatred towards each other. Which is probably a good thing, but if he is being honest, Jinki would have felt a little better if they hated each other’s guts.

 

Minho’s smile is the kind of charming smile that every girl or boy would fall for. The bright smile you see on tv ads for toothpaste and anything teeth-related, really.

 

Jinki would have been relatively okay if the guy had been just that: nice looks. Except he isn’t. He isn’t the kind of good-looking jerks you see in movies. He’s just a good-looking nice guy. Jinki couldn’t see a single flaw that would have made Kibum break up with him, and that’s the worst thing, because his mind is already making up scenarios about Kibum still loving him, about them getting back together after Kibum realized Minho was better than Jinki. And for a moment, as they’re both talking in the canned food section of the supermarket, Jinki holding onto his shopping cart with both hands as he watches them absentmindedly, he could already picture Kibum turn to him with a sad smile, ready to tell him they aren’t made for each other after all.

 

Reality catches up to him when Kibum does turn to him with a smile and Jinki watches with a frown as Minho waves them goodbye and walks away from them.

 

“You okay, old man ?” Kibum asks with an amused smile and Jinki needs a couple seconds to get back to his usual happy self.

 

“Sure.” He lies, smiling awkwardly. Kibum frowns a little but says nothing however, and they go back to shopping.


 

It’s only when they’re both lying in bed that night that Kibum brings it up.

 

“You were a little off today.” He whispers, drawing circles with his fingers on Jinki’s chest. The lights are still on because they’ve just gone to bed and they like to talk a little before sleeping. Jinki usually falls asleep as soon as the lights are off, however, so they keep the lights on for a bit. “Ever since we ran into Minho this morning, actually.”

 

“Oh ?” Jinki says, fumbling with the hem of his boyfriend’s shirt.

 

“Something’s troubling you.”

 

It’s not a question, because Kibum reads him like an open book and he can tell something’s wrong. Kibum sits up and Jinki knows there won’t be any way out of this. He’s not the one to talk easily about his feelings but it’s impossible not to give in when Kibum’s got him cornered like this. His boyfriend is stubborn and he believes that communication is key in a relationship. Not that Jinki disagrees with that - he totally agrees, actually - but he would rather not bother him with his stupid fears.

 

“I don’t know what you see in me.”

 

“Jinki…” Kibum trails off with a reassuring smile, already aware of his boyfriend’s insecurity.

 

“I’m so different from your past boyfriends.”

 

“So what ?” Kibum asks. “Don’t you think I look different from your ex ? She was a girl.”

 

Jinki can’t keep himself from smiling at that and neither can Kibum.

 

“I mean… Minho’s perfect. I don’t even see why you’d break up with him.”

 

“Should I be worried that my boyfriend has a crush on my ex ?” Kibum jokes.

 

“No !” Jinki says, sitting up as well and taking Kibum’s hands in his. “Come on, be serious for one second.”

 

“Okay, okay.” Kibum says and sighs. “Minho and I broke up because we realized we didn’t have feelings for each other anymore. You don’t have to worry about me leaving you to go back to him. It’s never gonna happen.”

 

“We can’t be sure.”

 

“No, but we can’t be sure of anything !” Kibum says, sighing. “I mean, can I be sure that you’ll never get tired of me and leave me for a girl ? No, I can’t. But I trust you, and I thought you trusted me.”

 

“Do you really think I’d leave you for a girl ?” Jinki says, eyes widening at the new information.

 

“Hey, you have your insecurities and I have mine. Don’t judge.” Jinki is about to reply when Kibum interrupts him. “Don’t you dare tell me that it doesn’t make sense because hey, I’m your first guy, it could totally happen. And about what I see in you...”

 

Kibum takes his face in his hands and pecks his lips softly. Jinki doesn’t let him go however, and soon they’re kissing deeply, their hands running over each other’s bodies like their lives depended on it. Kibum eventually pulls away though, and he smiles at Jinki.

 

“You make me happy. That’s what I see in you. That’s the only thing that matters.”

 

Jinki just stares at his boyfriend silently. It probably isn’t the answer he expected, but it makes sense. It’s simple and true. The whole point in being in a relationship is to make each other happy.

 

“I hope I make you happy too.” Kibum says after a while, and Jinki smiles.

 

“You do.”

 

And if that’s enough for Kibum, and maybe it could be enough for him.

 

As long as they make each other happy, anything else doesn’t matter.