Chapter 2

Serendipity

7:45 p.m.

“And that’s what happens.” Chaeyeon told the others on her ankle injury as Nayoung, Chungha and her ate pizzas and jjangmyeon at her apartment living room. Her right foot was rested on an ottoman.

Since she’s the one that usually cook for her and Chungha and considering her condition right now, there’s going to be a lot of ordering out for the next few days which was fine by her because there are times she’s too lazy to cook. Her roommate offered to buy and pay for the foods.

“I’m surprised there’s no bump on your head when the book fell on you.” Chungha said with a mouthful.

“Yeah. The books weren’t even that thick but still he carried those books until you can’t even see his face.” Chaeyeon said. “What was weirder was that he stared at my bracelet and necklace and didn’t let go of my hand for quite some time.” She recalled the expression on his face when he did and it was something she can’t even explain herself. Plus it seems that he knew her judging by the way he looked at her then again she was a popular student around the campus.

Not to brag though but it’s true. Everyone knew her and guys always asked her out (she always ended up rejecting them) but why does it seem like he looked at her rather differently, to say the least. Like he saw past her looks and popularity and just see the real her?

Why am I even thinking like this? She shook her head. It’s partly his fault that she got injured in the first place. If he wasn’t there, she wouldn’t even be late and her ankle would be just as fine.

“Speaking of it, I always wondered how you got that bracelet and necklace.” Chungha said.

That brought a smile from Chaeyeon as she both accessories. Both were engraved with sayings that help her go through her days seeing that at one point of her life in high school, she was silently struggling with her school and her modelling career. “It was a mystery gift actually when I was in high school. I was going to put my two folders under the table when I saw a red ribbon string dangling out. I checked and there’s a small gift box with a stick it note to it. It didn’t say anything much only it’s from someone named Jeffrey.” She told her two friends.

The bracelet had the simple words ‘Keep your head up, Keep your heart strong’ while the necklace with its round pendant had the words ‘When you go through deep waters I will be with you’. The latter one she thought, implied that her mystery person will always be there for her, though not physically but in spirit supporting and looking out her no matter what situation she was in. For that, she was really grateful and cherished both of the accessories.

“Do you know who this Jeffrey guy?” Nayoung curiously asked.

“No. I don’t think we even have a foreign exchange student at that time. However, I am thankful though for the gift because it helped me in a lot of way.”

“Definitely someone from your school. I mean how could he know where you sit?” Nayoung stated. “Probably a secret admirer who just doesn’t want to be rejected you.” She continued, teasing her friend who just ignored her.

Chungha had a thoughtful look on her face before saying “Do you think the mystery giver is the guy who you met today? I mean he did stare at your necklace and bracelet. He was probably surprised you wore his gifts.”

Logic but also impossible.

“I don’t think it’s him because it’s the first time I saw him today. He’s probably curious what was written when he saw it.” Chaeyeon dismissed her friend’s assumption.

The three girls chatted and ate some more with Chungha sharing that she’s currently stressed with the two assignments given to her while at the same time trying to find times to teach her choreography class at a dance studio.

“Looks like I have to talk with the director about this. If there’s no other choice, then I have to take some time off for a while.” Chungha turned somber as she said that. “How about you Chaeyeon? With your ankle right now, how about your schedule? Have you discussed it with your manager?”

Chaeyeon nodded. “I have no schedule for the next weeks but next month it’s going to be a busy month for me again. So for now I’m just going to take some time to rest and recuperate. It’s really been an exhausting month for me.”

Nayoung glanced at her watch. “Well I have to go. I have an early class tomorrow. Thanks for the foods Chungha and Chaeyeon, take it easy. Don’t forget to call me if you need any help.” She reminded her friend again

The said person just rolled her eyes but knew her friend meant it well. After she left, Chungha tidied up place and then helped her roommate with the ice pack and replacing with a new bandage.

Chaeyeon slowly walked to her room with Chungha holding her hand.

“There. Now sleep. You need to heal that ankle of yours quickly because I don’t think I can live off fast food and deliveries.” Chungha joked.

However her roommate didn’t hear a thing as she had already fell asleep the moment she hit her head on the pillow clearly drained by the day. Chungha pulled up the blanket and closed the door behind her.

***

Jaehyun briefly greeted the security guard as he walked towards the apartment where she lived in. The guard stopped and asked him the purpose of his coming which Jaehyun truthfully told him.

According to his friend Ten (who found out about the address from his friend), Chaeyeon and her roommate Chungha lived in the apartment that was not far from their university.

He entered the lobby floor and looked out for the girls’ apartment number on the many mailboxes. He found it and slipped the brown bag inside which contain the Epsom salt bath that can help with that twisted ankle of hers. Unlike last time, this time he did left a small note for her but still no name though she would know that the bag would be from him. He would rather she not know his name anyway as the way he’s here and knowing the address, it’s a bit stalkerish already.

He had read on the internet that soaking the feet with Epsom salt bath can help reduce the swelling and pain and went to search for it. Unfortunately not many stores have it until he found one near his neighbourhood. He hoped she would check her mailbox tomorrow. He still felt guilty that he caused her injury.

He said his goodbye to the guard and left.